Direct TV / misrepresentation-contract fraud

Long Beach, United States

I ordered Directv through Verizon services (surely the topic of another complaint). The customer service rep at Verizon quoted a price of $34.00, and cents for monthly service as part of the package. I declined the "free" DVD recorder, as it is not free at all because of a monthly maintenance charge, and asked for the basic service in a follow-up call to Directv. Today I received a bill for $55.99. I called to cancel the service. Enough is enough. The customer rep did not want to listen to my simple request: Cancel My Service and started telling me about rebates. OK, so I listened, and the rebates, if begun, and I do not know for how long, would not bump the price down to $34.00 and cents, it would bump it to $42.99.

But the worst part... no one at Verizon or Directv told me I was getting an 18 month contract. Oh, yes, now that I go read the fine print, its hidden there, but, can you imagine a company, and that includes both Verizon and Directv never ever letting on in my various verbal contacts that I was signing up for an 18 month contract, and now it is going to cost me $360.00 to cancel my services. I do not have this kind of money for this.
Gr