Empire Today / fraud

1 NJ, United States Review updated:

I am totally disgusted with Empire Today. My husband and I decided to shop around before we bought carpet. First we had Mercer Carpet from Hamilton NJ come in and give us a wonderful estimate. As the salesman from Mercer Carpet came walking through the door the Empire salesman "Paul Sherlock" came walking through our door; knowing as he arrived that we were doing our homework. After giving us the sales pitch for a while he told us how we could get these wonderful discounts...etc. Needless to say he said they could beat the competitor's pricing. He also said Mercer Carpet wasn't quoting us for the correct amount of sq. yards. Of course Empires being much more than then competitors. Not only was Empire able to "match" but they were able to "beat" the competitor's price by $100.00. Everything sounded good...Until we started writing out the contract...

The salesman "Paul Sherlock, from Empire" said that because of the low cost he proposed, he now would be charged a kick back. So if we could write a check out to him for $275.00 we would then be charged the balance the day the carpet was installed. My husband and I actually thought that he was a contractor for Empire, when in fact he is actually an employee for Empire. So we didnt think too much of it. We then looked at our contract for Empire and it made no mention of our $275.00 check. I checked with our bank and this gentleman indeed signed the check and had it deposited into his direct account.

After making Empire aware that they have a salesman who is ripping them off and the customer off, we were told they did a thorough investigation and despite the cancelled check(showing the deposit), the contract from Empire (w/out the deposit included) and our credit card receipt(showing full payment), Empire doesnt seem to think that there is a problem and plans on doing nothing about it. I will get my $275.00 back!

Comments

• Br
      3rd of Mar, 2011

I'm so embarrassed to say I worked for this company. Everything that is said about there business practices is true. They say that they sale value and quality, the carpet they sale for the most part is low in. The sales people are taught to get to most for each job sold, and if they don't they hear about it at there next sales meeting and won't get as many leads until they bring there numbers up. They make you make phony call during the appointment to make it look like your getting a better deal from the manger. It's all so unethical, I glad to say I am no longer with this shady company.