Having problems with Cracker Barrel?

307 Hartmann Drive
SatClosed
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

employee

my husband has worked at cracker barrel for 10 yrs, and i always knew they had problems, but also believed there were opprutunitys for people willing to work hard and who wanted to move up.Well, for one, he has reached the highest level in every position he has worked, recieved numerous awards, and has been told he can do the work of 3.All i ever hear is how great he is from other employees, and he hasnt called out in at least 2 years, and very rarely late, so what is hard for me to understand is some employees always leave without doing their closing duties, that have to be done, and he always stays to do his, and does it right, then gets yelled at for doing so, but if he was to leave, it would be the same.and the others dont do a thing and never hear a word.ok next, he is so valuable the others take turns getting sunday off, but they cant do without him, so he happily stays, but when he gets his 3 weeks of paid vacation, he only takes one, and when he comes back, for about a month he gets only about 30 hours, i guess bc they are mad for him taking this time, he is obligated to take, so then we can barely feed our 2 children.and now he wants to move up, to become manager, he knows the store inside and out, and has experience as a manager, but they have run him around in circles for almost a year, and about some of the most stupid things u can imagine, i dont even believe they have submitted it, bc they want to keep him where they need him, but what about all his hard work and dedication, shouldnt he have this chance?!they keep questioning his ability, and for ten years he has never recieved a write up, or even a warning, UNTIL he applied for management, and now he has been wrote-up, that seems funny to me.but i understand, who would want to loose such a valuable asset, but its time, he has trained others and done as much as he can do to prerare for this.!And now they dont even want to give him his 40 hours, but he is the only one who rushes in everytime they call on his day off, so really my question is, why or how could a manager treat such a reliable, hard working employee this way, cutting his hours, knowing he has a family to feed, when the 18year old trying to earn only gas money for his car, his parents bought him, this isnt right, and that kid has only been there a month!If cracker barrel did care about their employees, they wouldnt cut their hours bc they dont like something they have done, taking money out of childrens mouth just bc they can, and know in this economy, there is nothing they can do!!

• Ac
    A concerned Daughter May 04, 2012

I just got through reading what sounds exactly how my mom is being treated at her Cracker Barrel. I am not sure where this person is but I do know my mom is a hard worker and comes in on her days off because she needs the hours. She too works harder than the young people that are employed at Cracker Barrel. But as soon as there are new hires they cut her hours. There is no respect for Seniors. She is older and works hard but they just cut her hours if she asks may I take a break? My feet are killing me -- (She has arthritis) She may rest for about 5 minutes and then she is on the go again. She will work long shifts but they do not offer breaks. No one can support themselves on 13 hours a week. She needs hours so that she can make ends meet. Sometimes they yell at her if she does not smile or if for instance she forgets to say enjoy your meal. There is no cause for a public reprimand. But anytime I ever go in with her to work for a meal, they will sing her praises. Your mom is the best, we love your mom!! Then when I am gone she will have a terrible shift. Sometimes I wish undercover boss would research this cracker barrel but then again they would need more than a week. People put their best foot forward for a week. If I were to put this same complaint on their website - they would figure it out and fire her. So names have been withheld.

• Sh
    sharicastro7 Mar 08, 2013

Hello,
    I am an employee at a cracker barrel. Im 26 years old and its very sad whatyour mom is going through. I am one of the hard workers here who works hard because the other people are lazy. i work with the older ladys at my cracker barrel and i see disrespect also but not on my part. your mom can take a fifteen minute break if she has a 4 hr shift its the law so dont let them make her walk around n not have a break. also if shes overworked and the rest of the crew is slacking ask her to tell her GM and then if she/he does nothing to fix the problem call employee relations and tell them she is being treated unfairly. they will talk to corporate and tell the GM to fix or send someone in to fix the problem. I have done this a couple times and or stores gettinga little better now. If nothing is said nothing can be fixed. As for the irresponsible lazy employees there im sorry not everyone is gunna respect their elders n be teamplayers. the best of luck to you and yur mom.
    sincerely, Shari Par3 server trainer/grill cook/ expo

• Jeanna Lowman Jun 29, 2013

I am a sever at CrackerBarrel and love it, unfortunately I was 20 mins late today, my son woke me up with stomach cramps at 4. GTRANTD he is 14. but they always call mom anyway. so i I stayed up with him until 6 and fell back asleep and was 20 mins late for work, my boss made me designated runner and I never had my own area. I worked my but off at the bosses screaming at me to run food, more than half was wrong or missing food. was very embarrassing. not so sure how I feel about Cracker Barrel as a family anymore. today was horrible. I just want to do my job and am VERY sorry my son was sick during the night!

Jane Sz Nov 11, 2013

I am a backup cook at store number 118 in palm coast Florida, for the last 5 months and I have 0 absent 0 tardys, we are constantly running out of product in the middle of dinner which makes it very stressful. When the general manager is notified of this problem he says, "Don't question me about this just do your job." I believe that I do my job accordingly to the Cracker Barrel standards, if not, exceeding expectations. I believe that there is a deal of disrespect targeted towards me in a discriminatory and harassing manor. When I believe there is a way to benefit the company by reducing shrink, waste, or creating a comfortable work space, I am scolded and not heard. I feel as if I am not taken seriously. I am not sure I feel the same as I did during orientation, as I was told Cracker Barrel is open to new ideas and do not tolerate harassment or discrimination.

ANGERY GIRL Dec 11, 2013

my mom and dad went to cracker barrel at they sat 30 mins without drinks and only ordered two drinks and then sat 45 mins without food and was verry thirsty and hungry!!! THAT PLACE IS USUALLY GOOD THEIR WAITRESS'S NAME WAS SHAMEKA WORSH DAY EVER THERE!!!

VERRRRRRRYYYYYYY MADDDDDD ABOUT THATTTTTT!!!

• Ro
    Robert Hewett Aug 04, 2014

We went to Cracker Barrel with another couple Saturday evening to eat. We got our drinks and was ready to order when our waitress came to take our order, the first thing we ordered they were out of. We ask for 3 different things they were out of. My friend ordered a baked potato and they came and told us they could not sell us one as they were not fit to eat. Very disappointed in our meal!!!

• Ca
    Caitlynnn Oct 16, 2014

I worked at store 386 in Clinton nj they "cut " my hours down to one day a week because " it's the slow season" I now don't have any hours at all! The GM told me that I would be put on the schedule next week but that never happened. The worst part is how much food they throw away at the end of the night! That is a lot of product loss right there. Totally fed up with this place

• Ho
    HotJavaJack Nov 04, 2014

I have to agree that Cracker Barrel is in dire need of leadership development for its managers. I was dining in the Elkton, MD restaurant the other day. There was about a one-hour wait for a table and there appeared to be a single person bussing the entire restaurant. This young man quickly cleaned one table after another. Another employee, apparently the manager, was constantly berating this young man and giving him a hard time. After a table of around ten people paid their bill, they left behind an absolute pig pen of a mess. The bus boy plowed right in and began the massive task of cleaning the mess with no help from the so-called manager who still was on his case as if the busser were standing around doing nothing. The "manager" then said something I couldn't hear and I soon saw the bus boy with his jacket on heading out the door. Not sure what transpired but the servers had to bus their tables and the wait grew longer. I feel bad for that young man because he really hustled to get each table ready for the next guest while under withering fire from a clueless tool...

