Mcdonalds / online site lies

1 49 Vicotria RoadLondon, England, Surrey, United Kingdom Review updated:

I recently applied to join McDonalds as I had moved back to London from living down on the coast and 'hey' I figured I needed a job after taking 5 years out of work, so after selling my place and moving back to jolly old London, spent most of my money in rent living in a flat seeking full time employment, then the money started to run out and I got more and more desperate with looking for employment. Started posting out as many C.V's as I could, then as luck would have it I landed a job working for the Blue Arrow agency. Great, but the bad news was the job was temporary and lasted three weeks after which time the manager came back from a sabbatical (sick leave) and patted me on the back "thanks for all your hard work but we wont be needing you any longer"

So then I lost the flat as I couldn't keep paying my rent had to declare myself homeless and move into a homeless shelter. As a last ditch attempt to secure full time work I applied online at the McDonalds website. Sat through a good 30 minutes worth of multiple choice questions about how youd handle different situations most of which anyone with an IQ over that of a 16 year old can probably read between the lines of anyway. You can see what their asking when they ask questions like;

'Your faced with a huge que at the checkout and our on the till, at the back you see a lady struggling with her shopping and three kids'

Do you;
a) Tell her to leave and try again later
b) Take her order and ask if shed like to take a seat and you'll bring her order over for her
c) Ignore her problems and carry on

So I answered all of them to the best of my ability which to my mind was near enough the 100% mark and the site informed me a representative from McDonalds would be in touch within a week by phone.

I then waited a whole week, received no phone call, but got back an e-Mail which stated, due to our high standards of recruitment we regret to inform you your application has been unsuccessful.

Why? Is my age a factor due to the fact I am nearly 40? If so does the manager at the outlet I applied to join feel threatened I might end up doing his job?

By telling me I was unsuccessful are McDonalds telling me the answer to some of those questions should have been; a) "Tell her to go away and try again later!" or c) "Ignore her problems and carry on?"

I think the sad truth is the company is biased to the address I am staying at due to the fact it's a homeless hostel. But that doesn't excuse the fact I was lied to and never got a bloody phone call...

It just goes to show regardless of whether you've been out of work because someone in your family died and you took a few years off working whilst spending a load of money, when you try to get back into the swing of earning a decent days wages, big firms will just knock you back into the gutter!

Comments

• Mr
      14th of Sep, 2008

I wonder if it has to do with the last five years that you didn't work. I wouldn't hire an unemployed bum either.

14th of Sep, 2008

Well when you've got 94k in the Bank do you see a reason to continue working?

A bum, hardly, I spent 2 of those three years in higher ed getting an NVQ at level 3 in computers and technology,

the other 3 where spent living and working in a boatyard, I lived on a 33ft boat on the kent coast. Arc welding, Plasma cutting and angle grinding, serious hard work which I seriously doubt the kids that work behind a McDonalds counter have ever had to do a day in their life. I used to earn 60 to 70 a day, I didnt have to work I just did it to keep myself busy but that kind of work also sadly doesn't last.

Of course McDonalds would know all that if they actually took the time to phone.

14th of Sep, 2008

I should have stayed in the country, but hey this is what I get for moving back to the city thinking I would be better off... I am going to head back down that way looking for work, ironic I moved back to improve the quality of my life and I find I've shot myself in the foot, I should have stayed where I was at least people knew who to call if they needed any welding work done.. See I can weld but no I don't have a welding ticket. If you want to hire a ticketed welder go right ahead, just hope you have deep pockets!

14th of Sep, 2008

Where'd the money go? Well I am 6'2 and can bench press 150lbs with one arm... Living is expensive, it sure is nice when the money's there or when the moneys rolling in but when it's not life's not so easy, you have bills to pay, Gas, Electric oh and lets not forget council tax.

I had five years of Working on my term's not when someone wanted me to be there at 7am in the morning, I arranged my time table and if I wanted a day off I could afford to take one, these are the advantages of being self employed.

Thinking of enrolling on a computer course to enhance your work prospects, let me stop you before you even start. Despite being highly qualified and skilled with computers I have got nothing but knock backs from most of the recruitment agencies with rubbish like "Sorry we're looking for people with prior I.T experience and an MSc in information technology" it really is no wonder to me why they cant find people, when you know about computers like the back of your hand.

My system specs;

Osirus@ebox:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "model name"
    model name : Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU 410 @ 1.46GHz
    Osirus@ebox:~$ uname -a
    Linux ebox 2.6.24-epd #1 SMP Sun Mar 2 12:20:57 GMT 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

How do people gain the required experience if they cant even get the job in the first place???

Brute muscle and metal work or mechanical engineering, yes you can find work doing that, by under cutting all the other people out there doing the same thing... But who's going to call you up about it when you've only worked for a handful of people and you aren't working for a firm?

14th of Sep, 2008

The only reason I am a bum is because companies like McDonalds are keeping me in the gutter and preventing me from finding a job.

14th of Sep, 2008

I wonder if this board is susceptible to MySQL overflows and the old functionName=NULL trick.

It's not my intellect thats lacking, its their recruitment teams... But 'hey' in a way I am glad they turned me down, I dont care if I have to spend the next five years on welfare, its your taxes I'm spending. After all who do you think is paying for me to live at a homeless hostel, you are, the tax payer.

Me I want out of this place and moved into my own flat again so I can start earning money and paying my own way!

I am glad they turned me down, I would have probably walked out anyway if thats their attitude and from what I read about the levels of their supposed customer service I already know more than enough to say I don't want the job now.. Not after they taint it and throw it back in my face!

• Sc

Right on!

• Te
      14th of Sep, 2008

I can agree with 95% of what your saying, I been self employed myself a few years back and getting back into work is hard, someone had the cheek to ask me if I had been in prison!

• Ae
      29th of Aug, 2011

You where probably too late with your application, you know there is other people who look for jobs too.