Complaints & Reviews

[Resolved] empty promises/ horrible customer service

I just want to warn consumer not to jump into buying carpet from Empire. Diane F. Hunter was the biggest swindler we've ever come across. She pressured us into making a decision to get the discount that Empire advertise. They advertise buy 1 room and get 2 rooms free but it's carpet that you don't want and limited to 2 types only. Bait and Switch. We gave it a benefit of the doubt and said okay...maybe the quality of work will be great. WELL...we were promised same day install and the installer told us that Diane entered the other as a 2 day install...all in all, the experience with Empire was HORRIBLE. What a regret and a lesson learned.

• Updated by Company Response · Jun 01, 2009

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience, and our team would like to work with you to explore a resolution. Please contact us at [email protected] so that we may be able to assist. You can also visit our online customer center at http://www.empiretoday.com/Customer-Service.

• El
    Elaine May 29, 2009

It's me again. Diane finally returned my call. Explained to me why things happened the way it did and it was a total misunderstanding. Over all, yes, I'm dissapointed with the timely matter of the installation and over due call back, BUT after the work was done, all I can say is that Empire turned a frown into a smile. We can only pray that the carpets remains beautiful as it is today for years to come.

[Resolved] overall bad experience

We had to get carpet for our stairs and had a guy from Empire Today come out for the free in-home installation. I should have known it was going to be bad when the salesman sat down and started telling me his life story (all about his hip replacements, his wife, how long they had been married, etc.) Well, I just wanted to get down to business and have him do the measurements and show me the carpet samples. Meanwhile, I'm holding my crying 2 month old baby and it didn't seem to faze him at all. He was all chatty.

He took measurements, showed me the samples, and assured me that there was a 7 year warranty on the carpet.

First, the carpet selection was very limited. Second, he failed to mention that nylon is preferable to polyester on stairs because it's more durable. Third, he quoted me a price of $1100+, took an "automatic 10%" off, then asked me what I wanted to pay. I was like, what? So then I said $800, and then he called his manager, and it went back and forth a little, and finally they agreed. Who does business like this??? I felt jipped, and also like I should have asked for $500, maybe they would have agreed.

It made me feel uncomfortable, so I went to Home Depot the next day to get a better understanding of different carpets and prices, and learned immediately that you should always get nylon on stairs and NEVER get polyester. Also, he told me that carpet on stairs is never under warranty because it's such a high traffic area.

I called the Empire salesman the next day to find out whether my order was for nylon or polyester, and he laughed and asked me, "What does it matter?" and said he didn't know, he had to look it up. Well, no doubt, it was polyester, so I cancelled the order (which took over 30 min because I was on hold for so long...)

Long story short... the salesman didn't know what he was talking about, and was condescending, and their practice of haggling made me uncomfortable. I'm going to Home Depot or Lowe's or some other local carpet store and am hoping for a better experience!

• Updated by Company Response · May 11, 2009

Thank you for bringing your installation experience to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience, and our team would like to work with you to explore a resolution. Please contact us at [email protected] so that we may be able to assist. You can also visit our online customer center at http://www.empiretoday.com/Customer-Service.

[Resolved] no call back

My father (who is elderly) called empire today to carpet the whole house.Three bedrooms, Living room & den, stairs(13).I set up an apt for the sales rep to come & show samples.I had gotten other quotes from reputible carpet stores.When the rep came he was very professional (I thought)he bought many sampels & all was going well, until he started to write up the estimate & he forgot the small walkway going to the kitchen, and then proceeded to write another estimate for that small piece of carpet.3x4 feet.The estimate was$ 94.95.I couldn't believe he was charging me for his mistake, but after being there for almost 3 hours I agreed to pay for it.The rep quoted me a price of 3, 700.00.I said no it was way too much, he called his "Supervisor" & dickered the price down to 3, 500.I said no to that.Itold him that I picked the cheapest carpet how could it be that much, he then called his supervisor again& dickered it down to 3, 200.00.I agreed only because we were selling the house & needed it to be done the next day.I do believe this was a scam, you usually don't call your boss to check & see if you can take a lesser amt of money, if that is the true measurments & price.I feel cheated for my dad by this company & will never recomend them to anyone.I must say the installers were VERY nice & took there time with the installation.PS.We paid cash!!!Don't ever do that.!!!Hase makes WASTE>>>>>I have tried to call them & I get a message machine.This was done in March.09.I will keep trying if not I guess it's court time...!!!

• So
    somerespectplz May 11, 2009

They are trained to get you with the highest price possible, then if they see your not happy, they knock it down.
    The bigger the price, the more money they put in their pocket. I know someone who paid over $40.00 a square yard for a cheap polyester, not realize that s what it added to. I wish I could of warned them first. They are rip offs big time. And the foreigners they hire are hired before hard working Americans, and they get incentives and a tax break! Why? It's just not fair at all.

[Resolved] damaged doors due to carpet installation

Empire installed carpet in my entire home several years ago, when I wanted to update my bedroom carpet. I contacted Empire again, did not receive the advertised 60% off, the installer removed my doors now one door will not latch in it's frame (fire safety hazard), so unable to lock my bathroom door, out sourced installer returned to my home and reviewed the problem then stated "I am not a door professional", said he would contact his manager I have not heard from him or my sales person Robert Bilek, #QA3 (order #035793) after several calls to both. I contacted your customer service line [protected] rec'd a ref #[protected] and still no action. I am very disappointed with Empire I paid $2082.00 for carpet in one bedroom and now I have no privacy in my master bathroom. The good feelings once held for Empire has changed. Please contact me ASAP. My next course of action will be the BBB, Ripoff Website and/or Indiana Secy of State.

C. Rainey
Indianapolis, IN

• Updated by Company Response · May 11, 2009

Empire Today is currently researching your concerns. We always want to ensure that you have the best possible experience, and a customer care team member will contact you directly within one business day to work toward a resolution. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

• Je
    JEANNETTE HARRISON Feb 11, 2013

Hello I am Jeanette daughter of Joseph and Martha Harrison I have called you2 days IN A Row no reply call bac yet!765 649-9915 The installers NEED TO return and FIX THE PROBLEM. THE SALES REP arrived Carpet was selected By Me, Dad and Mom then SALE REP ASKED INSTEAD OF THE OVAL SHAPE AT THE FRONT DOOR AROUND THE TILE WITH THE SILVER TRIM WOULD THEY RATHER HAVE IT SQUARE WITH GOLD TRIM AND DAD ANSWERED YES ! SO THE ORDER WAS FOR THE INSTALLERS TO SQUARE THE FLOOR OFF AT THE FRONT DOOR AROUND! With Installation Being THE NEXT DAY! i WAS NOT HOME BUT UPON ARRIVING HOME I WAS IN SHOCK! CARPET WAS COVERING THE TILE RIGHT UP TO DOOR AND I HURT CHEST GETTIN IN DOOR IT CANT BE OPENED DUE TO CARPET COVERING TILE OPENING SO PLEASE SEND THE INSTALLERS BAC OUT TO FIX CARPET SO DOOR CAN BE OPENED! ASAP! THANK YOU.

[Resolved] substandard carpeting

I so wish I would have checked Empire Carpeting on the Internet before I had them install our carpeting. I...

[Resolved] scamrude salesman

WOW! This company is not what I thought! I would NEVER recommend them. We had Empire come out.. Next day for a free cons. The man that they had come out was RUDE, PUSHY, and unprofessional. He told the measurements of the rooms to be carpeted. I ASKED how much they cost per sq. ft. And he told me Empire dosen't charge that way. He then ran out to his car and quoted us $1, 900 (for the stuff that sells at Home Depot for 77 cents sq.ft) After my husbands jaw about dropped after the shocking price.. he asked us.. what we'd Like to pay for it. Then went down to $1, 400. Then went on to tell us we'd be foolish not to take the price. And told my husband that he basically didn't know what he was doing.. etc. We chose not to go with them.. Anway.. I just wanted to get it out there... BEWARE with EMPIRE they are over priced CONS.

• So
    somerespectplz May 11, 2009

What the ... They just copy and paste their reply!! But your right, they do make up prices as they go along. Go with a company that has a set square foot or square yard price with everything included. Wish you luck!

