Sears / Water Heater / poor service

1 Honolulu, HI, United States Review updated:

Called Sears 5:00 am on 5/5/09 for service on our water heater because no hot water. Sears sent service technician out on 5/6/09.
Technician left without repairing heater because did not have the parts, which will take 4 days to receive. So we, a family of 8 including 4 children will have to bath with cold water for 4 days.

Called Sears Service center to complain, but was transfered twice, finally ending to a recorded voice message.
We purchase all our appliances from Sears.

Sears, what happened to your customer service????????

Ju

Comments

• Co
      6th of May, 2009

Shame on them for not having every part for every water heater they've ever sold on hand at all times! Shocking!

That's sarcasm

1308 Clark St.
    Lancaster
    Pennsylvania
    Phone: 717-299-1299

I had an emergency when my water heater started leaking and I went to Sears and purchashed a new water heater that I was supposed to have installed as the first call of the day per the saleperson. They didn't come until 3 pm on the day of installation. I told them to be extremely careful when bringing the water heater into my basement because the washer and dryer were close to the door and I didn't want them to stratch either one of them. They moved all the furniture and installed the water heater but scratched the lid of my brand new front loader dryer that I paid over a grand for. I have made 8 phone calls to them and the insurance adjuster was supposed to come out and access the damage but never did. So I have a nice scratch in my lid. DON'T EVER BUY FROM SEARS, they came out not in any kind of uniforms like they show in the picture but kids fresh out of school with all kinds of piercings. They never even bothered to follow up on my complaint after over 8 phone calls. I have an attorney looking in to it at this point.

6th of Mar, 2010
    Sears / Water Heater - Service
    Sears
    Valley Stream
    New York

On Wednesday February 17 my water heater flooded my basement causing severe damage to my laundry area. I called to make an appointment with your service department and I was told someone would come between 8-12am. Being that both my husband and I work obviously someone had to take off to wait for a serviceman from Sears. By 1 in the afternoon no one had showed. When we called the service department we were told someone would come between 1-5pm. Giving these large time spans does not give individuals who need to work any grace time. At 5 pm we got a call that he was “on his way.” Only to be called back and be told that he needed to go back to his first job. We did not get a serviceman until 6pm in which he stayed for 10 minutes and stated it is not the Water Heater but our pipes. He charged us $140 for this service and $102 for a “permit”. We also took out a service contract (#07403953160008) for any future problems.

Fast forward now to the next day, another day that needed to be taken off for a plumber. The plumber now tells us that it is not the pipes but the top of the water heater which is corroding. And, we now have to pay him $200 for his service. We spent the rest of the afternoon trying to get someone to explain to us how this was misdiagnosed but got no answers and just the “runaround.” My husband had to speak to several different customer service reps before he could even get a next appt. Hours on the phone with no solution. There was a lack of knowledge on what happened, a lack of courtesy and a lack of professionalism. Finally we were told that our particular Water Heater would take until Thursday to arrive from the warehouse because it was not in stock. That meant that with two kids under the age of three I would not have any hot water for over a week. I could not give my children proper baths, wash any laundry or dishes.

There was no number that linked us with a manager who could offer a solution. When we said we were willing to pay for a different Water Heater because we did not want to put the family through distress we were given the runaround again. So we dealt with it and boiled water all day for nine days in order to run our home with two babies.

Finally when Thursday did come the wrong Water Heater was sent. Yet another day taken off to get the wrong product. On Friday someone was supposed to come with the correct Water Heater but because of “snow” they did not. My husband found his way to work as did many shop owners and other professions. How come Sears get’s to take a day off when other people are suffering? Oh wait, Sears no longer actually send people from their store. You now contract out to local repair companies. So, why couldn’t anyone be sent by the afternoon when the snow had stopped and the roads had been cleared? It is not an unreasonable request