ADT / alarm not working properly

79 Nimbus RoadHolbrook, United States Review updated:
3.35
Phone: 917-692-5935
Approx. 5 years agi I bought the home we are living in now. I have a wireless system in my home.
The key pad previouly to this one was about 25 years old. I have been after ADT to get a new key pad. And on Monday 11/10/08 ADT installed a new one I paid $167.00. I have been going back and forth with the sales rep his name is (Chris) in Holbrook, NY office. to make a long story short. I asked him since I came in the home as a new owner I should have an upgrade. He has been very rude, arragant. and not willing to cooperate with anything. When the ADT guy let my home on Monday, I started to get problems with senser 16 in my kitchen. I called back and complaint. they sent another ADT tech to my home he said the sensor was bad, which was not and he changed it. He left again I had problems. I called again and complaint. They sent the original guy that came on Monday 11/10/08 back to my home. He said that he did the programing wrong. He spoke to the supervisor (Chris) and the answer he gave me was we can't keep on coming back here. we will be charged. Why do I need to be charged for somethign that ADT is not instaling correct? My next step is to go down to Consumers Affairs and make my complaint.

Comments

Ji
  3rd of Jun, 2009
If ANYONE ever gets an alarm, MAKE SURE they dont REUSE old equipment! That is more than likely your issue.Have the installer/repairman replace the sensor by using a NEW wired or wireless sensor!Many companies "takeover" old ratty equipment and expect a new panel to fix anything, this is WRONG!
Always ask the installer to use new equipment !!!
Ja
  28th of Jul, 2010
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
ADT Security is a joke! And a ripoff too!
I know because I worked for them for almost 2 years as a commercial and residential service engineer in Arizona.
I designed, installed and tested technical security systems at US embassies and consulates before I retired from the USG and went to work for ADT. I am an electronic engineer and had specialized USG training in all aspects of technical security. I did military communications systems engineering for 23 years prior to working in security.
When ADT hired me, they promised 30 days of training and I got nothing! They also said I would earn $75k but it was less than half that amount. And ADT managers, who knew nothing about security, expected and demanded that service personnel do at least 7 service calls per day, regardless of the complexity of the problem. Service crews were sent out with no parts and often had to call other service personnel to see if they were nearby and had the part needed.

ADT installs alarm systems that do not work and when a burglary does happen, they tell the customer ADT is not liable since the customer did not test his alarm system monthly as they are supposed to do.
Most homeowners would not even know if their system was communicating or not with ADTs monitors (they either have a communication link over a telephone circuit or a wireless connection via a cell radio transmitter). I personally saw situations where the system was installed and not working properly and the customer had been paying for months or up to a year without knowing it.
Yet despite all the shortcomings, ADT sees fit to charge $30-40 a month for a false sense of security - it's all about profit and little to do with customer service and satisfaction.
And ADT has no installation standards, installer training, or spare parts on service trucks. I was sent to one customer’s home which was about a 1 hour ride away; when I arrived he needed a few standard 1.5 volt batteries and I had none on my truck. I had to drive to the nearest Ace hardware and buy them using my own money. At other residences, I found the heavy alarm panel mounted with only drywall screws (it was falling off the wall), exposed conductors on wires, panels installed upside down, and sensors that had been installed days ago falling off.
ADT sales reps know little about security principles and how to design a proper alarm system. They advertize the $99 special, which is OK for a studio apartment at best, and then use the bait and switch scam to get the customer to shell out $1000 or more for an “expanded” home alarm system. Sales reps are out to maximize the total sale dollar amount since they get paid on commission.
And ADT will take over any system ever installed by anyone else, as long as the customer pays the $30-40 monthly fee. Then ADT will not have trained personnel or parts to support these odd ball systems when they do fail.
Buyer beware! It is a known fact that a big guard dog is a better deterrent for burglary! And keep in mind that a critical factor for any alarm system is the time it takes for police to respond to the alarm– if you are in a remote location and it takes 30 minutes for police to get there, burglars have this much time to crash and grab.

ADT Security Services Logo ADT Security Services