The Brick / bicast leather sold as &genuine leather&

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
I purchased what was represented by The Brick (Canada) as a leather sectional set (ZENNAH2PK). I was looking for good quality leather sofa set. The sofa set was on The Brick's website with the following description, "The genuine leather upholstery is soft and supple, easy to clean and specially treated to resist splitting and staining". This could not be further from the truth. After getting two rips within a week so I called Leather Genie to come to my home to repair the set. I was informed that the set was "BICAST" leather and the service technician explained that the bicast is a leather by-product and does not have the same wear and durability of real leather. The leather was very easy to rip as demonstrated by the technician. The technician was able to rip it like it was plastic. I called The Brick after the repair to hopefully get a refund or store credit to buy an alternate sofa set. The store manager, "Ms Grant", told me that the sales person was suppose to inform me that the sofa set was bicast since they were trained to do so. Since the sales person was no longer with the store the Manager concluded that the sales person did her job and I was aware that the set was bicast so she refused to help me. I was never informed that the set was bicast since I would not have purchased the set. The new description for this set now excludes the "genuine leather" text and it clearly is advertised as “bicast”. Since my plea to Ms Grant my sofa now has another rip. So the original ad for the sofa now has two faults 1) genuine leather and 2) resist splitting. After paying $150 to repair the first rip, I don't see that it is reasonable to have the set repaired again. I am going to investigate taking The Brick to small claims court to settle the matter since my sofa set is now pretty much trash and embarrassing to have in my living room.

Very unhappy The Brick customer

Comments

Sa
  1st of Aug, 2009
First of all, I own the Zennah Sectional myself and it has been 3 years with absolutely no problems and it is in as good condition as the day I purchased it. Second of all, rips in sofa's made of fairly tough fabric (Bicast may not be leather but it is still stronger then other things such as microfobre) cuts don't just "happen". As a former employee of the Brick I have seen literally hundreds of products leave the store in perfectly good condition and all of a sudden be ripped when the customer has unwrapped it in thier home (these cuts are generally caused by them, and then blame it on the store). People consistently lie about the condition of thier product and exaggurate small scuffs and scrapes and call them "large cuts". A cut on a sofa doesnt just appear, it is usually caused due to pet scratches, knives, scissors etc, all of which ARENT covered under the warranty because it is negligence/misuse. People who claim to keep thier product in "perfect condition" and then when The Brick delivery drivers go to pick it up and it is stained, ripped, and burnt beyond repair.

The moral of the story is that don't blame the store you purchased your product from because cuts don't just appear out of nowhere. And if you feel you aren't gettig the help you deserve you need to remember that 95% of buyers, are liars.
Ch
  10th of Oct, 2009
omg the above response is the same as we've received at the Brick here, rude and calling us liars.

Yeah everyone wants to cut their sofa just to put out Brick employees. We are getting our 3rd replacement pc to our bicast sectional from the Brick and they are claiming they won't honour the extended warranty any longer that we purchased.
They are spider cracking in sections, not cut btw.
They are obvious defects and/or deficiencies in quality with no misuseage of my sofa, I sit on it that's it.

Do NoT BUY FROM THE BRICK!!! - Head office pushes this crappy service back to store level.

I won't ever again, and shouldn't have gotten our latest tv at futureshop having prob with it too. Small prob but same crappy condecending service makes it bigger. We waited 3 weeks for a sat. box. They called when it came in, sold it on us, lied their azzes off again when we showed up saying they never called...told my wife it's not possible to forward a phone message of their employee asking us to come in and pick it up. The girl up front told us it was sold on the way in. Again it wouldn't be a big deal if the manager didn't continue to lie to us and take such a condecending tone.

It obviously starts at the top and rubs all the way down even to former employees :P
Re
  30th of Jan, 2010
Actually to correct you all!! Bi-cast is merely a finish that can be put on leather, bonded leather and vynl.
That particular sectional is a bonded bi-cast leather sofa. The statement geniune leather is correct. Geniune leather means it is made with leather. simple! It can be pig, cow, horse, sheep, and any other farm animal you wish to think of. Bonded leather are smaller cuts of leather which have been bonded together to form larger pieces of leather. Most leather is man made, treated if you will. Bonded leather is an inexpensive way of providing a reasonable quality sheet of leather.
So really if they had said 'Geniune leather" that is fairly accurate. It is usually quite resistant to cracking, splitting and definitely easy to clean. Sofas, wether leather, bonded leather, bicast, generally don't rip with in a week or two of ownership, I am sure "Ms. Grant' had her reasons for not offering to accept responsibility for a sofa ripping that soon into ownership. Sofas generally don't rip unless there has been some form of mistreatment.
Go
  6th of Aug, 2011
We bought a Sofa/Loveseat set from Brick.. the saleperson advised us this was LEATHER ...it peeled, cracked and tore in the first year...I complained in person to the store Manager in Kirkland Qc... the treatment I got was pathetic ...A "DONT CARE ATTIDUDE"... They will never see me... my family or friends again...Your "Rebutal" is B/S as the base is a SPLIT that could be the second or third split the fibres are very tender and the bonding cracks... IMO thesales peeople, ads MISREPRESENT the product...

Gordon Gellis
Go
  13th of Mar, 2012
The so called "Customer Service" is a stall means nothing .. once they have you $$$ they just brush you off...Can not reach a Director @ the head oiffice...they kick the comp[laint bach to Kirkland...No satisfaction... I feel my next move will be Small Claims Court...I wiil post PHOTOS next post.

GG
Pe
  4th of Aug, 2013
I have a bi-cast leather sofa that is doing the same thing.. not from brick though. I'm quite pissed because it cost $4000. and bi-cast is not a finish, and just because something contains leather doesn't make it leather. A bowl of Lucky charms can be served with organic milk... doesn't make my breakfast organic... Bi-cast basically glues a thin piece of leather onto a cheaper material, and thats why it eventually peels. I'm in the process of trying to deal with this. In UK and New Zealand, and many other countries it is illegal to call Bi-cast Leather " leather" .

The Brick Logo The Brick