Mcdonaldssubstitutions

So recently, McDonalds introduced yogurt into their Happy Meals. Alright, had no problem with this. It's good to offer a nutritous substitute to fries, after all. Now, I have a small appetite, so I normally get a Happy meal, rather than the adult-sized equivalent. I'm also lactose intolerant (and not the 'I get gas in four hours' kind, the 'I vomit as soon as milk hits my esophagus' kind), so I was rather pissed to find out that they now put the yogurt in the kids meals, and you don't have the option to say 'No, I can't eat it.' When I asked for a substitution, they said they couldn't do that. When I told them to just not put it in the bag, they said they couldn't do that either. So I got home and threw a container of yogurt in the garbage, and hated myself for having to do so, because I hate wasting food.
McDonalds says on their website (and by the way, they REALLY need an email complaint system. It won't let me submit a damn thing without an American address) that they substitute apple slices, but EVERY time I ask them to do this, they say they can't. At least six times I've tried, and they won't let me.

• Do
    donald thompson Mar 25, 2008

Cold food, employees not doing there jobs!

• Ze
    zezima Mar 29, 2008

what are you talking about? It's nuked.

• Ro
    ROBIN GIBBS Apr 14, 2008

I ordered a fish fillet and they salted it with the french fries. Totally uneatable.

bigsmellyman Apr 14, 2008

I wouldn't feed McDonald's to my dog. Only losers eat at McDonald's

• De
    delia ortiz Apr 30, 2008

how you are going to say that you cant hire anybody because of there tattoos that is redicules

bigsmellyman May 02, 2008

Don't you mean THEIR jobs?

bigsmellyman May 02, 2008

Don't you mean THEIR tatoos? I heard they don't hire dumb people.

Ange May 03, 2008

Many companies are now enforcing a dress code with regard to peircings & tatoos. My company now only allows one piercing in each ear and no tatoos visible. I don't think that this is unreasonable. Companies have the right to decide what image they want to project for their company and if no tatoos is it then that is their right.

• Mi
    michael Jul 13, 2008

Sick of getting raw food at this restaurant!

Anonymous Sep 14, 2008

Complain to the food hygiene and standards agency and next time take the raw meat away in the box and pass it on to them, they will have a health inspector crawling all over the place within a week.

Anonymous Sep 14, 2008

Discrimination, because you have a tattoo, you must be Yakuza, sorry McDonalds doesn't hire Yakuza!

• Valerie Oct 20, 2008

The worst place to go is McDonald's!

• Mc
    McEmployee23 Sep 18, 2009

Facts, statements, testimonials?

• Bo
    Bob McMom Dec 21, 2009

Your food is greassy and kills people

• Em
    emmm Dec 21, 2009

DUH!!! It's freaking fast food. What did you expect? Make food at home.

• Sh
    shahrudinsharif Dec 01, 2010

I would to confirm if you do have a snr.adv. barrister Barr J.Wilson working with you.Thank you.

• Br
    Brewgoat Jul 20, 2012

I thought it was strange they did not ask before putting in the apples and yogurt. I guess they would rather take the heat and be accused of making kids healthy than unhealthy. I am lactose intolerant as well and have found yogurt to be one the only things I can eat without issue as they contain the active cultures that breakdown lactose.

• Du
    Ducky87 Jul 20, 2012

Where I live, they allow that substitution all the time. It sounds like maybe you are going to a franchise that is mistaken on a rule. They certainly shouldn't have to throw the yogurt in your bag if you say you don't want it. I also think you are supposed to be able to request apples instead.

• Be
    BeaverBoy Jul 20, 2012

print out the part on their website about apple slices to show the next time they say they can't do that

• NeveragainAmazon Jul 20, 2012

I agree with the last three comments. The first two are uncalled for.

Izzy M. Jul 20, 2012

Tasha9, I was coming home from work when I got lunch, and no one in my family, or circle of friends eat yogurt. A large number of them are also lactose-intolerant. It was either throw it out now, or throw it out in two weeks when it's expired. And you really think that the way I choose to voice my complaint on a complaints board is how I behave all the time? What would be the point of the site if everyone was cheery and friendly? People come here because they are dissatisfied in some way.

Descartes, my complaint is, indeed, that they gave me food I did not want, nor did I ask for, in fact, I specifically asked to NOT get it. It's a waste of food, is what it is.

Lucky you, Brewgoat. I'm okay with certain yogurts, but Danino, for whatever reason, is not one of them, which is funny, because I believe the brand of lactose-free yogurt I buy is actually produced by the same company that makes Danino.

• Us
    user 33 Jul 20, 2012

So then stop going there you dummy. Problem solved.

Izzy M. Jul 20, 2012

Tasha, I'm in my twenties, and have behaved in a manner befitting an adult. I am dissatisfied with their service, and have thus come to this site to complain. That is the function of this place. I could have potentially found someone to eat the yogurt, I suppose, if I drove around my neighbourhood, asking strange kids if they wanted it, but that looks rather sketchy, don't you think? But whether I could have or not is not the point. The point is that McDonalds claims that they cater to people with dietary concerns, and in this instance, they did not.

Izzy M. Jul 20, 2012

For the record, I said IN my twenties, not twenty, but I digress. I enjoy McDonalds' food, and have never had any problems with their service, aside from yogurt-related grievances. It's not enough to stop me going there, but I posted this complaint in search of others who share similar experiences, in the hopes that, perhaps, I might find a more concrete solution for it.

• The Lidman Foundation Jul 20, 2012

McDonalds has the best angus burgers.

Izzy M. Jul 20, 2012

I never said they tried to force-feed me yogurt, Descartes. Absurd comments like that get no one anywhere. My complaint is not against the yogurt itself, but against the breach of company policy to provide alternatives.

• Gh
    Ghost of DocJ Jul 20, 2012

They know that. They're just messin' with you.

Izzy M. Jul 20, 2012

Their website claims the alternatives on several pages of their official site, Descartes. They're not made up.
    "We are sensitive to dietary restrictions. A crew member would be happy to substitute yogurt for apple slices in any Happy Meal." is seen on no less than three pages in the Q&A section, and on their nutritional information page as well.

• M3C QueenBee Jul 20, 2012

Strunk obviously has these issues, if she has to behave this badly.

Izzy M. Jul 20, 2012

I don't know what sort of McDonalds you're visiting, Strunk, but where I live, the kids meals are smaller than the adults. They contain four nuggets, while the adult has six, and they include a smaller portion of fries. As I said, I have a small appetite, owing to a gastrointestinal disease, and some times can't even eat that much food.
    My only issue, Strunk, is with the breach of company policy to accomodate dietary concerns. This a website specifically created to voice grievances. Why must I have an alternative source of frustration to post here? Is it not possible that I am merely a dissatisfied customer, choosing to voice this dissatisfaction in the only way possible?

DSgamby Jul 20, 2012

Izzy M.: Strunk is referring to the size of the food not the amount of food for the nuggets.

I was just looking at the McDonalds Canada site and have not found one page that says "We are sensitive to dietary restrictions. A crew member would be happy to substitute yogurt for apple slices in any Happy Meal."

Can you please post one direct link to the FAQ that says "We are sensitive to dietary restrictions. A crew member would be happy to substitute yogurt for apple slices in any Happy Meal."? Thanks

Izzy M. Jul 20, 2012

Finding a direct link is a little more difficult, as most of the FAQ's come up as mere popups, but if you go here:
    And type 'lactose' or 'yogurt' in the comment bar, then click on one of the three comments I found, of people with similar problems to mine, then you will find the quote.

• Brenda* Jul 20, 2012

McD's sells 4, 6, 10, and 20 piece McNuggets. Yes, even in Canada.

Izzy M. Jul 20, 2012

I've only ever seen 4-piece meals offered in the kids meals, Brenda, but I'll take your word for it. Even with those sizes of nuggets, the adult meals still give me far more fries than I could ever eat. Until they started in with this yogurt without an option business, the Happy Meals were the perfect-sized option for me.

Thanks.

I found one. The direct link is http://yourquestions.mcdonalds.ca/questions/19

Just so you know, that is not a policy. If it was was policy, then, they would have posted that responds on the Happy Meal main page and on their FAQ pages. They did not.

Izzy M. Jul 20, 2012

Actually, DSGamby, my boyfriend just called their contact line, and he says they told him it is company policy to recognize and accomodate dietary concerns within the current means available. The representative said the employee was in the wrong for specifically telling me that I could not substitute, and apologized for any inconvenience.

DSgamby Jul 20, 2012

And you trust what McDonalds says over the phone?

Izzy M. Jul 20, 2012

I trust a paid representative to know what is company policy and what is not, more than I trust some stranger on the internet.

DSgamby Jul 20, 2012

You obviously don't know about the Shaw debacle of the Shaw Friends program and Lifetime warranty.

They just said to get you off the phone and hopefully you are happy with the response.

Like I said before, no where on the Happy Meal or FAQ pages has that policy.

• The Lidman Foundation Jul 20, 2012

Is a cheeseburger without cheese still a cheeseburger?