[Resolved] Empire Today / terrible salesman

PA, United States

Have done business w / empire before, but mid march 2013. Had a salesman come over to give us quotes. Guy didn't look very professional at all, almost didn't let him in. Came in and started measuring carpet, then we sat down. Hit is mega highball, about $5, 000 for carpet in 3 rooms and discounted it right off the bat about 40%. Still way too high (This is what they always do, it's business). Salesman became agitated when we wouldn;t take his inflated quote, said he'd make a call see what he could do (Again, another tactic they use). Came back with about another 40% off, still way too high, not even close to what we had last time. When we told him the prices we got last time he flat out said "no, you didn;t" and stopped just short of calling us liars. Then said "i'll bet you $1000 bucks you didn;t get that deal" (I should have taken his bet because we have the paperwork). Became very disrespectful to the point when I wrapped it up, said no, and sent him packing. We called empire and complained about the crappy service, they said someone would get back to us in couple of days. Still no word! They seem to hire freelance salesman to sell their products, which concerns me as to the kind of people they are sending to peoples houses. How much of a background check or investigation does empire do into it's salesman, maybe I should do more next time. This guy had his own business card that was "his name, llc". Apparently he doesn't even work for empire, he's an independent contractor, and apparently that's how empire does it. After this spooky experience I will never do business with empire again. I'd highly recommend getting quotes from better-known businesses before considering empire. They may be cheap, but sometimes you get what you pay for. Or don't pay for.

• Resolution statement

• Empire Today Customer Care's Response, Mar 18, 2013

Thank you for making us aware of your concerns with your sales appointment. It is never our intention to make our customers feel pressured or uncomfortable, and we would like to learn more about your experience with the sales representative. We would also like the opportunity to better explain our all-inclusive pricing, as well as our price match guarantee. Unfortunately, we cannot locate your account with the information that you posted here. Please call us at 888-588-2315 x 4195 or email [protected]@emprietoday.com, and we will follow up with you.

Mar 14, 2013