State Farm Insurance / denied claim on hot tub

1 Fowlerville, MI, United States Review updated:

We had a storm during the winter that caused the motherboard on our hot tub to go. As a result, the pipes froze and cracked. We had a technician tell us that it was 'not repairable' and to submit it to our insurance for claim. State Farm sent a field tech (no experience necessary) to take pictures of the motherboard. Because the pictures of the motherboard did not show any burn marks, they denied our claim!

Let me see, storm happened, power went out, motherboard on hot tub went, pipes froze. Totally under our control, right?? Hmmmm... This was the first claim we ever persued in over 20 years with State Farm Insurance (believe me, we have written a lot of checks to State Farm) and this is the treatment we get.

Good Bye State Farm!

Comments

• In
      6th of Jul, 2011

the policy covers the named perils only. Hot tubs are considered personal property, as such they must suffer damage as a result of a covered peril. Simple break down, malfunction would of course not be covered. That would be like asking state farm to pay for your malfunctioning toaster or lawn mower? The resuling frozen pipe was not due to a covered loss and logically not covered. I truly wish that people who want someone to blame would take a few seconds read the policy that comes to your home every renewal period, ask questions if you do not understand. And take some intreats in protecting and maintaining your belongings.

• Mc
      17th of Jun, 2013

I was just denied by Allstate for the same thing. Our problem was a week long power outage of which we were not aware of to our northern Michigan vacation home due to a storm. A month after filing my claim with them, they denied it saying they do not cover pools or spas from freezing, no matter what the cause was. I was told that I should drain it and winterize it for the winter like a boat!!
    I have been a customer for 20 years with no claim history. My annual renewals only come with a declaration and abbreviated language, not the full 30 page policy !