Menu
Home Travel & Vacations eDreams Tickets full refund denied

eDreams review: Tickets full refund denied

N
Author of the complaint
11:55 am EDT
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I booked 3 tickets through edreams on April 17th under reference number [protected] (booking confirmation screen shot attahced). A few days later later, I noticed that CA $6,029.18 were withdrawn from my credit card instead of CA $4,654.93. It took me quite a while until I figured out what happened.

- First: While surfing for flight tickets, I was referred to the Canadian edreams website through another travel website. The ticket prices on the Canadian edreams website were and still are written in $ and not CA$. I continued to surf other travel websites, then got referred to the American e-dreams website. This is when all the confusion started.

The edreams American and Canadian websites are almost identical except for a very tiny box on the top right corner of the screen showing the country’s flag and currency. This box actually disappears once I scroll down the screen. Both the American and Canadian edreams’ websites have the ticket prices written in $.

Given the extreme similarity between both websites, I thought I was referred to the same edreams Canadian website twice and didn't notice that I was actually on the edreams American website, So, I booked my tickets on the edreams American website thinking I was paying in Canadian Dollars.

It's very easy for any Canadian customer to get tricked into paying in US$ given that;

1- the currency symbols on both the US and Canadian eDreams websites are exactly the same

2- both websites look almost identical

3- the currency flags on the top side corner of both websites disappear as soon as the screen scrolls down, thus eliminating any distinction between both websites.

Please check the screenshots I attached below.

Having read many reviews online after I saw my credit card statement, I discovered that my case is actually quite common, and that so many Canadians tend to get caught into the same trap. this is one website that highlights the problem: https://yyzdeals.com/third-party-airfare-booking-sites-power-rankings-who-to-trust-who-to-avoid

I checked other renowned Canadian travel websites like Expedia Canada and Kayak. I found that they do have a big ‘CA’ or at least a big ‘C’ on their Canadian websites before the ‘$’ to clearly distinguish between American and Canadian currencies, thus avoid confusing consumers when they make their bookings.

On Saturday April 23rd at 1.44am. a virtual assistant was the first thing to greet me when I decided to contact eDreams:

- Abhishek Mishra was the first human on-line agent to communicate with me on Sunday 11.16am Toronto time. He promised to send an invoice, which he never did.

- On Monday 3.56pm Toronto time, I communicated with the second human on-line agent named Karan Kumar. Still my issue wasn't resolved in any way.

- On April 25th at 6.16pm Toronto time, I called one of edreams phone agents for over 30 minutes. She was probably answering from a call center based in India and was indeed very provocative. She denied any mistake on edreams' part. I requested to speak to her supervisor but that never happened either. I believe there was no supervisor that she could possibly refer me to in the first place but she never admitted it. I have the phone conversation recorded on my computer.

- Second: I discovered that edreams has charged me using an exchange rate of 1.2952 instead of 1.2611 (the official currency exchange rate on that day) (screen shot attached). Accordingly, I paid an extra CA $160.0!

I took screen shots of: both the US and Canadian edreams websites, other Canadian travel websites, my credit card statement, my booking confirmation details and the official exchange rates on the date the day I purchased the tickets. I filed a formal complaint on edreams website attaching all the screen shots as proof. I requested a full refund and demanded a correction to the currency symbol on the Canadian website to avoid confusing Canadian consumers.

The following day, edreams sent me back an automated reply written in a mix of German and English and which didn't address my problem in any way screen shot attached). I truly found that kind of response extremely unprofessional.

If this is how edreams treated me before travelling, I can't imagine what would the situation be like if I got stuck in an airport for any reason and needed their help. They would never have my back. They have lost their credibility to me and I don't feel safe travelling with them with my two daughters especially that we are taking connecting flights.

More eDreams complaints & reviews

eDreams - fraudulent claims and withholding of money
eDreams - Shady business practices