Dish Networkdish network receiver equipment scam!!!

P Review updated:

I was a customer of Dish Network for almost 10 years. In August of 2009, I moved discontinuing my services with them. A week later, Dish Network sent me two boxes in which I was to return two receivers. I returned both receivers on 8/25/2009. Today, January 29, 2010, nearly 6 months later, I receive a letter in the mail from Dish Network indicating that my debit card would be charged $200 for an unreturned receiver. Obviously, I was upset and quite confused, so I called Dish Network. I cannot begin to tell you the rude and unprofessionalism portrayed by Dish Network with what was clearly a mistake on their end. I spoke to Mandy (U6T) and Darlene (6PR) with their manager Terry giving information to them intermediately.

When an account is closed with Dish Network, boxes are sent almost immediately for receivers to be returned, and I did just that – returned my receivers. Once again, I returned these receivers in August of 2009. If receivers are not returned within 30 days, the customer is billed for all unreturned receivers. My question to Dish Network was if my account was closed in August, AND if customers are billed 30 days later on unreturned receivers, why am I just now, in January of 2010 getting this bill? In response, Darlene and Mandy agreed that something went wrong within the system. I said “Exactly! Please remove this charge"! They refused to remove the charge unless I supplied them with a tracking number for the unreturned receiver. I said, “What if I can’t find the paperwork anymore? What if there was a fire? Then what do I do”? I was told that I could call the UPS main number and get that information. This information was completely false. When I called UPS, I was told that they could not supply me with that information. Fortunately, I was able to find the receipt with the tracking numbers I received from the UPS store from day I returned the packages. It took me hours of digging through paperwork, but I found it - thank goodness. My entire day was ruined because of this, but I had to find that receipt – it was my only recourse. When I called Dish Network with the tracking number, I was told my account would be credited on my next statement. I said “I haven’t received a statement from you folks in 6 months – my account has been closed. I don’t even live at that same address”!! At that point, I asked for some type of confirmation as proof my credit card would not be billed. Unfortunately, I was not provided any kind of confirmation – basically it was just their word. Scary!! I can only hope that Dish Network does not bill my credit.

In my opinion, this is a scam being run by Dish Network. Times are hard and these companies are looking for any way to make extra money. Many people do not keep receipts from packages sent six months prior. One would think the issue is over and perhaps discard the receipt, and that’s exactly what Dish Network seems to be banking on. My advice is when dealing with Dish Network receiver return system, KEEP YOUR TRACKING NUMBER DOCUMENTATION! This way when they hit you with a $200 bill for a receiver that you returned six months prior, you have some type of recourse. If you lose that receipt – you have nothing! No recourse at all. I hope this saves one person from the horrific experience I’ve been through with Dish Network.

P. Mackey

• Pm
    pmackey12345 Mar 20, 2010

Well you're not going to believe this. Dish Network just called me again asking for the $213.00 to cover the cost of the receiver - the one I sent back in August. I haven't heard from them since January (see above). Here it is two months later, and they call again asking for the tracking number. If I didn't have that number, I would have been accountable for the $213.00. Now tell me this isn't some kind of scam. Per Charles (ETS) my account is at a zero balance - at least it is for today. I'll keep the tracking number handy at my desk for the next call. At some point, Dish Network will see this scam isn't going to work on me. I have my tracking number - do you? I hope so.

• De
    Delta188Mom Sep 26, 2019

@pmackey12345 I’m currently going through the same thing now! Except I was charged $200 for braking my contract with them and $ 470. For not returning the equipment. I have been with this company for over 20 years and I also opened and paid for my mother’s account at her house for over 8 years! Now I will admit that I did get behind I owe them $ 197. But when my services were disconnected, I called to explain that my Mother had been in the hospital for the past 6 weeks and then passed away. We laid her to rest one week before mother’s day! I asked for two weeks to get current and the only thing I was offered is to pay the bill and late charges $ 300 + and if I did that they would just charge me suspendtion fees. I tried to explain the cost of my Mother’s services and used the fact of my loyalty to them over (Again) the past 20 years and the fact that I was also a loyal paying coustomer on my Mother’s account! I was completely blown away by the lack on loyalty I was shown by Dish and now 4 my later my account is being charged over $400 for Equipment that was returned to them! No, I don’t have the tracking number and now I have to battle with UPS to find Dish equipment! I will rent from Red Box, buy movies go to the movies even not watch TV before I ever do business with Dish again and I will warn against using them to anyone and everyone who will listen! I truly deserved at best a two week extension, if not for any other reason that my 28 years of loyalty to them! Not anymore! Not ever!!! I’m thinking a class action lawsuit! I agree it’s a scam!!!

