Direct TVvery poor service and unacceptable contract

J

Click on the link to see the full complaint

• Tb
    TBrooks Jan 18, 2013

Direct TV the biggest rip off how can my bill start off $78.00 with no movie channels, and just the internet go up to $180.00 a month. Direct TV gets you in a contract then raises your bill to what ever they want, their the ones committing a crime and getting away with it.

John Flaig Jan 09, 2013

I had Sunday Ticket in 2011. In 2012, I signed up for The Sunday ticket package for 199.00 but because of the automatic renewal policy, I was given Sunday Ticket Max for 299.00 which I did not want. I am requesting a refund of 100.00 for the renewal over riding my request for the cheaper package. I spoke to Ben in New Mexico but he referred me to Greenwood Colorado. Please contact me concerning this matter.

• Ha
    halofireangel Dec 06, 2012

While I agree most of us may have signed a contract and I was told that on the back of your bill in the fine print it states they may use the card on file for debt collecting purposes. That's all fine and good. I am on social security and they pulled over half of my 800 a month out. THIS IS AGAINST THE LAW. I cannot give them permission to pull anything off the card (which I may state that I have changed my payment method a few times and did not sign a contract or anything for the most recent payment method, I just paid the bill with it) No one but government agency may pull money out of your social security account. I spoke to DTV and informed them they were violating federal law. They of course spouted some legal mumbo jumbo and told me to file a dispute with the bank. I did so and changed my debit card, AGAIN. The bank said it would take 2 weeks. It was 2 days before I got a letter from the bank stating no error was found. Is this law protecting social security so vague and unknown that even banks will not honor it? Try getting through to social security to complain about the issue. I am at a loss. DTV has put me in a real bind and right before christmas too. I did owe them a bill but they did not wait 45 days before yanking the money.

• Gn
    gna86 Nov 30, 2012

Same thing here. We paid some movie charges over the years on the bill. We returned the equipment, and bam 14 more movies. WHAT! Anything we can do?

• Ce
    ceejay72 Nov 29, 2012

I cancelled my direct tv service after many years of being a customer through a bundle with verizon. After cancelling, I continued to get bills. I was told that they have no record of me cancelling serivce. It has been almost three years, I have moved twice, and changed my phone number once yet still am being harrassed. They call my sister, mother, and myself constantly. I receive collection demands regularly. What can I do????
    [email protected]

• Ti
    TINA RIDLEY Nov 02, 2012

DIRECT TV IS ABOUT TO HAVE AN LAW SUITE ON THEM, SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW DIRECT TV CAN GO INTO MY BANK ACCOUNT AND TAKE ALL OF MY MONEY OUT AND I DON'T EVEN HAVE SERVICES WITH THEM. I JUST PAID A FRIENDS BILL FROM MY ACCOUNT AND THEY KEPT MY ACCOUNT ON FILE, AND WHEN THEY NO LONGER PAID THERE BILL THEY WENT INTO MY ACCOUNT AND DRAINED MY ACCOUNT DRY... AND AFTER CALLING AND ASKING THEM WHY THEY SAID BECAUSE THEY KEEP CREDIT CARDS ON FILE AND WHOMEVER PAYS WITH THERE CREDIT CARDS THAT IS WHO THEY BILL, ARE YOU SERIOUS? LAWSUIT LAWSUIT.

angilund Oct 30, 2012

I cancelled DTV on 9/16/12 and returned the equipment w/ no problem. I later received a "final bill" saying all was well 0.00 balance remaining. About 2 weeks later I get a bill in the mail for 24.95 for 5 movies???? I called and they said they scanned a card in my box and those are movies we didn't pay for. Ummmm Nope that never happened and these charges are wrong, please take them off. And they won't So what do I do now? I just have to have that on my credit or pay them, that's not O.k Who's regulating these companies to make sure they aren't doing these types of things to people?

• Re
    Rebecca A joseph Oct 18, 2012

direct tv obtain bank debit card info and withdrew 517.00 out of my account and i am not even a direct tv subscriber..after serveral attempts and calls to them i discovered that 7 years ago when i helped daughtr get direct tv and used my old bank info then that card expired and i had since changed banks.. therefore they stole my bank info and took monies out of account since daughter cancelled her services .

• St
    stephvivian Oct 14, 2012

10/13/12 4:10 PM 15 hours ago

10/13/12 1:45 PM 17 hours ago

10/13/12 10:58 AM 20 hours ago

10/13/12 8:29 AM 23 hours ago

Direct TV spam calling? I was out, why not leave a message? my god

• Jp
    jplglobal Oct 12, 2012

Direct TV lied to me about their 24 months contract. The price DOES change after 12 months. So much for a 24 month contract. They lied to me about the money. Everytime I called it was a different awnser. Yes, your owed money, we will send a check. No, we would never send a check. Yes, no, yes, no... Everytime it was a different awsner. They are rip-off scams, that Direct TV must puposely not allow their call center to communicate to eachother. Worst business practices ever!!!

• Jp
    jplglobal Oct 12, 2012

I had the same thing happen to me! Direct TV lies, cheats and steals money from consumers!!

• Pa
    Paul Vance Oct 08, 2012

Your complaint should be about your deadbeat friend. not Direct TV. They wouldn't have charged your card again if your friend paid their bill on time.

ELISA RODRIGUEZ Oct 08, 2012

I didnt authorized payment at the time they took out the money from my bank account.. well I did it before but not this time.Is against law they charged your card without any authorization.. that you used few times your card to make payments dont authorized them to do that, , also the card is not under account name... you are not the person with the account. Imagine if everytime that you used your card, they get the info and charge your card whetever they want...

ELISA RODRIGUEZ Oct 05, 2012

How they going to do something like that!!! At least if was your account.. but it's not.. You should speak with a lawyer

ELISA RODRIGUEZ Oct 05, 2012

Direct tv charged my debit card, where I receive my social security benefits and let my account in $0.00, even the account is not under my name. I was using my debit card to help a family member. She was giving me the cash money and I was payingh her bill using my debit card in their online billing. THE ACCOUNT IS NOT MINE< ITS NOT UNDER MY NAME. IM NOT DIRECT TV CLIENT, I DID NOT AUTHORIZED THE PAYMENT. THIS IS AGAINST LAW>

• Ri
    Ripped Off Veteran Oct 01, 2012

Takes money out of Bank accounts with no permission ..then says they will mail a check in 21 business days for their mistake refuses to deposit money back in accounts !!!

• Te
    terry mann Sep 05, 2012

back on July 20Th i payed my insurance and phone bill, on July 23rd direct TV pulled almost 600 out of my green dot money card without my consent but the funny thing is They didn't pay my ins and phone bill but i paid the ins and phone first on the 20th, i still don't have my money and i have no ins and a disconnect notice on my phone. now today i bought a new card from walmart so i would have a different card, they took my money that i needed to pay bills and when i went to activate it they said that i can't have a card cause i disputed direct tv and this is the same company i don't have a signed contract with, now the green dot card has my money and direct tv has my money about 1100 dollars worth not counting what all i have lost. now i think walmart, green dot, and Ge capitol bank should be held responsible, i would like to Get enough people to Get a class action suite against all three, my email is [email protected] when they steel all of are money who will shop at walmart or have money for the bank or order direct tv. something has to be done. green dot said they called and left a message if so with who and do you think if they would have told me that i couldn't have a card over there screw up to start with i dang sure wouldn't have handed them another 720.00 $ and i have all the proof.

• Ka
    kaycl Aug 29, 2012

My brother had a account with direct, and one time he was short on cash to make the payment, so my mother paid the bill with her debit card. Now months later, he stopped his service, because he had a previous balances he did not keep his 12 month agreement. cause he had no money in his account, they took over 1, 000.00 out of my mothers account. And she does not have direct tv. The bad thing is they just give you the run around. My mom lives off her social security, And for the last 3 days I have been trying to help. But no one at direct cares about you, only money. Does anyone know what action I can take. She never signed anything or granted permission to do this. thanks Kay

• Di
    Direct TV worst nightmare Aug 27, 2012

Don't do it! They haved had my billed messed up for over 14 months now! They say one thing and they charge another. I am getting out of this contract asap. I have spent over 14 hours on the phone with these people. If you have a lot of time and money then go ahead with the installation.

GL

• Di
    Direct TV worst nightmare Aug 26, 2012

Lawsuit against DTV! Tired of them? Let me know.