[Resolved] sales rep

My name is Raymond Delien, I responded to the TV adds about the Empire carpet 60% off sale. We thought it...

they think they have the cure for cancer

I shouldve read these complaints before I wasted two hours that I cant get back. The rep showd up on and it went down hill from there. Trying to goet pricing information was the worst. She insisted she measure before she would give me a quote. There was no pricing on the materials, so didn't know if you could even afford what they had to sell. She criticized every other company's product and if you didn't know better, you would swear Empire Today had found THE CURE FOR CANCER. We just picked a couple of pieces we liked just to get a price and when the price came..OMG!!! it was $26K!! Are you kidding me? Then she did the typical 10% off for Orlando residents, blah blah blah. The final price was somewhere in the neighborhood of $13K. We sent her packing!!! Good ridence to this terrible rip off of a company.

• Sq
    squiggle Feb 18, 2010

You said "She insisted she measure before she would give me a quote. " How can one give a quote based on size of a room if they don't know the size??? It sounds like your just angry. Will a painter give you a quote before you tell them the size of a room? Will a roofer give you an estimate before you show them the size of your house? What you are asking for is to shut the sale person down because of price before you ever gave them the chance to find out your needs or wants.

[Resolved] lousy carpet

RUN!!! Do not do business with this company. Their carpet is the worst I've ever encountered. They will tell you to "steam clean" it immediately as it will get dirty quicker than any other carpet. They say that the "manufacturer" recommends steam cleaning right away. I raised 3 kids on Beige carpeting, and it never looked as bad as what the crap does that Empire installed in my house just 3 months ago, and it's just me and my husband and we both travel a lot!!! I think they have a big scam going, and unfortunately the consumer has to pay the price. Their customer service is as poor, as their carpet! It will start unraveling immediately, will mat down, and you will fill up one sweeper bag after another with their carpet. I've had new carpet often thoughout the years, and have never encountered the problems I've had with Empire. Go anywhere but there, or you will regret it!!! We have to replace 3 rooms of carpeting because what they scammed us on looks horrible. My home is 18 years old, and the office has the original carpet in it, and looks better than the new carpet from Empire.

• Empire Today's response · Mar 24, 2014

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention, Lulu. It’s disappointing that your product is not meeting your expectations, and we can assure you that we carry only quality, name-brand products. We are committed to working with customers if ever problems arise, and we regret that you have had difficulties in getting your concerns addressed. We would like to know more about the situation and work towards a resolution with you, but we are not able to locate your account with the information posted here. Please email your contact info to [email protected] or call us at 888-588-2315 x4195. Thank you. Jeanette Ramey, National Customer Service Manager

• Du
    Dunwiththm Apr 08, 2009

I think everyone on here has a legitmate complaint, as I'm one of them! I've seen and heard it all from Empire. Everyone please read what we have experienced to save yourselves a lot of money and headaches. I know it's tempting that they can install your carpet the next day, but it will be the biggest mistake of your life! Go with a more reputable company, even if it costs more, because before this is over, you will have spent double or even triple the money replacing their carpet.

My daughter has experienced the same problems with them, as we had carpet installed about the same time. It just makes me sick to my stomach to look at this carpeting, seeing how bad it looks and it is new. NEVER AGAIN!!!

• Lu
    lulu555 Mar 16, 2014

I too had the same problem. Empire said the carpet I purchased had a 20 year warranty. It looks like crap after just 3 years. They refused to do anything about it. It's matted down in several places. My 12 year old carpet in bedrooms looks better than this new carpet. I tried to work with them, but they refused to help me. Customer service is horrible. I have to go and purchase new carpet again now after being scammed by Empire.

cost of quote

Unfortunately I did not know about this website until after a sales rep came to the house. He basically...

customer service

had an in home visit from one of their sales people and it was great. She was helpful and the price was really good. I scheduled the instalation and was very excited about getting fresh new carpet for my house. The installers came on time. The crew manager was great, he answered all of my questions and was generally very friendly.

