CVS Pharmacy Rahway, NJ / price gouging

1 St Georges AvenueRahway, NJ, United States Review updated:
Phone: (732) 396-1990

Please read all the way through. This might be a long post but the facts are important. CVS -Caremark is guilty of price gouging. This is especially true for those of us who do not have Prescription coverage. Look at these numbers. CVS charges $59.85 for 10 (ten) Buphenorphine 8 mg tablets. CVS charges $70.00 for a "Z-Pack". CVS charges $39.00 for 30 (thirty) Sertraline 100 mg tablets. I happened to receive a postcard from a new pharmacy that opened in my area. So I thought I would give them a call to check their prices. What I found out is astonishing...
First the Buphenorphine. CVS charged $59.85 for ten 8 mg tabs, new pharmacy charged $47.00 for 20 (TWENTY) 8 mg tabs! Twice as much for less money! Then the Z pack. I paid $70 for at CVS. New pharmacy charges $15!! Then the Sertraline. I was paying $39 for 30 tablets from CVS. New pharmacy charges $6!

The owner of the new store assured me that he is making a profit. Of course he is! We expect him to, he is in business! He's still turning a profit but look at CVS and how they are taking such advantage of customers without insurance! Even those with insurance run into trouble! Last year they charged me $115 for an Rx for my mother who has MediCare. I asked are you sure you put it through the insurance? Yes, yes I'm sure. That is the co-pay because it is a Tier Three drug blah blah blah. My mom needed the medication, so I, of course, paid the money. Then I called Medicare about two weeks later to find out why the drug was so expensive. They told me the drug is covered with a $7 co-pay and that no claim was ever submitted for the last Rx that I paid for. Oh and by the way, just to be clear, It was NOT a Tier Three Medication. The CVS white coat was just making up BS to get me to pay him and shorten the line! I hate typing in all caps so pretend this is bold, OK? >> If you are a CVS customer with or without Rx Coverage I urge you to shop the Rx around!<< Especially try small, local, Mom an Pop type places. I paid for these Meds for -5 years- before realizing I was getting ripped off! Call smaller places! Don't call Walgreens. Walgreens does the same thing and so that made me assume the Meds would cost that much everywhere! Please, I urge you to compare prices of your medication. The Meds are the same, but the prices are very, very different. Thanks for reading this, I hope it didn't seem like a rant. I am just still amazed that they an get away with what they are doing.

Ro
Jul 9, 2015

Comments

• Th
      9th of Jul, 2015

I don't think you understand what price gouging actually means. Go to another store if you find their prices better.

• Ro
      18th of Jul, 2015

You are right, the true definition of "price gouging" is raising a price following a sudden demand. Your suggestion that I shop elsewhere is well taken. In fact, it was the entire point of my original post. I have found much lower prices and no longer use CVS Pharmacy for my prescription needs. My point was to present actual evidence that the store is taking advantage of the high number of uninsured Americans. Maybe that's not "gouging" by dictionary definition, but it's surely an unfair practice born of corporate greed. Thank tou for your comment.

• Th
      20th of Jul, 2015

"My point was to present actual evidence that the store is taking advantage of the high number of uninsured Americans. Maybe that's not "gouging" by dictionary definition, but it's surely an unfair practice born of corporate greed"

Businesses are entitled to set their prices however they wish. Consumers are entitled to purchase where ever they wish.

There is no "actual evidence" in your complaint beyond this basic concept of what a free market is.