Maytag / French Door Refrigerator

Posted:

problems with the ice maker!

4.1
I bought my maytag ice2o French door refrigerator from home depot 8 mos ago. Loved it when I got it, but soon after had problems with the ice maker. They replaced the ice maker. Now the ice maker is still having problems. Its not strong enough to break up all the ice. The ice cubes freeze in big blocks causing the system to clog. Last night the thing took on a mind of its own. All the lights are flashing on the control panel, the ice and water maker don't work at all. The flap is constantly opening and closing all on its own, constantly making a clicking noise all night long. Finally we had to unplug it so we could get 4 hours sleep. Plug it in this morning and its still doing it. My biggest concern is what happens after the warranty runs out. I already know this thing has mechanical problems. Did I get a lemon or is it junk?? Either way I'm stuck with a $2,800 refrigerator that seems like it has bad engineering.
Maytag Customer Care's Response, Mar 31, 2017
Dear Valerie: We are sorry to hear of the issue that you are experiencing with your Refrigerator.
We would be happy to look into this matter. If you could email us at Maytag_Reviews@Maytag.com with your name, phone number, and address along with the model and serial number of the Refrigerator.
Complaint comments Comments (422)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Appliances

Comments

N  1st of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes
Ok!!! Well the part didn't show up thursday like they said... So I had to cancel the service appointment. I just got off the phone with customer service to find out if the part had been sent. Well imagine my surprise when I was informed the part is on backorder until DECEMBER 10TH!!! You are kidding me right???!!! I asked the rep if they would notify me when the part was shipped since it went from being 2 days to a month and a half wait for my part. She said that it was my responsibility to check back with them if the part had come in. I was told I should use a secondary refrigerator or ice chest until the part arrived. I don't know about the rest of the people on this site but, I will never ever purchase a MAYTAG APPLIANCE OF ANY TYPE!!! Once again, I'll update this post if and when the part arrives and the fridge is repaired.
N  2nd of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes
my maytag french door is 4 years old and our 3rd icemaker was installed this afternoon. I am totally disgusted with this 2200.000 fridge. if it happens again i will go back to a side by side from GE
N  21st of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes
I've been reading the comments on this board for awhile (first time a few years ago when I had my initial encounter with the flapping in the door). The good news is that the comments were very helpful to me. I even went to a recommended web site and learned how to disconnect the ice maker so the flapping stopped until it could be repaired. WHAT HELP THE MOST WAS THIS PHONE NUMBER: (800-462-9824). Somewhere back on page 7 of these comments, someone posted this number as the number to call for help. I've used it twice now. The people I talked to answer "Whirlpool" and are very helpful. They are aware of the issue, they order the part, it's sent to your house, they call the repair shop to let them know that the service call should be charged back to them. I am currently awaiting another part. Hopefully this fixes the issue for once and for all, but not sure if it will? This time the issue was still flapping noises, lights flashing, but not as frequently. I couldn't use the ice or water on the door, and the lights flashed every time I opened the door .. flapping would also begin. New .. this morning... the refrigerator and freezer stopped cooling sometime during the night. I emptied the ice tray and started cleaning out the fridge -- had to leave the doors opened so the beep started. When I was finished, I closed the doors and the lights on the ice/water dispenser remained on for about 15 minutes. They are off now, and the flapping has started again. I may be calling that number again soon. I'm the Thanksgiving dinner host for my family this year, so need a working fridge.
N  25th of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes
I had the same problem like the rest of you, I replaced the HV board and after entering the code (1411) printed on my fridge it wouldn´t work. I was desperate and started searching the web looking for help, I was glad I did find a lot of help and found a different code (0302) so I used it and to my surprise it seemed to work.
Now the only thing is I can´t get my ice maker or water supply to work. What should I do?
A  30th of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes
I have the same problem, , , I called Maytag tonight to find out I am just out of warranty an they said all they can do it recommened a service provider. I was in shock to find out I spent $4000 with my extended warranty an that was there reply. What happened to the days when a company stood behind there product? I thought I was purchasing a very nice product, as it turns out its poorly engieneered...I'm very disappointed.How much does this type of repair cost??

