[Resolved] Sears / Treadmill / lack of service, attempt to overcharge

We purchased an expensive treadmill from Sears some years ago. Approximately one year ago it failed and we called for service. The service man came out and repaired the machine, which we paid for. The machine failed again and we called for service. Another service man arrived, walked in the door and within five minutes looked in his service computer and announced "there are no parts available, I cannot repair this." We were expected to pay $109 for this service call in which no service whatsoever was rendered. We do not intend to pay for this and will never buy another product from Sears. If something is purchased from Sears, serviced by Sears, then they should know before they dispatch someone whether they can service it or not without expecting the consumer to pay for a useless service call.

• Resolution statement

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Mar 24, 2009

Dear Tony Soans:

I am very sorry to hear about your unsatisfactory experience with Sears’ service. My name is Brian and I work for Sears. At your convenience, I would like to talk with you more in detail about this experience. Please contact me at searscares@searshc.com so that we can look for a solution that would more suitably meet this and any future needs.

Brian J.
    Senior Case Manager

Comments

• To
      27th of Mar, 2009

Dear Brian,

We have spoken about this case and you have informed me that the account has been turned over to Collection. Is Sears insane? I owe Sears nothing and will pay nothing.

Sears has shown that they really do not care. First they provided no service, then they sent no bill just a letter from an "Audit Department." I responded with a letter which they totally ignored and just turned the account over to Collection.

You did offer to reimburse me if I will pay the bill. No Way!! If I receive a bill I will forward it to you to deal with. Sears has so totally screwed up their relationship with me that I am now lost as a customer. Good luck in your quest to sort things out, I think the deck is stacked against you. Sears Sucks, good company gone bad. Do you really expect a customer to pay for something that they don't owe just to clean up the books that are wrong to begin with???? Go find whoever ignored my letter and feed it to them for lunch because that cost Sears a customer and may eventually cost you all your jobs.

Tony Soans

• To
      30th of Mar, 2009

Brian,

Thank you for notifying me that Sears has done the right thing and credited the outstanding balance for the non-service provided.

Tony Soans

• Se
      5th of Apr, 2012

I purchased an expensive PROFORM treadmill from Sears in 2007. Your service man arrived, walked in the door and within five minutes looked in his service computer and announced "your treadmill is a boat anchor." I am expected to pay $109 for this service call in which no service whatsoever was rendered. My appointment was supposed to be Saturday 3/31/12. No one showed up. I called and they said someone would be out on Thursday 3/5/12. They said someone would call BEFORE they came to my house. I was at work, and could not get home. I missed the call, but the guy came out anyway, leaving a message saying "he was at the house".
    A friend happened to be at my house at the time, they called me at work. The VERY RUDE Sears repair man said my treadmill was a boat anchor and would be $600 to fix. He Demanded his money for coming out and said "he can't leave till he gets it"! I told him that I am at work and can't leave, HE THEN SAID HE WILL COME TO MY WORK TO COLLECT THE MONEY. I don't appreciate someone coming to my house like that and I feel this is VERY POOR SERVICE!!!
    I AM VERY UPSET ABOUT THIS SITUATION!!!
    I fully expected this "repair" to be fixed. Not your service person telling me after 5 min.s being there that my Proform treadmill that I bought from Sears is junk.. and possibly don't know how to deal with it.
    Sears was our go-to on appliances. No more I will never purchase anything from your store and I will NEVER use your service again! I am VERY UPSET ABOUT THIS!!!