Alamo Rent A Car - Locautocar rental and insurance policy

T Aug 04, 2018 Review updated:

I searched or a hire car in Europe for a family holiday.
we requested a vehicle between the 11th and 29th August 2018 and requested insurance.
We selected a Mid-size standard class wagon and included an Insurance package which included
> VAT
> Liability Insurance
> Collision Damage Waiver
> Theft Protection with excess

We subsequently also took out "Excess Protection" which was a further fee of 178.20 on top o the standard (Rental with Insurance package).
On collection of the vehicle in Rome, I was approached by Locauto (Alamo agents in Rome), whether I wanted insurance cover which I indicated that we had already taken out insurance directly with Alamo and showed them the printout. I did not believe additional insurance through Locauto was necessary knowing I had the insurance package and Excess Protection cover through Alamo. After showing them the booking information, they subsequently informed me that I did not have Breakdown Insurance which I subsequently took out a further policy or road side assistance.

Upon me returning the vehicle back to Locauto, I noted that the rear bumper was slightly damaged as a result of someone bumping in to the rear of the vehicle whilst we were parked. (No accident or driver identified was reported at the time - hey drove off.

I was informed by Locauto that I had to pay the cost of repairs to the bumper and that the Excess Protection was only applicable in the event that the damage exceeded approx. Eur 3000 and that the vehicle did not have insurance as I did not take separate Insurance with Locauto.
I am now being asked to pay Eur 770 for repairs to the bumper plus a handling fee of Eur 70.00 which I am refusing to pay.

I have been trying to reach out to someone at Alamo but unable to reach them in order to confirm the insurance was applicable.
I have printed the T&C's and it clearly indicated " Collision Damage Waiver will waive your liability to pay for any damage caused to the vehicle during the period of rental".

I have attached the booking confirmation from Alamo and their T&C's printed from their website.

Furthermore, I picked up the vehicle at 08:24hrs on the 11th Aug for 18 days. I was technically supposed to return the vehicle by 08:24hrs on the 29th.
The daily rental through Alamo was approx. EUR 40 per day .

I exceeded the return time by 8 hrs and am more than happy to pay for an additional days hire at the prorata rate. Locauto are wanting to charge Eur 145.00 for the extra days rental (+ 300% premium).

Not sure where to go to from here. I am reusing them to deduct the damages due to the insurance and will conceded the daily rental which was never disclosed tome by Alamo.

Thanks Ted Del Borrello (E; [protected]@antrak.com.au)

•   Sep 20, 2018

Ted Del Borrello,
    We’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to [protected]@mailca.custhelp.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us.
    We look forward to hearing from you.
    Regards,