[Resolved] Sears Kenmore / refrigerator & extended warranty

We purchased the Kenmore Elite side-by-side in 2004, and have renewed the MPA every year since (good thing we did). FWIW, all major appliances here were purchased at Sears-Electrolux stove, Whirlpool washer and dryer, Bosch dishwasher, and I have been a Sears major appliance customer for 25 years and in 4 states.

The Kenmore fridge has been a lemon, requiring 1-3 service calls per year, most but not all service issues being for the icemaker. The icemaker continues to malfunction, at several points freezing over and then dumping water on the floor, which will require the replacement of the hardwood flooring in that part of our kitchen.

On November 26, shortly before Thanksgiving, I reported a new problem. The fan that circulates the air within the refrigerator started emitting a loud buzzing noise, discernible throughout the house. Besides being an annoyance, our concern was that the sound presaged the death of the appliance on Thanksgiving day.

The bright side was that the Sears CS rep who took the complaint told me that this was my 4th issue with the unit in 12 months, and that I qualified for replacement under Paragraph 8 of the MPA (who knew?). All it required was confirmation by the service technician. On November 30, Sears technician Stefan arrived for the service call, HEARD the refrigerator noise before entering the kitchen, and confirmed that there was a problem. I also showed him he malfunctioning ice maker unit, which he confirmed as broken and replaced. Stefan also said that as this was my 4th service call in 12 months, that I should begin the replacement process immediately by contacting Sears CS the next day.

So far so good, right? The replacement ice maker that Stefan installed was defective (photo attached). The wire overflow indicator that signals a full tray was broken, out of the box. And to add insult to injury, Sears CS rep Tomika (sp?) told me in no uncertain terms that I did not qualify for a replacement, as I had not had 4 identical, single ticket issues within 12 months. Apparently, repeated trips for the same issue count as one service ticket. This policy was confirmed by Social Media CS rep Zack (sp?).

So here are the issues:
A Kenmore Elite product with well documented service problems and 6 years of coverage under MPAs.
An assurance of replacement by a Sears representative, confirmed by a Sears service technician, due to 4 service calls within a 12 month period, per P.8 in the MPA.
A reneging of this promise by Sears CS reps
Installation of a defective part by a Sear service technician, requiring yet another service call
A still-broken Kenmore appliance, resting comfortably in front of the floorboards it ruined.,
Upon reflection, it makes you wonder why I would want another Kenmore appliance. But after paying over $700 over six years for the MPA I feel that it is incumbent upon Sears to stand by this agreement and their products. To date, that has not happened.

Sears Kenmore

• Resolution statement

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Dec 02, 2010

Dear Bill in Atlanta,

My name is Scott and I'm part of the Sears Social Media Support Team. I'm so sorry to hear of all the trouble your refrigerator has caused. Our MPA service contracts are designed to make the repair process easier to bear and less uncomfortable, but it still sounds as if we have let you down. I know how inconvenient and down right difficult it can be to be without a fridge. We'd like to help you with this issue. At your convenience please contact my office via email at [protected]@searshc.com so that we can assist with resolving this issue. Please provide us a contact number and the phone number the fridge was purchased under and we will call you at your convenience. In addition, include your screen name (Bill in Atlanta) in the email so we can reference to your case.

Scott J.
    Social Media Support Team

Comments

• Mo
      2nd of Dec, 2010

thats BS, I'm a sears employee and we replace products for alot less problems, call 188sears and tell them whats going on ALSO make sure you write down EVERYONES name. I would also go into a sears and see if a manager can help you and talk to them about the MPA