• Un
    unchienne Apr 27, 2010

I had something similar happen to me with Dish, except mine was harder to prove b/c they said I returned all but one piece of the equipment. This was back when they were still requesting both the receiver and the lnb (wand-thingies) from the satellite dish. All put into one box and shipped via UPS. They said they got it but was missing the lnb and were going to charge me over 100 dollars for it. I honestly think the only thing that saved me from being charged was the fact that I soon reconnected after that. Had, in fact, only disconnected b/c of financial reasons that were later overcome. Service-wise from the products only, I couldn't have been happier. Had perfect cable even during hurricane season. Service from their employees has been dreadful.

When I moved, I took the service with me and then was given the option to bundle. Took it, only the rep never told me that bundling would put me in another 2 year agreement. Luckily, I was happy with the service, so it didn't weigh that heavily with me, but the installation was shoddy. The new house had an existing pole mount several feet away from the house and the guy installed it with the wire just laying on top of the grass. He was just so lazy. He didn't have to install a thing...it had pre-existing wires in every room, all he did was mount the dish on the pole and plug in the box, but he was still couldn't find the time or energy to use his tools to bury the cable?

I love the service but the you're right. The people that work there are just incompetant. Luckily, the service had been so good that I didn't have to talk to any of them often, but it's sort of telling when EVERY SINGLE CONTACT is mishandled in some way.

• Ye
    yenoh Jul 26, 2010

don;t be afraid to go to the Colorado Attorney General to file formal complaints against Dish.

[email protected] Dec 21, 2010

Hi, this is Alicia Brink with DISH Network customer service. I apologize that you had to endure the extra steps to providing us with updated information on the return of your equipment. Where normally, when someone moves we get an updated address, if the updated address is not added to the account it does become harder to get you the information in a timely manner. I am glad you were able to find the information after so long to help us correct the account.

• Ti
    Tim Powell Mar 31, 2017

@[email protected] OMG-What's your job title, "COMPLETE ### BLOGGER"? What you don't get is it's getting out there in the real cash money consumer consciousness that you people are liars, incompetent and involved in perpetuating an ongoing systematic consumer fraud business focus that is entirely subject to tracking and proving criminal infractions on a wholesale basis. Dish will suffer corporate loss blame and conspiracy due to this and...well, your probably going to be one of the defendants. How's that gonna feel when it all hits the fan and a class action suit as well as real criminal charges start to be applied. Bet your corporate legal experts circle the wagons and you find yourself on the outside without as much as a tiddleedo from these people. Have fun then STOOGE!

• Fe
    femfreebird Jan 27, 2011

Alicia, you are trying to sugar coat the reality of the situation these people are in. It had nothing to do with the change of address. It has to do with outright fraud. I went through this twice with Comcast. I'm on here now because I just found out that the service plan charge of $6 a month by Dish is because if something happens to my equipment, I will only be charged $15 to send out a technician instead of $95. I asked why I would be charged $95 if there were a problem with your equipment. I was told that's just the way it is. If I wasn't happy with it, you would be happy to discontinue my service. I'm sure you would, since you would charge me an early disconnect fee. You people suck. Cable, satellite, it doesn't matter. You all deal fraudulently, and I can't wait until you are found out and sued for everything and you all lose your precious jobs being rude, beligerent, and condescending to the people who have kept you in those jobs this long.

[email protected] Feb 06, 2011

FemFreeBird,
    Hi, this is Alicia Brink. I'm with DISH Network. I understand your frustration. Your specific situation is different from the initial concern I had addressed. They were upset about receiving return boxes, that was due to the address being changed. I understand your frustration. When you have equipment leased through us it is still under warranty and we cover the cost to replace the equipment if needed. If a technician is required to make a home visit there is a charge for that but we will not charge you any additional fees to replace the equipment if needed. Because we understand it may be difficult for customers we do offer a service plan to help with this cost. Our service plan is like no other company out there. We have taken the needs of our customers and created a resolution for them through our service plan. Our service plan is available at any time even if you already have an existing issue. Our goal is to provide customers satisfaction.

• Zc
    zcuda Mar 12, 2011

I am having a problem with dishnetwork too. i bought a new house and they moved my service for me. when they did it, they caused a great deal of damage to my house. they sent some one to look at the damage. they offered me a new dvr 722 recveiver in place of a check for the damage to my house, which would have been over $300.00 to fix, i agreed. nowthat i am cancelling my service 4 year later they are telling me they gave the the new receiver, but only as a lease and waived the $ 200 fee to hook it up!!! i am going to try to start a class action lawsuit since they claim they charge $200 fee to upgrade your receiver as a lease. what a rip off!!!

[email protected] May 13, 2011

Zcuda,

Hi, this is Alicia Brink. I am with DISH network. I want to apologize about the confusion. I understand how frustrating it can be when you are under the assumption of one thing and than later find out something totally different. To purchase a 722 receiver is $549.00, the cost for an upgrade to a leased 722 is normally $200.00. If the equipment is leased it is required to be returned once you cancel services with us. We do have a damages department that will handle things like what happened to your home during the move. If you would like more information regarding the steps you need to take or have any other questions please feel free to email me.

Sincerely,
    Alicia Brink
    Executive Offices of Dish Network
    Office Hours: Sunday-Thurs 6:00am-2:00pm
    Fax Number: 303-723-2063
    Email: [email protected]

• Vi
    vivekjm Jun 12, 2011

Hello, Thank you for your valuable inputs. I just canceled dish network few days ago, and I was told that I would receive boxes for equipment return. I am glad I went through this forum before returning the equipment. I will make sure I will ask for a 'Signature Confirmation' at additional cost, that way I can have proof for returning the equipment. But now I am worried about them saying that 'We received the box, but one of the parts was missing'. How do I protect myself against that? Should record the whole activity of packing the receivers etc ??

• MikeL DISH Jul 12, 2011

Hi, vivekjm! I've reviewed your question and wanted to offer some input. Make sure that all parts, including the receivers, smartcards, and remote controls, are in the box(es) and that they are securely taped. What you also want to be sure to do is obtain a receipt that has the tracking number for that shipment coming back to us from the UPS agent so we're able to track its location should it get lost or delayed.

Hope that helps!

MaxVI Mar 01, 2012

I had a similar situation, but unfortunately no means of recourse.
    One of my receivers had gone bad and I contacted dish for support. They shipped the replacement soon enough, but my roommate returned the old box with their included USPS label... which had no tracking number or receipt.
    Like clockwork, they billed me for the box three months later.

It was an expensive lesson learned.
    I will be switching to direct TV in the near future, and ponying up for signature confirmation when I return the dish equipment.

• 19
    19641954 Dec 17, 2018

@MaxVI You will regret "Switching" to Directv ! Ask around about their Genie Dvr At& T has gone bankrupt at least 3xs!
    their gene DVR erases your recorded show everyday I have to unplug at least 3-4xs to try to get back some of the programs. I called the other day & got an Arrogant At&t Queens & she told me they were working on it & there was nothing she could do.
    It has been like this for 7 months?? No offer to cut down the monthly charge for my trouble & it is getting worse So she hung up on me! I am going to miss them in may 2019 when my contract is up!!

• Ga
    Garay,Maria Dec 21, 2012

Hi my name is Maria and i'm having the same problem i sent out my equipment with the boxes that dish network provide us. i don't have a receipt for the shipment that i sent out because Ups doesn't provide us with one and now Dish is charging me with $514.00..

• MikeL DISH Dec 28, 2012

MaxVI,

We hate to see you go and I would be happy to look into this situation for you! Is your service with us still active? I do apologize for the delay in this response and would look forward to hearing from you if I can assist you with this. Please let me know!

• MikeL DISH Dec 28, 2012

Garay, Maria,

It would be my pleasure to help you with that as I saw your post! Did you cancel your service with us or were you sending us back an old receiver? Please private message me your account number so I can have a look and optimally assist you with this. I appreciate your efforts and look forward to speaking with you!

• Ca
    CaelaC123 Feb 20, 2013

Dish is trying to charge me for the equipment I already sent back in October 2012 from washington, I now live in California and its almost March. Ups says my tracking label that DISH paid for isnt showing any history even though I witnessed UPS pick up my box. This is my first and last experience with DISH EVER. I am getting phone calls and voicemails saying i halfto pay $400 for the equipment I already returned with my OWN BOX bc they failed to ever provide me with one despite they calls i have requested for one before my move out date. f*** DISH

• MikeL DISH Feb 28, 2013

CaelaC123,

I understand your situation and would be happy to help you! Could you please private message me your account number so I can get this looked into and straightened out? Thank you very much and I'll look forward to your response!

Alex1008 Apr 29, 2013

I have a similar situation with DISH. I moved from my house back in march of 2010 and had DISH network for over 6 years. DISH sent me two boxes to send back the two receivers I had. I packed and sent the receivers. A couple of months later they sent me a bill for over $450, saying that they had only received one receiver. I told them I sent both and they asked for proof. Unfortunately, I lost all shipping receipts during our move and could not find the receipts. DISH sent my case to their collection agencies and until today, they are still trying to collect. I will never pay $450 for that old receiver, much less knowing that I sent it back, as instructed. Like everybody else in this forum, I truly believe DISH network is committing fraud and trying to milk their customers and ex-customers for whatever they can. After this experience, I have been telling my friends and anybody that listens to stay away from DISH. They have one of the worse customer support representatives in the industry, who only care about making a profit without regards for their customers.

Alex1008 Apr 29, 2013

They rather collect $200 - $450 and piss us up rather than to keep us as long term customers. Pathetic. I really hope DISH networks goes bankrupt/out of business, that way they won't scam other people.

• MikeL DISH May 07, 2013

Alex1008,

Your post caught my attention and I would like to assist you! When a customer moves, we do everything we can to establish signal at their new residence. Could you please private message me with your account number so I can take a look at your information and assist you further?

th!sman May 27, 2013

Ditch dish, get ROKU. I did and I am so happy. No annoyances from DISH, I don't get monthly bills with questionable charges, calling rude imbecile customer service reps chewing gum just to be told bill is correct. Gawd life is good without this pretend TV providers in my life. Actually life is sooooo good without DISH!

Oh and BTW when you cancel service be sure to send your cancellation by CMRRR mail as well and keep it for life! These punks may claim you never cancelled. USPS CMRRR never lies!

• Co
    ConcernedDishCustomer May 29, 2013

I'm scared to send my equipment in after reading all of this. I was told using their shipping labels would be $17 (which I think is BS) and that I have to detach something white from my dish. Luckily, my dish is on a pole in the ground, but Ive moved so now I have to knock on the new tenant's door to see if I can come into their back yard and get this thing from the dish. Do I send that thing in with the receiver or does it go separately? No one specified to me and I'll be contacting BBB if they try to screw with me later saying that I didn't send my stuff in "correctly." Any advice? Ive moved to no cable of any kind because it has turned into such a hassle. I love my free broadcast tv!!

pmackey12345,

I had a chance to review your post and definitely want to get this situation looked into and resolved. Can you please private message me your account number so I can have a look at your information to review the status of the shipment back to us? Thank you for your efforts and I hope to hear from you!

ConcernedDishCustomer,

Your post caught my attention as I found it interesting and would be more than happy to assist you! We hate to see you go. Please understand that not everyone uses our method of shipping to return our equipment to us so we don't feel that it's fair to increase everyone's monthly rate to cover the cost of shipping. You are by no means required to use our shipping method but we make the option available to you if you choose to. Please do not worry about returning the pole mount as it's too large of a piece of equipment to hassle with and not significant enough to return. I'd love to discuss this matter further with you if you have any additional questions, so feel free to private message me and I'll await your response!

th!sman,

I'm sorry to hear about your poor experiences with our service and it certainly hasn't been our intention to seem unhelpful and unprofessional as we strive to provide the highest quality service and support in the industry. I'll be happy to pass along your feedback and if you could please let me know which specific charges you had a concern with, I can assist you further! Thank you.

th!sman May 30, 2013

@ConcernedDishCustomer

Ask DISH if you have to remove and send the dish. I told them to send someone to go to the roof and get it anytime. They said never mind just send in the boxes. The dish is still on the side of the house, frankly I couldn't care to mess with it.