Chris04 Aug 13, 2012

Same complaint. Just cancelled service. Have been a customer with them since 2001 and finally got fed up. Was getting ready to send back my receivers when found out they took $967.00 from my account for early termination. Since when is it legal to go into someones account and take money without permission to pay for crappy service. I am really mad at directv and would be happy to sign up with a class action suit. Directv is nothing more than another Bank of America scam.

• Mi
    Misty123 Aug 07, 2012

First, I'd get in touch with the exhusband and see if he won't take care of it.If not call DTV and ask for a box to send their equipment back.Get a tracking # to prove they get the equipment. Do not what ever you do Do not give them your bank or cc#'s.

• Mi
    Misty123 Aug 07, 2012

The real reason they charged you a deposit is because they will have money to keep in the future if you decide to stop their service for whatever reason. you will not likely get the deposit back.

• He
    Heather Doll Aug 07, 2012

I really dont want to keep anything in mine so what the f*** does this story have to so with anything about walmart.

• Re
    Redfeather54 Jul 28, 2012

I am trying to find an attorney to sue DirectV. I cancelled my service on July13th. They agreed to send the boxes. We waited 10days and no boxes so my wife called. Still no boxes. I just emailed them and asked where the boxes are. They are trying to slap me with a $350 bill. They did not cancel the service when I called in on July13th. They did not cancel the service until the 2nd phone call. I want to find an attorney that could handle the law suit for deceptive trade practices and declatory relief. I am 70 yrs old. I think we should find an attorney that could take us all. It could be just as big as the Walmart Lawsuit! Does anyone know any attorney that can handle going up against them for all of us? I know we would all join that lawsuit. It could get that attorney some free publicity. I am thinking about calling all the news stations. Directv now has a fight.

• The Lidman Foundation Jul 27, 2012

Nice try Brenda, but you wrote this review so you'd have something to snark at.

• Ji
    JISCal2 Jul 27, 2012

I would either or write to their corporate headquarters to complain about how you were mistreated.

carla green Jul 27, 2012

I call to request new service and one of your representative told me the reason why I have to pay a deposit is because I don't pay my bills on time. That was rude and very disrespectful.

• Bo
    bobbiemurray Jul 25, 2012

I had service with Direct Tv and they sent me a shipping label back in 2008. I mailed the boxes back when I changed to Mediacom. They said they never received my boxes. I called three times and they did nothing and told me not their responsibility to track even though it was their label. I refused to pay and after a few months I heard nothing. This past weds 7/2012 I had service hooked up at a different address and they did the credit check etc under my husbands name. Direct Tv sent a Tech out he hooked it all up and then they told him after all this they could not hook it up cause I never sent in the boxes which I did and they are not any good today anyway. So this kid who was at my house from 430 til 10 pm last night had to uninstall it all and doesn't get paid for his work. Has three kids at home and a fiance' Really? Has anyone had this problem? I am going to get to the bottom of this and they still will not have my service when it is all said and done.

• Wi
    wifi8827 Jul 19, 2012

those stations will probably return eventually once the negotiations are done. Its just an example of greedy corporations at its finest. Until then, Directv is offering some free pay channels to customers. If you aren't getting them, call and ask.

• De
    DeborahL Jul 19, 2012

They have taken many of my favorite stations away with no notice or adjustment to my monthly bill. This is outrageous! Another reason why we need more regulations! Direct TV is taking advantage and broke the terms of my contract with no adjustment!!! They should be fined!

cay dua restaurant Jul 14, 2012

My exhusband was fired from my business but he didnt take his Direct Tv box with him. Direct Tv is sueing my business for having his box there. Please help me how to solve the matter. Thank you.

Carol Boden Jul 12, 2012

Direct TV, I would like to know how you can keep the same rate when we are not getting the 25 channels I enjoyed watching and now they are gone. I am not even getting the cloo channel anymore. I have been with this company for over 8 years. I have not complained when the signal was lost for over a week. I have not complained when your service people have ran the wires through my window and not under the flooring like it was suppose to be. Now I am when you blatantly charge for something we are not getting. I see in the fine print, a channel could change but not 25+. This is illegal. I want to know what you intend to do about it NOW. Carol Boden, VA

• Lo
    Lonzo Jul 02, 2012

Wow, we came so close to signing up with Direct TV. Fortunately, they messed up our order from the beginning. The salesperson had told us on the phone that a certain channel came with the package we had ordered. When we saw the guide, we saw that the channel did not come with the package as promised, so we cancelled before even signing up. Thank goodness.

• Ai
    Aimee Barrington Jun 30, 2012

I ordered service and wasn't not told I needed to have an area marked for the tech to install. So i had to reschedule. When i called to reschedule, i was told someone would call me in three days. No one called. I called again and was continuously directed to new numbers. Finally, i was told by a supervisor that I wouldn't be able to reschedule until literally a month later. (I found out my neighbor had a tech coming in two days later) I talked to four different people who told me it would take a month for me to have an installer come out - yet an installer came out two days later to my neighbors house. I canceled service. I tried to order them again, this time on the internet, which an agent guided me through each button to push to get the correct order. I wasn't supposed to be charged anything other than the original 20 bucks - yet they charged my card $154.20. I asked the agent why this was and he said he could no longer help me, I had to call customer service. I called customer service and the agent told me he would cancel the order and i wouldn't be charged. It's on my bank statement. A -154.20. I call and ask to speak with a supervisor again and explained my whole issue - that before i even ever have service with them, these are all the things i have run into. He explained that i would be refunded the money - and i explained that I have my car payment coming out tomorrow and this will put me in the negative. Then he proceeds with, "so you are saying you do not have the funds available to set up your service at this time". I say no, i do not because you guys took it - you have my money yet you still need to take 20 out again for me to order service? I ask for this supervisors supervisors name - he wouldn't give it to me and continued to tell me that he only had an address for corporate - no numbers or names for anyone for me to talk to about my issues.

• Ha
    Hangtough Jun 20, 2012

They did the same thing to me except they actually took $225.10 out of my checking account without authorization!

• MikeL DISH Jun 13, 2012

MsMichelle79,

I'd like to let you know that we'd love to have you apart of the DISH family as I came across your post! I'm always here if you have any questions about the service and would be more than happy to assist you if you wish to give us a try. Let me know or feel free to call us at [protected]!

• Sv
    Svibby Jun 10, 2012

My one year contract with Directv expired last month. When I called to cancel my service, Directv stated that it was a two year contract. And if I cancel they were going to bill me $20 a month starting in July 2011 to June 2012. I requested a copy of my signed contract and they stated they do not have the contract.

• Ms
    MsMichelle79 Jun 01, 2012

They are still doing this a year later. I wish I had seen these before I had signed up for directv. I never authorized Directv to do auto debits from my account, not even with my monthly bills. On January 17th, 2012 I called and paid my final bill with them. Told them I would be moving and calling back. On January 29th, 2012 I called back and they wanted to charge me $200 to move my services across town, because I was lacking about a month from being at my one year of service. I tried to get the lady to cut me a deal, and NOPE. So I said OK, well I am no longer in need of Directv's services, I will be switching to Dish Network. She asked if I was sure. YES! She said OK, is there anything else I can do for you? I said NO, she then ended the conversation. They had my new address because I had given it to her when I was trying to move my service, and my phone number never changed. She NEVER said anything to me about needing a cancelation confirmation number or anything about returning equipment. I have had all three receivers in their original boxes in my closet since. Today, June 1st, they debited my account $605! They never canceled my service and charged my card that I made that ONE TIME payment with back on January 19, 2012. My bank gave me their number. After going through 3 people a guy tells me if I ship them the three recievers (1 non HD dvr, and 2 regular non HD receivers) back to them they will credit all but $133.15 back within 30 days of receiving them. I said how about I take them back to Radio Shack where I got the service started to begin with, call them back so they can confirm with Radio Shack that I have returned everything-- in their original boxes -- and refund my money immediately! They said I can try. So I did, and nope. Radio Shack tried to help but Directv then insisted I ship them back directly to them. OH! And Directv also ran this charge through as a pre-authorized charge, when it fact it was never authorized. NICE Directv, what a way to do business!

• Ro
    robert ohl May 27, 2012

do not fall for the free move service, it automatically renews your contract!! also your next bill will be at least doubled!! they hit you with all kinds of charges for changing your programming service in the middle of a billing cycle..