Having problems with Citizens Bank?

+1 877 360 2472 (Checking and Savings Accounts)
+1 800 922 9999 (Checking and Savings Accounts)
+1 800 600 0008 (Student Loan Applications)
+1 866 259 3767 (Student Loans)
+1 888 411 0266 (Education Refinance Loan Applications)
+1 866 259 3767 (Education Refinance Loans)
+1 800 340 5626 (Application for a New Home Loan)
+1 800 999 0216 (Existing Home Loan)
+1 888 514 2300 (New Mortgage Applications)
+1 800 234 6002 (Existing Mortgage Customers)
+1 888 333 5145 (Credit Card Applications)
+1 800 684 2222 (Credit Cards)
+1 888 333 0246 (Personal Loan Applications)
+1 866 999 0107 (Personal Loans)
+1 877 670 5200 (Wealth Management)
+1 800 862 6200 (Existing Business Banking Customers)
+1 800 428 7463 (New Customers)
1 Citizens Plz
Providence, Rhode Island

Complaints & Reviews

Citizens Financial Groupoverdraft fees

I had Citizen's Bank in 2008. I closed the account, due to relocation, and was told by the teller I only had a $1 pending charge (it was for USPS to have my mail forwarded) and that if I left $1 in the account the balance would be zero and the account would close automatically. Sure enough a month later I got statements from Citizen's saying I owed overdraft fees. They accumulated for months. I ended up having to declare bankruptcy (I was unemployed and had other debt). The overdraft fees were taken care of in the bankruptcy filing, but I was also placed on the Chex Systems list, meaning I couldn't open another bank account anywhere. All of this because a teller told me the wrong information, or because Citizens wanted the overdraft fees. Either hire someone who speaks better English or review your overdraft policy. It has been over 5 years and I am off the Chex System, but I refuse to ever use a bank again. I'm currently with a credit union and have been satisfied.

Citizens Bankdeposits

On october second i maid a deposit for 60, and the counter person that i don't now his name but he is a dude, put 30 in the deposit and i dint question it since am not good at math in my head..And now they are saying that his drawer was not over so there is no way i gave him 60 instead of 30...To day october 6 at 1225 to 1245 waiting for the manager that never showed up but was there and they said to me she will call you ### soon as she can...Am not a rich person to dis miss 30 dollars that went an disappear in the air...And the dude is new and there was this other older dude supervising him and he maid a mistake we are all humans . And they don't want to pull the cameras for me to see...How inconvenient

Citizens Bank — corruption, no more big banks!

Citizens Bank is corrupt and takes people's hard earned money. Talk about nickel and diming you to...

Citizens Bankclosed account being charged overdraft fees?

On Friday August 7th, 2015 I was told to pay overdraft fees(228.00) and once the credit for $39 for bounce fees was applied from the citizen's bank supervisor the account would be closed. Well 2 weeks later I checked the account to make sure it was closed and it's not. Instead, Citizen's bank reopened my account just to make it negative again and failed to notify me of these fees or transactions have occurred. I received no correspondence and I have day to day overdraft fees. Someone intentionally left my account open to have me incur further fees. I have tried to speak to several customer service supervisors and reps. After further review of the case and reading of notes mysteriously the supervisors are disconnected after I have been waiting 20-25 minutes to speak with one and then you are thrown back into the same pit of waiting and explaining to someone that can not assist you. Citizens bank is operating ILLEGALLY and they need to be disciplined. Small business owners can not afford this kind of set back. Sincerely Yolonda @ Marian's Thangs

Citizens Bank — overdraft fees fraudently applied

I had a $4 overdraft transaction occur and they charged me $6. I reminded them that they have a $5 Overdraft...

Citizens Bank — the fed ex truck almost drives over me

I was on my way off the bank, walking to go across the street, and the Fed Ex truck drove in fast next to me...

Citizens Bank — humiliated

Hello, here is a brief description of my issue: today, as of Apr.21 I went to CitizensBank's branch in...

Citizens Bank Flood Insurance Policiesflood insurance policies

I have a mortgage with Citizens Bank.
        When I first got the mortgage I was required to maintain flood insurance on the amount of the loan.

Shortly after the big floods in 2010 I was contacted by Citizens and told that now I had to maintain flood insurance for the 'replacement cost of my home' which is much higher then what I owe them on the mortgage amount.

The increase in Flood insurance premiums is now costing me over $1000 dollar more per year and rising.

I don't think it's right for Citizens to change their mortgage contract policies mid stream.

In 2010 my house got flooded real bad. I got over 9.5 ft of water damage meaning I had to completely re do my entire house.
        Everything had to be ripped out from the foundation up. Everything except for the bare walls and roof. All outside siding had to be removed, all electrical, heating, a/c, furnace, domestic hot water system, all hard wood oak floors ripped up and replaced.. everything in the entire house including all appliances and furniture.

At that time I had a $150, 000 dollar policy for flood damage and EVERYTHING in the entire house was replaced without a problem for just $133, 000 so I do not understand why Citizens changed their policy on flood coverage requiring me to maintain a new policy for $250, 000 dollar coverage.

No One from Citizens bank underwriter department will talk to me in person about this situation. It just seems that they do not care what my concerns are and only their own.

Patrick Bonanno
        Warwick, RI

Citizens Bankdid not receive sign up money

Back in March I had received an offer in the mail to open an account and if I made certain transactions by a certain date, I was receive $175.00. Well let me tell you, it is October, my account is still open, I fulfilled the requirements and I am being denied my $175. It has been a long battle, several phone calls and trips to my local branch and I am told that since I was not on the mailing list of customers targeted, I could not get my money. I have moved 3 times since then due to a sick parent and cannot find the letter, so I am being told too bad. I want to add that everyone that I talked to about this, put my concern on the low priority list and I had to force them to follow up. I am disgusted with the service and am closing my account.

RESOLVED

• Citizens Bank's response · Nov 18, 2014

Hi Feesor, I am from Citizens Bank's Office of the Chairman. I am very sorry to hear about your experience, and I would like to learn more to see how we can best help. In order to talk with you regarding your concerns, we need to speak with you one-on-one. Can you please respond with your name and a phone number we can reach you at? (Please do not include any personal information such as social security numbers or account numbers in your email.) Thanks -- we look forward to hearing from you!

• Belleville Oct 14, 2013

I am sorry but you should have kept the letter. These things must be maintained for future use and your own security.

Citizens Bank — bankruptcy reported

My husband has been a loyal Citizens Bank customer for years. 2 years ago he took out a personal line of...

Citizens Bankrefinancing nightmare/fiasco

My husband and I are middle aged citizens and we're trying to refinance our home with my husband working full time and me as a part tine worker were offered by Citizens bank a refinancing option to our current home. Since we maintained accounts with Citizens bank, we trusted their offer and began the loan processing in July, 2012. I've to let the world know that, It was nothing but a nightmare process and now after six months, still they didn't close the loan and we lost the deposit $450.00. Citizens bank's loan dept literally taken us for a ride.

We've submitted all the long list of documents within two weeks of the initial processing. Then started following up...Then 2, 4, 6, 8, 12 weeks passed by...After 4 months they started asking the same documents we've submiited earlier...We're helpless and the worst part about this was, there was no explanation from the Citizens bank side, why it took so long for responding and queries and what they were doing with our files...For them, the customer satisfaction has no value in it.

We did not understand how such a huge mistake could have happened. Almost six months later they started requesting the same documents and other list of verifications again...we kept on requesting them really humbly to stop this processing fiasco and refund our hard earned $450.00. The Citizens bank simply replied NO...We lost our deposit money as well as 4+ months of reduced monthly mortgage payment. The Citizens bank dragged us to this nightmare went with no remorse or apology. It's hard to believe such bank can do to the long standing customers.

If you are considering Refinancing/Financing loan with Citizen Mortgage, our humble request to run away from them and don't ended up a prey like us. Please stay away from them for loan purposes.

