[Resolved] Empire Today - Flooring / laminate flooring 9mm cannot be replaced

1 NationWide?, United States

We initially had laminate floors and rugs installed in our home in September 2017. In June 2018, we had a water leak in the kitchen which affected the laminate in the galley kitchen. We called Empire to help with replacing the laminate. The salesman came out in June 2018, provided us with a new bid ($1, 300), stated the new laminate may be a slightly different color so he suggested that we also replace the entry hall laminate (we agreed) and scheduled installation for July 16, 2018. The installer, Eduardo, first pulled up and took the perfectly good laminate in the entry hall, which was not affected by the water leak. He then started on the kitchen but stated that the laminate Empire had previously installed was 9 mm thick and he had 8 mm thickness, so we would need to do the entire kitchen, dining room and office area all over again at the cost we had paid for in September 2017 ($3, 000). When we objected because the prior installation was less than a year old, he said we would have to contact Empire.
When we contact Empire, I got a complete run around. Some people said it could be done (I can look up the names of who I talked to), another person called and said they would give me $300 off the job, Joseph called to see what the problem was but when I called back Joseph no longer worked for the company. I finally reached Todd [protected]) in installation on August 23 and he was very nice and told me he would see what he could do about correcting this situation. Unfortunately, Todd failed to act. I have text messages from Todd on 8/23- thank you for the pictures, 8/31-sorry it's taking so long, hard to find materials, 9/11-still looking for materials, 9/19-coporate found the materials, just need to complete paperwork. I will notify you with ETA, 10/22-, an apology for not answering my 10/8, 16, 19 messages because he had a death in the family and would contact me on 10/24 - he never did.My complaints: in less than a year, Empire no longer carried any product that would fit with my 9-month-old flooring. I would need to do the entire job $3.000 job all over again. We could have used the perfectly good laminate that was removed from my entry hall and used that to go into the kitchen had the installer stopped for a moment to think about it. Empire does not stand by their products. In less than a year they no longer carried the product they sold and had no reasonable alternate. I have been strung along for 4 months with false expectations of having the floor repaired. I have tried another flooring company, but they do not carry Empires materials. So, here I am, with a floor that look s awful and there is no reasonable way to repair it and Empire is just full of false results. I believe they should have had materials to repair my floor or at least advised us that if anything went wrong they could not help us. I would NEVER recommend Empire to anyone I know. Now I am stuck and have no idea what to do to repair my kitchen galley floor.

• Resolution statement

• Empire Today Customer Care's Response, Oct 26, 2018

Barbara, this is not the experience that we expect for our customer, and we regret to hear this. We've located your order, and we'll be in touch with you shortly to discuss your concern, thank you.

Ba