Having problems with Citizens Bank?

Citizens Bank reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Nov 13, 2008. The latest review Unethical Business practices was posted on Sep 10, 2021. The latest complaint concerns with citizens bank security policy and implementation was resolved on Sep 19, 2017. Citizens Bank has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 285 reviews. Citizens Bank has resolved 52 complaints.

Citizens Bank Customer Service Contacts

+1 877 360 2472 (Checking and Savings Accounts)
+1 800 922 9999 (Checking and Savings Accounts)
+1 800 600 0008 (Student Loan Applications)
+1 866 259 3767 (Student Loans)
+1 888 411 0266 (Education Refinance Loan Applications)
+1 866 259 3767 (Education Refinance Loans)
+1 800 340 5626 (Application for a New Home Loan)
+1 800 999 0216 (Existing Home Loan)
+1 888 514 2300 (New Mortgage Applications)
+1 800 234 6002 (Existing Mortgage Customers)
+1 888 333 5145 (Credit Card Applications)
+1 800 684 2222 (Credit Cards)
+1 888 333 0246 (Personal Loan Applications)
+1 866 999 0107 (Personal Loans)
+1 877 670 5200 (Wealth Management)
+1 800 862 6200 (Existing Business Banking Customers)
+1 800 428 7463 (New Customers)
1 Citizens Plz
Providence, Rhode Island

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Citizens Bank Customer Service. Initial Citizens Bank complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Citizens Bank above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Citizens Bank. Discuss the issues you have had with Citizens Bank and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Citizens Bank Complaints & Reviews, Page 10

Citizens Bank — checking account

I have been a customer for a while now, I made a deposit on Monday afternoon and I was told it would be...

Citizens Bankcustomer service agents silent on overdraft protection plans, resulting in customer excess fees

Date of incident: 5.24.17
My account was overdrawn by about $8, the bank charged a $35 fee (up from what used to be a $30 fee) - as soon as I realized that my account was overdrawn this morning, I transferred all required funds to cover the overdraft and called customer service to explain the situation and avoid the fees. The supervisor I spoke with was NOT helpful or understanding at all, but mentioned one thing that no other agent previously mentioned: overdraft protection! I have had overdraft situations before, but all with minimal amounts up to $10 that resulted from direct authorized transactions (I didn't exactly know when they would occur every month, that's why I kept falling into the trap). I am currently a student, so my budget is very limited every month and I simply CANNOT afford to be paying Citizens bank so many fees every month. I am especially frustrated about this, because the overdraft is for minimal amounts, and I ALWAYS make sure to transfer funds as soon as I see that my account has been overdrawn. As I said, I spoke to multiple customer service agents regarding this issue, and NOONE ever mentioned overdraft protection to me before. This leads me to believe that agents might be instructed to "avoid" informing customers about this option, so that the bank keeps charging the higher fees for overdraft!! I repeatedly had such conversations with agents, and noone ever mentioned this option to me before, which would have saved me a lot of money in fees. The supervisor I spoke with today was not understanding of my situation at all. I would hope that Citizens Bank would be more supportive and understanding of its clients, and especially students. I am extremely disappointed about this situation and I am planning to inform student services at my university to caution students planning to bank with Citizens. I will also be informing all my fellow students and friends about this and will begin the process of tranfering to another bank, as I am extremely disappointed with how I have been treated. I will not be a student forever, but how you are treated in a time of need is extremely telling of a company's true values and culture.
If this issue was to be resolved, a desired resolution for me would be to get a rebate for the fees that I was charged.

Citizens Bankcustomer service rep angel cancelled my debit card

In March 2017 I realized I could not get into the bank with my debit card. The saleswoman told me I needed a chip, so she ordered my debit card with a chip. I never received the card (May 2017). I called customer service today (5/6/2017) to tell them about the situation. I explained, telling Angel that I ordered my same debit card but with a chip and asked if it got sent back or where it would be/if someone could use it. He literally said it does not matter and asks if I want it in normal shipping or expedited. Then he is telling me I will get a new number on my card. I said no, no, no I do not want a new number I was just asking about the card and where it might be. This kid thought I was just ordering a new debit card and canceled my card without asking!! It is Saturday and he is telling me the soonest I can get a card is Tuesday and my card is canceled and he cannot do anything about it. How is it hat the employer messes up and then tells me he cannot do anything to fix his mistake. He did not listen to me, he canceled my card with out my permission and now I do not have a debit card, I cannot access my bank account and all my billing payments need to be changed now. I would have NEVER agreed to change my card number. He did not listen to why I was calling and made his own decision. He ruined my whole week and now I need to change all my bills and I do not have access to my account and I am very upset. Not only that but someone has to sign for this new card and I work so now I have to get it at the bank. Nobody told what happened with the original card that was suppose to be sent to me. Angel is either not properly trained or decided not to listen to me, he made a rash decision and did so with out confirming with me. Instead of ACTUALLY LISTENING TO ME he jumped to conclusions and cancelled my card. I NEVER wanted a new card number and I NEVER wanted to cancel my current card and I thought he was just issuing me the same card with the chip again with my current debit card number. He should have repeated to me what he was doing before he actually did it. Now because he didn't do his job correctly, I have to basically change everything as if my card got stolen. It is not fair and the best they could do for me is send me a new card in 4 days to a bank that hopefully will get it on my lunch break. It is not right and there should be a way to reverse his action. He should repeat his training and learn to listen to customers issues before changing anything, he should have confirmed with me before canceling my card.

Citizens Bank — home equity line of credit - pay off error

I was at Citizens Bank, Yonkers Branch on 4/13/2017 to do a closing on my new HE line of credit. This was a...

Citizens Bank — heloc loan

I received the loan and was told only interest was due the first 10 years. I never intended to do that anyway...

Portsmouth

Citizens Bankemployees posting on facebook when at work

Hello I am reporting some issues with Mt Vernon ky 40456 branch employees Kathy Stewart staying on Facebook causing drama while on the job this issue needs addressed I think that if these employees are on the job site they should not be posting on Facebook about drama and relating people personal info from that discussing matters others in a public federal facility I am very angry and have the dates and times she has posted while on the job this needs stopped and I will take this to all media if it doesn't stop citizens employees from all media sites

Citizens Bankcheck issued never received

I was issued a case number but lost it can u plz resend.kimberly Noel email [protected]@gmail.com.its related to lifetime liberty had a check issued to me on behalf of a inmate account .check was issued from citizens bank .was sent to me in cabazon california but was returned because of wrong address.it was certified mail.so now I'm trying to track it down I have the check number.

RESOLVED

I have emailed and employee at the branch in harmony got no response back.i have the number to the check that was issued. in behalf of life time liberty.

Citizens Bankcitizens bank checking account

We opened a Citizens Bank Checking account last year after we saw a $100 promotion flyer. After being with Citizens Bank, we feel so regret having account with this bank for almost a year. Citizens Bank gave us impression that they don't care customer service at all and all they wanted from customer is just charge as much money from customer account as possible.

First of all, their online banking system is a junk system. It will not allow you reset password after you type into all security questions, and they don't offer 7x24 customer support. So you can be caught if you need do something with your money within your account in a urgent situation.

The second, they will charge you $10 every month if you have no activity with your account. The worst thing is they will do everything they can think to charge you the service fee. To avoid service charge, I set up an automatic monthly transition from my other bank to my account in Citizens Bank. However, what they did was refuse my incoming transfer so that they can keep charging me the $10 monthly fee. After multiple months, I discovered this issue, I decided to close my account, and use bill pay function to take the remaining balance out as a payment check. However, after weeks after I deposited my check into my account in another bank, I received a letter from my other bank notifying me that the bill payment check from Citizens Bank was rejected due to account could not be located. How could my account not be located when I still have thousands of dollars of balance still in my account? Citizens Bank charge me $10 more dollars service fee because when I discovered the issue it has already rolled into the next month, plus I was also charged for a return check fee by the other bank.

The third, Citizens Bank's customer service was terrible. When I brought my returned check back to Citizens Bank, they first tried to blame me for the issue, and then blame the online banking system to be the problem, which could be true. However, they offer no resolution or apology to me and simply said they have nothing to do with their online banking system and I had to talk their online customer support. Are they belong to the same Citizens Bank?

My advise is: there are plenty of banks out there that provide good products and good service, stay away from Citizens Bank if you don't want be over charged and don't want have frustration. I believe this bank will not last long unless they change the way they are doing business.

• Updated by GLZ · Apr 07, 2017

Bad online banking system and bad customer service.

Citizens Bankone deposit checking bonus offer

I opened my citizens bank one deposit checking account online with the help of a coupon in December 2016. The offer said I will get a bonus of $150 when I make a direct deposit of $250 or more within 60 days of opening the account. I had the direct deposit set up and everything was fine.

I checked with customer care of citizens bank towards the mid of March 2017. Upon checking my account and direct deposit details the representative asked me to wait for couple of more days as the bonus will be paid within 90 days from the date of direct deposit and not within 90 days of opening of account.

I checked again after couple of days to receive my biggest surprise of the year. I hear a completely different tale now. I was informed that the direct deposit amount required was $500 and not $250 to receive the bonus. I tried to explain my experience with the previous customer care representative who informed me that everything was fine with my account.

Citizens bank is not trustworthy, atleast in my case. They didn't keep the promise they made to me. How do I trust them? This is clear case of fraud and cheating.
            I would inform about this to all my colleagues and friends who are planning to bank with citizens bank.

Citizens Bankdeposits

On March 27, 2017, I made a cash deposit into my account. I could not make the deposit at the Hermitage, PA branch as the ATM there indicated that service was unavailable. I proceeded to a nearby bank with an ATM and made the deposit there. On March 30, 2017, I noticed that I was charged a fee for making the deposit there which was not disclosed. Further, Citizens put a hold on the funds for 6 Business days until April 3, 2017. I could see this being a valid action if it was a check deposit, but it was not. This has been a recurring problem with Citizens. Since the bank has discontinued circle gold checking, fees for everything, and interest rates at 0.01%, I am seriously starting to shop for other banks that provide better services.

Citizens Bankatm's

Why Don't your atm machines warn you of any fee's on screen like most of them when you use them. Like for instance, I used one of your atm's to check my balance only. When I got home to check my account's online, I noticed that there was a $2.00 charge on my account. I know my bank will reimburse
                for the charge, but that is not the point. Had I known of the charged I would have walked away.

Disappointed Consumer.

Citizens Bank — checking account

It is always inconvenient when you deposit a check and theres a hold on your money. Thats why I love that you...

Citizens Bankfraud that was never solved

I had fraud on my account november 2016. It is now about to be march 2017. All the branches from citizens bank lied to me about the fraud has been submitted. So now it has been given to dda and they are saying I have to pay this money back. I refuse to pay back money that was stolen from me while they claimed my account was frozen! Then they said it never was frozen when I have the document in hand stating it would be during the time this is supposed to be handled. Can someone please tell me how I can proceed to get this taken care of because even the recovery center at citizens said I have to pay for what somewhat did to my account. I am absolutely livid.

Citizens Bankoverdraft fees, dishonest, manipulative..

I was enrolled in overdraft protection. On the 6th (of Feb.) I made 2 paypal payments. On the 8th I withdrew $20 at the ATM, then got gas in my car (leaving an available balance of about $70) Then later that day (purposefully in this order) I ordered heating oil, knowing I would get an overdraft fee, but was okay with that because there was a blizzard coming so I wanted to make sure oil was there before I put more money in the bank. I have receipts / documentation of all of these things with the time and dates.
                    When I looked at my bank statement I had 4 overdrafts for the 2 paypal charges on the 6th and ATM, gas on the 8th, listed along with the oil as being charged on the 9th. No overdraft for the oil. Makes no sense and is obviously manipulated to take 4 instead of 1 overdraft. They always say as soon as you use the card it puts a hold and the money becomes unavailable, except for when they can hold off and charge more overdrafts evidently. I have the receipts, time, dates and in what order. They clearly lie. They've just been sued again for violating the tcpa act, got to make up the loss somehow. This bank does not care about their customers at all. They then hit me with a $30 service charge. All of this taken from (clearly labeled) child support money that was deposited. The absolute lowest of the lows. They should be put out of business and sued again for how they're manipulating bank accounts. If there's a lawyer out there that wants to take them on, I'm in, with many other people, I'm sure, just look at their reputation online.
                    I literally do not trust these people with my money now. I feel like everyday I don't know what I'll see when I look at my bank account.

Citizens Bankmortgage application

Citizens bank total team was incompetent. They asked for mountains of information which was provided. The loan officer was new and totally incompetent, the loan processer did not return calls for days. The district manager consistently said she would call back - and didn't. Regional manager never ever returned a call. These people should be put out of business. Never ever use these people.

Citizens Bank — citizens bank will not release my money

hello my name is Theresa stereo owner of AC Roofing we are still having a huge issue with citizens bank they...

Citizens BankI am complaining about how I had a issue with my account and how it was handled

On November 23 I checked my account and it provided me with the wrong balance.i was in a hurry that I didn't have time to make sure it was correct so I made sure everything that was suppose to go thru went thru so I rented a movie and my account for the rest of the week did not provide me with the correct info.so when I was able to find out what was going on i have inquire some overdraft fees.they lady I talk to on the phone discover that my movie rental reimbursed and the hulu charge is what caused it to go over.i explained that on my end it went thru and if I new that my account went in the negative by and dollar I would of hurried and put that dollar in however I was not sure what was the correct balance cause my account kept on giving me different balances.the lady was able to take care of the 35 overdraft fee but she was not able to take care of the 30 dollar fee that I kept getting charged with.so I talk to her supervisor and he just treated me like I don't know how to keep track of my balances.so I went into the bank and the guy there treated me the same way and then he start to check if there was a computer problem and my girlfriend has been having a problem with her account adding up slowly and she told the guy that and he said did u report the problem.and my girl said yes many times however no one is taking it seriously to attempt to fix it. I don't appreciate how we was treated and it should of been handled better.i need a bank I can trust and that don't give me a hassle to fix a issue.im very disappointed and I need a better solution to these fees I was charged with.

Citizens Bankchecking account fees

My husband used my account this month thinking our car insurance had already come out when it had not. So on 11/22 it came out (never comes out on the same day) and over drafted my account by around 40. On 11/23 my check was direct deposited. I called to see if I could have the fee removed and I was told no because I had a fee removal in March. I understand you are entitled to one a year. As you can see from my extensive history of banking with you I generally overdraft my account once a year with the occasional exception. I fail to understand after allowing you to manage my money for 30+ years you cannot make an exception for this situation. Last year I received a small check because your bank had been found guilty of charging illegal fees, yet I still stayed with this bank. There are banks out there that offer grace periods and exceptions so after all this time, if you can help me, I guess I will need to move my business elsewhere. I am very disappointed in the treatment I received today when I called. I have only stayed with this bank out of convenience, but I will go where I can be treated with respect and have an understanding that people make mistakes sometimes.

• Po
                              pobarjenkins Nov 27, 2016

There are many banks that don't allow reversals at all, regardless of history. You were allowed a free overdraft reversal as you are utilizing a specific bank. You have no right to request anything else and this is your error, and your error, alone.

• Ga
                              gatortracks Nov 25, 2016

Yes, sometimes people make mistakes. That's why they give you one free overdraft a year.

Citizens Banksavings account

This bank is ridiculous. They charged me $4.99 because my savings account balance was $ 100.00 for 15 hours. I had withdrawn $400.00 yesterday and transferred it back from my checking this morning. I contacted customer service and they responded with no care in the world. I will now have to take time out of my busy work schedule to withdraw all of my money to close these darn accounts. As it is, my Credit Union has better interest rates for savings ?!?!? Please avoid Citizens bank at all costs as they will nickel and dime you to death if you do not play their games. Their e-mail customer service additionally never works. I have tried to submit a form 11 times already an instead had to wait on hold for 4 1/2 minutes to receive NO customer service. Citizens Bank is a horrible business who does not care about their customers. I should have closed it a couple of months ago when I originally started to withdraw my savings to deposit it into my Credit Union account.

Citizens Bankchecking/savings products