• Wh
                Whatabadbank Apr 11, 2013

They are doing the same thing to me right now. Citizens called me told me they could save me some money. I current have my truck, house and home equality loans with them. Everything went real smooth until my refinance went to the under writer. The problem is that when they sent the appraiser to my home they sent the same company that appraised the house 3 years ago when the house needed a roof. I replaced it 3 years ago, the appraiser forgot to remove the comment. So I been trying to contact the roofer for weeks, no success. I hired a general contractor to access the roof he wrote I have 30 years left on the roof. This once again was not good niff for citizens bank because on his company letter head there was no tradesman number . I just feel that like you they are jerking me around trying to steal my 450 dollars. I guess it dose not matter that I am a loyal costumer with already with them. Citizens bank just stinks and are a bunch of crooks

• This exact scenario is being played out with us. They did botch the entire loan process, very arrogant attutudes coming from the upper management down to the loan officer. They will not refund the $525 loan application fee even if I have submitted all documentation asked for in a very timely fashion.
                This is by far, the worst customer service and the worst experience I had with a bank (and I do work for a bank) . I can't believe I was duped to go with them with the loan application, when I clearly had many other choices.
                Stay away from Citizens when applying for a mortgage!!!

madcitizen Feb 26, 2014

I wish I had read this before applying with Citizens. I have been trying for 5 months now to close my construction loan. Every day I get promised soon and I fall for it. They are horrible at communicating with me. My loan officer actually lied to me and told me we have a closing date in December after I pressured him to get it done. The closing date never existed, the loan officer hadn't even submitted all the documents he needed to. The loan was approved on October 11, 2013 it is now February 26, 2014 and still no closing date. Worst experience I ever had!!!

• Of
                Offroad Jan 13, 2015

Your right citizens bank is the worst bank ever. I had an overdraft and they charged me $140.00 .they gouged me good. When I called to complain they were rude and wouldn't help me. I have a credit card, a second mortgage, checking account, two collage savings accounts with citizens.i am now in the process of changing all this over to my credit union.

• Wi
                William Boyne Dec 30, 2015

Our Refinancing application was a similar horrible experience. Started in May of 2015 and went on 7 painful months. After we paid 450$ to have the house assessed we waited and waited for a status on the application. There were countless emails, faxes, and phone calls. Finally, in September we were asked to provide more documentation but it was never enough. It seemed like every other day there was a request for more information, much of which was already sent back in May. We actually reached the point where we received a commitment letter. When we called about a closing date, we were told the underwriters had deferred and needed yet more information ! We then withdrew the application (which apparently they wanted us to do all along). We too are long term customers that have paid thousands of dollars in interest to Citizens and have never missed a payment.
                Why are they doing this ? My theory is age discrimination. We are an older couple and rather than refusing us (which is illegal) they just wore us down with unreasonable requests until we finally gave up.

Citizens Bank — fraudulent overdraft fees

I overdrew my account by $8.66. the same day, I deposited an amount sufficient to cover it. the next day, I...

Citizens Bank RI — foreclosure and funds seizure

My home was in short sale for several months when my husband died instantly in a car accident on 8/31. CBRI...

Wakefield

Citizens Bank - NHstatement printing fee!!!

I walked in the bank to get a bank statement for my dad and to my surprise the banker told us that there is a 7$ fee per monthly statement. I was disgusted with this new fee and voiced my concern but he said there is nothing he can do. This bank is getting worse and worse with all these unethical fees. My whole family use citizens bank but after this event I am stopping all business with them. Their corporate leaders need to learn be socially responsible and stop ripping their loyal customers off.

Citizens Bankneglectful tactics/lax in responses

Long, drawn out story...I applied for a refinance and was told I would be locked in for 90 days (beginning of July), I sent everything requested around July 9 (income, homeowners ins., deed, etc. etc) I got a call from the Underwriter asking about the income change (my hours were cut from 40-32) I wrote him about this the day he called (July 29) and he said he was waiting for a letter from my insurance agent.
                I waited and waited, finally, on August 29, I called again and he said he never got the letter from my insurance agent. I called her and she said she never received any form from him. I e-mailed him and told him this, so, he faxed the form and she filled it out and faxed it right back. He then told me that it "looked good"...he also said not to expect anything to get done at the beginning of the month because they don't give mortgages at the beginning of the month. I waited a few more weeks and e-mailed him and asked what was going on and he was on vacation, so, I e-mailed the first person with whom I spoke. He must have gotten in touch w/the underwriter who then sent me a short e-mail that it looked like I wasn't getting the refi. (due to income change and a loss on last years taxes, ...which they HAD since July 9)
                I told him about the loss and explained that I now have a tenant who moved in on August 1. I then got a quick telephone message from the original gentleman who said "Sorry, you aren't getting the mortgage"...that was it.
                They knew of my income since July 9...on August 29, the underwriter said it looked good. I think they were put out because I questioned them and asked if they were waiting until my 90 days were up so they could up the interest rate.
                I received a copy of the inspector's report and in it he said that my first floor was vacant. He did the inspection on August 1, I told him a lady was moving in that very day, and, he put down the apartment was vacant. It isn't.
                I then got a "reason" for the decline of the refinance stating that my credit report was bad. (My credit is over 800) ...but, due to too many inquiries, it was declined. The original person checked the report at the beginning of July...I was told the second week of September. They hindered me and gave me false info that the application looked good.
                Also, the inspector said the house was worth over $400, 000 and I was asking for $215, 000...the property is located in an area that was never affected by the housing decline. I own a large multiple family, which, modestly could easily sell for over $600, 00 and the investor would gut it out and turn it into 2 or 3 condos with parking in the back and a large roof deck.
                Being that I rented the first floor, I now cannot sell this house and pull such a dirty trick on the person who rented thinking it would be for quite some time.
                The Citizens Bank have not only lost me, but, two people I work with, one was going to refinance w/them and decided not to and the other was going to go for a mortgage and decided not to go there.
                A boss called and told me that they would refund my application fee...what does that tell you? They know I have intentions of seeking advice on their tactics and hopefully having the City of Boston know of them as well.
                So folks, do not trust Citizen's Bank...their pathetic commercials are all false.

• Th
                    The Road Oct 27, 2012

I get paid very little by SSI once a month. A small check went though (my fault) for $50 I wrote about four month ago. I got a $37.00 INSF fee. Then I noticed they charged me a $6.99 fee EVERYDAY that my checking was negative. So basically they are double charging you for INSF fees now. I can not believe they charge a fee EVERDAY, on top of the $37.00 INSF fee. This bank is a scam. When my next social security check goes through direct deposit, they will get most of it because of one $50 mistake I made. Don't bank with these crooks!

Citizens Bank — late posting

I transferred my money 2000.00 from my savings to another account and the transfer said completed. I went to...

Haddon Heights

Citizens Bankbad customer service and sneaky fees

I have been banking with Citizens for a while now, but just in the past year, I had to fight to get my money back from them multiple times. I was unfortunately a victim of debit fraud months ago - somehow my card information had been stolen - and all of my money was spent at a Walmart in Ohio. I called immediately and they were helpful at first. However, my new debit card was sent to the wrong address, and I had to waste a day chasing after my package due to their incompetence. My paperwork regarding the incident (that I had to fill out to get my stolen money back) was also sent to the wrong address and I did not receive them for weeks. Citizens did not credit my funds back until OVER THREE WEEKS LATER! As if that wasn't enough, Citizens charged me $74 in overdraft fees for the unknown charges and refused to refund those fees until after the investigation was complete (I had to call and pester them to refund the fees anyway, because they never did). When I asked a representative how Citizens could help me pay for my life now that all of my money had been stolen, I was told to take out a loan! The bank's policies regarding fraud, the way in which they handled the situation, and the representatives' complete lack of sympathy put unnecessary stress on me while I was already freaking out about my money being stolen. It was a horrible experience, and I knew at that point that I needed to switch banks.

More recently, I was charged over $100 in overdraft fees despite the fact that I am enrolled in a savings overdraft protection program. This program allows for overdrafts to be removed from my savings in the case that my checking has insufficient funds (I'd like to mention that this program costs $30 annually - yes, just to take money out of my savings instead of my checking- and they withdrew this fee from my account at random with no warning whatsoever). When I noticed the huge charge on my account, I called up customer service immediately. I was told that my overdraft protection had "not been set up correctly, " and couldn't help but feel skeptical after being charged sneaky overdraft fees before. Citizens Bank will jump at the chance to charge overdraft fees, and occasionally contrive ways of causing overdrafts to occur on purpose. My mother has had the same problems, and we are both switching to other banks!!

First Citizens Bank — construction loan fiasco

We obtained a construction loan from First Citizens Bank for the building of a home on property we owned in...

Citizens Bank — non-sufficient funds

I'm writing to complain about Citizens Bank, What a fraud! I have opted out of Citizens bank paying any...

Citizens Bank / Checking Account — fees

If you dont have 5000$ total with all accounts put together this bank will charge you 17.50 monthly fee. I...