Complaints & Reviews

incompetence or fraud?

I leased a vehicle through Chase Auto Finance. At the end of the lease an employee of mine purchase the car from chase. She returned the plates and I never thought about it again. Several months later I received a bill for 270 dollars on taxes that Chase had paid to the city for taxes. I contacted the city and they informed me all I needed was the plate receipt for a full refund. I gave the city the receipt and tried man many times to fax it to chase. I would get one person who said they received it then 3 or 4 days later someone else would contact me for the money. I would explain that the city refunded the money and again try to fax them the receipt. This went on for two or three months. Same every time. I tried to contact a supervisor and came up with no results. I got a receipt from the city that the taxes had been refunded to Chase in full. I tried to contact chase and they told me that they had referred this to collections and they could not speak to me regarding this. hen collection companies started calling. i would fax them the receipts and within a few days new collection companies started calling and over and over. I now have dealt with no less then 9 or 10 collection companies who leave around 6 to 8 messages a day on my phone. They all tell me to stop them from calling I must fax them all the things I faxed Chase now over 15 months ago. Then new collection companies keep calling me. Chase says they can not help me. I am at the point were I have contacted the attorney generals office since Chase is clearly committing wire fraud trying to collect money they are not owed and to be hones I have received no help from them either.

My advice concerning this company is Never ever do business with them. My perfect credit has over 9 collections on it. I have committed hundreds and hundreds of hours to clearing this and I seem to be stuck in the abyss. Dont let this happen to you.

don't bank with chase!

I opened a Chase Credit account. I responded to an offer on tv made my Time/Life for a worship CD. I made it clear to the person on the phone that I DID NOT want to sign up for an ongoing, monthly CD club and if this is what that was please disregard the entire call. I was assured I could order just the one CD without ever hearing from them again. HA!! This started my bad experience with Chase. The following month a charge for $24.98 showed up on my credit card from Time Life. I immediately knew what happened and called Chase Customer Service and explained. I was told they would mark that charge 'in dispute' and to call Time Life and have them credit it back, which I did. I then paid off the remaining balance and closed the credit card in July 05.

In Sept. 05, I received a check from Chase for $24.98 which I chased. Then it shows up on my credit report that I have an outstanding balance with Chase for $24.98. When I called and asked to speak to the top CSR I was told that they had double credited me and sent me a check. She did apologize for allowing it to show up on my credit report as an outstanding debt and I asked her to send me a letter stating that and apologizing to which she agreed. I have never received the letter and they are still hounding me to pay them the $24.98. I will be more than happy to reimburse them and I told them so, as soon as I receive a letter of apology and they take it off my credit report. Every other CSR I have spoken with about this issue has acted like it's just too bad but I owe it and they don't owe me any apology and they aren't going to show my account at a zero balance until I pay it. I'm thinking when Hell freezes over. DON'T BANK WITH CHASE!

• Cr
    Crier Dec 07, 2008

Amazing how that attitude still prevails! They act like they have done you a favor by answering the phone so do not expect anything resembing assistance after that point.

Please read on and be warned...

HOW CHASE BANK AND COLUMBIA HOUSE STOLE CHRISTMAS

On August 8, 2008 I purchased some DVDs from Columbia House, the order came to $35.84. The order was shipped missing an item after many emails and phone calls to them I finally got my remaining item but they charged me an additional three times for that one item. After another round of calls and emails I finally chalked it up to a bad experience that I would learn a lesson from.

On October 11.2008 I logged into my checking account to find that I had two pending charges of $99.76 from Columbia House! I immediately called Chase Bank’s toll free number where I spoke to a wonderful supervisor Pat, whom advised that as they were still pending she had been able to reverse them. As a caution she advised that they could submit again as long as they had my card number and provided me the number to the Chase Claims Department.

Immediately I began trying to contact Columbia House via their email process on their website - to this day they have NEVER responded to the dozens of emails that I have sent regarding this issue. Calls are answered by someone not qualified to handle the matter, so a supervisor will need to return your call and that NEVER happens either.

I tried to remove my card information from their site, which the site does not allow you to do! You also can not remove the check mark in the box allowing them to use that information for any future shipments and charges! In frustration I changed the billing information on the card to Big Bird, 123 Sesame Street, New York NY 10001

On October 14, 2008 they again debited my checking account for $99.76 which resulted in CHASE Bank charging me $75.00 and $32.00 for insufficient funds fees.

I contacted CHASE Bank filed a claim and closed that debit card (as they would not file the claim other wise). I provided them with screen shots showing no purchases, no shipments, no pending orders since the August fiasco and was advised by Angel that CHASE Bank would be crediting back the charge and any related insufficient funds fees.

Initially they did credit back the $99.76 and the $75.00 for insufficient funds. CHASE refused to credit the $32.00 as Donnell advised me because a previous request had been made (the $75.00) within a 12-month period.

On November 20, 2008 CHASE bank reversed themselves and took the $99.76 and the $75.00 from my checking account. I contacted CHASE Claims Department on 11.21.2008 and was advised by Judy that she would re-open the claim and I would receive that information shortly. Several hours later there was still no information received. Again I contacted CHASE claims where upon Andre advised me that I would need to speak with a supervisor whom was currently on another call and would need to call me back.

To date there has been no communication from Judy or Andre’s supervisor, maybe CHASE has Columbia House train the employees in their Claims Department!

Thanks to Grinches at COLUMBIA HOUSE and CHASE BANK there will be no Christmas in our household this year. The theft of over $200.00 from my account by these two supposedly reputable companies has ended any possibility of a celebration of any kind in my household

BE WARNED AND TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ANYWHERE ELSE

• La
    Latisha Randall Apr 29, 2009

Dear chase bank my name is Latisha Randall and I dont want an acount with chase bank I would like it very much if the bank would understand because I dont want that account with this bank anymore and I would appreciate that very much that noone would try and make me to get an account with chase banc I dont want an account and Idont need to pay to get an account with chase bank so please understand that thank you so very much

• La
    Latisha Randall Apr 29, 2009

I latisha Randall would like it veyr much if you would please cancel my account ok thank so very much
    I dont wish to have an account with chase bank at this time

these people are mean!

Chase Card Member Services
PO BOX 15548
Wilmington, DE [protected]
[protected] (Customer Service)

CONSUMER BEWARE: When you get E-mails from Chase, they have the appearance of mortgage refinance advertisement, not like some of the other card companies that make you clearly aware that you are getting a billing statement. If you sign up to get a bill online, they stop your mailed bill altogether without making this clear to the card holder. Unlike my other credit cards, when I signed up for an online bill, I still got my mailed bill, not with Chase. I called Chase a couple of weeks ago to check the rates to see what card I should use on a purchase, this is when they informed me I was 55 days late. I was shocked. They told me to go to the website and make a payment as soon as possible. By this time, I was quite upset, because my credit rating is one of the most important things to me. I went to the website, registered. Making the payment was confusing, it had the appearance that I was making the minimum amount for the total owned now, but when I pushed the button to make a payment, it took a payment from my checking account for the entire card balance. I had to do a stop payment through my bank. By the time that all got turned around I ended up being 60 days late. Chase would not under any circumstances, reverse any of the fees or help me in anyway whatsoever. I even ended up paying the card off in full after the stop payment went through. They still did not care. I have now closed this card completely. I still have one business Chase card to go, which I plan to eliminate as soon as possible. Having the two Chase credit cards is what made the second get overlooked. This could happen to anyone really. After starting with a 0% balance transfer, no fees, on $6000, they ended up charging my $600 in late fees, finance charges, or whatever they call it. I only had this "new" card for 10 months, the most expensive card I have ever used. My other credit card companies have warned me (when a payment fell between the seats in the car), gave me a friendly call or email or something before I had a 30 DAY LATE on my credit report, let alone a 60 day late, which is what I shamefully carry today on my credit report. These people are mean! No forgiveness at all. Hope this can help another nice, law abiding citizen trying to make it in life.

horrible customer service!

After reading other Chase Credit Card complaints, I am glad I'm not alone, but at the same time...

scummy business practices

I am complaining about the “new” BP Card that I was coerced / mislead into getting which replaced the traditional gas card. The new card is a Credit Card full of fees.

After 1 late pmt (over Xmas) when mail was late, they reported us to the credit bureaus.

This is scummy business practices and we are considering cancelling after patronizing BP for more than 20 years.

• Ar
    Arnold Barr May 17, 2007

I used a BP/Amoco gas credit card since 2000 with no problems whatsoever. I paid electronically through mycheckfree and never suffered a late fee or finance charge. My gas purchases were substantial (to me) every month.

Enter Chase! Mycheckfree is cancelled, getting payment made online is a major hassle in comparison, all of a sudden I am assessed a late fee on a membership charge I cannot remember ever receiving, and now a $2.00 finance charge on a balance I paid in full earlier this month. I have cancelled my "new" card - I never got that either - and destroyed my old card. My credit rating has been excellent for many years. I do not want to jeopardize my good credit with this card I consider to be predatory in the extreme.

• Ge
    George Jones Nov 01, 2007

I was charged a $15.00 late fee this past bill. I always pay my bill electronically on the first few days of the month. I called Chase and they said that was just the way it was. I NEVER pay any bills late. After this treatment I canceled the card and will never do business with BP or Chase again.

It is a shame companies like this are allowed to stay in business.

• Tr
    Trey Benton Feb 04, 2008

DITTO. I closed my account and paid the balance in full to a person who was clearly in another country. She entered my bank account info wrong after repeating it to her numerous times. As a result (thinking my account was closed and after receiving NO notices) I see that they dinged my credit report. I called and they said that they show me having a balance of $107.19 which was all late fees and finance charges for an under payment of $5.00. They would not remove the late fees. And did not care if they lost an 8 year customer.

Is this or is it not just a very clear picture of the society we live in today? You try to do the right thing, pay your bills on time... and creeps like this are allowed to stay in business and conduct business like this.

• Ba
    Barbara May 06, 2008

Amoco/BP cards are the worst. We had one for 28 years, opened when it was standard/amoco oil company. Even though your account is paid in full, current and never late, you can expect your card to be declined at the pump for no valid reason. Exuses are rampant when you call customer service later to report the difficulty. We tired of the problem with them and their very rude attitude and cancelled the card. I opened a Citgo account and have a far better experience with them.

Why would anyone continue to put up with such a rude disrespectful company such as Amoco BP when there are better alernatives? With the price they charge for fuel, customers deserve better. Send them a message and take your business elsewhere.

• Be
    Beverly Payne May 16, 2008

CHASE / BP IS THE WORST!!!

When Chase BP bought out my credit card account from BP Oil the account had not been used in over two years. They then issued a card to an old address of mine. The Chase Card was never received nor was the account activated.

Forward several years later and one charge appears on the account in the amount of 26.00 and because of the old address it starts adding late fees to the tune of 147.55. The charge on the account is in total error and fraud. First I learn of it is a call from the collection agency and of course it's on every one of my credit reports ruining a perfect credit record.

Funny thing is the collection agency easily got my correct address from my credit report. I have several other accounts with Chase with my correct address. Those accounts are all in good standing. Chase could of easily gotten a hold of me and given me the opportunity to contest the charge in a timely manner.

I called Chase and they refuse to talk to me because it's gone to collections. My credit is being held hostage.

Don't do business with them...it will ruin your credit and from reading the above posts...I'd run fast as I can.

• Mi
    Michael Killebrew Sep 09, 2008

Well to begin with - they lied. They never paid me the 10% promotion on gas that was promised - just 5 %.
    Then they gave me an unreasonably low balance. After about 10 phone calls some decision maker gave me a balance increase. It still was not enough as I run it up and PAY IN FULL each and every month. My debt to income ratio is low and have a very good credit score...it makes no sense.
    So, I have decided to cancel it - good riddance.

• Rd
    R De Lany Jun 01, 2009

BP AMOCO sucks, late fee assessed even though payment made on their website day it was due. Posted the next day (Could have had it posted the same day for $40+ fee) $29 late fee assessed. I am not paying it nor ever buying thier gas, costing them far more than $29 just in bad word of mouth comments. Rotten company to deal with, rude agents, etc.

• Ha
    HATE BP Jun 25, 2009

after a couple of years, I've decided to do something about this bill -- which is RUINING my credit.

I had a BP card for my 2 kids in college for several years... I didn't like the fact that if the limit had been reached, they still let them charge gas... but other than that -- no real problems...
    paid through CHECKFREE every month, automatically.

Then, in 2006, Checkfree was cancelled and I had to go to the site to pay...
    One problem after another -- couldn't get into the site, my account, whatever...

Then, i would CALL -- and they would tell me to go to the site -- it was a vicious and ludicrous cycle of ineptitude and frustration.

They had not properly posted 3 of my most recent payments. I asked for itemized statements over and over -- even sending evidence from my bank account that I had made the payments... NOTHING>>>>>

when I wrote them and told them I would not pay until they proved the amount -- under the Fair Credit Billing Act, they wrote me a letter telling me that I was just trying to get out of paying my bill and weren't going to send me anything!!!

So, by law, they had not done what they were supposed to -- BUT THEY ARE STILL POSTING THE BILL ON MY CREDIT ACCOUNT...

Now that I am out of school, I am going to research the law and file a complaint...

Any help?

• Bl
    bluebell Aug 06, 2009

BP chase cancelled my card and then refused to pay me the $25 rebate i had earned I had a $42 bal had never been late even paid them the $170 bal on the account immediately (wish I hadn`t) when I talked to a ha ha supervisor I got well its company policy bull its out right larceny its my money or at the very least bps and chase is keeping it

dishonest business practices!

Division of Chase Manhattan Represent themselves as being Headquartered in Phoenix Arizona. Business Type -...

illegal billing and overdraft fees!

Today, because of activity on my account, the four transactions overdrew my checking account by $30.00. Chase...

resolving issues with chase manhattan bank

I also suffered problems with Chase regarding unwarranted interest hikes, insufficient explanations, and unhelpful representatives. However, by contacting the Better Business Bureau, I was able to achieve favorable resolutions with Chase. Complaints can be filed on BBB's website and the forms allow for detailed information regarding the specific complaint. In the future, I will no longer do business with Chase and I urge others to stay away from them as well.

• Jc
    jcmansu Feb 03, 2007

I agree with you completely. We canceled our Chase card after they hike our interest rate of 19 % to 29% with no warning. They were over charging us on interest for a transfer which lowered the rate for 60 days. So they had to refund us $264.00, NOW GET THIS, they have charged me interest on the money they over charged me and had to refund me.

STAY AWAY FROM CHASE THEY ARE CROOKED AND I STRONGLY BELIEVE APPLY FRAUDULENT CHARGES TO YOUR ACCOUNT.

• Ei
    Eileen T Aug 01, 2007

I have had a Chase account for 13 years. The customer service seemed to be courteous and reasonable in the earlier years. They have made so many changes lately and it is always for the worst. They treat their customers like dirt.

I have always maintained a $3,000 minimum. In the last year I believe they tricked the customers. They said that checking accounts are now free with no minimum. (I still have an account plus IRA). Now when ever there is a slight problem with the account I am hit with an extremely high fee of $35.00. They paid a check for me with uncollected funds in which the difference was 6 cents. In the past, they would permit me to go over a few pennies. When I explained that $35 was an unreasonable penalty for 6 cents they could not help me. The next day when all of my funds were available I was $35 below which caused more fees on small purchases that I made at convenience stores. So I got a few more fees of $35 each for transactions of $1.00 each. No help from customer service, no satisfaction.

If I keep my money at Chase, they will make more money from me from the unfair fees that they hit me with. They are slow to release your funds, but quick to take the money out. It seems like there is always some problem or change that I am not aware of . At this rate, it is hard to maintain the modest savings that I already have with them. They will of course tell you that checking is "free" and there is no minimum balance. However, by the time they hit you with fees, you cannot even pay your rent!!

• Pa
    patsy galvan Aug 19, 2007

I too have been harassed by CHASE BANK. If I am late on one (1) payment, they start calling me 4 to 6 times a day. I have my answer phone on. What they do is call, then let it ring until my answer5 machine comes on then hang up. They end up placing one (1) message a day on my phone, so that it looks like they only call me once a day. Pretty clever of them, but I have seen how many times they call me. In the very beginning, I was making a $78.00 a month payment, which they said was what I needed to pay. Least be knowns to me, they were tacking on the interest. Then, when I was over the limit, they tacked on even more. I tried to pay so that I could get caught up. I got a letter from them telling me they were canceling my credit card. When I called them they said I was over the limit. I told them I had been paying what they had told me. They told me if I had a problem with it, to file a complaint. I did. I never heard anything. SO, here I am trying to pay them.

• Mi
    Miss Stasha May 07, 2009

educate yourself and don't be a victim of this horrible company

dishonest mortgage foreclosure

Due to both of us losing our job at the same time, we were forced to file bankruptcy in 2005. Thanks to...

chase keeps insisting that I owe them this money, and I do not

The Business is Chase Manhattan, The Chase Home Finance Department that holds the Mortgage to my Home, It all...

ruining my credit

In July 2005 Chase claimed I was 30days late on my payment increasing my interest rate to 27%, my bank...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices