Recently I took my four year old daughter to the local Wal-Mart (located in Brandon, Manitoba) She was hungry, so naturally I stopped at the first available place for food--Which happened to be a McDonalds located in the same building as Wal-Mart.
She ordered the standard "Happy Meal" and a yogurt parfait to follow.
During the parfait portion of the meal, I was shocked when she pulled out a STAPLE from her mouth and said, "Mommy, what is this?"
I was VERY angry (needless to say) and didn't feel I would be able to control my temper when approaching the teenage staff that was working the counter at McDonalds that day.
Due to this, I handed the staple to her father and he went to the counter with the complaint.
I was annoyed when nothing more was done other than offering to make us a new parfait. Obviously I wasn't going to allow something similar to happen, so we ended up walking out.
Of course they apologised, and due to their age had no idea what to say to us. For some reason, I am thinking an apology wasn't quite good enough when I think of what COULD HAVE happened, had she actually SWALLOWED the staple!
I am disgusted, annoyed, frustrated, angry and above all hurt! Hurt that a company that prides themselves on their standards had failed to make sure someone didn't stir in a staple into my daughters parfait that day.
See, it would be one thing if the packaging it came in CONTAINED a staple, and it just "fell in." However, this is not quite the case. There was no bags, no recept adhered to the bag in any form or fashion. This was a RANDOM STAPLE inserted into her yogurt.
Needless to say, my daughter, my parents, her father, and every single other friend of mine with children has stopped ordering from this fast food chain.
I would hope they would be more careful in the future. Thank God she was four years old, and able to notice something like that in her mouth--And not a baby.
N. L. Schroeder