Alamo / alamo is not an honest company

I have booked a car for 4 days from Alamo through the Internet, to be picked up at Raleigh-Durham airport. The charge is around $130 total. It is a good rate and the cheapest that I could find on the internet. On the day of the pick-up, I arrived at the rental counter 1/2 hour early because of early flight arrival. I was surprised to learn that they would charge me $30 more for picking up 1/2 hour early, saying that that's how the computer works and there is nothing they could do about it. I then decided to wait 30 minutes to pick up my car. During the 3o-minute waiting time, I heard 2 other customers who wanted to change their rental time slightly and were being charged outrageous prices on top of the original prices. After I finished signing the rental agreement, I wanted to test how Alamo would respond to a normal situation. I asked what would be the additional charge if I return the car 2 hours later the original booking time. The agent behind the counter said he did not know and the computer would not show. He said the only way to find out was to return it 2 hours later than the agreed time and the computer would then show what it would be. That's sounded so ridiculous because if I could book via the internet by talking to their computer, why couldn't their computer tell me the late charges. I do not like the eerie feeling of being charge an unknown outrageous amount.

When I stepped out of the rental office, I made a remark to another Alamo customer that Alamo is scamming its customers. He said he had the same feeling. He and I both said it would be our last time doing business with Alamo.

Kc

Comments

• Ca
      20th of Jun, 2009

Alamo: Why are you Charging me a hidden Fee?

Between May 10th and may 24th, 2009, I rented a Ford Focus through a travel agency in Costa Rica, from where I come from (turhokeanos.co.cr) with ALL INCLUSIVE in Orlando Florida.
    Every thing was fine, until they charge an extra $123.53 "Carefree Personal Protection" (CPP) which I NEVER order.
    Seems to be that the rental agent at the Orlando International Airport decided that I needed such insurance, but she never ask me for that, the only thing she said was: do you need a GPS in Spanish? I answered: I don’t need a GPS in Spanish. And she printed the receipt and made me sign with my initials.
    If I bought an ALL INCLUSIVE PACAGE to the travel agency, why I will need an additional CPP???? And I told her: give me only what is included in my reservation.

What I think is, she is getting a great commission, selling "extras" that customers don't order, don't need and don't know are paying.

Let me ask you: Will be the First and last time, I ever rent a car with ALAMO??
    Alamo: don’t take advantage of honest and hard working people, give my money back.

Carlos Calderon; from San José, Costa Rica.
    RA# 417108288 RES#449348689 Contract ID S00208NK