Go to a UPS (or is it FEDEX? they use) ask if you can add a signature confirmation, might cost you a bit but no DISH phoney games later.

Yep I love my Free OTA broadcasts, especially at the end of the month, no guesses as to what the bill will be this month. May I suggest a ROKYU from ebay?

th!sman May 30, 2013

I meant ROKYU cheap off eBay/CL.

• Mr
    Mr.Sunshine May 30, 2013

I've been away from Dish for over 5 years. I just called to switch back and they said i had an unreturned equipment fee of over $1000!!! Watch out when you are returning equipment! Shame on me for not having the tracking number for the stuff I RETURNED IN THE BOX THEY SENT ME! Maybe if I didn't return this 'equipment' they could have notified me at some point in the last 5 years? Anyway, thanks for nothing DISH! I really wanted to like you but we're done.

• Mi
    mindelu Jun 10, 2013

My husband just received a collection notice today for equipment he retuned to dish over FIVE years ago!!! After reading these posts I am trying to prepare my self for the confrontation ahead! I agree with all of you that this is simply a scam on DISH's part to get money out of people. You see there is this trick about companies charging accounts off and selling them to collection agencies. They do that so quickly, and even though they may reach an agreement to "settle" the account with the customer directly, they never pull the account back from collections. Once that collection company owns the account, the customer is stuck in the wonderful world of LIMBO! Do yourself a favor, stay far, far away from these companies!!!

• Mi
    mindelu Jun 10, 2013

And BTW, Mikel, maybe you could stop offering the same old sorry rehearsed empathetic responses and start making some changes in your company. Quit over charging your customers and just be honest. No one here needs to hear your empty, misguided words of consolation. Thanks!

th!sman Jun 12, 2013

Always document. If you cancel on the phone, record the call then send in a cancellation letter by CMRRR. If you negotiate a settlement, obtain documentation-proof of deal offered, cashed check, etc. Keep all documents for life. It's the only way you can cover you butt in the future against these miscreants. If they ever hit you up with a collection notice send them a C&D or a FOAD letter with copies of your documentation sent CMRRR. Always mention all calls are inconvenient. If they call or communicate otherwise after your CMRRR letter sue them-you entitled to about $1000. Or even make it expensive for them - hire an attorney at collectionbully.com or NACA.org, that's another $3000 they have to pay your attorney. It's time for the consumer to take back their power and exercise their rights per federal and state laws. I am sick of these corporations treating people with contemptuous disregard. Show who's the boss over your money.

• St
    sturrat Jul 17, 2013

I am going through a similar problem right now. I just emailed a Alicia this. I really dot know who else to call.

I do not know if you are still in the position you once held at dish but I figured this is worth a try.

About (2) months ago my hard drive on my receiver went out. I called dish and they sent out a replacement receiver. I installed the replacement receiver and shipped out the broken one. After a month I was receiving messages stating they haven't received my receiver and were going to charge me $300 to cover the cost of it. Keep in mind I have been a customer for roughly (7) years. After talking to a representative in the beginning of June I was reassured that there was not a problem and It will be found. Now fast forward to last Thursday, I received another voice mail regarding this receiver. I called once again and the representative stated it was in transit and would be documented that I called. Today I received and email saying that I would be charged $300 on my next bill.

Once again I called this morning and talked to another representative who said there was not a record of my phone call last week and there was nothing he could do. I am stuck here and am really frustrated! Can you let me know how to proceed?

• MikeL DISH Sep 11, 2013

th!sman,

I can understand the concerns you've had with the service and will be happy to pass them along for consideration and improvements! We hated to have seen you go and would be delighted to have you back with us if you ever consider giving us another try down the road. Please let me know of any other specific feedback you have and I wish you a wonderful rest of your week!

• Sf
    sflor47 Sep 25, 2013

I just cancelled my service and cannot seem to find my remotes. Anyone know how much this charge will be?

sflor47,

I would love to help you with this and we'd hate to see you go! Can you please private message me with your account number and four-digit PIN so I can take a look? What specific concerns have you had with the service so I understand what's going on?

Mr.Sunshine,

That's awesome to hear you've decided to give us another try and I can see your concern! Please private message me with your account number so I can take a look and see what we have going on.

mindelu,

I can understand the frustration you're going through and it's certainly never our intention to seem unhelpful or deceitful. I'd like to look into your situation for you to get this matter straightened out if you could please private message me with your account number. Your efforts would be highly appreciated and I hope to hear from you so we can discuss this further.

• Am
    amm725 Jun 18, 2014

I agree wholeheartedly with the original poster when they say KEEP ALL DOCUMENTATION OF YOUR RETURN and I might add that you keep it indefinitely.

I have just been accused by Dish Network of owing them $360 for "unreturned equipment" that I did return to them in 2012 via the return packaging they provided. I heard nothing more from Dish until now, 2014, two years later. They are using the fact that I no longer have my return receipt to their advantage. This charge is showing up on my credit report as a negative item dated March 2014. Their customer service department is less than helpful, although after an hour I did finally get the person I spoke with to file a discrepancy report about these charges and was told that I need to contact UPS for a copy of my return receipt even though they cannot provide me a specific date in 2012 to assist UPS in doing so and furthermore, that I was not the UPS customer, Dish Network was. I have contacted UPS and am waiting to hear back but I am not expecting to get much help from them since I am unable to provide them with any of the information they will need.

I am considering filing a class action lawsuit against Dish Network, it is clear that I am not the only former customer they have tried to do this to. If anyone else is interested or knows of one already filed that I can join please contact me.

• MikeL DISH Jul 11, 2014

amm725,

I came across your post and would like to assist you with that situation if you could please private message me your account number and PIN so I can review your information and see what we have going on!

• So
    Southern G Jan 28, 2015

Same thing going on here with me! What a SCAM! I have called two times and requested a return box and have yet to receive it and the Dish agent (5SY) just told me that my 30 days runs out in 5 business days and she will not give me an extension so my 30 day return period is going to be up before I receive a return box and have enough time to ship the receiver back. If they charge me for this I am going to go to small claims court and sue them. This is just wrong and TOTALLY UNETHICAL. I have had service with them for 8 years and never had a serviced interruption for non payment. So now I'm being told that I can't talk to a supervisor because they are "not available" and the agent was told that there was nothing they could do and they will not send me documentation of their expedite for the return box. Now I am talking to the agent supervisor and he (XKN) has now told me because of the receiver type I have I have 70 days from disconnection and he is sending out another box. He also told me that I was supposed to return this box on the dish itself unless I could not reach it. NO ONE HAS ASKED TOLD ME THAT UNTIL TODAY and I have asked each time I have called in for the return box. He said he can waive that charge for that return and note the account...SO...if I wouldn't have asked that question again today, there would have been a charge for that after I returned the receiver and remotes. PATHETIC and it appears to me that they do not want to make returning this equipment easy and are banking on revenue from associated non-return charges.

alvin russell May 15, 2017

i have the same thing going on my dish equipment, they said they did not get the receiver back, i got it on 03/06/17 i shipped it back on 03/07/17 now on 05/12/17 i got a email from dish they going to charge $199.00 to me, i called dish and said i returned the receiver the tracking # shows they got it on 03/08/17, dish said they have not got it, it is not over 50 miles to the return center from me, i will go to law.dish said they can not get documentation of their expedite for the return box, i talked to UPS and they said they can get it from them, now what is going on? i will be going to the north carolina attorney general on this to file a complain on dish as of now.

• Le
    Leah1968 Feb 09, 2018

@alvin russell Same going on with me I Massachusetts. I sent the equipment back NOT checking my PO tracking #. Three weeks later my 89 year old mom is bombarded with calls saying they never got the package. Talking with quite a few old customers in the area is seems they loose more equipment than they receive.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices