Rogers / cell phone scam calls

1 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

They have called a few times. Robocaller that does not answer to prompts. A local number (area code 613) shows as the caller but when I return the call the person denies having called me. It has happened 3 or 4 times and each time the call return number is different. I find it disturbing that Rogers allows this to happen and wonder if there is some law being contravened by calling me (my number is on the National Do Not Call List), Using someone's private number as a fake call back number, and robocalling without providing proper identification and access information.

Co
Feb 22, 2018

Comments

• Ro
      27th of Feb, 2018

Hey confidential444444,

I can certainly understand your concern! These days, you have to be ever vigilant when receiving a suspicious call/text/email, in order to safeguard yourself from being a victim of fraud. Based on your post, it's very likely these are spoofed numbers. Spoofing refers to a spam call or text that’s sent by a third party, using technology to make it look like it came from a particular number by changing the calling line identification.

I would recommend reporting such incidents to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.

Contact details: