Empire Today / installation nightmare

1 IL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-588-2300

In December 2007 Empire's installers spilled a small can of stain which ruined some trim boards and splattered on a stone front bar. I have left several messages for a Donna (no last name known) x3169 to no avail. I have emailed pictures of the damage, faxed receipts for proof of cost of products damaged and as of 2/29/08 still do not have this rectified. I was not able to stay for the installation and my wife was not aware this was done by the installers as they did not report spilling the stain to us.

Comments

• Di
      18th of Aug, 2008

I recently hired Empire Today for carpet and laminate flooring for my home. What a mistake. The mintue the installer hit the driveway he demanded his money up front. I explained that my Fiance would bring it home on his lunch hour, half being paid in check and half in cash. They don't except personal checks so he had to call his office for approval before starting the job. He got approval and started installing the laminate. The carpet installers showed up two hours later and they wanted their money for the carpet installation. I explained how I intended to pay and the previous approval recieved from the laminate installer and noticed that they were just hanging around and not doing much. The carpet installer said that their policy with Empire was that the carpet was paid on one invoice and the laminate paid on another invoice. I told him I hired Empire one company, one payment. My Fiance came home and left me the money and went back to work. Shortly after the laminate installer comes in and tells me that he is going to finish the hallway and he is walking off the job. I was stunned, he never had discussed the payment other then the early morning and had he came to me after lunch I would have given him the money and so on, after a heated discussion the laminate installer refused to deal with me, payment was counted and processed with the carpet installer who didn't want to hold the money and gave it back to me. Prior to all this I was told by the laminate floor installer that my flooring was not all that it was suppose to be according to my sales rep, that the flooring will scratch by simply sliding a piece of furniture over it. The entire experience was a nightmare. Go through Lowes or someone that has a great product, sales team and so on. Empire Today Sucks!!!

• En
      25th of Sep, 2008

I work at a retailer that sells flooring, i can say from experience that all the money issues should have been delt with prior to the installer's coming over as this seems to be the brunt of the drama.

Laminate will scratch yes but not easily, even the cheap stuff will not scratch easily, you have to keep in mind that pets with claws not trimmed will not scratch laminate.

I see you mentioned that the installer said that it will scratch if you move furniture across it, all you simply have to do is get some felt pads or pads that go on the bottom of furniture, you can buy them at home depot, PROBLEM SOLVED LOL.

It sounds like he said that just to irk you, dont be irk'd your flooring is fine.

Im sorry to hear that you got poor customer service, youll probably be better off next time if you use your local home depot or "lowes".