Subway

Posted: Oct 12, 2017 by

deaf discrimination

INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana
My name is Dinah Lambert. I am from the southern bayous of Louisiana. I am currently living in Indianapolis, Indiana and have been doing so for over 10 years.
Anyway, I have a local Subway near my home which is in walk and riding distance. I visit them frequently.
When going over to purchase lunch today, which by the way was a simple salad. There was only 1 person ahead of me who ordered a sandwich with a female companion. They order there sandwich and moved up the line. I told the worker I am deaf and I read lips and I need a salad please. He ask what kind of meat. I said chicken. He said one or double. I said one. Than he began to chop my salad up as my chicken was being heated up. He walked over it the veggie area. He said what veggie you want. I begin to tell him. He was looking up and down at me trying to rush, which I don't know why because no one was behind me for a while. I kept telling him what I wanted. He looked at me and begin to speak to me like I was a was a 2 year old. Really. My speech is very clear. I recently went deaf from an home invasion of a strangulation. So I just looked at him as he kept talking over me. He would not allow me to speak because he kept talking and pointing to each veggie in his hand. Finally he said just say yes or no as he began to pick up each veggie. I nearly walked out in tears as I just looked at him in such I disbelief. Finally I got my salad and grab some chips and a cup for a coke. The girl who checked me out was so nice, guess she felt sorry for me. Upon leaving people were staring at me and talking about the incident. He made me feel worst than a piece of dirt. I wrote about this on my Facebook page. And I highly meant he was totally disrespectful to me. I did not call out the local Subway on my page though. Instead I decided to contact you. I strongly feel like you should teach Subway places to respect all people including disabled people. I never though of my deafness as a major disabilities until now. I am highly disappointed in your worker but I still love your food.
Sincerely,
Dinah Marie Lambert
Pob 42424
Indianapolis, Indiana
317-362-0o33 phone
317-809-6721 text
Kentucky63@yahoo.com
Complaint comments Comments (1) Complaint country United States Complaint category Law & Civil Rights

Comments

N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    -1 Votes
Obviously your speech is not very clear, if he could not understand what you wanted. How so you know if your speech is clear or not, you cannot her yourself if you are deaf.If you are deaf how do you know that he was speaking to you like you are two years old? You would not be able to hear the tone of his voice so you would not know. Obviously he was not understanding you and it would be easier for him to just pick the vegetables and have you say yes or no. This is not discrimination.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree