Bell Canada Home Phone / poor corporate judgement

1 Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

After my home phone went dead, I tried using an on-line chat with a representative to report the problem. The representative requested that I divulge my account number and password. I did not trust the on-line chat to be a secure form of communication so I refused to provide this information. As a result the representative refused to file a report concerning the fact that my home phone was not working. I tried calling 1 800 310-Bell but that just got me AT&T in the US.

What really annoys me is that Bell would demand that their customers divuge their account numbers and passwords to strangers on the other end of an on-line chat connection. Identity theft is a serious matter and companies like Bell should be setting a better example by encourageing their customers to be very careful. This suggests to me that Bell's management - at least parts of it - are made up of people who show very poor judgement.

Comments

• Bl
      21st of Sep, 2009

I completely agree with you! The fact that a chat representative requests this type of information is so risky! There are a lot of hackers and identity thieves so...better careful with that! The 310-bell should work correctly instead of sending you to another company's phone number. So, that is Bell's problem, they have to change their phone system!!! Good luck next time...