Whirlpool Gold Series Refrigerators - Model Gs6shexnl00

Posted:

electronic control pcb know defective by whirlpool - will not recall

4.95
Whirlpool
Sugar Hill, Georgia
whirlpool.com
Whirlpools Gold series refrigerators have a known problem with their Electronic Control Printed Circuit board.

The Original Part Number is: 2304056

The replacement Part Numbers are: 2304095, W10135090, or AP4334000.

By searching the internet you can see that there are numerous posts about this part becoming defective. Numerous people that bought the Gold series Model number GS*SHEX**** are experiencing the same problem with their refrigerator side light and LED temperature control module not performing correctly. Yet whirlpool has avoided sending out a recall on the part or offered to field replace the part for free. Instead, Whirlpool has modified the printed circuit board and has passed both the hassle and repair costs on to the customer.

Nice Going Whirlpool... see if you ever get my business again. Personally, I think a class action lawsuit is needed.
Complaint comments Comments (30)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Appliances

Comments

N  27th of Mar, 2008 by    0 Votes
fridge servce.
A  7th of Aug, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I totally agree. This is the SECOND time in 3 years that mine has went out. Now, HH Gregg is giving me the run around, regarding the food loss. I will never buy another Whirlpool/Maytag anything, nor will I ever purchase it from HH Gregg!!!
A  14th of Nov, 2009 by    +2 Votes
I just went through the same thing with my 4 year old Whirlpool refrigerator model GS5SHAXNL00.. I had to replace the control board with the model w10135090. When I pulled the old board out, I found a short on the backside of the new board, also evindenced by a small burn on the inside of the white box which holds the board. What make me upset is when I call Whirlpool the obviously won't provide any technical assistance, and require a tech to come take a look at it. The tech came out and told me it was the control board and gave me an estimate of $300 plus dollars to replace it (108.37 +tax for the board and 200 for the return trip). He was honost with me and told me I could easily replace it my self, which I did (very simple, saved $200, but still out the $100+ for the board and the 70 for the tech visit). When I bought the board, I paid an additional$16 for a lifetime warranty after reading the earlier post of someone having had this happen more than once. If any one want a class action lawsuit against whirlpool, count me in.
N  11th of Jan, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Same deal as everyone...Hundreds of post for the same issue. Talked with Whirlpool today and still no recall. Guess we'll all have to wait until one starts on fire and deaths occurs. Lawsuits, deaths. injuries are about the only way any recalls seem to happen anymore. Damm shame too...Clearly the early control boards were junk. That's another $100-300 taken away from the american consumer that should go towards filling it up with chow. Seems to me that our Government has to start to look out for the consumer and not the corperate giants. Bail out all the credit car companies, costing us trillions, then those clowns jack our interest rates to the sky and reward themselves with million dollar bonouses. Ya, this is american...The land of being screwed again and again.
A  13th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
I have a 3 yeard old top of the range Whirlpool oven died.
I now find I have to pay about half the cost of a new one to get it repaired.
Thats it for Whirlpool for me.

Ray.
N  30th of Jan, 2010 by    +2 Votes
Whirlpool side-by-side fridge controls & light failure:

Check out this website - http://www.fixya.com/support/t398069-whirlpool_gold_refridgerator_light_not
I just made the repair shown with a wire jumping the burned track on the backside of the circuit board - total cost = $ZERO (plus about 4 hours of my Saturday including research time). Mine failed on a Friday and when I started looking for answers & parts nobody was open for the weekend. Looks like my circuit board failed when the 40-watt frig-bulb blew out - a common issue according to the internet. Replaced the bulb, put a small wire on the board and everything seems to be working again. I will probably by a new board from the internet (~$75) and keep it as a backup in case something happens again. If I don't use it I can sell it on e-bay whenever I change out the fridge and get some of my money back then. Cheap insurance. Things like this always happen at the worst time: a party, the weekend, Thanksgiving, getting ready to go on vacation, brain eating zombies invading the grocery store, etc...