Please reply to pc1112@sc.rr.com
N  13th of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
I am having trouble with my Maytag refrigerator also but different problem. The ice machine gets to full and falls on the floor of the refrigerator and when I open the door the ice cubes fall on the floor. Almost everytime I have to bend over and pick them off the floor. I am battleing cancer and am 3 months post radiation and I'm tired of this. I also hate the Maytag refrigerator. I have a botton drawer and french doors.
N  13th of Dec, 2010 by    -1 Votes
I also hate Maytag. My icemaker doesn't shut off and continues to overflow the basket and the ice cubes fall on the floor of the freezer and when I open the door they fall out on the floor. I am constantly bending over and picking ice cubes off the floor. I am fighting cancer and this is very hard on me but afraid someone will fall we are in our 70's. I will never buy a Maytag again. Very poor design.
N  1st of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
wow i have all the above problems, no ice and water .
A  7th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
I too purchased the Maytag French door/ice/water dispensed out of the door model. After about 12 months the refrig started the lights flashing/ ice flap banging etc. actions. I did not have an extended warranty so I called the repair person. The mother board was out. $450 dollars later I had a running refrig. The ice maker does not make enough ice for 8 glasses of ice. When I have guests I have to purchase ice. I also purchased a Maytag dishwasher. Dumb twice. I will never purchase another Maytag product again. I have had Maytag washers/dryers for 40+ years but no more.
A  30th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
I have had this refrigerater Mod# mfi2269vea1, for eighteen months the shelving support has broken for the forth time. The door seal broke on the 13th month just after warrentee. Some of the items freeze in different areas wasting food.We have an extended warrentee which we just found out only covers mechanical parts compressors, ice makers etc, all for only 226.00 for three years. The original cost of this refrigerater was 2200.00. I would recomend a class action LAW SUIT against them just so that this does not happen to anymore hard working people. I wouldnt mind if this was a low end refrigerater for 400.00 like i have in garage.That refrigerater works better than this one for sure.How do we start this LAW SUIT now???
A  1st of Apr, 2011 by    0 Votes
It used to be buying a Maytag meant that you were buying quality merchandise. I had a Maytag washer that we bought when it was 15 years old, I had it for an additional 10 years, and then my sister had it for another 15 years; it was still running great when she got rid of it last year! But this is about their refrigerator, not their washer. After reading each and every one of these comments, I may never ever buy a Maytag again. I was considering buying a used Maytag French Door refrigerator for $200, but after seeing these comments, and the lack of resolution, I will save my $200 and look elsewhere. WOW. What a piece of junk...I am glad I looked. Thanks and I am so sorry to see how many problems everyone is having.
N  9th of May, 2011 by    0 Votes
Same problem with popping and flashing. Thanks all for helpful info. I just unplugged and im now on my journey for the fix.
N  8th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
My Maytag French Door is five years old. All of a sudden the lights started flashing and door flapping. Fortunately we have extended warranty and also the fridge is still cooling.
Don't even talk about class action suit. Only attorneys make anything off of them.
We got about $35.00 from an airline class action and $0.00 from Synthroid suit after all of the paperwork it was a waste of time.
A  21st of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
Add us to the list of those who got flashing panel lights and flapping ice flap. Thanks to the excellent guide by sd (http://www.liny.net/MaytagIce2O.htm) referenced from Appliance Guru (http://applianceguru.com/view_topic.php?id=13035&forum_id=1&jump_to=75815) a trip to Radio Shack, $3.58, and a few minutes with the soldering iron looks to have fixed the problem
N  11th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes
Same problem here with blinking lights, no water, and ice server spinning. Unplugged the wiring, fridge starting cooling. Fridge is 5 years old. $2400. Next fridge will be a $800 throw away - not a Maytag either.
A  24th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes
Purchased my ice2o in '06, worked pretty good til 22nd of July '11. Pretty much same problems as the rest of y'all, ice door opening and closing uncontrollably, display on front panel flashing, so on and so on. Spent a lot of money on this unit, first fridge that I have purchased new. Had a no-name fridge prior to this one for 13 years and was still working fine when I got rid of it, my mistake. Anyway, local appliance parts store had the control board in-stock, 205 bucks. It is simple to replace. It's a shame that maytag went for the lowest bidder on components!
N  28th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes
i AM HAVING THE SAME TROUBLE 14 MONTHS OUT AFTER PURCHASE.. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT ANYONE AT MAYTAG (WROOLPOOL) THEY DIRECT YOU TO A REPAIR COMPANY.. AND REFUSE TO HELP YOU AT ALL.. NOW AFTER HAVING A REPAIR MAN .. SAYS I NEED A TINY PART IN THE DOOR.. OF THE FREEZER.. SINCE 2009.. YOU NOW CAN'T GET ANY PARTS.. YOU MUST REPLACE THE WHOLE DOOR $750.00 PLUS SHIPPING. A TEN CENT PIECE OF FAULTY PLASTIC.. WHAT A RIP OFF.. WILL NEVER BUY FROM THEM AGAIN..
N  7th of Aug, 2011 by    0 Votes
Me too. Went out Friday right as out of town guests arrived. Called Maytag and the woman acted like this was a new problem. Told her I did an internet search and this problem is allover the internet as known problem and asked to speak to someone else who may know about the problem. After 15 minutes on hold she told me she would do a "one time only favor" and have the part sent out next week and a repairman was scheduled for two weeks out. The good news is a part and repair is scheduled. The bad news is I have a house full of visitors and no refrigerator.
N  19th of Sep, 2011 by    0 Votes
I also have a Maytag H20 refrigerator that I purchased in July 2006. I had to have the board in the front by the water/ice dispenser replaced the first year. Last week the ice maker stopped working. I called Whirlpool and scheduled a repairman to come look at the refrigerator. I was informed by the service tech that the ice maker was unrepairable due to a shorted out wire in the harness. I believe it is an area that is unaccessible. I called Whirlpool and they were very rude and just keep saying that it wasn't under warranty and they couldn't do anything about the issue. Needless to say I was very upset because I had paid $2500 for the refrigerator and purchased it due to their superior reputation and reliablity. I called another number in Tennessee and talked to a nice woman who listened to my complaint and said she would address the issue with the review board and they would decide if they could do sometime for me, ex. proate the refrigerator price. I am waiting to hear from them...24 to 48 hours wait time. At least they were much nicer in the Tennessee office. I do not expect much from them. I will never buy another Maytag/Whirlpool product again. It is no wonder that foreign products are taking over the America market. The economy is awful and people do not have the money to replace a large ticket item. After reading the posts I am now worried that the unit will stop working all together in the near future...where will I find the money to replace my refrigerator? Maytag/Whirlpool needs to stand by there products and replace/fixed all these problems. I just wanted to fix the ice maker...who ever heard of a problem that can not be fixed. How is that even possible...I hope someone has an answer because it makes no sense to me.
A  24th of Oct, 2011 by    0 Votes
Same problem. Door flapping at 3 AM. It was caused by two electrolytic capacitors on the main board, accessed behind the refrigerator. They had failed as evidenced by swollen tops with some black leakage showing. They were rated at 680 microfarad 35V. I went to Radio Shack and found that they didn't carry that exact part. Instead, I purchased two 1000 microfarad 35V capacitors for about $1.85 each. Removing the bad ones and soldering these in place took about 10 minutes and completely solved the problem.

Removing the circuit board from the refrigerator is easy: 4 screws and two plastic spring clips, then unplug four cables. Even if you haven't soldered before and have to purchase a soldering pen and some solder, the entire fix would cost less than $20. Driving to Radio Shack was the biggest time requirement.

Good luck!