Having problems with Citizens Bank?

Citizens Bank reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Nov 13, 2008. The latest review Unethical Business practices was posted on Sep 10, 2021. The latest complaint concerns with citizens bank security policy and implementation was resolved on Sep 19, 2017. Citizens Bank has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 285 reviews. Citizens Bank has resolved 52 complaints.

Citizens Bank Customer Service Contacts

+1 877 360 2472 (Checking and Savings Accounts)
+1 800 922 9999 (Checking and Savings Accounts)
+1 800 600 0008 (Student Loan Applications)
+1 866 259 3767 (Student Loans)
+1 888 411 0266 (Education Refinance Loan Applications)
+1 866 259 3767 (Education Refinance Loans)
+1 800 340 5626 (Application for a New Home Loan)
+1 800 999 0216 (Existing Home Loan)
+1 888 514 2300 (New Mortgage Applications)
+1 800 234 6002 (Existing Mortgage Customers)
+1 888 333 5145 (Credit Card Applications)
+1 800 684 2222 (Credit Cards)
+1 888 333 0246 (Personal Loan Applications)
+1 866 999 0107 (Personal Loans)
+1 877 670 5200 (Wealth Management)
+1 800 862 6200 (Existing Business Banking Customers)
+1 800 428 7463 (New Customers)
1 Citizens Plz
Providence, Rhode Island

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Citizens Bank Customer Service. Initial Citizens Bank complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Citizens Bank above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Citizens Bank. Discuss the issues you have had with Citizens Bank and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Citizens Bank Complaints & Reviews

Citizens BankUnethical Business practices

I have $3, 787.18 available in my checking account today, 9/10/2021. I cashed a check in the amount of $2, 125.00. The teller gave me the cash because she said that if I merely just deposited the check it would not clear until tomorrow, 9/11/2021.

I attempted to deposit the cash I had in hand into my checking account by way of the ATM at the branch, but the ATM was out of service. So I got back in line and gave the teller $2, 125.00 in cash to put into my checking account.

When I checked my account online the cash deposit was put on hold. I went back to the branch and I was told that there was a hold on the cash deposit. They refused to process the cash deposit transaction and now I do not have the money to cover my bills.

They do not want to give me the money and now I have to deal with late fees' on my bills. They kept finding the entire situation amusing and continued to tell me to have a nice day.

Sep 03, 2021

Citizens Bank — Mortgage

My name is Jacquelyne Caez Contact: [protected]@gmail.com Phone: [protected] I have been working with...

Citizens BankMortgage

We have ben working with John Sogluizzo (john.f.[protected]@citizensbank.com) in your Mortgage Department and Jaime Kennedy (jaime.[protected]@citizensbank.com) in Underwriting. We received a commitment in writing indicating our rate would be 2.625% with 1-3/8 points. We advised John that he had promised us 1/8 point and he promised to get it fixed and has been promising for over 2 weeks. We have emails confirming the rate and points, as well as the commitment letter.Today, with only 2 business days until closing, John sent us an email stating that the "counter offer" was 2.75% and 1/8 point take it or leave it knowing full well that we have no recourse if we want to close next week. Basically the bank did a bait and switch and now has us up against a wall with a gun to our head if we want to close. The property is located at 310 E Atlanta Ave., Wildwood Crest, NJ 08260. Loan # [protected]. My name is David Gershman [protected].

Citizens BankBad customer service

This ridiculous! I have now been queued up for over 52 minutes trying to reach citizens bank customer service by phone. I believe someone to hack my check account and can't even reach anyone by phone to investigate this issue! The error I get when attempting to log on to my account is as follows: you have exceeded the maximum number of allowable password attempts. To reset your password, please click on the "reset password" button below; your password will be reset as part of this process. Now what do I do?

Citizens BankAuto loan

Wife has auto loan with Citizens One Acct [protected] monthly payment $ 305.72

she had serious auto accident on 2/10 and I as her husband have been trying to help manage her accounts. She has had serial late payments on this account, so last month I sent two payments to help deter future late payments.

Seems payments were made from her social security payments [third Wednesday] which did not adequately match payment due dates.

Pleased if you might forgive her late payments and allow double payment last month to help avoid any future late payments.

Thanks Jack DeCerce - husband 7326873063forgive late payments

Citizens BankNot receiving communication from, loan officer info for my mortgage application for de

I filed a complaint 8/11/2021 about the bad service I received from citizens bank pa., loan officer carl williams and have not heard any apology or spoken with anyone concerning my laon application!
          I do not wish to do business with c. Williams, I was told my the de., branch mgr. Justin hade that I would be hearing from the de local branch in regards to my mortgage application! To date I have not heard from anyone and I am ready to close my account with citizens bank, I have attempted to reach out to the ceo but his email is not disclosed. I have made several complaints to citizens bank but to no avail? I do not like citizens bank anymore their customer service is the worst. I will be pursuing this further by filing complaints to which agencies I need to? I just want a de, loan officer to work with!

Citizens BankThe consumer financial protection act

I suffer from major depression my now x husband stole my identity when i was on a lot of medication. I have all my medical records for proof. Citizens bank helped him. My husband plotted for 2 days for 2 of my signatures. There are little x's next to where i had to sign. The bankers signature are different dates when i signed the forms. An assistant manager signed off on legal documents in my husbands handwritting using my social security number, routing number and account number. He was never on my account!!! and never!!! an authorized user. They gave me an early pension and my husband made himself beneficiary. I have a son prior marriage who is on all my life policies i have invasive melanoma. I had to have emergency surgery. I am now 65 and should be collecting my full pension benefit from a job prior marriage. My x husband is still listed as my benenficary to this day because of their policy and the bankers signature on the legal documents. If i had died during this time or tomorrow my pension company will pay the thief of my husband because of this bank breaking the consumer financial protection act. I have made out all the reports and citizens bank is saying they did nothing wrong. This has hurt me financially and has effected my health. They robbed me of my full pension benefit and stole my benefit from my son. If!!! i was going to take an early pension i was suppose to be at the bank and my husband was suppose to sign a spousal consent form giving up his rights to my pension and it was suppose to be notorized. I lost everything because of this bank!!! when i left my husband i had know where to go and had to beg for food stamps when i should be financially stable

• Ly
                Lynn S Sherman Sep 16, 2021

NOT ONLY IS CITIZENS NOT TAKING ANY BLAME! THEY KEEP SAYING IT'S MY FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS FAULT. THE ONE WHO PAYS ME. MY PENSION COMPANY WOULD NOT OF STARTED PAYING ME BECAUSE I HAVE A LETTER STATING THAT SAYING PAPERWORK WAS INCOMPLETE WHEN MY X HUSBAND MAILED EVERYTHING B ACK. MY AUTO DEPOSIT SLIP AND MY BENEFICIARY PAPERWORK. SO SINCE THE ASSISTANT MANGER HAD ALREADY SIGNED OFF 13 DAYS PRIOR. MY X GOT AWAY WITH STEALING ME OF MY FULL PENSION BENEFIT AND STEALING MY FULL PENSION BENEFIT FROM MY SON!! ALL BECAUSE CITIZENS BANK ALLOWED NOW MY X HUSBAND TO WALK INTO THEIR BANK WITH LEGAL DOCUMENTS THAT INVOLVES A BENEFICARY AND A MAJOR MONEY DECISION FILLED OUT IN MY X HUSBANDS HANDWRITING USING ALL MY PERSONAL INFORMATION, SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER, ROUTING NUMBER AND ACCOUNT NUMBER. MY X HUSBAND WAS NEVER!!! EVER!!! AN AUTHORIZED USER!!! IF I HAD DIED DUE TO MY INVASIVE MELANOMA (HAD TO HAVE EMERGENCY SURGERY) OR MY MAJOR DEPRESSION MY PENSION COMPANY WOULD OF PAID MY THIEF OF AN X HUSBAND. CITIZENS BANK HELPED MY X HUSBAND STEAL MY IDENTITY! THEY ARE JUST AS GUILTY!! NOT ONLY DID THEY BREAK BANK LAWS BUT THEY BROKE THEIR OWN POLICY! THEY PAY $285 MILLION ON A STATE OF THE ART HEADQUARTERS AND THEY COULDN'T EVEN PROTECT ME AS A LOYAL CONSUMER. NOT ONCE BUT TWICE.
                APPARENTLY IT WASN'T THE ONLY TIME THEY BROKE THE CONSUMER FINANCIAL ACT. BUT IT WASN'T FOR CREDIT CARD FRAUD. IT WAS FOR ROBBING ME OF EVERYTHING I OWN AND THEY ROBBED MY SON OF MY FUTURE BENEFIT. IF I HAD DIED DUE TO MY MAJOR DEPRESSION OR INVASIVE MELANOMA WHICH I HAD TO HAVE EMERGENCY SURGERY MY PENSION COMPANY WOULD OF PAID THE THIEF BECAUSE OF THIS BANK. WHO WAS NOT OR EVER HAS BEEN AN AUTHORIZED USER TO USE ANY OF MY PERSONAL INFORMATION NOT ONLY BY THE LAW BUT THEIR POLICY!!

Aug 10, 2021

Citizens Bank — Checking account deposit lost to monthly fees

I wish to file a complaint against Citizens Bank for charging monthly inactivity fees to a checking account I...

Aug 09, 2021

Citizens Bank — Construction loan for modular home

We applied to Citizens Bank-Thomas E Coronato, Construction Loan Specialist Home Lending...

Citizens BankI became a victim of a scam on june 10 2021

I was asked to open my Citizens online banking. There i was to supposed to see 159.00 annual antivirus fee returned to my checking. The person was able to deposit 5100.00 dollars. I complained and wanted removed. I was conned into charging Macys Credit cards to off set the deposit. 2 hours later the deposit vanished. The cards were liquidated. Please dispute.

Citizens BankFraud department

Hello!
                I was recently the victim of a scam. I went to the police and filed a report, they are currently investigating. I went to file a claim with the Citizens bank branch that I bank with, and after the person I was working with made one very short call, she then told me there was nothing they could do! I'm very upset about this. When you put your money in the bank, you should have peace of mind that the bank will take proper action to protect your money and help you when there is a problem. I was selling an item, a man offered me a check, I then deposited the check, but then a day later, he asked for a refund, and said he did not want the item I was selling. I refunded him the money. The check then bounced, it overdrafted my account, now I'm suppose to pay back money to the bank. I was scammed! I'm a victim here! The people at citizens treated me like dirt and didn't help me in any way other than show me the door. This person that scammed me is using Zelle. This big corporation that claims to take care of its customers doesn't care that someone is using the banks own app to take advantage and scam customers out of money! I'm appalled that the bank is too lazy and careless to, at the very least, let me file a claim to try and recover some of the funds that I was scammed out of!
                Karrie Ottaviano

Citizens BankMortgage Escrow Reimbursement

My mortgage, # *******539, with Citizens was paid off and on 6/14/21 Citizens issued a check for the escrow balance, but the name on the check incorrectly read Mark Whaley. My name is Mary.

My bank was unable to cash the check and so I contacted customer service to have a new check issued in the correct name. I was told I needed to submit a W-9 form to request a name change, which I did a month ago.

I have called every day this week and after my call, the name change was finally completed. On Monday of this week, and on Tuesday customer service representatives advised that a new check would be cut. With each call, I requested a return call to verify that "the check is in the mail".

I called yesterday and was advised that no check would be issued unless I was able to return the original check. This is the first time this was mentioned to me. Never in the previous calls or the letter containing the W-9 form was this mentioned. I asked to speak with a supervisor today and after a long wait was connected to a supervisor - who hung up on me without giving an address or promise of payment. When I called today, I was promised a returned call with address verification at the very least. This has not happened.

Citizens is a bank . They can easily issue a stop payment on the check. I have had to pay my property taxes using a line of credit as my money is being held unnecessarily. I do not wish to further delay this process another month, unless, of course, interest is paid on the $4, 305.50 which is owed to me. I am not responsible for inconsistent information from Citizen's customer service representatives.

I await your response which should include the date I can anticipate the corrected check in the name of Mary Whaley and Russell Whaley.

Sincerely,

Mary Whaley
                  Mary.K.[protected]@gmail.com

Citizens BankPersonnel at my local branch office in West Roxbury specifically Nick Peterson and the manager Amanda

My name is Douglas Leon and a patron of your bank for a long time. I have always maintained good friendly and sincere relations with the tellers and managers at a few branches I frequent however as if overnight I'm disgusted with my treatment and the personal side of "personal banking" here. This is not the first issue I've had with the same manager at this branch this year.

i am writing this complaint and should not have to. This is an issue where an employee at the bank chose to be uncooperative and helpful yet he will argue his power as a Public Notary would not allow him to cooperate. I called the office which handles complaint for Notaries not to accuse him of wrongdoing but to inquire if he could have certified it for me and the answer was resounding yes. I was hoping they told me he was right to quell my anger and feeling of disrespect but the answer they gave me says he could have done it by my resigning it initialize and date or if he knew me to be genuine or etc. etc. Mr. Peterson chose to deny me which goes against everything I expect from your bank, to add insult to injury when I called Amanda the manager the next day hoping we could work it out she evidently already spoke to him and was absolutely closed minded, didn't let me speak and spoke over me the entire time I had to hang up without having been able to talk. Unproffsional, disrespectful, hurtful. that's all I can say please see the attached letters one i wrote to Amanda and the other addressed to you.

Citizens BankCredit Card

I've been a Citizens Bank loyal member for almost 20 years, never had another bank. I had a credit card issue recently and they've done NOTHING to help me.
                      I told them it was my fault for not knowing the purchase I made that had caused a payment issue. They cut down my credit limit from almost $5, 000 to $250 only. I just asked a simple request, put back my credit limit since I already paid what's due. I spoke with 3 "supervisors" over the phone and instead of working with me their loyal member, they kept saying it's underwriter's decision, not theirs, such a BS!!. I have two other accounts and I'm planning on to close them all soon. I told them straight forward that I know they won't care if I leave since they think have plenty more customers and of course I'm right. Citizens Bank really don't give a [protected]@%t about their customers at all!!! I have wasted years being loyal to this stupid bank!!

Citizens Bankservice

At the Wakefield, westerly and Narragansett locations drive thru is closed and only one teller is on no matter how long the line is. I have had log waits and listened to many people in line complaining. Most customers were saying they are going to switch banks, if this doesn't change I will too .We want a brick and motor bank that is well supplied with tellers and a drive thru

Citizens BankMortgage loan pre approval

I have been working with a loan officer named Brendan Frank and I have been waiting almost two weeks for a pre approval for a mortgage loan. I spoke to his supervisor Jason Ludwick and and it's been several days since I heard from him. To get a pre approval should not take 3 weeks. I feel like this is unprofessional. They have pulled my credit and now I can't even get a simple approval or denied response.

Citizens BankClosing account of deceased mother

My mother passed away on April 22, 2021, and I am executor of the estate. I am trying to close her checking and savings accounts. Customer service tells me that I have to present myself a Branch but I live in Maryland, not close to a Branch. I have talked with 800 customer service including a supervisor and my mother's Branch in Pittsburgh. The 800 number supervisor told me if this were important enough to me I would not have a problem with making a trip. The Pittsburgh Branch transferred to me someone that supposedly could help me, but they transferred me to a call center. When I explained my issue the representative did not know that Maryland was a state. Fortunately the call center sent me to Michael Blank in Barrington, RI. He took it upon himself to find the information and is willing to assist me in closing the accounts. Frankly your bank's customer service is appalling, I would never recommend your bank to anyone, and I am grateful that I am finally closing the accounts.

Jun 22, 2021

Citizens Bank — $200 bonus promised

James Simonson June 22 2021 Citizens Bank Dispute 17306 Puritas Ave. Cleveland, Ohio 44135 [protected]...

Citizens BankChecking account

Hello, my mother (Norma Willig, DOB 4/8/30) has a checking account with Citizen's Bank...She has been in Hospice Care, and I, Daniel Willig, am her POA, caretaker, and along with my older brother, Barry, are listed as authorized check writers to her account...Having to fill out an application with the State of New Hampshire for Medicaid, I was required to get some information from the bank to submit...The first was a 60 month "Lookback", dated from June, 2016 to May, 2021...On Monday, 6/14, I dealt with one of the bankers (Krasi, or something like that), who said it was ordered and that I would receive it in the mail...On Thursday, May 17, I entered the bank again for two reasons...The first was to get my Medicaid application notarized, and the second was to get a current account balance in writing (I call the [protected] number daily to maintain balances, but a written statement is mandatory for the application...To preface, Krasi's behavior was most erratic, as I don't believe she even understood was a notary does (witness something being signed, then signing with a State stamp...She was demanding to see my POA (12 pages written by the lawyer decades ago) which I provided. She then kept saying she didn't see my name anywhere. (both the notary and myself showed her, stipulated that POA goes to Daniel Willig in lieu of Irving Willig (my father, passing away)...My father passed away March 14, 1999 in Philadelphia's Einstein Hospital, and a request for the death certificate was made to Harrisburg, as that is a separated need for my mother's Medicaid Application...Citizen;s Bank need not require a Death Certificate (Krasi did, why I have NO IDEA), as I only requested a Notary to witness the completion of what i was submitting to the State (due date of initial application was 6/20)...I sat there for 20 minites having no idea what this woman was doing, trying to reach her legal department, saying she'd get "fired" if a Death Certificate was shown to her (???)..In distress, I then said I would go to my Town Hall to get the application "notarized", which I did a half an hour later...I then said I would simply request an account balance (I knew at the time it was $7748.52, but again, I need3ed a piece of paper with an amount on it)...Krasi said I COULD NOT receive one, because I "was not on the account"...I then went to the teller and deposited twenty dollars, just so I could get a new, updated balance...As the teller was writing the new amount, Krasi sped up to the teller to say no account balance would be provided (????)...Coming back an hour later, already having a notarization and wanting to show Krasi such, I heard her still on the phone complaining about me...She threatened me with calling 911 if I didn't leave...I had come back with my checkbook with my mother's name, my name, and my brother's name...I was going to withdraw money in an attempt to get an account balance to submit...Upon leaving, I organized my paperwork, and then calmly spoke to two officers sent from Conway PD...They could not believe I could not receive an account balance, but also gave me a one year "stay away" form...I submitted an incomplete application to pay for my mother's medical bills, as I am awaiting my 60 month lookback and an account balance from Citizen;s Bank...4 days later from the incident, my mother has now passed away...Krasi's behavior, demeanor, and compassion to a customer simply requesting necessary information was despicable...My older sister, also a resident in this area, wis familiar with Krasi from a prior home search, and said she had "issues"...I hold two accounts (TD, and Citizen;s), but I could not believe how I was treated, and yes, a did not take that treatment well...My name is Daniel Willig, and my phone number is [protected]...I can furnish my mother's account number SS#, as I need WRITTEN account balance and that lookback, which I do trust has been ordered...Last, this was simply a terrible customer service experience.

Citizens BankMortgage

I was in the covid relief plan for 3 months last year. my hardship ended and I resumed making payments and accepted deferral on 1/13 to move the 3 payments to the end of my mortgage. I was then told that after I make my JAN payment over the phone that I would be able to resume making payments online in FEB. I was then told on 2/12 by Jade, 3/15 by Sharon, 4/13 by Denise, and 5/10 by loss mitigation the same thing, that my loan was still being restored/setup and I would be able to resume online payments "next month"... it is always "next month". I've had enough of the lies