Acorn Stairlifts Logo

Acorn Stairlifts

Having problems with Acorn Stairlifts?

1866 873 6574 (United States)
1833 295 6749 (Canada)
1800 300 812 (Australia)
+44 800 016 9760 (United Kingdom)
+64 800 782 475 (New Zealand)
+27 800 226 767 (South Africa)
7001 Lake Ellenor Drive
Orlando, Florida

Complaints & Reviews

acorn stairlift 130 and 180 models

If you own an outdoor Acorn stairlift, an Acorn 130 or 180 from 2014 or newer you can qualify to be part of a class action lawsuit against Acorn Stairlifts. This company has been scamming and preying on the elderly for way too long.

The outdoor model they sell is not meant to be used outdoors and when it breaks they charge you a ridiculous amount. The problem is the limit switches rust and corrode very easily and you will be stranded without a stairlift.

The seat base of the newer model seat has a potential of cracking at the pressure points of the base which is a major safety concern. The FDA and CPSC have already been contacted and they are investigating them as part of possible recall. Acorn currently going around and replacing these seat squabs without telling their customers the reason behind it.

The same new style seat of the 130 and 180 tend to cut the wires at the armrest from folding the arm rest up and down. The company came out with a replacement kit but the problem is still happening. Due to their design flaw the company will come out for ridiculous service charge of $250.00 to replace it with another kit that will cut the wires in a few months.

We cannot let this company continue the rip off their customers. Please contact the Girardi Keese Lawfirm at [protected] if you've been affected by Acorn Stairlifts.

acorn stairlift 130 and 180 models

Acorn Stairlifts

send broken parts at no exchange

I bought a used Acorn stair lift last year December which work fine. I
February as stop working and my electrician got in contact with acorn
and was told that is the motherboard which cost 750$ plus shipping. the
bord came and 2 brand new batteries as works for 2 to 3 days and quit.
Got other brand new set batteries work 3 days quit. keep calling acorn
their said is the mother board again. I called several times nothing
send me another board. Not calling me back nothing. I am setting here
very limited in walking have a out hip and 5 disk out on my lower back I
differently need my chair back. I read on your feedback a women had the
same problem she bought a brand new one and Acorn never fix it for her.
Acorn calls them self the number 1 stair-lift company which their not.
I will not stop until I get my 750 $ back or a brand new board. I will
put them on Rip of and more sites from the inI bought a used Acorn stair lift last year December which work fine. I February as stop working and my electrician got in contact with acorn and was told that is the motherboard which cost 750$ plus shipping. the bord came and 2 brand new batteries as works for 2 to 3 days and quit. Got other brand new set batteries work 3 days quit. keep calling acorn their said is the mother board again. I called several times nothing happens I mean 750$ is allot of money when you live on Social Security which their say not refund nor send me another board. Not calling me back nothing. I am setting here very limited in walking have a out hip and 5 disk out on my lower back I differently need my chair back. I read on your feedback a women had the same problem she bought a brand new one and Acorn never fix it for her. Acorn calls them self the number 1 stair-lift company which their not. I will not stop until I get my 750 $ back or a brand new board. I will put them on Rip of and more sites from the Internet to let people know how much Acorn think and do for their people. Internet to let people know
how much Acorn think and do for their people. Also their Customer service is very bad normally the customer is the King but their treating you like a peace of ### . I will also write to the General Attorney and let them know what kind of business these company is doing.
Sincerely Karin Tivoli

advantage of seniors

Recently my in-laws purchased an acorn stairlift, and as others have pointed out, they will charge a...

Palos Verdes Estates Appliances

price fraud

We had an Acorn Stairlifts representative come out to our home, as we were thinking about getting a stairlift for my mother who lives with us. She is 80 years old, and suffers from breathing problems and can no longer walk up and down the stairs. Mom weighs slightly over 305 pounds.

We decided to buy the stairlift, but we were told that because my mom weighed more than 294 pounds, we would have to pay extra for a heavy duty model. The extra cost was $250.00. We agreed, and the representative wrote up the order.

When the installer was putting in the lift, I asked him what was the difference between a regular and heavy duty model. He laughed and said, "This sticker that I'm going to put on the unit"...At my amazement, I asked the installer if he was serious. he replied, "yes...it's a little known gimmick that Acorn uses to pad the cost of the stairlift..."

This is outright fraud, and done to a senior citizen. How can this company get away with this practice. They charge extra for a heavy duty model, and then install a regular unit with a sticker on it...they are selling a product that doesn't exist, and charging extra for it as well.

I can only hope that the Attorney General here in New Jersey ends this type of fraud and deception.

• Da
    Dana McKinney May 13, 2012

My friend saw a an ad on television for a business that manufactures & markets a product that transfers an individual up their steps by riding on a seat that is hooked up to a motorized unit. This business is named Acorn Stairlifts originating from The U.K.. They rent office space here in the U.S., however their product is created in Europe, as it were.

He telephoned the 800 number in the television advertisement, & a measuring technician arrived at his home allegedly only to measure his staircase & leave him an estimation. I was sitting there whenever all of this took place, therefore this is not a 3rd party report of what transpired.

The price for the lift was $3500, which was more than Elgin was prepared to pay. The surveyor, who sounded more like a salesman, tried many ways to convince my friend to buy his lift that day, but Elgin wasn't ready to purchase yet. The Acorn rep finally left, after which, Elgin and I had a conversation about the whole sales pitch. Elgin decided that he wanted to wait and just think about spending that amount of money.

Four days later, the phone rang at Elgin's house, and it was Acorn Stairlifts again. They claimed to have a cancelled stairlift order at a warehouse in NJ, and that they could let him have it for only $3000 if he could put a deposit on it that day. Elgin was not in a position to put a deposit down, so he passed on the offer. Then, 10 days later, another person from Acorn called Elgin, and told him that they were having a special private sale, and that he could buy a new Acorn Stairlift for only $2500, the alleged best price on Acorn Stairlifts. Elgin asked the person on the phone how the price could go from $3500 down to $2500 in only 2 weeks. The person on the phone didn't offer a believable answer, so Elgin just hung up on them.

My friend eventually bought a Bruno stairlift, due to the fact he could get local service and get it at a better price than the Acorn, even after all of the questionable discounts that they offered. Occasionally it's just better to buy from somebody that you know and can rely upon.

Had my friend bought the Acorn when the salesman was there at his house, he would have been ripped off for $1, 000.

• Rm
    rml910 May 28, 2012

I'm in the process of getting quotes from all of these companies. Thanks for sharing your experience. I will definitely keep it in ming.

• Nt
    NTrent Aug 30, 2012

There is really no set price on the Acorn stairlifts. The salesman, come to your house and depending how big your house is, what your neighbor hood looks like, how you carry yourself ($$$) how easy going you are and so on, they can sell you a lift for what they feel you will pay. I know all about what goes on at Acorn stairlifts. If you need a stairlift in the New England area, I have a company that sells services and installs Acorn lifts. I have been dealing with them for many years. All lifts have been the same price no matter who you are. They are honest, reliable and do great work no matter what.
    I have to say more about them, because, they truly love helping people (I mean that) and go above and beyond to make you lift install one the best experiences you will ever have.

• Un
    Unhappy in Westchester Jul 10, 2013

I called ACORN at the recommendation of my mother's physical therapist (95, stroke, stuck upstairs). A sales woman came out the next day. All I wanted was an estimate, which they would not give on the phone. She measured, talked my ear off, then gave an estimate, and said there was a significant discount if I gave a $900 deposit immediately. We don't even know yet if my mother will be able to use it. Also, they offered a 0 interest payment plan, but only if I signed that day. I was almost ripped off by Sleepys two weeks ago. (I paid for it, found a better bed across the street, and went back to cancel, and suddenly they were able to knock off $200; then I did cancel and got a call offering another $50 off their supposed rock-bottom sale price. I ended up paying more for a better bed from a family-owned business across the street, but at least I didn't feel manipulated and ripped off.) I was practically having a break down at the moment since I had just been told that the $8, 000 improvement to my mother's pool made it dangerous (see AAA pool liner complaint) so I couldn't see my way to putting down the money that moment. I had no idea when I called for an estimate that I would have to start paying right away. A friend negotiated for me. I got a reprieve until 7 am tomorrow and was about to call when I decided to look here. The saleswoman said without the deposit by tomorrow, the price will increase and there will be no payment plan. I am curious to see if they call with a better offer. What is a better company in NY metro area? Westchester county?

• Ra
    RAcornbigotted Apr 09, 2015

I used to work for Acorn in their call center. They have a whole department that calls people back on all in home surveyors to offer deep discounts. The call center sales people can discount the cost down to $1500 to $1700 if you just remain interested and keep balking at the higher quotes. They all work on big commissions, so the inside sales people on the phones are willing to go that low and make it up in volume. It is a great product, but over-priced.. Keep holding out until you get them down to under 2K and you will get a good deal on a good product.. The management at the call center in Orlando is very shady. The manager, Dana Mckinney is also a bigot and they have very discriminatory in their hiring practices. They keep the f.t headcount low to avoid some of the federal regulations. THe UK office seems to be much more inclusive and not as bigoted and homophobic as the Southern Baptist preacher's daughter Dana is. She is a hypocrite in her beliefs, smokes and drinks when out with people who do, but acts holier than thou when she is with her church folks.

cancellations of delivery + other

What a terrible time we have had from Acorn stair lifts recommended by Age Concern. For my Parents age 90 & 84not in good health & mobility problems.
Acorn did not just contact us for all delivery dates as requested kept contacted parents who are elderly & very anxious & vunrable.
Kept cancelling just the day before delivery should have taken place, my parents have carers in to help them so timing & day was most important, as we had to be thier & live over a hundred miles away & to get time off work.
Acorn kept changing time & day, & when rearranged cancelled again.
Chair lift now fitted today after a lot of hagling on a mobile phone on our way to be at parents house to be thiere for the delivery. I wanted to cancell as so poor service, but they are in desparate need for this chair lift & to go down the route of organising with another was too much for my parents to cope with.
So be aware, Acorn cannot organise, need a good project manager.
We await to see how the servicing goes!!!

acorn stairlifts is ripping off senior citizens!!

Acorn Stairlifts will send a "Surveyor" out to your home and charge you $4, 500 for a new Acorn Superglide...

acorn

i bought an acorn 3 years for my parents, and they love it. no complaints on their or my end, the sales person was polite and no pressure was implied. so lisa - your lesson is learned by dealing with a rinky dink local shop that is bound to close or skip town. for all others in the stairlift market, deal directly with the manufacture and not a medical bizzare store in town. i did my research and so should you. DEAL DIRECT.

• Le
    lembit Dec 27, 2010

Nonsense, all wrong - my nephew is making this stuff up.. its spam

• Le
    lembit Dec 27, 2010

he needs to wind his head in..

warranty worthless

From August 2007 to date, Acorn Stairlifts declines to honor its one year and lifetime warranty for a...

customer service

I purchased a stair lift from Acorn Stair lifts. The chair lift required repair. I phoned Acorn to see who I...

potential death trap

When I originally ordered the stair lift from Acorn to be installed in my father's house, I was told...

poor quality of materials and horrible installation of custom home stairs

I had called Acorn Stair of Chicago on 12/28/07, I spoke with Larry Pecor I, he stated to me that they were...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices