Complaints & Reviews

Resolved apliance repair

My name is David Doyer we had purchased the appliances repair program. Sears has been out to our house over...

Resolved noise

I bought today a zero turn rider model 247.28933 . i drove 4 hrs to get it . the lawn mower make 2 noises 1...

Resolved unauthorized charge on my credit card

I live in boca raton, florida. i telephoned your boca store and your hialeah store. Nobody could help me. A...

Resolved dishwasher

I went into the Sears store located in Lynchburg, VA to look into purchasing a dishwasher. I found the one I liked the best and talked to one of the sales guys that was working and he was really helpful and told me a lot about it. So that evening on March 13th I went on Sears.com to purchase the dishwasher. In about a week the dishwasher was delivered to my house. I called and scheduled an installer through Sears and when he came he could not complete the installation because the model dishwasher that I purchased was not made to fit in my kitchen set up. I was not aware of this Issue when purchasing this dishwasher, seems like the sales man would have mentioned this since only two models are made this way – Samsung and Bosh. He told me all I had to do was find a different dishwasher that was made with an open bottom and let Sears know which one I would like and they would order it and install it free of charge.
I went back to the store, the manager was really rude and told me that he could not handle anything at the store and I had to call Sears.com. The store manager kept telling me that the installer didn’t know what they were talking about and that he had to pay “his” employees to do another install.
I called the 1-800 number several times and finally placed another order and I thought all was fine. I was told that I was making a “swap”. I called a few days after to check the status and there was no record of the order, it just never happened.
My fiancé spent a whole morning (4hours) on the phone with Sears.com being transferred and hung up on. Someone would tell him to hold on and he would be connected to someone that had no clue what they were talking about and didn’t know the issue we were having.
Finally Trevor spoke with a manager in Lynchburg and she said that everything was straightened out and I would have a new dishwasher soon. Also she said that the extra charge would be taken off soon as the Samsung (wrong dishwasher) was returned.
Over the next month I received 3 different calls from the delivery department wanting to schedule a delivery and the second and third person said that they had no record about the first person calling. This went on and on for weeks. Finally I was told I would get my dishwasher at the end of April. I got a call from someone at Sears.com telling me that it was inconvenient for my installer to pick up my dishwasher in Ohio, well I guess so I am in Virginia. It was supposed to be delivered here in Lynchburg, VA, I told her, and she said she would fix it but it would take longer to arrive. Well duh!
A week later I get an email that says that my dishwasher is ready to be picked up in Indiana! I don’t know how it made it there!
After being so frustrated I posed some things of Facebook. No one would talk to me. Store managers would not return our calls, there was no one that would help I was stuck. Finally I was put in touch with Dee with Sears Media Department. She looked into everything and was the one to finally get the dishwasher to Lynchburg and it was finally installed in May.
Now I am trying to get a $450.00 charge off my credit card from the Samsung Dishwasher that was returned to Sears and after weeks of phone calls Dee finally tells me that there is no record of me paying that $450 and that it was done as a “swap”. My credit card statements have the charge!
It seems like the only way I get a phone call is when I post something negative on Facebook. I am still out of $450 and no one will give me my money back! I have spent hours on the phone and get nowhere.

• Sr
    srchng4care May 19, 2011

brenda thats stupid the sales guy could of asked her or talked to her about or something especially if she said there are only 2 made that way she may have "needed" to know that but the guy on the phone could of mentioned as well..

• Sr
    srchng4care May 21, 2011

well whatever the post was boring anyway and will you stop calling me irish where did that come from anyway?

Resolved assenbled gas grill fell out of my truck on the way home

This is the E-mail I sent to the Complaints board about the grill I bought from Sears and what happened, when...

Resolved poor customer service!!!

I bought a 50 inch TV 3 months ago. The TV was a reconditioned TV. The sales person assured me that it would be as good as new due to the fact that it has new parts. about a month after we broght the TV home we started to notice little lines on the screen, now there are more lines and VERY noticable. We took the TV back to Sears. The return department took the TV and gave me a slip, stating that I had to take the slip to electronics and I could either get a return or a replacement.
I gave the salesperson who sold us the TV the slip. He kind of looked at it and told us that we could NOT have a replacement or refund. I explained that the return department accepted the TV and gave me the slip and that I did not want my money back just a TV that worked right. I was told that the return department did not know what they were doing, and there was nothing that could be done to help me. I asked to speak to his supervisor.He walked away to get her.

The salesperson and Store director stood talking to each other in plain view for about 10 min. before she walked over to me.
Zandra was VERY RUDE! She did not even want to listen to ANYTHING I had to say. She told me that there was nothing they could do at the store to help me. Then threatened to have mall security escort me out. I asked for her supervisors phone number, which she did not give me but an 800 number.
I had to go back to returns and get the TV .I drove an hour for this!
If I had wanted to buy junk I would have gone to the swap meet! I thought SEARS would have a little better quality merchendise.
I work in a grocery store and that is one of the MOST important duties that I have. Providing good Customer Service is NOT an option! but a MUST. If it weren't for the customers I would not have a job. Even if there was nothing that ZANDRA could have done, she could have offered to help me by setting up an appointment time to fix the TV.
I think SEARS need to retrain there store directors and maybe teach them some manners to. I for one will NEVER buy any high dollar items there again, to bad for SEARS because I am remodeling and am in need of a refridgerator, more TV's, stove, and washer and dryer. :p

• Sears's response · May 19, 2011

To Our Valued Sears Customer,
    I found this post and I wanted to reach out and apologize for this situation with your television. Our return policy at Sears does allow 30 days for the return of electronic items and if there is a problem thereafter, we honor the manufacturers’ warranty on all the products we sell. This means that if your TV is covered by a manufacturer’s warranty then under the terms of that warranty we will repair the unit. This is not an excuse for the service you received, merely an explanation and we would like to assist in resolving this matter.
    My name is Laura with the Sears Cares Escalations team and we are a single point of contact for escalated concerns. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at [email protected] so you don’t have to continue to be frustrated by this. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the TV was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (NEVER SHOPPING @ SEARS AGAIN) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.
    Laura D.

Resolved order #e960004

Order battery Order #960004 Part # 424010 on 5/11/2010. Wanted to cancel 30 minutes later and was told I could not cancel. the computer wouldn't not allow. I was told to call back after receiving the package to obtain and
Return Authoriation. Called 5/16/2010 to obtain Return authorization and we were given the address
for returning but no authorization number. Called again the same day and we were told a Return authorization would be emailed to us within 30 minutes. DID NOT RECEIVE! Called again on 5/17/2010 and we were told it would take, at least, 24 hours to receive a Return Authorization by email. STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED. We were also told it would cost us $5.93 for return postage BECAUSE YOU COULD NOT CANCEL 30 MINUTES AFTER PLACING THE ORDER.
This is 5/18/2010 and we still do not have a RETURN AUTHORIZATION. We spoke to Maddi, Lanita, Kelsey, then Colandra except when we tried to call the same person, no one knew them. We just purchased today a new Garage Door Opener and would have purchsed again from Sears but after this CUSTOMER SERVICE. I DO NOT INTEND TO PURCHASE FROM THEM AGAIN. ADDITIONAL INFO. ON PKG. [protected] 12 DEPT. 98 DIV. 098 SUB DIV. 071 STORE NO. 7701 ORDER NUMBER E960004 CUST ORDER. CAUDI

racial profiling

my name is Milos Trtilek and Im customer of Sears for last 30 years.At the Sears stores I always got very...

Resolved quit working

I bought a hammer drill for aprox. $70 on aug. 28.2010. The variable speed in the trigger is not working, It's all on forward, or all on reverse. No in between.
When I tried to exchange it they told me my 90 days were up. Well if Sears only has 90 days on tools, ...good bye Sears. I may as well shop else where.
I know I won't be back unless they do right by me. I only used that drill maybe 6 times. To drill a wood hole... not concrete or as a hammer drill as yet. Geeesh
Already it's junk. As an electrician, if i did my job as many "service" people do theirs...I'd have killed someone. This sure is a sorry state of affairs for a Viet Nam vet and a retired fortune 500 company employee to have to endure in America. I'm pissed.

• Sears's response · May 18, 2011

To journeyman,

I do understand the frustration of buying a product and it failing so soon. The fact that you posted here makes me think that we could have at least offered you better customer service and for that I apologize. My name is James and I am part of the Social Media Support Escalations team at Sears and we would like to help. At your convenience, please contact our office at [email protected] Please send us an email providing a contact phone number and the phone number the hammer drill was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email please provide the screen name (journeyman) for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

James H.

journeyman May 17, 2011

Since I HAD to give ALL MY info just to have my voice heard, ...YOU better not harass me or you don't know who your dealing with!!!
    Just send me a NEW drill !!!

• Jk
    JKDE May 17, 2011

Sears power tools only have a 90 day warranty. You can buy a replacement speed trigger assembly from Sears parts and replace it yourself or pay Sears service to repair it for you.

Chippy55 Jul 14, 2011

I also have a Sears Hammer Drill that I bought maybe 6 years ago, and I have drilled exactly 3 holes in cement, with the first one requiring me to purchase a real long masonry bit, and an extension from Sears. The 90 day warranty is absurd, the drill looks like it's brand new, has about a total of 20 minutes use, and it just quit working. I mean, I could understand if it was being constantly used every day, nothing lasts forever. I'm going to go plead my case to Sears, and hopefully they'll look at the condition, and give me a price discount on a new one, if not, bye bye Sears.

Resolved unsatisfied and used employee

I am a employee at sears who recently got hired ... Let me tell you a little bit about this unorganized...

Resolved the worst customer service in my life

I had purchaced a pair of earrings for my mom for mothers day. And after I gave them to her she noticed the...

Resolved chat associate lied in placing order

I was ordering 4 mattresses online from sears when a chat associate popped up and asked if I needed assistance. I proceeded to ask questions and place my order through him. He gave me the price with tax and delivery. I asked if that was the final price. He said yes, it was the total charge and I gave my credit card info to him (Stan) through the chat window. I had never done this before and will never again. When my confirmation email came, the price was $30 higher than he told me. I called to ask why and what happened and was told that he has misinformed me. How is this possible? Can a company just decide to charge a different price after you have agreed and given out your credit card info? I would advise people to stay away from SEARS. I know I will.

• Sears's response · May 11, 2011

To altoona,
    I saw your comment here and I wanted to reach out and apologize on behalf of Sears for the difficulties that have occurred with your online purchase. I can certainly see how frustrating it has been trying to clear up this price discrepancy. My name is Laura with the Sears Cares Escalations team and we are a single point of contact for escalated concerns; we would very much like to speak with you regarding what happened. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at [email protected] so you don’t have to continue to be frustrated by this. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the purchase was made under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (altoona) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.
    Laura D.

Resolved Glass Range Top Exploded

Having a nice quiet evening cooking dinner on this 5 burner Kenmore Gas-Glass Top stove and then bam the...

service scheduling and communications

Very Poor Scheduling and Communications With Customer.
We purchased a washing machine from Sears, Pineville, NC. Also purchased the extended warranty. We recently needed a service technician to come out and troubleshoot a problem. We called, got an appointment, and my wife took 1/2-day of vacation to meet the technician. He showed up, analyzed the problem, ordered parts, the parts were shipped to our house, and then came time to get Sears (A&E Factory Service) back out to complete the repair. Good grief! Everything went bad from that point forward. Short version: they scheduled a return date, my wife took another 1/2-day of vacation to meet the technician, they sent an automated confirmation voicemail to ensure that everything was on schedule, they never showed up, they never called, they rescheduled for another day without any notice, and my wife lost 1/2-day of vacation and production at her job.

We tried calling the Sears customer support number. What a completly worthless exercise in frustraion that was. They were like talking to a parrot. They obviously cannot do anything except read a computer screen. They have no ability to affect any local action. They left me "on hold" until the line went dead.

We finally accepted the fact that we were stuck with the rescheduled appointment. My wife scheduled another 1/2-day of vacation for that date. We checked the automated service and they confirmed the appointment. The very day of the new appointment my wife called the line when she got home and they confirmed that "your technician will be there shortly." But they never did show up and they never called.

But we were a bit more proactive this day. We both started calling every number we had related to Sears. Somehow, by some accident of fate we got a live person at the Sears, Pineville, NC store (Large appliance department)(An appliance sales person). That person was good enough to make some calls for us. That person somehow got in touch with somebody in Raleigh, NC that scheduled a technician for the next day (Saturday). Today is that Saturday and the technician is here as I type.

Sears is seriously ill in this department. My parents filled their houses with Sears appliances all during their lives. I have always purchases Sears appliances since my first home purchased in 1982. However, no more. (That is a real shame)

It seems that now I will have to shop Home Depot, Lowes, HH Gregg, and every other big-box retailer to get my best deal. No matter who I buy from, it will be A&E Factory Service that supports the warranty and extended warranty.

2011 = the death of customer service for large appliances.

• Th
    TheWayItIs Jul 06, 2011

Save your money, over all products purchased, you will be spending much more money for the extra insurance/maintenance than it's worth with the hassles, lost work time, etc. In Charlotte, you have more choices of authorized repair companies - let them compete for your business when/if you need them. FYI - if you were sucked in to Sears Master Protection agreements, those "free" maintenance calls in years one, two, three, etc are a complete waste of their time and your time - you'll have the same issues with appointments.

• Mi
    MinnesotaBetsy Jul 13, 2011

I have had the same experience with Sears/A&E Factory Service but PLEASE be aware!!! DO NOT use the big box companies as an alternative because you WILL get the same experience. We actually purchased the warranty on our washer/dryer from LOWES and it is indeed the same company. Evidently Sears owns the company A&E Factory Service and this is who you purchase the warranty through whether it's from Lowes or Sears! I don't know about Home Depot, etc. However, the time/money/vacation that customers exhaust would be better served by actually just PAYING for the service through a local small-business owner who might actually understand the meaning of CUSTOMER SERVICE. Sadly, as these companies get bigger, we will probably end up with no other options because the small guys will just not survive.

bad roofing job

Sears Home Services, formerly Home Central (botched roofing specialists), is their new name. Don't be fooled by a name change. It's the same crowd who botched up my roofing, with the same lousy attitude. They can change the name but until they improve their performance and make good on the mess they made at my home, I still see them as a bunch of crooks.

See what they did to me:

bad roofing job

Resolved you take day off - they don't show up

You'll get a brief diagnosis of the problem, they order parts, charge you in full — and cancel each appointment after they should have arrived. We had bob, technician #2055 come on april 15th to fix our craftsman riding mower. He ordered parts, charged us $370.79 and promised to return on april 22 between 8 am-5 pm to replace the carburator. My husband, who is a bank executive, took the day off. He received an automated call that the service had been rescheduled for the following thursday, april 28 between 8 am-12 pm. He took the morning off. No one came. He left at 1:00 pm and called customer service. Who told him it was cancelled because they are waiting on parts. The parts were mailed to our house and received on monday april 18th. He informed them, explained the inconvenience they have caused and the expense of taking time off to be here. They were apathetic and said they could come may 2nd. "do we have to be here?" we queried, "absolutely" was the reply. May 2nd was impossible for one of us to be home, so we agreed on may 5th between 1pm-5 pm. I took today off work, I do not have personal time and the cost of this day off is $210. So here I sit. I called customer service to confirm the appointment since no one showed, again. It has been moved to tomorrow morning between 8am-12 pm.

Resolved lawn mower warranty/repair

I have an extended, 3 year warranty on my Craftsman riding lawn mower by Sears. I have had a Sears repairman out 5 times to repair problems on the mower. Right now, I have several problems again: 1) sometimes will not turn over or start for several times before it finally starts 2) mower blade sometimes will not engage when the lever is engaged 3) sometimes the mower dies when the blade is engaged 4) the cutting deck will not stay level 5) right now, the mower will not go forward or backwards at all. I have talked with the Sears area manager twice. The last time was Wednesday, April 27. He promised to get back with me ASAP concerning replacing the mower and also paying for the times I have had to hire someone to mow my lawn. I am a patient man; however, this is not the way to do business. I am convinced the mower is a bad product and I would like my money back or a new mower.

• Ki
    kirstietoo Jul 30, 2015

I just brought my lawnmower in because it won't stay running, found out the repairs used to be done in ma 40miles from plymouth now I find out they send them out to maryland, I wont get my lawnmower for 6 weeks that is Insane not worth the money for warranty t or he mowers break way to easy and now they don't fix them in reasonable time. Im going to call and complain to someone ripping people off not fair .

• Se
    Sears hater Aug 10, 2018

We have an extended warranty on our lawnmower. It broke in June, they said someone would come out. The guy called us that day and we told him the engine was locked up. Said he would order a new one and it would take about 3 days for it to come in and he should be out 2 to 3 days after that to put it on. We never heard another word from him, wouldn't answer his phone and wouldn't return the calls. Called Sears back, said they saw the engine was ordered but got another appointment date, would be there from 8-5. At 3:30 I told a friend that the tech would call at 4:45 and say he wasn't going to make it. He called my husband's number at 4:20, he had been given my alternate number because we knew there was a chance he would be in a dead zone on his phone, but he never called me. When his phone finally got the notice, he let me know and I called the tech's number, no answer, left a message. Called him again the next morning, same thing no answer no return call. Called sears again, got another date, it was yesterday. Stayed here all day and he never came and he never called. We now have another date for next week, that will be two months since the lawnmower broke. My 70 year old husband has been having to borrow a lawnmower. He has to go load it up on a trailer bring it home, unload it use it and load it back up and take it back then unload it back into their shed. I called and got a case number from the main headquarters, today I called them to see what they were doing and they say they can't find us in the system anywhere!!!

replacement of schwinn exercise bike

I purchased a Schwinn exercise bike three years ago. Also purchased the extended warranty. When the
warranty came up for renewal this year, I renewed it. Had a need for a service call in March, 2011. They ordered replacement parts which as of May 3, 2011 were still on backorder. Was told they would replace bike if repair could not be made. Discovered today when I took my authorization number for the replacement to Sears, they only will replace $300 toward an exercise bike. I paid almost $500 for the bike plus purchasing the warranty for a total of almost $700 at time of purchase. There was no manager there to speak with, and I waited for more than an hour while I thought a manager was out to lunch. Sat in the department while employees were all around, none of whom seemed the least bit interested in assisting me in solving my problem. I will never ever do business with Sears again, nor will I ever purchase a warranty contract which is totally worthless in my opinion. Interestingly, while I was waiting, I was approached by a salesperson wanting to sell something for my home. SERIOUSLY???????

• Cl
    Clarice Charlene Cory May 04, 2011

But that is not "replacing" my bike with a comparable product, is it? And that is what you pay for in the warranty contract.

wrongfully accused of stealing

I go into sears tonight with my fiance and my 2 year old son to get a tool set (199.99) and some toys for my...

broken tv with extended warranty

We bought a flat screen tv in late November 2010 and took out the extended warranty. Our tv broke on April 16, 2011, and here it is 2 weeks later and our tv is still not repaired or replaced. Twice we have been lied to and told the part we needed was shipped to us and twice we have had repair appointments set up which were cancelled and now we are told the part is on back order with no anticipated ship date. We cannot get a replacement tv until the tv has been broke a month with the part not being available. After a month we can call back and ask for an authorization number to get a replacement tv. Really, does anyone want to go without a tv for a month when they paid good money for the tv, plus good money for a warranty???? I will never again buy any product from Sears or their affiliate Kmart...I thought companies had the motto that the customer is always right and every attempt should be make to keep a customer satisfied, but I guess I was wrong about that with Sears. Next time I want a product, I am going to Best Buy or American as I have never had a problem with them!

• Th
    TheWayItIs May 30, 2011

A few brands of TVs still have 90 day warranties. Most are 1 year. If 1 year, your TV is still under mfr warranty and you "extended" plan, or "master protection plan" is meaningless. Call the Mfr's customer support to expedite.