Kohl's / credit card rip off

US Review updated:

Consumers Beware! Look at your Kohl's Bill and make sure you are not paying for there account ease program. I was, and never agreed too. My prove is the program is for those who loose there job, I did in January but still payed the bill on time, all the way until I ws re-employed in April. My situation was what the program was set up for, so why did I not take advantage of what I had been paying for for years. The answer is simple, I DID NOT KNOW I WAS PAYING FOR IT!!! When I finaly realized and contacted Kohl's, I was denied because it had been over the 180 days alowed. I complained to the BBB and Kohl's respones was that I agreed to the program back in May of 09 when I signed up. The problem with that is I have been a card holder since 05', again they have no idea what they are doing.

Comments

• Ai
      Aug 17, 2009

We've now adopted an easier to understand Credit Application Process, as of a month or two ago. I know personally that the Kohl's Account Ease was something that wasn't explained in the original application process, and was something that was often just agreed to, without the consumer knowing what they were accepting. Most cashiers and people soliciting credit didn't see fit to explain it, or often didn't realize it was there.

I'm sorry that you were paying for something you didn't knowingly agree to, but it was on the application sheet, explained if one took the time to read it. I'm sorry that you didn't have someone who cared enough to explain it to you when you signed up.

• Da
      Oct 27, 2009

Account ease was added to my account without my knowledge as well. As a result I have canceled my Kohl's card and will no longer be shopping there. I just can't trust them.

• Le
      Jan 23, 2010

"Account Ease Premium"? What is this charge on my statement? You'd better believe that if this does not stop I will be returning my torn up Kohl's card and never shopping there again. I started shopping at Kohl's after Mervyn's closed, but if this shoddy extra fee is not stopped, I'll find a new store.

• Fe
      May 07, 2010

I just found the "account sleaze" charge on my card too. It's a 1.6% charge for every $ spent there, small enough to slip by most customers. I HATE feeling like I just caught a friend taking bills from my wallet!

And spare me the crap about it being in the service agreement. Kohls knows damn well that not a single customer is going to sit there in the checkout line and read 10 pages of mircoprint legalese. It's a basic transaction - Kohls offers credit, and the customer agrees to pay it back with interest. Anything that is slipped into the agreement to separate a customer from their money is dishonest and scornful, even if it is legal.

May 17, 2010

[censor], Fed_Up_at_Crooks. That part about it being in the service agreement? It's right in front of you. In bold print, one of the very, very first things on the service agreement. If you can't take the time to read what you're signing for, then you're not allowed to complain.

• Aidan - That's BS! I opened my account in 2006 and was not charged this "Account Ease Premium" until June 2009. I caught it today - in 2010! I called the customer service line and they told me that it could have been added by the cashier or through some automated service - both of which I did not do. I never signed a new agreement with Kohls authorizing them to charge this fee on my account after my initial agreement. Moreover, the person on the phone could not answer my question as to how it was added. Yes, the amounts are minute - but it is fraud nonetheless! I will make sure Kohls takes off all those charges!

May 23, 2010

Mariah, I can understand you being angry, then. I tend to agree, it is crappy that they didn't start charging it until June of 2009. One thing to keep in mind? Right around then was when we started running our credit card through Chase, rather than whatever we were using before. I remember there being some sort of new agreement, but I didn't pay it much mind. I think you're completely justified in being angry, and they should take it off of your card.

• Thank you, Aidan! I am glad you agree. I just hope Kohls customer service also agrees and takes the charges off. I am waiting for a letter from Kohls customer service to tell me how they will handle my case.

• Me
      Nov 19, 2010

Did everyone start getting this Ease thing in 2009? That's when mine started and like many others I missed it too. I am still waiting a Second time for proof that I signed up for this. Sounds like this was a planned scam by Kohls to make money off of their charge card customers. 21.9% interest must not be enough for them.

• Gd
      Jan 09, 2011

I just spent 3 months having Chase fix an error on my credit report. Initially, they sent me numerous letters saying that they were "unable to fix the information." I gave them proof that it was wrong and they still wouldn't fix it. Finally it is fixed. Incidentally, this is the same company that Kohl's uses for their credit offers. HORRIBLE COMPANY!!! Beware of Chase issued credit. They will do anything to rip you off. This means adding random account services that you do not authorize or jumping your interest rate to about 29% when they see that you are trying to pay off an account. Crooks! I cancelled both accounts and will never do business with J.P Morgan Chase or any affiliate.

• Bu
      Jan 17, 2012

I have been a member since 8/08 and actually called after my first or second statement because I caught it. I was told I had checked the box, etc. Now, I just noticed it AGAIN, because there are already 2012 fees on my statement in January! Yes, I should've caught it far sooner, but I usually know i made a large purchase if I did, so I just pay it. Turns out they never stopped it. Customer service credited me this months and last, and cancelled it, but I have to contact the Account Ease program tomorrow to see if there is anything further they can do. I am not impressed and very prepared to cancel the card if they don't fix it. I don't even know how much it totals over 4 years! I can only see 2011&12. I wouldn't miss the card anyway, all the perks are available to the public now anyway, so its an extra bullet on my credit report for no added bennies! And their return service is shady.

• Te
      Mar 26, 2012

I just noticed this sneaky charge on my bill as well. I called and "Kathy" promised to remove it and refund the charges. If this happens as promised, I will continue to be a loyal Kohls customer. Otherwise, I will cancel the card. Time will tell. Since I really like Kohls, I hope they are good by their word.

• Co
      Dec 28, 2012

They are sneaky crooks. This fee is added without you knowledge. Even the store doesnt know of this such fee. I love how they say it was agreed upon when I opened the accont. But the matter is the fee started showing up three years later. Why are they so quick to remove the charges if the card holder agreed upon them? its another quick money maker. I lost all respect for kohls. And there merchandise is so over priced as it is. Even with the 30% coupon, its the same price if you bought the same item at walmart or target. If you still have this card, get rid of it quick!

• Un
      Jan 25, 2013

I am trying to refiance my house. I put $300 on my card, and paid it in full, at the store in two weeks. I have paperless statements, so I never knew that they charged me this fee. Turns out, I went 60 days without paying it, and it showed up on my credit report. This ruined my chances at refinancing at a great rate... and I have (had) excellent credit. I hope I can find a legal way to hold them responsible. If I do, I'll pass it along to everyone here.

• Ki
      Mar 30, 2014

Wow... Just saw a $3.47 charge on my statement and called and found out about this sleazy program that I have been enrolled in since 2011. They don't know how I was enrolled and I shared that I simply used my ss# at checkout since my card went dormant from non usage. I was handed the application after my checkout was complete. Their department said they no longer offer this program and that over 10 months I paid $39+ in fees...yet I rarely carry a balance. I was polite and asked when I could expect the credit on my account and was told Kohls would do a 30 day investigation and that I would receive a letter explaining this and would receive full credit. I expect Kolhls will do as they say as they are a superior retailer. I will monitor this and if I am not satisfied I will pursue an assault with the FCC. Kerry

• Ni
      Jul 01, 2015

They tell you they will remove the account ease and then it reappears. I closed my account and I am trying to pay the crap off. Kohls stores are thieves and liars.

They "lowered "my bill on the phone and then sent the bill to me with no changes. I called and they told me the guy made a mistake. They had never even closed my account. I had to "close" it again! Here I am six months later and that damn account ease reappeared! I am sitting here on hold. Hate that place.

Feb 06, 2016

A class action lawsuite has been filed against Kohls for these charges, here's the link.

I'll be signing up to be a part of this lawsuit and I will NEVER shop at Kohl's again!

• Am
      Jul 28, 2017

@Annie1010 I am representing Plaintiffs in the class action case against Kohl's . Please contact me directly if you would like more information on the case. Thank you.

Angela Edwards
    Law Office of Angela Edwards
    East Longmeadow, MA 01028
    [protected]
    [protected]@charter.net

• Du
      Jul 10, 2016

You sign up for account ease on a yes or no question when you first open your account. You likely did not realize that you had checked yes (or what you were saying yes to) on your initial application. You can have them switch your preference after the fact, but there is no lawsuit here.