BRITTANY L Jan 19, 2015

I WAS FIRED DEC 7 FROM THE WHITE HOUSE, TN LOCATION BECAUSE I HAD A SERVER WHO WAS NOT A CHECKER CHECK MY SIDEWORK AND TABLES. I HAD NEVER GOTTEN ANY PREVIOUS WRITE-UPS OR REPRIMANDED AND FEEL I WAS DISCRIMINATED AGAINST. I AM SIX MONTHS PREGNANT AND FEEL THEY TERMINATED ME BECAUSE OF THIS. THE GENERAL MANAGER TOLD ME HOW HARD OF A WORKER I AM AND THAT IF I NEED ANY LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION TO LET HIM KNOW BECAUSE HE WOULD BE HAPPY TO WRITE THEM FOR ME. WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP! I WISH I KNEW WHO I NEED TO SPEAK TO ABOUT THIS!

• Tw
    Twenty Years Nov 15, 2015

After reading many, many complaints about Cracker Barrel situations, my conclusion is these complaints could be or are common legitimate complaints. Twenty years ago Cracker Barrel was truly about pleasing people, including paying guests and what they refer to as internal guests (employees). Over the years Cracker Barrel, like most other businesses has changed with the times. Unfortunately, most of the changes are not positive changes. I wish I could truthfully say... it is not common practice to cut employees work hours after they have taken their earned vacation time or requested days off work... it is not a so-called sweat house where employees are overworked and have very few breaks... most
    managers don't procrastinate, discriminate, indulge in favoritism, constantly break Cracker Barrel rules, etc.. Important positive... my paycheck has never been late during the past 20 years, nor has it ever bounced. Even with all the negatives I, like most Cracker Barrel employees, am continuing to do my best to make the Cracker Barrel experience a good, positive memorable experience for all.

Johnnyboy krause Jul 08, 2016

I was fired today cause of an argument with an another employee cracker barrel in Vero beach fl I learned from another co worker that I was on a list to be terminated I think that I would never step foot in that place ever again

Brittjay Jaybritt Nov 19, 2016

I have worked in 2 separate. Cracker Barrels, in. Michigan and Florida. I work like a boss! I am. "Teachers per" when it comes to managers. (which is still being treated like garbage) One time (when I was about 6 months pregnant) working in a new store and unfamiliar with the location of the tea bags, the make manager started public berating me, and timing how long it would take me to find the teabags for my table so he could have a meeting. He started raising his face and being degrading. I almost walked out, but as a Christian, I did not think that would be right. I spoke with him privately in the office and received apology... Fast forward about a year... I left CB to be a stay at home mom. I almost died while in labor, my child ended up needing a heart transplant. It was a crazy year to say the least. When I called CB and spoke with that same manager needing some information about my last work day for insurance purposes. I was greeted with a cold, rude tone, and told that he was "too busy" and may figure it out in a Monday. (to his credit he did not know about the transplant) It's funny, when I stand back and look at everything, I don't understand why I ever worked for this company

• Du
    duane got took Jul 31, 2017

Beware of Cracker Barrel gift cards. My brother purchased us two $25 gift cards at a Kroger store in Dennison Texas. Months later when attempting to use them at a Cracker Barrel in Shawnee Oklahoma we found someone had gotten the numbers and depleted the balance to 0 three months earlier. Ho doubt the Kroger cashier got the card nos. I don't blame Cracker Barrel tor the theft, but never the less it is not safe to buy gift cards

Maddie98 Nov 06, 2017

My grandmother and I both work at the same Cracker Barrel (she helped me get a job in the store). Some of the employees ate in the 3rd dinning room so one day my grandmother ate in there and the GM is so mean to everyone there and she yelled at my grandmother in front of guest and other employees that she was not to to eat in there and my grandmother got so upset that she threw her food away without taking one bite out of it and walked away. They needed up having a yelling match in the office (I know my grandmother was wrong for yelling at a manager) but the manager wouldn't let my grandmother talk. Anyways my grandmother was told she might be fired or she might stay. They took 2 months to fire my grandmother. They drug it on and one day she came into work and the retail manager told her that she was fired.
    That's one story then after all that went on no one told me what happened so I went in there not knowing that. I was doing a return but I didn't know how so the GM came up there to help me and in front of guest she said very rudely you should know how to do this you're never going to go anyways if you don't know how to do a simple return. After she did that I went in the back and started to cry. The GM at my store is very rude and loud when she talks so everyone can hear what she's saying.
    Another time is when I was in retail and decided that I wanted to try hosting. So I asked all the managers and they said yes. I asked my retail manager and she was trying to discourage me. She kept saying that I won't like it and I don't know what I'm doing, but she let me go over there. Once I transferred over there everyone in retail was treating me differently no one would talk to me or look at me. It didn't bother me though. One of the other hostesses there has a car problem, she doesn't have a car and it's hard for her to get there and she has two small kids. She called and explained what was going on and what was happening and the GM didn't care. The GM said that it's not her problem if she doesn't have a car. So today she checked her schedule and she was completely taken off the schedule and she called and asked why and they fired her without telling her. It got me so mad because they know about her situation.
    And don't get me started on the to-go orders. They're horrible too. I use to love going to work there. I would be happy and excited and full of energy when I first started and now I can't stand it and I can't stand Cracker Barrel in general. I've on worked there since April of this year.

Richardo Morales

To All concerned, I am filing a formal complaint against Richardo Morales Gm of Cracker Barrel 535. I have...

terrible service

We have went to this restraunt 3 times. First time they had no biscuits and said it would be about 5 min never received any after other tables were given them, second time server never came back to our table after the first time of bringing our food and we had to ask another server to bring our ticket the 3rd and LAST time we got our drinks but never got our order. After 30 min we got up and left. Go to the next Cracker Barrel. I would not stop and waist your time here.

Abuse

Cracker Barrel is similar to ancient Rome. It will fall apart soon. Greed is rampant in this company. Dan...

Food/server

We were seated real fast.. And we had to wait on our server for over 10 minutes... Finally got some tea.. We...

bad food-got ill

To all that travel or just eat out,

I stopped at this location on September 9th, after many stops at their other locations. It was after the lunch rush and we thought we would get better service/food. Our server, Michelle, thought a good choice was the the turkey special of the day. We both ordered the "special", that was one of our mistakes, the first being we stopped to eat here.

The staff bought out our order and it was not our orders. I could figure this one out as there were 10 other parties in the whole place. When our orders did arrive they were very dry on the edges of the meat, and I asked if they mircowaved them, I was told no way. I should have sent the food back and gotten somethingelse, mistake two.

We ahd almost made it home when both of us started to get sick to our stomaches and other problems. I contacted the restaurant as soon as I could to ask if anyone else had trouble, they hung up on me. I went to the home office to let them know about the troubles and was told they would forward my problems to that location. That was three weeks ago.

I just want everyone to know what not to order for future reference, the"special of the day" was proably sitting under heat lamps after lunch rush did not consume all the prepared meals. I also beleive that the home office should have helped with my troubles.

As for now I will not be eating in any of their locations after this bad service after a bad meal.

MillerTymeLLC

Jendra Nov 21, 2010

The company has went down hill, way down from what it use to be, they are only out for dollar amounts and not for their guest and employees, the cheaper the better for them. But, they will tend to cover this up, Just beware of what you order and ask questions about the product or special, and whatever you do send the order back, they have to make it right.

• MillerTymeLLC Mar 23, 2011

I think that this place stinks the food is very bad and there are so many places to choose from. I think everyone should go to just about any other place to eat.

poor service

I took my wife for the first time to cracker barrel.she had never been.and her last.we went in and was seated.it took the girl about ten minutes to get drink order.and another ten to get to us.then after we order twenty minutes to.get food.while the other server on other side.helped and served.three other party's. Drinks and food.the time r server did ares. Then she said I she get another drink.which she never did.then vwe waited and.twenty more.for ticket when we left and I paid and signed receipt.cashier asked why I wasn't. I told her y.she called manager. And manager gave excuses.about being busy.the resturant wasn't even half full.she said they busy I could see they weren't. I emailed there home office they emailed back a change letter saying they appreciate. The email.it was a third party service answering there emails. So I won't ever be going back too cracker barrel.

JackDavis Apr 01, 2010

what's with the constant interuptions from the wait staff when you are halfway through your meal and absolutely cannot carry on a conversation because they are constantly trying to take your plates. they don't even ask, they just say "let me get that out of your way". do they think we are stupid and don't know that they are really trying to get us out of there? don't mind the occasional checking in thing but this is too obvious and it is rude. last time i was there, i literally had just placed my fork down, while in the middle of a table-wide conversation and the waitress said "let me get that plate" and grabbed it. i was getting ready to reach for a biscuit and had to lose my train of thought and ask her to either give me my plate back or bring me another smaller plate. i am sure the waitress wants to sit more customers but half the table wasn't halfway done yet. i will not be going back to cracker barrel anytime soon and probably never to this most recent one because i, the customer now feels like an ### for wanting to have a plate to eat my biscuit upon. cracker barrel takes it too far in the get you in - get you out routine, table manners 101 should be a required video for all the staff at cracker barrel.

cho choo Mar 04, 2011

Get a job at CB as a server and you will understand that we have no choice to bother you. As "the staff" we all argue with them about bothering you too much. Our managers don't believe that you, the customer, are bothered. If we don't bother you and nit pick and rush you out the door, we are told to stop and see if shoney's is hiring on the way home. For the record, we servers from CB agree with you. They just your money, we wanted to serve you, (thats why we are servers in profession) but our employers won't let us.

Cbslave11 Oct 16, 2011

First off, learn to spell & use proper grammar, second of all 99.7% of guests don't know how the whole cracker barrel works internally. Maybe your server was new, maybe the grill was backed up & had a problem catching up, maybe your server had other tables they needed to attend to. When you go out to eat your not the other person the server has to serve. If you don't like waiting then cook your own damn meal at home. Alot goes on at cracker barrel & believe it or not but they are one of the busiest restaurants I've worked there for 7 months & have seen it all already. You don't like it? Stay home.

Cbslave11 Oct 16, 2011

@Brenda- besides the extra symbols my phone made from the apostrophes what else is misspelled? Dont try to pick a fight with me over the internet over something like this. Thanks.

• Lo
    Lou'sliver Oct 16, 2011

Lol! really cbslave you came off as an ###. Don't compound it.

Cbslave11 Oct 16, 2011

In that case you shouldn't offer your services at all. You never did point out my mistakes though which I'm waiting for. You say to have someone with an education proofread my post? Are you that person? Be my guest please. Obviously you can understand what I'm trying to write on the other hand, the posting that is the main object right here doesn't make any sense so back off ms righteous.

• Lo
    Lou'sliver Oct 16, 2011

Don't forget cbslave's run-on sentence.

Cbslave11 Oct 16, 2011

I'm pretty sure I have punctuation marks after my sentences.

Cbslave11 Oct 17, 2011

I'm not trying to sound like an ###, I'm just saying there ARE reasons that his service was ###. That's all. Goddamn some of y'all are ridiculous. Where I work there are servers who shouldn't be servers because they just can't keep up and lose their heads when they have more than they handle. No that's not the guests fault and I'm sorry you were one of them who had that kind of service. Unfortunately, like I said before there's reasons why it was like that. I wasn't trying to come off as an ### so for everyone who's attacking me over my opinion lay off. But it's an explanation

marsharron Jan 08, 2012

I went to Cracker Barrel on January 6, 2012 for breakfast, which is my favorite meal. However, this was one time it wasn't enjoyable at all! Our service was the worst I've ever experience and my Bacon came out burnt, never got a refill on my coffee, took her forever to come back with anything that we request. But she wasted no time taking care of her other customers. when she did come back with a glass of water, it ended all over the table, on our clothes and some of our food. Sure, she gave a dry apology, and went to get napkins to clean up the mess, and that made more of a mess. She never had anyone to come get the water off the floor where we were setting. I looked around and there she was taking an order from another customer.

At this time, I was extremely upset! Ericka was her name, one I'll never forget... I got up went and request to speak to a manager and when he came to the table, I explain to him about the service that I had gotten and he apologized and stated that he would go talk to the General Manager, to see if she could accommodate us in anyway. I stated that it wasn't about that, but I wanted them to know about the poor service I had experienced. I waited another five minutes and she never came out and we waited by the hostess area. It was taking her so long, I went on to the ladies room, upon my return I requested to see the general Manger again to the hostess. At that point someone went to get her and she comes out stating that she had been looking for me and had thought that I had left. I told her it took her so long and that within the five minutes that I waited for her, that she must came after I went to the restroom. I went on the explain what had happen, and she stated to me that she was giving me this, and handle me a gold Crackle Barrel guest card. I took if from her and stated that she needed to talk to the young lady, and walked away.

However, I never looked at the guest card, until I got home. I noticed that the Guest name on the card was for (Hebert's Mom) written in black ink, and for the date that was written over in red ink (11/30/12), but you could see that the date that was originally written was 11/24/11 in black ink. So at this point I don't know if this will be accepted or not, I personally felt that they were only patronizing me ... If necessary, I can send you the gold guest card upon request, if needed.

Vickie Marsh

hours cut

I work for a well known restuarant chain going into 16 years, the last 3-4 years has been going down hill. We have changed management and the last two managers came into clean house. Always writting employees up for one thing or another, some of these write ups were truly uncontrolable, but still this went into our files so when we have a concern this is basically thrown in our face as punishment . So therefore nothing will be done to console the employees needs.

I have lost work hours and this causing my health benefits to disappear. I have contacted the corporate officem concerning my needs, I am my only support and now have been forced into unemployment and food stamps due to the cut hours, basically 32hrs to just maybe 11 hrs a week, so when I confort my manager for more hours, the write ups and other unfair discussion comes from his mouth, but he says I am an asset to the company for being with them so long, in the same breath he states I am not a team player and my productivity is poor, now since this has been mention, I will tell you my side. I go to work in proper uniform, never miss time, work my self to death trying to inprove what my employer has accused me of. I am given a poor serving station, mostly two table that are either filled with guest when I clock in. Others have 3-4 tables, so therefore I am running their food orders that they cannot seem to, because of the fact they have several guest.

Now comes the part of me not receiving work hours due the fact there isn't hours to give, but my store is continously hiring younger employees and they seem to receive the hours I used to have, and they do not preform to their full job criteria. We are told they do not have hours to give to us but the new employees seem to be able to have them.

Everytime I question this reasoning I do seem to feel retailiation.

What should I do?

SamD2007 May 15, 2012

you need to either file a complaint with the EEOC or the BBB. what they are doing to you is not fair and needs to be addressed asap before they find some poor excuse to fire you.

• Ok
    Oklahoma17 Jan 15, 2013

Don't Feel Bad. Your complaint is probably one of many. I am going through the same thing, only worse. When is there a stopping point to all the harassment, retaliation and black mail, (if you don't do what I say, you'll lose your job). Why can a person just enjoy a job anymore.

• Ra
    rainbowc. Mar 31, 2013

I too work for a very well known Cracker Barrell. We also have a new GM who hires her family and cuts the hours of people who have been there for years. These people have either quit or she has fired them and there are a few still left trying to hold onto their job. Corporate does not listen to our complaints either nor the guests and they don't return most of our phone calls either. We were also told we could remain anonymous but they don't act like they want to talk to us if we do. We are afraid of more retaliation. Our boss says she wants respect. How can we respect someone who verbally abuses us, acts like we're stupid, calls us names, cuts our hrs. so she can give them to her family members, doesn't want to talk to the guests when they complain..I could go on. We do not really like our job when shes around and now even some of the other mgrs. are treating us bad now, for the way she treats them too, constantly accuses us of lieing ect.

• Ki
    KimLPeach Oct 24, 2013

I've worked at Cracker Barrel for 2 years.They wrote up and said I wasn't good enough as a server and threw me into prep cook, working 6 hours a week.The new GM told me I wasn't good enough for that either and wanted me to wash dishes.I declined so I guess I'm fired.I wasn't on the schedule at all.From 25 hours a week to 6 and then 3?

Sexism, racism & favoritism

I have been working for Cracker Barrel Retail Store of Milford, CT for over 4 months or so by now. During my...

eat at your own risk

This Cracker Barrel unit has a lot of problems. First, it's extremely filthy. The cups are sitting in racks slightly above the tile floor which is constantly wet and covered in restaurant spillage. The spillage is then splashed onto the racks of cups anytime someone walks nearby. There is something wrong with their dish washing apparatus as well. It does not properly clean dishes and leaves dried eggs and gravy on 4 out of 5 dishes that are washed. There's other sanitation
issues regarding trash disposal policies. This Cracker Barrel keeps up to 25 full trash cans inside the building next to the dry storage area and break room where the employees
eat their meals. Only when there is enough time and too many full trash cans will the cooks take the garbage that's fermenting from inside the building to the dumpsters outside. There needs to be a thorough examination of the sanitation practices and a waste/sanitary guideline needs to be implemented immediately. In the meantime, eat at your own risk.

This Cracker Barrel has security issues that needs corrective action also. It is located in a high traffic crime area without the presence of security guards or outside surveillance cameras. There are only two signs located in the parking areas reminding customers to lock their doors. Take extra caution when entering or leaving the unit.

More notes. This Cracker Barrel clearly discriminates. It is located in a predominately black area, staffed with 134 employees, and only 4 or 5 of them are black to which none are part of the managerial team. The rest of the staff is Hispanic or White. This should be investigated immediately and resolved with any disciplinary action necessary.

In 17 years of working in hospitality/restaurant industries, I have never experienced such filth and lack of sanitary protocol as I do at the Cracker Barrel in Florida City. As an employee, I cannot drink from their cups without lining it with a plastic baggy. All the staffers implemented this practice once they witnessed myself doing this. The cups sit in racks slightly above the tile floors that are constantly wet with spillage. All the spillage from the floors are then splashed back onto the cups whenever anyone passes by. There is also something wrong with their dish washing apparatus. Four out of five dishes/cups are covered in dried eggs and gravy because the apparatus isn't being maintained and can't clean properly. Some servers don't have time and have to use the dirty dishes, others just don't care that the dishes are dirty. Also, I have witnessed the Florida City Cracker Barrel keep up to 20 full trash cans inside the building next to the dry storage area and break room where the employees eat their meals. Only when there is enough time and too many full trash cans will the cooks take the garbage that's fermenting from inside the building to the dumpsters outside.

• Dw
    Dwdean Apr 19, 2011

Went for dinner to Cracker Barrell on April 16th for dinner...meanwhile 6 cars icluding mine vandalized in parking lot. Employees said it has happened many times at the Rome Hilliard Columus Ohio location. Cracker Barrell Did not have security protecting the customers that patronize their business. 12 years of spending slot of money. My money will no be spent their.

Brandon M Shepherd Jul 22, 2013

Price not worth the amount of food you get!!

unsanitary

Getting fired

I got fired for eating a bowel of ice cream. Plus I was robbed of $35. Oo aweek for insurence I did not...

scam charges

On May 8, 2009, I went on Priceline to bid on airplane tickets from Corpus Christi, Texas to Ft Myers, Florida. When Priceline asked me if I would agree to switch cities, I refused. After 15 failed bids, I bought my tickets directly from American Airlines. After purchasing my tickets directly from American Airlines, I received an email from Priceline congratulating me for my "winning bid." Priceline claimed that I had made an astronomical bid for tickets departing from a completely different airport over 2 1/2 hours away. When I tried to email and call Priceline to inform them that I had NEVER made such a bid, Priceline (in a scripted answer) refused to refund my money. I am going through my credit card company fraud division hoping to get reimbursed. I have learned to NEVER give credit card information before receiving the actual product. Priceline was so desperate to get my money, that they fraudulently claimed that I had made an astronomical bid (I am very methodical and did not "accidentally" put in a wrong city or bid amount) and immediately charged my credit card. This, in my opinion, is a criminal act.

• Mb
    Mbruer Apr 24, 2016

My son was required to clock in as a computer training day even though he was working as a host so that he would get minimum wage instead of his regular pay.

slow, bad food, poor staff

As a child, I used to love this restaurant. It had goofy pictures on the wall, a toy section. And damned good orange soda. But the past few times i've been forced to return, have all been one giant ball of pain and suffering. These events have been the same in different states of which i've eaten at the cracker barrel.

In the time it takes to get your food, you could have just made the same damn thing at home, and saved yourself the 20$. Anywhere between 30-40minutes is the average wait time i've experienced. I am not going here in a huge group of people, demanding all 20 of us has our food out instantly. Oh no, it's just me, and my mother. Having a nice little lunch. But still, it's taken up to 40 minutes for two plates. We do not order anything special with our food. Just the run of the mill menu items.

For example: a chicken salad, ranch dressing. How long can that take? My mother even ordered the exact same thing. But we sat around for 30 minutes while we got absolutely no recognition. Remember, this has happened at more then one restaurant, in different states.

So after 30 minutes of sitting around being ignored, we finally get our food. The first thing my mother says is 'where's chicken?", buried under the lettuce where a few pieces of chicken. As if it was an after thought.

It was painfully obvious the salads had been sitting around for a while, some of the croutons had turned squishy from sitting on top of a tomato for to long. I was scared to even try the hard boiled egg, which was ice cold by this point. The chicken was luke warm, whatever little bit we received, one could tell considering the cheese beneath it was barely melted. And one can deduce that hot chicken would melt the cheese, and cold # chicken sitting around for 20 minutes, would not.

