Kohl's Credit Cardusurious late fee

R

Just in case anyone is tempted to apply for a Kohl's card to get a discount on merchandise, beware! My husband paid our $57.00 balance one day late, and their "normal" late fee is more than 50% of your balance. Their customer service operators confirm this "with a straight face"! I will certainly NEVER shop at a Kohl's store again. I have paid their ursurious fine and canceled my card.

I wish I had known what kind of a company I was dealing with. I hope I help someone else out there avoid this dishonest store.

• Di
    dirtycuban1211 Mar 04, 2010

Well then...

1. Don't pay your charge late, perhaps? It's your fault the money didn't get to us in time. Your fault alone.

2. Yes, there are late fees. And late fees suck. Welcome to real life. Credit card companies will charge you late fees, and they are always pretty high. Refer to comment 1 to resolve this issue.

3. I'm glad to see that due to your own mistake, you are "never shopping in kohl's again". Good, we don't need you. $57 is nothing in the grand scheme of things. And I certainly prefer customer's with brains.

Sincerely,
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Kohl's Employee

• Ai
    Aidan May 17, 2010

Um...that's not dishonest. You knew getting into the card that there were terms and conditions. Kohl's is not to be held responsible for your lack of ability to read them, or your lack of ability to pay on time. No one likes late fees, but they're there for a reason.

• Ho
    HonestAberson123 Dec 09, 2010

First of all "dirtycuban1211" I doubt you can do math let alone work a register, you are probably a dead beat unemployed loser. Get a life. Second of all your "$57 is nothing in the grand scheme of things." quote is completely WRONG, it couldn't matter more. Customer retention is one of THE biggest reasons companies fail. She has no doubt told countless people about how BAD Kohl's is... You sir have no idea what you are talking about, hence your handle of "dirtycuban"

• Di
    dirtycuban1211 Jan 19, 2011

Let's see...

1. You're taking my name seriously? It's a god damn screen name. It could be anything, ex. "iheartpuppies21", "roflcopterman", or "jesus666". ANYTHING. It doesn't matter, and that being said, I ask you "What's in a name?"

2. I'm not unemployed. I actually still work for Kohl's as a cashier/customer service/wherever they want to put me on any given day. You name a department, and I've worked in it.

3. Is customer retention important? Yes, it most certainly is...i never said it wasn't. What i said was that we need customers with brains (You know, that gray matter that should reside inside your skull?). Whenever you apply for a credit card, read everything on the sheet you are signing, ask questions, do what you need to do to understand it all. Signing blindly leads to the above situation.

4. Countless isn't countless. She probably told a few people, who most likely didn't care enough to pass on the message. It's not like Kohl's killed her dog; we simply charged her a late fee. ALL CREDIT CARDS HAVE LATE FEES. Welcome to real life :)

Sincerely,
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Kohl's Employee

Valarie D Feb 22, 2011

The credit card phone center employees have the SAME attitude the defensive "friendly neighborhood Kohl's employee" has here. This is absolute usury of the public. Even though my January minimum payment was only $15, I overpaid by $50 for my $100 bill in January, and was STILL hit with a $16 late fee in February when I missed my February 1st payment date. The phone center employees and managers acted as if EVERYONE on the planet lives off of credit card and should have their special "monthly payment credit rules" memorized. I spent thousands of dollars a year at Kohl's before. I will NEVER shop at Kohl's again. BOYCOTT KOHL'S AND EVERY BUSINESS LIKE THEM.

Valarie D Feb 22, 2011

Seriously no one has to shop at KOHL'S either. I can take my money and spend it ANYWHERE I want. KOHL'S credit card is a whole bunch of bull. The only reason people get it is for the silly little discounts KOHL'S advertises, which, when you analyze the millions of angry consumer complaints against KOHLS credit for their fraudulent and usurious behevaior, KOHLS department store should be going out of business soon. Consumers DON'T have to be treated like garbage. We don't owe your company OUR business. Your little credit card discount incentives are not a genuine Visa/Mastercard/American Express-- they're suppressed to be building BRAND LOYALTY/STORE LOYALTY, not pushing customers away. I have cards for other department store and boutiques who know how to treat their customers like gold and not swine. Get over yourselves. YOU are not a bank.

Valarie D Feb 22, 2011

"supposed, " not "supressed" (spellcheck errror)

• Cr
    creolehint May 04, 2011

I use to work for Kohls and the Kohls charge card is a bunch of ### and BTW Kohl's overprice their items just so you can apply for one and get the discount so you can feel like your saving a lot of money and to dirtycuban your just a minum wage worker don't treat a minum wage job like a career because you can go anywhere and make minum wage and believe it Kohls will turn on their employees in a heartbeat Kohls is a dishonest and unloyal company

• Cr
    creolehint May 18, 2011

Go away Kohl's Mascot A.K.A Bella777

• Fr
    freddy nb May 23, 2011

I have sent a letter to the Collections Department explaining the situation. I have heard nothing back. I have emailed with customer service they keep referring me back to Collections. I get several harassing calls from the Collections Department every day. I explain the situation and ask about a reply to the letter I have sent and none of these callers has done a single thing except to say that on their records I owe late fees . These calls are a form of harassment meant to entice me to pay late fees I do not owe. The complete lack of response to my letter and requests to address my concerns about the late fees indicates that Kohl's is scamming people with false late fees and harassing calls. If you are an honest Kohl's employee you should be aware that your employer is engaging their employees to scam people, which makes the employee a part of illegal activities. Raise this with your employer and call your union.