I also had a warranty issue with the fridge door handle getting loose - screws backing out of the plastic handle. Whirlpool took a year to figure out a design fix and had a backorder for their fix. Eventually sending a warranty replacement (new design) pair of metal handles. In the mean time I put some lock-tight on the screw and it has been fine for 5 years. Anybody want to buy a set of new-design metal fridge handles? Never been used! Even after the handle issue I would have given Whirlpool a 5 out of 10 but now after finding out they don't offer a recall, free circuit board or even acknowledge the issue on their website my rating has dropped to about a 3. This is what happens when our government regulations (environmental, safety, labor, permitting) and greed, mostly greed, have companies build products in other countries with overseas labor of $4/day and without overbearing regulations. Perhaps someday America will return to being a nation of risk takers and manufacturers of something. Lets moderate the regulations placed on business and also sue Whirlpool. They optioned for the cheap labor or factory to maximize profits and now they don't want to fix what they sold us. IMO there is obviously a design flaw. When the common event of a bulb blowing out will spike a circuit board to failure, something is amiss. My guess is the circuit design guys planned for the nominal amperage with bulb lit and forgot a normal fact of life - that bulbs blow - spiking the amps and their design goes poof. Perhaps the folks who built the circuit board took some liberties and made that track too narrow but usually track size is not an issue - design is normally the issue. Anyway IMO - Whirlpool should install or a least give away replacement circuit boards on a product recall. They made the profits, they need to repair their mistakes.
A  28th of Feb, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Whirlpool Gold Model GS6SHEXNB00. Fridge side light and temperature controls not working. Freezer, ice maker and fridge are working and cooling fine.

Whirlpool has lost my business for good. I will go ahead and buy a new W10135090 board and replace for ~$75. I called their support and complained to no avail. Itold them this is obviouslly a problem. Stupid on their part. Just send me a new part is all I ask. See ya...

Bill
A  20th of Jul, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I have a GD5RHAXNT00, same problem, lights out fridge side only, arcing, LED's gone now, burnt mark on board, etc. Just got off the phone with Jan at Whirlpool customer service (1-866-698-2538).

After putting on my best dissatisfied customer performance, providing serial numbers for my other appliances, and pointing out the 39, 000+ views and 5-star rating of this post, I explained this should be a recalled item as it has been since remanufactured. "39, 000+ views at diychatroom.com, Jan! You have an obvious responsibility to replace this part and should personally be rewarded for bringing this mounting customer complaint to Whirlpool attention."

After a few moments on hold, I was first offered the $108 part at 25% off, followed by 50% off; but they would not send for free. Must cost them about $54 to make I'm guessing. I refused based on principle and reserved the right to add my name to the list.

I'll buy the W10135090 part for $85, replace myself, and never buy Whirlpool again.

STEVE
A  14th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes
Same stuff! I have the Whirlpool gold conquest, 5 years old. I have had to replace a start relay a board for the ice maker and now the one for the light issue. JUNK. I also have the matching glass top range and the front control panel when out at 3 years old. Now I am just waiting for the dishwasher to go.
N  23rd of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes
I also have this issue with my 5 year old Whirlpool crap appliances. My frig has the same issue as described above by many of you and now I'm going to buy a new board. I have a Whirlpool range that has had the main board replaced once and every now and then the range will go into a power fail (pf) mode and shut off (the light in the oven doesn't work today). Oh ya, my Whirlpool gold dishwasher was replaced two years ago with a Bosch dishwasher after it leaked on are hard wood floors. I'm so done with Whirlpool!!!
A  11th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
March 11 2011 My light went out to day in the fridge and I called Whirlpool to see it anything has changed about a recall... NO. Like my Whirlpool, hate the service. Followed the link and saw how to do the bypass and it works fine.
A new board would have cost me $108.00. Too much for a bad spot on the board.
A  16th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
New Whirlpool Gold Fridge. Bought new 10-04-10 -- 1st Problems icemaker froze internally and ice caused water to flow freely thru the freezer trays and flooded kitchen twice. (2nd time due to thinking possibly kids may have left door open.) Tech came out and wire blocked ice which caused problem. Fixed. 2nd prob - Icemaker never regained making ice again. Tech came out again said we need heater package. Part was backordered. One month later tech came out to install. While tech checking completed job, the water dispenser stopped working. Tech had to reset computer board. All the while during this and just after the ice problem for about 2 months, the fridge would make a horrible screeching sound trying to dispense ice. Of course while tech was here previously, it wouldnt do it. (it would sound intermittently) While this last tech was here it screeched, so tech said we need a "service dispensing motor". Made another tech appt march 23. 2011 -- I dont know if this fridge will last a year??!!!
N  19th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
Continued. Now today after sons baseball practice. Freezer is not making ice. Had enough scheduled a&e service company. Cant have tech come out til March 23rd so no ice til then maybe more depending on issue. WHAT A LEMON!! Called HHGregg where I bought. Of course, goes thru "did you buy extended warranty?- well where not past yr warranty first! Cant return, cant call whirpool for me, can do anything- hands are tied. blah blah blah. made notes to have tech to diagnose ice problem on 23rd. DONT BUY WHIRPOOL GOLD FRIDGE. Will call whirpool manu on monday.
N  23rd of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
Tech came out today to diagnose freezer not making ice. Icemaker motor went bad. Replaced. Still waiting for ice dispenser motor to come in. So far, fridge working ok --- 2 and half hours and counting and no problems. yippie.
A  7th of Apr, 2011 by    0 Votes
I've had the same problems as everyone else. We had our whirlpool gold less than 1 year the first time the ice maker froze up. It had to be fixed 4 times & they still would not replace the fridge. Now the lights & digital panel have gone out in the fridge side. We found a service guy that helped us diagnose the problem over the phone, which saved the service call money, but the part is still going to cost over $100 & we have to fix it. I thought whirlpool was supposed to be a top of the line brand. We also have a whirlpool microwave above the stove that has a short in the bulb or something. I keep replacing the bulb & it keeps blowing. Finally, I got so mad that I hit it & it came on, I just kept hitting it & it would come on. Now, it just won't come on any more. I'm so over whirlpool. They're obviously not what I thought they were.
N  8th of Apr, 2011 by    -1 Votes
Well, it was good while it lasted. The red two u-shaped indicator light came on and off which means "I the freezer refuse to work and you paid too much for me" Basically, freezer not making ice again. On phone with A&E service. Its not their fault, but they give you a four hour window which is half a day and takes up a lot of time.
N  14th of Apr, 2011 by    0 Votes
A&E tech came out again. (he doesnt need gps to find my house anymore) Said the sending unit which operates the u-shaped light that tells the ice maker to not work while the door is open or while there is no ice bin was defective. He replaced and so far so good.
A  2nd of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
I just got off the phone with Whirlpool. They did nothing to help me. Simply stated... once you are out of warranty the company does not care about issues with their products. AVOID ALL WHIRLPOOL PRODUCTS. You think they could at least provide the part at cost or at a discount. This is why American companies fail. Call center in Detroit Michigan... go figure.
A  27th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
Just replaced the board for the second time in five years. Lost a lot of food and freezer items. When emailed with the problem we got a "canned" reply basically stating there is nothing they can do and this has not been heard of previously. That's bs as I sent them a letter after the first failure when the unit was 1.5 years old. Not expecting them to stand behind their product. You could not give me a Maytag appliance at this point.

Time for a class action suite against Maytag!!!
A  3rd of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes
Symptoms: Control led's out, light in refrigerator side out, unit seems to be cooling okay.
Fix: Installed circuit board part number W10135090. Fridge works perfectly. Took about 5 min. Board is located behind rear cardboard panel on bottom left (from behind) fridge. It's in a small white plastic box. Need a 1/4 nut driver and thats it.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree