Chase Bankrefused to accept durable power of attorney

C

The bank manager refused to allow us to utilize a valid durable power of attorney to pay bill on our father’s behalf exposing us to fines, penalties and attorney fees.

• Lo
    Loh Phat Dec 11, 2020

Stop using the large banks, they are NOT looking out for your best interests. Find a local credit union instead. I travel internationally and have no problems using my CU bank cards (issued by VISA) overseas.

I had a CA durable PoA and when my then 95 year old grand-aunt fell I stepped in.

ALL large banks ignore PoA forms unless they're THEIR PoA forms. It's in the tiny print the account holder agreed to when they opened their account.

Too BIG to fail, too BIG to jail.

They don't care -- you don't have the resources to fight them.

STOP USING THEM.

• We just experience the same problem with Chase in Abilene, Tx. Our adult son was suffered an injury in an industrial explosion resulting in a TBI. He was in a coma for almost 3 weeks. Doctors say it is a miracle that he is a live. He is communicating and making a recovery - facing replacement of bone flap and certainly unable to leave the hospital. He authorized a legal POA and it is on file in Tom Green County. He does have a bank account his earnings were deposited to a prepaid card. When he begin receiving workmen's compensation checks they were issued of JP Chase Morgan. We have a personal account at Chase.. For 3 weeks I took my POA into the bank and cashed the checks and deposited the funds into our account to pay my son's rent, utilities, truck payment - etc. Yesterday although all previous checks cleared no problem, the manager said that it was NOT there policy to cash these checks and the POA would have to be sent to there legal department before any additional checks would be cashed. My son rent and car payment is due.

• Do
    DO1983 May 16, 2012

I feel for you. My wife and I work overseas and my sister is my POA. She went to the local Chase Bank to update her mailing address. When she talked to an employee, there were no records of her being our POA. She told the employee my wife and I filed a POA form with WAMU and assumed Chase would have some records. After threats about court and endless phone calls to higher management, a miracle occurred. The Bank had records of proof, my sister was a POA. When my wife and I return home for a Sabbatical we are going to close our savings and checking accounts. I am not feeling warm and fuzzy abot Chase's fees as well.