National City Bankripoff

S

thought it was only me! had account but did not order checks.started having bounced check fees . also transferred $600 electronicly from account but could not tell me to where or who after 6 weeks it showed back up with no explanation.after arguing for weeks with anyone who would talk to me at bank, left 100. in account tore up atm card waited a month and closed account.4 years later checked my credit rating says I owe natinal city for bounced checks...tired of dealing with this matter paid the $60 to clear my credit...I would never use this bank

ChrisS123 Mar 10, 2010

I agree National City is horrible! They gave me 9 $34 charges when my check was already posted to my account. They are very deceptive and have horrible customer service. I would recommend going to a smaller bank.

no more PNC Jan 25, 2010

NCB = PNC = Worst Bank. Unwinding all my accounts for transfer to a new bank. They lost a customer that had been with them (and predicessor banks) for 40 years.

• Js
    jstack Oct 23, 2009

That bank is in a gang call the blood suckers for money. They have so many people that work for them that they have to robbed the customer so they can get paid. thats ashame.

the blood suckers national city bank.

• Ba
    Bad People Oct 21, 2009

I just had the same thing happen to me. I am pissed off and just went and opened a new account elsewhere. I hate them. They lie and steal from you and change things in your account just to make you overdraft on purpose. I still should have a positive balance in my account but they charged me 136.00 in fees and i didnt even overdraft .Tommorow i am going and telling the rude #### in the office to stick her Points where the sun dont shine.

• Ju
    justintime Sep 23, 2009

National City is the worst bank I have ever dealt with. I would like to point out one branch and it's manager specifically. Aliquippa, PA and the manager Michelle. The most unprofessional and unfriendly person I have dealt with. I am an insurance broker that had a client who had a national city account that they closed through National City. They were in the process of switching accounts(for good reason I know now) and they had their insurance policy set up for automatic withdrawal and requested that National City close their account. Well two days after their balance was zero and they requested their account be closed, the insurance company drafted from this account and created an NSF charge that spiraled into more than two hundred dollars in fees because National City did not even bother to give a call to the customer letting them know this has happened. They sent a letter almost a week later letting them know they have transactions that were pending that was keeping the account open, even though they requested it be closed two days prior. Since I was handling their paperwork, I was responsible for making sure that the insurance company be notified of the their new account information. I did this, but unfortunately it took the insurance company 3 business days to make the switch which ended up being on day too late which I will explain in the following. I contacted the branch manager Michelle 4 times over a weeks period and kept getting excuse from a teller that she was either sick, on the other line, or in an accident. When I finally talked to her, I asked her why National City charged their account 4 consecutive NSF charges and she said that the insurance company tried to draft their account for their premium 4 consecutive times creating four 36$ NSF charges. I then asked how does National City justify charging them these fees. She said it was because it costs National City money for covering these transactions. I asked her how much and she said she could not disclose that information to me. So, in short, the insurance company never received payment from the customer or National City because the there was no money in the account because it was closed. When I told Michelle that neither the customer nor the insurance company received any goods or services and there was no money transacted in any of these transactions, she said that DID NOT MATTER!!! Why, because National City is covering this transaction and it cost them money to do so, but again she could not disclose how much. Michelle said it would be like writing a check at Walmart for groceries and then the check getting returned because of Non sufficient funds. What a load of #$%^. I then told her that nobody received anything, the insurance company never received money, and the customer did not received their policy because no money was given or received. When I kept asking her questions, she said I would have to calm down or else she would not talk to me even though I never raised my voice once. Oh yea, she was doing all of this explaining to me over the phone while she was stuffing her face with food. It was that bad that I could tell because her words were muffled and I heard a chewing sound in my ear. I asked her are you eating while you are talking to me about this, and she said yes I didn't get a chance to eat lunch yet...I'm sorry but you don't eat while you are discussing business, especially if you are a manager of a bank. Oh yes, I left one major part out of this story, she gave the customer back $118 from the total of $298 that was in the negative. I asked why she could not erase all of the charges and she said that her boss was kind enough to give that. I said what have you given, all you have done is take...take advantage of the consumer..pretty typical in this economy and world we live in. It's all about profit...never the customer like they post all over billboards and commercials. All of this was an innocent mistake with a customer who was trying protect their family with life insurance. They didn't try to take advantage or get anything for free. Just a mistake that National City made over $180 dollars on for a mistake. That's despicable. Michelle and National City don't give s damn about their account holder, even though we are the one who keep them in business.

• Sb
    sbaek Sep 22, 2009

YOU WERE ROBBED! They totally do this on purpose. Banks are crooks.

• Sb
    sbaek Sep 22, 2009

YES! I TOTALLY AGREE. I cannot even express my anger towards this bank in my lifetime.
    I think they purposefully mess up online banking so that we will get overdraft fees. Even if we deposit money, keep track of all our spendings, it NEVER adds up to what is shown on their ledger.
    They often leave things out of pending, put charges up and then it disappears to only show up days later, many transactions totally skip the pending to show what you have spent, and they always, ALWAYS deduct their overdraft fees before making your funds available just so they can charge you fees and you go even more negative.
    THEY ARE TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE TERRIBLE!

• Gr
    Greg Jul 22, 2009

I opened a bank account for my kids about year and 1/2 ago and the person at NC told me that I had to open a checking for my kids since I didn't have $200 minimum to deposit. He fails to mention if there is no activity on the account after 6 months the account will be closed. So I found out the the money I deposited for my kids is gone. When I call to complain they tell me that I could have opened a savings for my kids with any amount. So because I wasn't given the savings account that I wanted I lost their money. So when I call to complain they say they will call me back...uh yeah never did call back. Nice... I could go back to the National City on Woodman and punch that guy (the one who set up the account more than the one who didn't call me back EVER)! Like it's not hard enough being a single mom and trying to do the right thing. THANKS NATIONAL CITY! I still bank with you for now, but I don't give good referrals anymore like I use to and won't.

• Pa
    Parker Jul 11, 2009

The bank offered a promotional incentive for the opening of new accounts. The offer initially began as a promise to provide a $250 Visa gift card for the opening of a new account and the meeting of certain criteria (direct deposit, etc.). After I opened my account, I brought my teenagers to open accounts for them. By then the offer had been lowered to $150, which was fine.

The problem is that the bank never provided any of the cards. Only after I made persistent calls to the bank did they noffer to deposit $200 into my account, which I declined. They deposited the money anyway. The deal was $250!!! To date, they have not given my kids anything.

• Se
    SEXIMAMA8787 Jun 29, 2009

They took all of my money for rent etc. out of my account and didnt notify me until i was in tenn trying to use my card to get cash to get me and my son back home to ohio... i had to borrow money for my 2 old & me to make it home. lost my house cause no rent and all. when i told them i was stranded out of state with my 2yrold and no money and no place to stay cause of what they did they said it was unfortunite.

• Se
    SEXIMAMA8787 Jun 29, 2009

I had two bank accounts. one checking and one savings. I used alot of my money in my checking buying a car and some other stuff. Turns out the fitness machine I paid for pulled alot more money than it was supposed too and I told the bank to block them showed my payment in full letter from that fitness company and they blocked it. well not really. they continued pulling money out then other withdraws from unknown sources overdrawed me. On a thursday amonth or so ago I looked at my internet banking account info and it said I had 100.00 so I went to walmart to get a haircolor etc. spent way under the 100.00. the next day i check online to see the amount and to transfor funds and it said i was overdrawn like 400 dollars~! the came up with alot of excuses then told me they'd closed the account for me and just come back when i could and set up a payment plan. ok now may 27 I took my 2yr old son to tennessee just me and him using my savings account we were there a few days . the day im leaving i go to the atm and it says balance 0!!! I had 800.00 in that account!!!
    call the bank and TURNS OUT NATIONAL CITY TOOK ALL OF IT TO PAY THE OPEN CHECKING THAT HAD BEEN ADDING UP ON OVER DRAFTS 900.00. HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?? OH CAUSE THE MANAGER LIED ABOUT CLOSING THAT ACCOUNT AND ALSO WHEN I ASKED HER ABOUT MY SAVINGS .. IF THEY WERE ABLE TO DIP IN TO IT TO PAY THE CHECKING. SHE SAID NO!!!

I WAS STRANDED IN TENN WITHWITH A TWO YEAR OLD, NO PLACE TO STAY NO MONEY AND WHEN I TOLD THE LOSS PREVENTION DEP. THEY SAID THATS UNFORTUNITE! BORROW MONEY TO GET HOME NOW I HAVE NO RENT MONEY & HAVE TO STAY WITH MY MOM. THEY STILL ARE SAYING THAT I OWE 280.00 TO THEM.. GET THIS... THIS TIME THEY SENT ME A COLLETION LETTER!! MY MOM WAS A SIGNER ON THE ACCOUNT SO THEY SAID THAT IF I DONT PAY IN 10 DAYS THEY WILL ACCESS HER ACCOUNT AT CHASE AND TAKE IT.

DONT TRUST THIS BANK THEY RUINED MY LIFE. DIDNT CARE THAT I HAD MY SON OUT OF STATE WITH NO MONEY CAUSE OF THEM!

Marilyn Strawser Jun 24, 2009

We had a horrendous experience with National City bank in Coldwater, MI. We originally went in to refinance our house at a lower advertised rate and to open a new checking account. We were told we could get overdraft protection. At one time, we decided we had to use it. To our utter dismay, they invented a story that they had called us and said we did not get the overdraft protection. We never received any such call or message. They worked us over until they built up hundreds of dollars in overdraft fees. We went in to talk to the manager. She would not do anything.
    One time I made a call inquiring about a service and one of their rude employees told me I should just go elsewhere with the account. Then after I had deposited a large check from my inlaw's large estate and we had verified the issuing bank had sent them the money, they made us wait 8 more days to have it posted. When I went in to inquire about the deposit, the
    teller, in a loud voice in front of other customers yelled at me saying, "You don't have anything in your account." I questioned her about the large deposit by check and she rudely told me it was not posted so I had no money in there.
    While we were on vacation out of state, I wanted to make a deposit using my mastercard...the Coldwater branch told me I had to bring the card in for them to do it (I was 2017 miles away!!) I called another nearby National City Bank and they said it was no problem.
    The crux of the problem perhaps???...the house loan was not approved. THey did not need us to have a checking account there if they couldn't get the mortgage money out of us. Of course they found a way by their exhorbitant overdraft fees and policies.
    Anyone can make unethical rules and say people have to follow them or they are penalized financially and embarrassed in front of other clients. I found out what agency to file a report with but all they did was contact the bank, listen to their lies and take their story for it.
    Who trains these people in customer service? Why are some so dishonest? I have some thoughts on that, but I'm not going to say it here.
    I would highly discourage anyone from using National City Bank.

• Ki
    kiwispacey Jun 23, 2009

I am also frustrated with my banking experience through National City. I'm not sure where else I would go for checking account services. I'd almost rather keep my money under my mattress!!

• Al
    Alice Jun 14, 2009

Beware of National City Bank! This bank will drain your account dry in overdraft charges! They have the absolute worse customer service people that I've ever had to deal with. They don't have a clue what they're talking about. Everytime I turned around, I had overdraft charges to my account. Even when the funds were in my account, they always had some excuse for the NSF's. And beware! They purposely post your transactions so that an overdraft will occur. I gave up trying to keep up with my account.

I went to the bank to close my account after being fed up with losing so much money to NCB. At that time, the teller disposed of my debit card because it was no longer valid & I was no longer able to access my account online. I had a zero balance when I left the bank. A small check that had never been cashed, showed up & was run through my 'closed' account. Instead of National City returning the check 'Account Closed, ' I was charged $34 & an additional charge of $8 per day that this charge was not paid. I was not even made aware of this until just recently because I found out that National City has been sending any notices to an old P.O. Box # that is no longer even valid. I changed my address with the bank, but the people that work there, are not the sharpest tools in the shed! Needless to say, I never received notices until today. Now I owe National City Bank nearly $600!

I strongly advise anyone not to do business with this bank. They have no morals & will steal you blind! That's how they make their money!

• Ab
    aberll May 04, 2009

Worst bank possible!!! They manage to overdraft for a myriad of outrageous reasons. said i had called in and requested additonal copies of statements. In reality, i had proof that i had ONLINE requested that i receive my monthly statements by mail.

then they diddled with my account balance on more than one occasion when i paid my utility bill online, they took the money out and then returned it back into my account, then withdrew it again when it would overdraft. they claimed it was the fault of the utility companies' accounting, but the utility company gave me proof in writing that they were incorrect!

finally, they took three days to post an atm deposit. they also refused to return overdrafts for a retailer's error in putting in and immediately taking out a large amount which overdrafted my account.

i spoke with a guy named JOE MOORE who hardly spoke sense. he got all shrill and loud and said there was nothing he could do. when i said i was left with no choice but to file complaint he said i had not let him help me. ok, what can you do? nothing - it is your fault. apparently national city is scraping the bottom of the barrel for help.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS BANK!!! YOU CANNOT TRUST THEM TO HANDLE YOUR MONEY!!!

AND, OF COURSE, THEY SEEM TO FORGET IT IS YOUR MONEY!

• Ab
    aberll May 04, 2009

this bank is apparently trying to pull itself away from closure by cheating and stealing from their customers. i have watched my account every day online and still they have found ways to overdraft me! hated to give it up and call it their win, so persisted. learned not to EVER call and speak to representative! put it in writing online.

they play some kind of game with online payments to a local utility company. the money shows withdrawn from the account and then it is slipped back into the account - so you cannot trust what you see online. said it was the fault of the utility company, but i had written proof that from that company showing that what they were saying was untrue.

then -- they tried to say that i had called in and spoken to someone asking for an additional copy of my statement. WRONG! i had proof that i had requested ONLINE that i get my statements by paper -- not additional statements. they tried to overdraft me on that one!

the latest and final is that they took three days to show an atm deposit and overdrafted me!

STAY AWAY FROM THIS BANK!!! --- IF YOU WANT ANY KIND OF HARMONY IN YOUR LIFE!!!

• Ro
    rock Apr 11, 2009

NCB calls you every 5 minutes. I have taken to taking my phone off the hook. They even used my deceased fathers name for a caller id. Can you imagine my suprise when I saw my fathers name on the caller id. When i asked why they were doing it NCB said my phone was broken THEY ARE THE ULTIMATE IN HARASSMENT

• Ni
    Nicky Apr 01, 2009

Friday, 3/27 I deposited 400$ CASH into my NEW national city bank account. I still had 172.88 in the account before the deposit. Monday, 3/30 I had an automatic withdrawal from my auto company and a few items posted. Well, little did I know, National City put a hold on my cash deposit and only gave me 100$, the smaller items were less than the total, though my car payment was more, so they put a hold on my cash and charged me overdraft fees for everything=6 total=220$...none of the items were more than 16$. I am so upset, I do not even know who or how to talk to about this. I feel like I have been robbed.

• Nc
    NCsucks Mar 31, 2009

They held my debits from last Thursday until today, Tuesday. I saw them on my pending charges list the whole weekend. Then I make a deposit, which of course they hold an extra day. Then I charge two things and they give me OD on the debits from Thursday along with the new debits. Needless to say they stole my entire deposit, even though I had enough money for everything.

• Mi
    Michael C. Mar 20, 2009

National City Bank is offering 2.0 intrest on a money market acct. I went there to open a checking and savings acct. with them and asked if I could get the 2.0 and free checking.I was told yes. I had 52, 000 to deposit in the money market and thought I was getting free checking. When I finally got all my checks and stuff in the mail I re alised they had switched me to an intrest checking acct. which would have a monthly fee. In the fine print it said free checking wasn't elligable with 2.0 market acct. I went to get my money out and was told I would be assessed $30 per acct for closing before 6 months. I told them they have no right to take my money through a outright lie and then deposit in another acct. that I didn't choose. And then tell me if I want my money I have to pay their $60 extortion fee. I filed a complaint with the Atty. Generals office in Columbus Ohio.

• Ag
    agnes hull Feb 28, 2009

N.C.Bank do rip off people. I filed a complaint with the treasury dept. about them i'll see how that goes. If anyone does ever sue them count me in.

johnson Feb 22, 2009

This is the WORST bank I have dealt with in 40 years. Unbelievable harrassment on one payment that isnt even 30 days late yet. Over 30 harrassing calls so far, all day and night, weekends, they wont quit. Each time I tell them to stop calling, they dont. each time I tell them that I am working with their loss mitigation dept and to quit wasting my time with harrassment calls. They continue.

I hate this bank with a passion. I would NEVER do business with them again and suggest that NO one else ever do business with them either.

No one in this bank knows what the other is doing, and doesnt relay any information to the next harrasssment specialist.

• Aj
    ajsr Feb 11, 2009

They also charged me for their error. A friend of mine, who also banks with them, found out from an ex employee that they send your charges through before your deposits, so you overdraw and then they can charge you fees. Also, I deposited two checks into my account, they cleared and were no longer pending, and then because the place I worked went out of business, they allowed that bank to take the money back and they charged me for it! They charged me fees because a payroll check written to me turned out to be bad!? How is that my fault? How could I have known that business didn't actually have money in their account? I hate National City, with the fire of a thousand suns. As soon as all transactions clear, I'm demanding that they reverse those fees and if they don't, I'm closing my account. Do not bank with them...they take money out without asking as though it's theirs. They are a horrible institution and have the worst customer service.

• Da
    Dash4727 Feb 01, 2009

Does anyone know who oversees the banks on this issue regarding all the fees. If so please post it here. thank you.

• Tr
    Travis Jan 26, 2009

National City Bank had charged me a NSF fee for a transaction that did not clear yet. I had spoken with four different representatives, and they all had given me different excuses. One of the reps before had told me that as long as I deposited CASH into the account before the transaction cleared (usually the next business day), I would be fine.

One said it was for the check that was written two days prior to the credit transaction, I went on to explain to him that wal-mart automatically deducts funds with their checks, and those funds were available. Two other reps said it was for the check also but they had different reasons why. The one guy even went on to say because when transactions post, they post based on the amount available, although the money for the transaction was already set aside.

No one would even admit that what they were doing were wrong. I would NEVER suggest them to anyone...I didn't realize what they were doing to me until now, I have been letting them get away with it for the past year, and in this time they have gotten maybe eight hundred dollars from me overall from NSF fees.

I asked if they had a customer relations department, because what they did was just morally wrong...everyone i asked said no, but I could file a complaint but it would have to be written and they only accept them via mail. How great is that?

• Mm
    mmmblt Dec 27, 2008

Ok, first of all there is no way a bank held charges for two months. They don't have the ability to do so. A charge or a debit is just that--automatic. If you noticed that something wasn't going through then you should have notified them. Also, I understand the whole fee thing but a rule is a rule. You are responsible for making sure you have the money in your account. If the banks forgave every one's little mistakes then they would be in even more debt than they are right now. Why can't people just take responsibility for their own actions anymore? It is always someone else's fault or problem.

Andy Giovanni Nov 21, 2008

horrible service

Andy Giovanni Nov 21, 2008

NATIONAL CITY BANK OF COLUMBUS, OHIO IS HORRIBLE. THEY HAVE NO CUSTOMER SERVICE AT ALL. IF YOU CO IS A RIP OFF. I HAVE GOTTEN SO MANY FEES, I CONTACTED ABOUT THE FEES AND THEY WILL NOT REMOVE WHATSOEVER! THEY ARE RUDE, INCONSIDERATE AND IN MY OPINION VERY FRAUDULENT!

THOUSANDS OF $ IN FEES!

DON'T BANK WITH THEM IF YOU ARE SMART.

• Cy
    cynthia122977 Nov 15, 2008

THE WORST BANK OF ALL TIME FOR SURE. I HAD A OVERDRAFT OF .39 CENTS I MEAN CENTS AND GOT CHARGED 36.00 FOR .39 CENTS WHAT THE HECK SOME WHAT IS THIS?>> I WAS IN CHICAGO AND USED MY CARD AND THE HELD THE CHARGES FOR 2 MONTHS THEN LET THEM GO THREW MY ACCOUNT AT THIS TIME I HAD A ZERO BALANCE AND THEN THEY CHARGED ME 2 36.00 FEES FOR ONE TRANSACTION LEAVING THIS BANK ASAP. DO NOT WANT ANYONE ELSE TO GET SCREW BY THIS BACK.. I GUESS THIS IS ONE WAY TO SAVE THE BANK FROM THE ECONOMY RIGHT?

• Pa
    Patrick Oct 20, 2008

Pitto,

I am not sure where to begin or if I even should. But then, this wouldn't be much of a rebuttal. You need to "walk in other shoes" before you "love national city bank". As a customer, who in the good times is always right, is now always wrong. Money talks. Folks are down on their luck and you love the bank that is ripping them off for a two cent loan. Take a look at all of the practices that your love uses to extract money from Joe Public. Then walk in the customers shoes and tell me that you still have the same opinion of your bank. You work in customer service (look it up, it ain't hard to figure out what your job is), not the loan department. You are defending your love and they (the suits) are out of town having a party somewhere exotic on the bankroll of the working class. What's worse, they didn't earn the money, they took it.

• Sh
    Sharon K. Stewart Oct 19, 2008

If there is a class action suit against these thieves, please let me know!

• Valerie Oct 02, 2008

I start by saying I am a faithful National City Employee. I cannot present to anyone what I do not myself believe in. First I would like to say in response to so many posts that in all stories there could be human error and for that we should be forgiving. To be rude or condescending is also not acceptable. With that said, many complaining not only on the blog but in my branch about overdrafts are "MAINLY" those who are in no way responsible for keeping record of their accounts, I will not take blame for that. I respect my customers whether they are in the negative $200 or positive $200K. I am NOT responsible for... your lack of planning and check writing BEFORE you have the funds to do so...Not responsible for your personal life, that is what your family is for... I DO love my customers, I understand them, *** I've had RECENT overdrafts... It's MY fault I knew i didn't have it! I am NOT responsible for your HELOC freeze, Blame BUSH we are just abiding by their rules... Your 2 cent overdraft costing you $34, yep it's a loan baby, you wrote a check your account couldn't pay and by the way we lost more money paying your pizza bill than you did overdrafting. I am actual friends with MANY of my customers and have cried over the death of more than one. I AM National City Bank and I'm truly sorry if you did have an unresolved "issue" and it was not TRULY your fault. I'm in Monroeville Pennsylvania and if you come to my branch you will get the utmost respect from me.

I've found most people are more patient in line at McDonalds waiting for their promised "fast food" than they are at a local bank who is being careful to count their money, keep balances low in drawers in case of robberies... until you have walked in our shoes... I love National City and if you are my customer I love you too.

• Da
    Dave Aug 19, 2008

I am 50 years old, have never ever had credit issues or filed for bankruptcy, and I treat people with respect. Today, August 19, 2017, I was treated with complete and total disrespect by a National City bank collection agent. I was called over 10 times today because they claimed I had not paid a bill on time (not late but on time). I was in meetings all day at work while they kept calling my cell phone and I never answered the calls. No messages were left. I finally took a call about 7:30 tonight (this was the 11th call today) and low and behold I was treated on the phone as if I was a criminal running from the law. The lady on the phone screamed at me "Don't threaten me!" when I asked her what she wanted. She then launched in on me, screaming as she spoke unless that is how she always speaks, that I was lying about paying the bill and that I was threatening her. It was amazing. I never had a phone call like that in my life. When she commented that I was avoiding their calls, I said "wait a minute" and she immediately screamed "Quit threatening me!". I just hung up on her.

I didn't think this kind of stuff actually occurred to the general public that actually paid their debts on a timely basis but I thought wrong. I felt I should share this story because this really occurred. The reality is I had paid the bill and I have the receipt which I will go into the local branch tomorrow and discuss with the manager.

• Ka
    Kate Aug 18, 2008

Hey genius, all banks do this! It is standard industry practice to subtract all debits from largest to smallest and then add in deposits after that for the express purpose of charging you as many OD fees as possible. Show me ONE bank that doesn’t do this!

It’s also normal to subtract a debit from your account the day you charge it, while not counting a credit until 12 or 2 pm the next business day. So if you put in a deposit at 4 pm Friday, it’s not really deposited until Monday, but if you pay for something with your debit card on Saturday, they deduct the money from your account effective Saturday.

You’re blaming the bank for the fact that you are spending money you don’t have. You’re choosing to do that, and you’re choosing not to have overdraft protection. I don’t work for this bank. It just blows my mind that every time a fool spends money (s)he doesn’t have and gets charged fees for it, it becomes the bank’s fault.

• Ir
    IRATE Aug 12, 2008

I agree with all the statements of OD charges. This bank has gone OD crazy. I have had the same account for about 25yrs and never had problems until the last year or two. They do exactaly what everyone is saying, they hold your deposit even though the calander date on the deposit slips says 8/8/08 and the business date says 8/8/08 your money is not there? What? Where is It? I was hit over and over again with OD charges because, the Customer Rep said, well your money was there but in reality it was not really available until the next day. WTF is that? I figure this, they lie to you about when your monies are available, and they hold debits in pending and wait like the cat for the mouse, until a big debit comes through pays that, they release all the pending ones and BANG, BANG, BANG your own bank STEALS YOUR MONEY...AND ARE GETTING AWAY WITH IT!!! Well I say no more, I sent a letter to the OCC and am currently trying to find out if a class action law suit can stop these customer robbing people. Also sending letters to the BBB may help, it can't hurt. The most important thing to do is get the word out there, tell everyone you know, people you don't know, anyone who will listen about the RUDE, NASTY AND MONEY STEALING PEOPLE AT NATIONAL CITY BANK...AND PLEASE, IF YOU HAVE ANY TYPE OF ACCOUNT THERE, CANCEL IT AND MOVE ON...I read that NCB is way in debt and the stock is like below your feet, , low looowwwww. So, they are stealing our money to pay their bill and piss on ours...

anonymous Aug 08, 2008

I can't give any advice, but I want to add that this is why I switched from National City to USAA.
    National City allowed me to deposit my paycheck into an ATM and have the money avaiable immediately on the weekend. Monday comes around and there is a nagative balance. They said the money is not relaly there, but the atm thinks it is so it lets me spend it and it won't really be in there until the "holding period" is over! Is that ### or what?! There is no warning on the atm's that say anything about it being available so you can overdraw and make them more money! I hate banks that prey on people like that! They purposely want you to overdraft so they make more money. Then the people that have LOTS of money are making interest with the money the bank is stealing from us with these "overdraft fees"...I say...why the heck don't you decline the transaction then?! They say this is a courtesy pay...then why not be so courteous as to credit us back the unnecessary fees?!

USAA gives you credit right away for checks and if they bounce, they take the money back out of your account. ONE fee if that happens and that is for the bad check if it is one. That way you aren't getting $29 fees for a $5 meal from McDonals that was pending weeks before. We as consumers need to stand up to these big banks and high interest rates!
    Can you believe car insurance companies can charge you more based on your CREDIT!? Why the ### does credit even matter?! If I don't pay the insurance, then cancel the coverage! Why is bad credit even a factor! There are no risks higher for people with bad credit for your coverage! This is all part of the government's plan to kill hte middle class of this country! It all starts with one Bank at a Time...

• Gr
    Greg Alessio Aug 05, 2008

On August 5th, 2017 at around 1230 pm my wife pulled in the drive -thru to cash my Disability check, which she has been doing the last six to eight months without me being there, I always sign the check or endorse it and there has never been a problem ever!! anyhow my wife gave the check to the lady and she says to my wife with an attitude that she can't accept the check, so naturaly my wife asks her why not and she without making eye contact with my wife says again i can't accept this, now mind you this lady had an attitude from the start and never ounce made eye contact with my wife. my wife was very professional toward her as well, and the lady was extremely rude and acted as though my wife was beneath her. my wife and I have accounts at other banks and cash my checks without any trouble, we would of had no problem if the lady had just explained the issue or said that this is a new rule or something!! in all the years I was in business for myself I have never treated people like this lady treated my wife, or I would of went out of business.when my wife called me an told me all this, I just shook my head in disbelief, so I decided to act out on this I tried to call the eight hundred number and all I got was a recording to press this and to press that and still could not get through, so anyway I would sure appreciate it if you would at least let this banks manager know about these kind of things, because of this we are closing our account with them, and the sad part is we have a lot of money in our account over there, this is a real shame, I hope the next person does'nt go postal over something this silly because this should be a pleasant experience.anyway thanks for giving people like us a place to vent and hope to hear from you soon thankyou.

• Valerie Jul 28, 2008

I made my monthly credit line payment to national city bank by speaking to their account rep. on the telephone. she took my checking acct info and confirmed the payment. later i found out that the payment was not applied to my acct. because she screwed up the check #, so as a result thy decided to report me late to the credit bureau. when i called to discuss the matter i found that thy were completely unresponsive, rude, disrespectful and totally unwilling to correct their mistake. i left four messages to speak with there accounts manager and wrote a letter to the collection department asking for assists in resolving the matter and received not one return call. it is my opinion that this company has no respect for its customers, no concern with reporting the truth to the credit bureau and absolutely no moral integrity to speak of and i hope this letter will help others to avoid doing business with national city bank.

• Valerie Jul 25, 2008

Over Memorial Day weekend my mother was admitted to the hospital on an emergency and it was discovered she had Stage 4 Lung Cancer and was going to die. I rushed to Detroit to be by her side. The day after Memorial Day I was checking our National City account and found we were negative due to un-posted authorizations coming though. It was 4pm and I needed to be on the road to return to Grand Rapids I was unable to hunt down a National City branch in an area I was unfamiliar at rush hour to clear up the matter. Upon arriving back in Grand Rapids I deposited cash funds into a National City ATM to bring the balance positive and my husband sent an email to Patrick LeBlanc at the Eastbrook Office requesting he speak with the Branch Manager regarding waiving any fees that may post due to the extreme family emergency.

I was forced to return to Detroit on Thursday to be with my mother who took a dramatic turn for the worse so my husband continued to try and work on the issue. We did not get credits or returned emails from Patrick. My husband left a voice mail for Patrick asking for an update which was not returned. Besides our DDA and Savings Account my husband recently moved his 401K from a former employer to National City Investments. At retirement this fund will be worth over $200, 000.00. Sadly my mother passed away on Saturday May 31, 2017 and we were left with 5 overdraft fees still sitting on our account at a time we could not afford these. While in route to Detroit on Monday June 2 my husband discussed with Patrick how the branch manager Annemarie was not only threatening the loss of our DDA and Savings Account but also the investment account over a few overdraft fees. Patrick took the attitude that �if you move it you move it� he did have Annemarie finally call my husband on Tuesday, June 3 her call came during the visitation for my mother.

To our disgust, this branch manager showed no compassion or understanding for our loss or the circumstances surrounding the loss of my mother. She flat out refused to credit the fees saying there was no bank error. We feel a bank error had occurred because not all your pending debit card authorizations show in pending, they surprise you the day they post causing negative balances. This is a bank error because those same merchants that do not appear at National City appear on our Fifth-Third account as pending. This practice is a clear attempt by National City to generate negative balances and increase fee revenue which Annemarie was more concerned about getting then showing humanity and compassion to a customer.

A financial institution who places such an individual leadership who is more concerned about fees then compassion is not an organization we will use. We have closed our DDA and savings accounts and am in the process of moving the IRA out. We will be informing others of the actions of National City.

• Valerie Jul 25, 2008

NATIONAL CITY BANK will STEAL money from you!!! DON'T BANK with NCB!!! I had 8 OD charges post to my account because they held onto a deposit. I made a deposit at 9:06 am 7/7/08 and even, though it posted on 7/7/08 the branch manager told me that I shouldn't have counted on the funds being available until 7/8/08. He told me I was in the error and that the bank was providing me a service for paying the debits. WHAT?

First of all, I was not in error and second how is the bank doing me any favors by charging my account 272 dollars for 70 dollars worth of so called unpaid debits!!! MY money was in the account to cover the debits, my bank just chose to put the debits through before the deposit. (Even though on paper, on my Interim statement, the deposit went through first and then the 8 OD charges appear.)

I had a Interim Statement print out, of my account, before I went to talk with the branch manager. He said ' oh, I can't read that.' Let me take a look at your account from my computer. He sat there and crunched some numbers. Then he told me I was in error. Blah Blah Blah. I don't know where he got his numbers but they didn't match my bank ledger or my statement. I ask him for a copy of my account numbers from his computer screen so that I could compare numbers. He said NO. I ask him why? He said it just wasn't possible. HOW SHADY! How could that not be possible for him to make a printout from his computer?

I asked him if he could please just refund half of the overdrafts charges. I said that the 272 dollars was going to hurt my family pretty badly this month. All this CREEP of a bank manager had to say was that it was my banking error. It was all my fault. There was NOTHING he could do about it.

SO... what can we the people, who have been RAPED and ROBBED by NCB do?? I told the branch manager that I would be closing my account next week and filing a complaint with the OCC. ( Office of the Controller of the Currency, Administrator of National Banks). This guy was unfazed. He said go right ahead. I was in the wrong and that was that.

I am not the only one, either! I have read MANY similar complaints about NCB holding onto deposits to their advantage. If they aren't predatory, why are so many other consumers closing their National city Bank accounts?