Every time I order a simple coke, it tastes like dish water.
Yes, fountain drinks will vary in taste depending on the restaurants syrup to water ratio, but this was not cols syrup, it was dish water.

On one occasion the creamer for my mothers coffee had curdled.

Honestly, I cannot stand to return to this place. As a child it was a place of wonderment and delicious orange cola, now it's a waste land of cold food and rancid milk products.

At one time, a table of 20 was served, and out the door before my mother and I even got our food. And yes, we where there before the larger party arrived, and had ordered at least 10 minutes before hand.

These events are taken from various locations including: michigan, louisiana, and texas. I travel a lot -_-

• Updated by XX3 · Oct 09, 2019

Am going to call store manager

• Tr
    Trevor is now a proud father a baby boy Feb 22, 2009

"Every time I order a simple Coke, it tastes like dish water. "
    That is funny because their dish water taste like coke. I wonder if they are getting the two mixed up. :D

• Bi
    big mike Mar 20, 2009

NOT SO FAST TO JUDGE, CRACKER MEANS " SODA CRACKER " SALTINES WHERE DELIVERED IN 45 GAL BARRELS IN THE 1920s AND 1930s. FURTHER, CRACKERS IS A VERY OLD TERM USED DURING LATE 18th CENTURY DESCRIBING CATTLE RANGLERS ( COW BOYS ) OF THE SOUTHERN STATES, THE WORD MEANT THE SOUND THAT THE SHORT WHIPS, THEY USED MADE, WHEN SNAPED ABOVE THE HEADS OF THE CATTLE, THEY WHERE CALLED CRACKERS, THE WHIPS WHERE ALSO USED FOR A SAFE WEAPON TO KILL SNAKES, SOUTHERN RATTLERS THAT WOULD BITE ANIMALS AND COWBOYS. MANY PEOPLE SAT AROUND THE GENERAL STORE AND DRANK SODA AND ATE SODA " CRACKERS " REFERED TO IN MANY BOOKS OF THE OLD SOUTH, NOTHING TO DO WITH RACEISIM. BIG MIKE

• So
    Southern Sweetness Mar 27, 2009

I believe that it is possible for one store to be bad, but I mean come on now, not all are the same. The Cracker barrel in my home town is awsome, with the exception of some recial issues, but being a witress while in college I can tell you why they do not want to wait on black people, it is because they don't tip.

• Pa
    paula Apr 16, 2009

not all the cracker barrels are the same i have worked for 2 of them and i am still with them i have never not waited on anyone except one person and that is because he is very mean to his wife who has had a stroke we have something in place now called absolutes and it does work it is order on the greet if u are ready and check back check down and prebus to glasses but it seems some people come in and want to sit for hours our shifts are not long normally so we want to have as many tables as possible so keep that in mind that we only make 2.38 a hour in indiana and we count on those tips if u only have 2 or 3 tables and one of them sit for hours u have lost out on a few tips at least compensate us for using it for that or go to the porch and sit in the rockers that is why they are there i have had some very rude people at this store i work at now but i have never been rude back i like to kill them with kindness and usually can get there mind set different by the time they leave i think some people look down on servers well this server has a degree in computer programming and i make more money there then i ever did anywhere eles it is hard work but can be very rewarding but also a pain sometimes lol if u ever have a problem let your server know they can and know how to correct the problem dont wait till u get mad or get to the register and want ur meal for free we can do what ever makes u happy its called people pleasing and it is a required program before u are allowed on the floor to serve our guests ps i am a server trainer so i do know this to be true

• Mo
    moosiejac Jun 03, 2009

Tips are based on Service it is not an automatic entitlement. I recently went to Craker Barrel in Roseville MI. It was the pits the waitress did everything she could the obvious racist floor manager was rude to the hostess as well as the customers. The economy is very bad and if people can afford to still go out to eat Craker Barrel should treat everyone like royalty. Because without people coming to your establishment, you will close down. How long should it take to cook bacon, eggs, and pancakes.

• Mr
    mrsquigles Jun 03, 2009

"The first thing my mother says is 'where's chicken?", buried under the lettuce where a few pieces of chicken.As if it was an after thought. "

If it were an afterthought it wouldn't have been under the lettuce. It would've been on top of it.

• Cl
    cloey Jun 08, 2009

the hard boiled eggs are delivered refridgerated in 2.5 gallon buckets and are kept cold.

Mad Dad Jun 17, 2009

My spouse was fired from the Cracker Barrel in Joplin Missouri this past Saturday, because she poured a cup of coffee for a guest! That's right! The general manager called her into the office and verbally harrassed her. After taking a customer's order, another of her customer's jestured for a refill of coffee. She poured the coffee, and then put the order into the computer. Well, it seems Cracker Barrel has a new way of treating the guests. They call these new standards, "Absolutes". In no uncertain terms, the management has made it clear that the servers are to use variouis tactics to rush the guests, and therefore increase guest counts. The servers are now required to attempt to extract the guests order at the same time they take the drink order. They even are required to leave the check one minute after the customer receives the food! This leads many to feel rushed from the outset. Once the order is on the servers pad, they are not allowed to pour a cup of coffee, refill an ice tea, drop off some additional requested condiments...Nothing. They must go imediately to the computer to put in the order. When you are waiting on multiple tables, this "Absolute" standard is not feasible, but it does cut down on the number of refills the guests receive, and increases the time it takes to receive anything extra for your meal. Like extra biscuits, jelly, etc. You see where this is going! Several months ago the GM brought my wife and another server into the office and in a very hostile and threatening tone, told them if they could'nt get on board with the new, "Absolutes", he would fire them, and that they would never work in Joplin, as a server again. The next day, Mr. Munson the GM, pulled both servers seperately back to the office, and stated that he didn't mean what he had said. Well, this Saturday it happened again! Feeling the stress of sagging sales, my wife again fell victim to Munson's wrath. After loudly and angrily berating her, he wouldn't even let her finish a staement, before demanding, "Do you want to give your two weeks, or just leave now?". Well she left alright, and I went down and publicly accused Munson of harrassment in front of a full dining room. He is currently denying that he counseled both employees jointly on the previous occasion. The fact is that the guest does not come first at Cracker Barrel. The cheapskates even removed the hand sanitizer from the server line, to cut costs! I have personally wittnessed unsafe food handling on many occasions. (I have been a GM of a restaurant previously). Even my wife pleas to the personnel department were met with uncaring comments. My wife asked, "Is our first priority to please the customer?". She was absolutely told that the first priority was to please her manager! I was listening on the other line! I couldn't believe it! Cracker Barrel is not the restaurant of yesteryear. When you look beneath the surface, there are lots of serious issues with the direction the company is taking. My wife had worked for the company for over six years, and was one of the most requested servers in the store, receiveing numerous accomadations for her outstanding service. What has changed? Not Tracy! She would got out of her way to please each and every guest! It is Cracker that has changed, and definitely for the worse.

Mad Dad Jun 20, 2009

Dear Jason Tillo, My wife certainly doesn't need me to fight her battles. As for policy, people are sick of handing over their hard earned money, and receiving less, and less! Additionally, employees are not servants! They deserve to be treated with respect and dignity, not harrased and abused. You sound like you work for Cracker Barrel? What's your beef? I'm just letting people know what the company is really like! The truth will set you free! Or, perhaps in your case, make you run and hide!

• Th
    The Cracker Terrible Dec 14, 2009

Alpharetta Ga (Winward)... Got seated. Waited 13 mins with no acknowledgement. 2 servers looked right at us and walked by. One of them started counting sugar packets at an empty table. The other took an order from 2 people that just sat down... Waited 4 more minutes...no service in sight... Got up and left. Stopped at retail counter and asked for a manager. The poor guy paged the floor manager 6 times. Waited 7 minutes for the manager...never came. Poor guy behind the counter asked the retail manager to help me. I told her what had happened and that we were leaving, and i just wanted to inform them what happened and what section we were seated in. Her words verbatim " Hmmm, i apologize. Please come back and see us." I was a regular customer 3-5 times a week. I'LL NEVER EAT AT A CRACKER BARREL AGAIN.

• Ti
    tiredandfedup Dec 30, 2009

I am so sick of our absolutes - RE: ONE STOP SHOPS!!! YOU CANNOT SEEM TO GET IT THROUGH TO THE MANAGEMENT THAT WHEN PEOPLE DINE OUT THEY WANT TO RELAX AND NOT FEEL RUSHED!! WHAT IS NEXT FOR CB?? A DRIVE THRU?? Many guests have complained about feeling rushed since these absolutes started!! One of the main reasons people dine out (especially travelers and that is what CB business is based on) is to relax and enjoy - NOT FEEL LIKE YOU HAVE TO INHALE YOUR FOOD!! When i first sit down in a restaurant I am never ready to order - I just get a drink - especially if it a place where I have never dined before!! Can't someone start a group lawsuit for mental anquish on the job - a lawyer can make a killing with this one!!!

• Jf
    J from the 80's Mar 07, 2010

I've worked as a server at Cracker Barrel in North Carolina for about 5 months, and this has to be the most back-asswards restaurant I've ever worked in my life. Our store is the most watched by the bigwigs in corporate because our business is so poor and we have so many complaints. I am led to believe that its simply because our managers have no idea what they're doing. And the absolutes? Look at it like communism; it works well in theory but when applied to the real world it turns the whole operation into a cluster###. Cracker Barrel organized their own funeral with their poor business practices. "Pleasing People" is their motto, and from a corporate business aspect its not working.

On the other hand however, don't put this all off on your servers. If the general service was not to your liking, we always catch the brunt of you displeasure in any circumstance. The best way to maximize your dining experience in future occasions is to help your servers out and refrain from being a cheap ###. By this I mean, don't get a damn glass of water because you can't bear to spend the extra buck on a fountain drink. Or ordering off the kids menu if you're a fully fledged adult. It kills me because most people will look at that $6.00 tab with the kids grilled cheese and water, and tip accordingly. When I go out even if I'm just getting a cup of coffee, I might leave 2 or 3 bucks on a $1.50 tab because its not the total of the bill that matters, its the quality of service. Ease up on your ideals about that quality of service as well. Customers look to their servers for absolute perfection, which is not only impossible, but unnecessary. If you don't have a refill on your coffee right when you slam it down, there's no need to be in angst. We'll be back around in just a few minutes often with a good apology, or even a fresh pot because we realized you have been waiting. We're humans just like you, we aren't supernatural beings who can put in your order while refilling your soda and wiping your ### simultaneously. Put yourself in our position and ask yourself if you can really do what we do. As you ponder that, leave a decent tip and not whatever you can scrounge out of your pocket. We don't make enough even with the 2 some-odd per hour to be running back and forth constantly getting you jelly or creamers or ketchup and calling you sir and ma'am. We may be in a recession, but dining is still a luxury. If you're not prepared to spend some money then please don't go at all.

• Ve
    venessa philli[s Mar 27, 2011

i work for carcker barrel for al most seven months i didnt likeit cause the gm was nasty n mean an disrespectful she cuses an yell at u in front of the guess today i got fired cause a employee ran my food an came backn ask me did i have a hbr on my ticket i told him no i was bout to put in a order for it then he ran in told the gm an she said she was sick n tired of me lying so she told me to get out now when did i ever tell i did put a hbr on my ticket i was tryin to tell her n she just went off den she was mad cause i put my two weeks in so i figure she was goin to try to fired me any away but still she was very unprofossical in very rude all the guest fely she was doin it under professial same as the employee

• Wd
    W.D.W.C. Apr 24, 2011

I used to eat at Cracker Barrel at least two the three times a year and their foods was good and I have tried them in different states. But for about the last three or four years the food taste like something that I could make and I can't even cook. Cracker Barrel used to have hot fresh cook meals that were worth the money but now they have like leftover cold food. All I can say is ...Cracker Barrel What happened? After giving them many tries time after time I have made the decision that my shadow will never darken there doorway again!
    I'm done with Cracker Barrel!

Jay from KY Jul 07, 2011

It really as simple as this: Stop going. You people crack me up, you go to these restaurants with the mindset that they will close without your money. The fact is, for every whiner, there are ten people that like the place.

Cracker Barrel implemented their "Seat to Eat" concept as a way for traveller's (in case you haven't noticed, they tend to be by the interstates) to get in, have a meal and continue on with their travels in around 30 minutes. The "one stop shop" is designed to speed this up. the majority of guests at CB are regulars to the brand and already know what they want. The "immediate entry of the order into the pre-check" is designed to prevent servers from collecting 4 tables' orders and ringing them in at once. This insures two things...1. YOUR table is not waiting on their food as long . Imagine you order, then your server goes to three other tables and collects their orders as well. Then the fourth table ordered something that doesn't take as long as your's does and they get their food before you get your's. Guess what comes next...a complaint from you that you were here first and they got their food before you did. 2. It also prevents the servers from overwhelming the kitchen with four orders at once. In case you haven't noticed, you are not the only table in the store. There are probably 80 other tables that might be ordering at the same time. Can you handle making that much food at once? And I seriously doubt that you got how the food was intended to be served, no way, you had to have your steak well done or your salad a certain way.

The "check back, check down" is designed to give travellers the choice of paying as quickly as they need to. I doubt anyone of you upstanding, model guests have ever complained about not getting your check fast enough. No way, no one in the history of dining has ever complained about that. The server, if they were doing their job the way they were trained to, would inform you when they drop the check, that they are placing this on your table for YOUR convenience and they will continue to take care of you. So before you complain about CB's policies, make sure the employees are doing what their jobs entail first.

The pre-bus to glasses is designed to help the server when the guests leave. It is far easier to bus glasses than plates, silverware, trash and glasses. It helps them turn tables, increasing their tip potential.

The bottom line is, no employee has ever been let go from their job for failure to follow guidelines and taken responsibility. It is always the companies fault, never their own.

As for all the racism, sexism and what not, now that these words have been said next to the name Cracker Barrel, everyone is on the lookout for it, analyzing every small detail to see if it applies to these words. If a CB once refused to wait on a guest because he was wearing a purple shirt, I have to go buy one to see if it happens to me, I can get paid!!

Grow up, take responsibility for your actions. If you got fired, I am quite sure you deserved to be. If you can't count money and have constant errors, you need to find a job that doesn't require math. CB is a good company, they make made from scratch food to order, and they treat their employees who follow their " Pleasing people" mission statement well.

• Ts
    TskTskTsk Jul 08, 2011

This place is so backwards. I work for CB for almost 1 year and 98% of the experience has been ridiculous. Here is an example: I live 15-20 minutes away depending on traffic. I also have small children. We usually get our schedule on Thursday but I was off. So today, Friday I thought since I'm not working for a couple of days and I dont have to go anywhere today, (plus the weather is terrible) I would call and just get my schedule if they werent busy. I called and was told that another employee could not acquiesce my simple request and was told that I could only get my schedule form the manager. So I'm transferred to the manager and he is annoyed that I called to get my schedule and said that he has over 100 employees and if every employee he had would call and ask for their schedule that would take forever!" He also said it would be easier if I stopped by the store like the others do and get my own schedule. This now would entail getting the kids ready, putting them in a car, driving 30-40 minutes depending on the traffic (both ways) in the pouring rain with lightening just because he couldnt look down at his desk and just tell me my schedule? I was shocked that I was rebuffed and with annoyance, I was told to call back later.

Jerry NateX Nov 01, 2011

I have worked at a Colorado Cracker Barrel store for only X months. I'm sick of the place. I had to take the damn job, but thankfully I'll be leaving there soon. The company is complete ###. They expect you to run on their schedule only, and to be complete robots when there. They always hire more dish washers than what there needs to be, and only give each one 10-16 hours a week and except them to live off it and be happy. When one washer leaves, they quickly hire a new one instead of giving the others more hours. Then, when you have to get a second job, they have the damn nerve to berate you when you tell them three weeks later that you can't work those days, because you had to get a second job. I listened over the phone as one managers told the other the situation, and they both acted like I couldn't hear them as they talked out a battle plan to make me choose one job over the other, even though I filled out a new avalibility sheet and had it placed in the system OVER THREE WEEKS AGO.

The management is always up the ### of everyone as well. God forbid you sit down for 5 minutes when working another one of their classic 10 hour morning shifts. Heaven help us because it takes more than one minute to sort a whole tray of silverware that can take up to seven minutes to sort, then have to sit there as the GM comes over, yells at you, then takes 12 minutes to sort the damn tray because he thinks he's better than you. Seriously, he got all huffy and tried telling me how to do my damn job then started doing it worse, then he acted like he was King ### when it took him even longer, and he was going all Hulk at super speed which only made him winded and ###ed looking.

All the managers make bonuses, we know this, and they will go to extreme, nasty lengths to get them. The whole training program Cracker Barrel has set up is to get you to only care about the stockholders, because they invested in our company, and we need to feel sorry for them 24/7 for even having enough money to invest in our company to begin with. Honestly, the damn 40 minutes video you had to watch when in training was about this old white couple, who had more money than Jesus H. Christ, sit around and say they'll know we'll protect them and make sure they see a great return on their investment. I, like most Cracker Barrel employees, had to take the damn job because we needed the money. We don't care about some investor, or manager, who has more money than us screaming their heads off because we can't get a damn tray of biscuits out in a heart beat.

And a few other things:

Our store has had the health department visit over ten times in the last month, and they keep finding new things to write us up about. Management makes it very clear to us every day that we need to work harder, take less breaks and work on skeleton crews to make up for the thousands in damages that could of been help with only hundreds at most, and proper maintenance.

Dishwashers are ### to the higher ups, and are treated as such.

Servers are made to cry daily because Management has to be all nasty for no reason just to get a simple point across that could of been talked out in private.

Our dish machine is over 6 years old, and busted. Honestly, I've brought the issue up, but got a thinly veiled speech about the bottom line.

The only thing freshly made is the corn bread and biscuits, everything else sits in a pan inside a large pool of hot water, and all day if it doesn't sell. The meat loaf is cooked in the morning, and everything else is pretty much just chilled until we mix it all together or boil it in the back.

And yes, this is a rant, and before one of Cracker Barrel's spy agents gets on here (I mean honestly, who comes to a site like this and doesn't ###? You can't tell me under half of the people here who write good reviews aren't hired by the companies they write about.), let it be known that your corporation has had lawsuits filled against it for multiple reasons, and most of my rant covers that area. A simple google search can tell anyone here that what I'm saying is fact. Instead of looking for me and threatening me, like you are known to do, spend the little amount of time it takes and FIX THE DAMN PROBLEMS FOR GOOD, INSTEAD OF GOING THE NAZI ROUTE AND SCREAMING YOUR HEADS OFF WITH THREATS AND BEING A BUNCH OF CHEAP ###! People are people, not numbers, not those piles of meat you have to staff your "restraunts" with and pay to be there for reasons you just can't seem to grasp, we're people GOD DAMNIT! And we will be treated as such. I will continue to report these problems to the health officials, I will continue to leave your corporate office voice mails cause you never seem to pick up, I will not be detoured by thinly veiled threats, or law suits. I am an American worker, and if you can't treat me like such, then forget you. Your turn over rate is terrible, and you don't know why? It's because you expect people to act like dogs. You have no place in this timeline. It's not the 1930's anymore, you can't give us scraps and kick us and expect a thank you. FIX IT!

-Jerry Nate.

• Wa
    Wasted Nov 09, 2011

The Cracker Barrel is pathetic. Guests find roaches in their meals on a daily basis. The roaches come out when the company does their once a year spray/ pest control. "Gold Cards" come through the door on a regular because the guests here know not to complain or make a fuss at the tables. They wait to get to the cashier and call for a manager who belly ups to them and offers free meals to "apologize" for the bad service. Truthfully, they just don't want Home Office coming down on them. Meanwhile, servers get left ### for tips if anything at all.

I split a table of 12 with a second server and we both made sure we took good care of the guests, ( 2 parents and 10 kids, mostly under the age of ten ). Absolutes! Seat to Eat! Check back and Check down! Party of 8, bring a date! All this work and we both got stiffed. Not a dime! Yet they had the money to pay their nearly $120 check AND have money to shop the crappy cheap MADE IN CHINA stocked "gift shop" afterwards.

Oh yeah, and to make things worse, you have to claim a certian amount of tips per shift or you get a tiny " love letter " after you clock out saying you didn't make store average for tips claimed. You have to sign it, a manager signs it too. Enough of these letters and you get told you're not doing your job right.

The Cracker Barrel is the worst place I have ever worked. It's more concerned about lawsuits and racial descrimination more than their employees. The managers get bonuses for Goal Hours yet the employees ( cooks, servers, hostesses, cashiers, and retail ) are told that they "...get to keep their jobs" Believe me, these managers push Goal Hours like drug dealers push product.

Employee Appreciation is a joke. Hot dogs and pizza are how you "thank" the people who make running this restaruant even possible?? When the weather is inclimate, do you think Cracker Barrel Home Office contacts any of their employees and tells them not to come in because they are closing? NO, YOU GET TO WAIT UNTIL LATE AFTERNOON when Home Office decides they aren't making any money before you show up anyway and get told to go home.

The health care insurance plan is a joke. You are told even part timers get a chance to enroll. Only if you make a average of 28 hours a week and keep this average per month for several months. So, this only includes cooks and managers since I can't think of any servers, retail, hostesses or cashiers that average even 20 hours on average per week per month. Oh yeah, once you are enrolled, you have to keep the hour averages up or they cut you from the program.

The economy is rough, I'm looking for a new job and I won't be giving my two weeks notice of leave either. With the way Cracker Barrel hires new people each week, I am positive they will just split my 15 to 20 hours a week between the 8 people who share my position.

Even with 50% off employee meal, I don't eat here. I don't drink or eat of the silverware or dishes because they are nasty. No one scrubs anything here it just gets over loaded into racks and pushed through a hot water rinse. Servers have to roll silverware by the pound. So when you have had a ### shift, no real reason to make sure your 14lbs tray of silverware is clean because you just want to leave!

Store meetings are gossip fests. I've stopped going because I don't want to sit in a hotel confrence room and hear about server X spitting in garbage cans in the kitchen, Server L picking his butt when working as an expiditer or how Server G is totally sleeping with Manager T. I work with a lot of two faced ghetto self proclaimed "divas" who think they are management when in reality, they are just pathetic losers who have stayed with the company for so long they are entitled whores.

JEL1 Jan 12, 2012

I was a manager for Cracker Barrel. I worked for them going on seven years. I have never called out and did what was asked of my to the best of my ability. Yesterday, I was fired on my birthday.

• Ramelle Jan 12, 2012

Aww... :( Happy Birthday JEL 1. *Hugs*

• Ca
    Cafegirl Jan 16, 2012

I worked for Cracker Barrel for approximately four years, as a retail employee in their country store. Everything said here by otheir former employees is 100% correct. As a member of their staff you are treated like an inferior, unimportant, piece of S*** that isn't worth even the smallest amount of respect. I was one of the most responsible employees in their store during the time I worked there, and never called out, was never late, and the guests loved me. I knew all of the staff. all of the guests, (and am not bragging here-just telling the truth) an attribute to the company. I was told this repeatedly by one of my GM's, who unfortunately was fired 2 years into my working there (THAT'S a story for anotheir time-it was purely political in nature) and replaced by just anotheir arrogant, conceited, higher than thou GM who treated us all like dirt the way all of the other managers did. "Guests" do not come first, either. The idea is to make as much money as possible every minute of your shift. Employees are forced to keep a very close eye on sales percentages throughout the day, and if you fail to know the current percent for that hour (god forbid!) you are berated and put down. What an awful place!! Have a much better job now with bosses that actually respect their employees.

• Al
    AlleyKat21312 Jan 31, 2012

I, honestly, have only eaten at Cracker Barrel twice, maybe three times. I just started working for them last month on the 27th, and I have to say that I've been behind thee lines of how they cook that food. Yes, sometimes it does get cold but, that's because we're either waiting for bread or one of thee servers have forgotten about thee order (which is usually what happens if that certain server gets sat again.) A GM will scream out 'We need a runner here' and they'll try to get thee food out BEFORE thee food turns cold. The GM is nice, thee managers are nice... I'm sorry.. I just figured I'd get on here and tell you what happens behind thee scenes... Also, for those previous employees: They now have their schedules online... So, please, don't knock Cracker Barrel... At thee one in Pearl, MS we don't have that much service, no, but, we do have thee best hospitable team possible... The servers go around and help each other, thee trainers try to make you understand what it takes to make it in thee restaurant, and I feel they really care about thee customers...

• Pl
    platose Mar 30, 2012

black people are usually some of my best tippers. are you sure your perception is not getting you no tip or low tips. these types of guest can pick up on your vibes you know. a lot of black people are difficult to wait on (even all the black waitresses at my cracker barrel know this) because they try and change the menu around, substitute just about everything on the menu that most of the time can't be substituted. They just want to eat like everyone else and always want extra napkins lol. just go with the flow and be nice even though it is frustrating you will get a tip. don't act annoyed, i wouldn't give you a tip either if you acted like you couldn't stand waiting on me.

• Mo
    mom of worker Jun 06, 2012

Cracker Barrel cheats it's employees out of pay. They also don't give you the hours that you have been hired for. Stay away from Cracker Barrel. 6 weeks later still waiting for missing pay, every week they say it will be in next weeks check.
    DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!

• Th
    TheGruesomes Jun 08, 2012

I have been working for Cracker Barrel in Lexington, NC for a little over a year and a half now as a Backup cook and as of just recently a server. I can say that this is the best paying job that I have had so far, granted the tips could be a bit better, but it's not horrible. Our managers can have their days just like anyone else, you all have to remember "### rolls downhill". I know that some of the servers could step up their game and offer better service to our customers, but some just don't give a ### they are just there to make their money and leave. As for the "Server Absolutes" are concerned, I do feel that the customers feel rushed, I have had some of them ask why I am rushing them to order and I apologize to them, I think this needs to change not only for the customers but for the CBOCS employees as well.

• Se
    server girl Jul 17, 2013

I'm just glad no black people tried to dispute the tip thing! As a black server, I know it's true and very annoying!

• Be
    Betty Pringle Aug 20, 2018

We both ordered the campfire roasted beef. The carrots & potatoes in my order were not cooked and sent it back. Didn't get the lemon for water nor the biscuits until later when they brought my order the second time. They brought separate carrots & a bake potato. Not the same as camp-fire roasted vegetables.

Mary james12 Sep 01, 2018

We have been going to crackerbarrel for 36 years they still cant get our eggs cooked right. We order them xtra well fried. Tell them to burn the eggs. Theyare undercooked everytime. You send them back then the food is cold. Won't be going back.

• Sh
    Sharleen Dotson Sep 01, 2018

I bought a Christmas tree from Cracker Barrel on line the top did not work I have called been promised calls back left messages emailed and left fb messages and no response I have been trying to reach them for two weeks still no response they are not very customer friendly I would not recommend buying online

Antonio1974 Sep 10, 2018

I was eating tonight at cracker barrel and i had the wrost inspenrence i eat my shrimps with ranch there was something round in the ranch i don't appreciate this i want to sue because of this even the manger said he never seen that before i have 4 witnesses that will tell the truth about it and a recetelli dont deserve this no one dose

• Ro
    Roger Dale 43 Oct 15, 2018

Visited League City, TX store today Tues. Oct 8, 2018 at 4:30 PM. Nearly empty store. Service extremely slow, inattentive, and disorganized. Complained at checkout and was ignored. They did NOT offer to call a manager. Also Men's Restroom was very dirty. Disappointing all around.

• Di
    Disgusted customer43 Oct 22, 2018

They got my order wrong and there was hair in my food.Poor customer service. Will not return ever again!!! This restaurant is located on
    3701 Elmsley Ct, Greensboro, NC 27406

• To
    Toby DeGroft Jun 08, 2019

Took 10 mins to get acknowledged then another 10 till we were able to order a drink everything we asked for the waitress was very rude and disrespectful shaking her head and huffing like a child. Then says in a loud tone I'm running. Didn't check back on us we had to keep saying excuse me excuse me to get her attention for what we needed.

• Xx
    XX3 Oct 15, 2019

I have ordered carry out several times from cracker barrel. The last two times they forgot the biscuits and corn bread to go with the order. In addition to that they forgot the gravy for the mashed potatoes. They were thick and hard. Not happy at all with the take out.

• Ga
    Gator Andy Jan 04, 2020

Bring back the chicken fried chicken! The tenderloin option is awful!