He had 2 Hispanic guys working with him. They spoke no English. They finsihed in 3.5 hours and I was so excited. The carpet looked great. I was throughly satisfied. I really thought I would get to go out onto the internet and write a good review of the company. That is, until I started unpacking my stuff that I boxed up to get out of the way.
I unpacked a box and thought that there was some CD's and a DVD missing, but I wasn't sure. That prompted me to check my jewelry box that was in a box under stuff in the bathroom. When I did I was shocked to find 6 rings missing from my jewelry box. One of which was my grandmother's wedding rings (she passed away last Feb and that's all I have left of her). Those rings were on a gold chain. The chain was snapped and the rings gone. I was so upset, I was literally devastated. I immediately called the crew manager that was at my house and told him that I had belongings missing. He was able to stop his crew. One of the men was working with him for the very first day ever. This guy handed over 2 of my rings, but nothing else.
By that time I had contacted the local police and they were at my house. Long story short, what ended up happening was the crew manager and his wife came all the way back here from the warehouse in rush hour traffic to give a statement with me to the police. It was really great of him to do that and he didn't have to do anythig.
If that wasn't bad enough, Empire was notified also and they told me that someone would call me in 24hrs.
They should have made that a priority. The lady called me the next day got information and said she would call back. She took 4 hours to do so. When she called back (after 2 msgs from me)she gave me the B. S. line of "we are going to cooperate with the police". When I asked what the company was going to do for me, she repaeated that line FREAKING PARROT! She wouldn't explain anything.
I spoke with the Instalation Manager here in Atlanta and he basically told me that b/c legal is involved they can't discuss it with me. They aren't doing anything to resolve the fact that I paid $1800 to be robbed!
This could happen to anyone with any company. My point is that EMPIRE has no customer service to speak of. I wish I had gone with someone else even if I had to pay more money. Beware of empire.

• He
    H. E. R. Wiggs Aug 04, 2009

I consider myself an educated consumer. For years I've seen and heard Empire commercials and considered them to be a reputable company. My experience with Empire has led me to a very different opinion however. There is no set pricing...quotes are literally pulled out of the ### of the salespersons representing Empire. I recently had an in home visit and was advised to get laminate flooring because I have 2 very active dogs. I was convinced the dogs would destroy the hardwood. I was convinced the salesperson had the expertise to make this suggestion and opted for the laminate. I had already priced hardwoods in several locations and had been given installation quotes as well with other companies. Unable to refer to my data and not really attentive to calculations made by the salesperson, I opted to go with Empire since there was a 60% off sale, haul away service and installation the next day. I'm really not happy with the laminate flooring which was probably suggested because it's overstock and in hindsight I feel robbed because of the high cost I've paid. I contacted customer service to request an itemized bill (which I thought would be provided me after installation) to show price per sq. ft., underlayment cost/description, haul away service fees, and any other cost associated with the sale. Was initially told it would take 7 to 10 business days to get this information. I was surprised since it only took about 2 seconds for me to write a check for the initial deposit and about 3 seconds for them to run my credit card on the day of installment. I have been trying to get answers to my questions having spoken on the phone to several different managers. I've requested that the salesman who met for the in home consultation contact me and that hasn't happened. Today, 8/4/2009, I spoke with the Regional Manager, Tim Sherwin, who was no help at all. I take full responsibility for not raising these questions during the in home consultation, however, I don't think it matters when the question is raised there should be a reasonable explanation regardless. It surprises me that they can give me an estimate based on their calculation but they are unable to provide me with an itemized accounting. I simply want to know the sq. footage calculated, price per sq. ft and any other cost figured in. I know I was overcharged and I can't dispute that however, I'd really like to know how much I paid for flooring I'm really not happy with. I would never recommend Empire and I'll never use them again. In fact, I'm filing a complaint with the BBB for the record.

joseph augustino Nov 12, 2013

emand pire carpet is the worst flooring company in the world I have engerid wood in my diningroom and my livingroom that looks terable and thay will not do anything about it

[Resolved] don't use empire!!!

Had a guy come out to give us a free estimate. I was warned by my co-workers that Empire Today is expensive but I decided to go with the free estimate to see how much they really cost since their commercials always say they're like 50% off.

So they guy came out gave us a quote of about $2600. He said they couldn't finance the carpet that we had to pay upfront. He also said we wouldn't qualify for financing even if we had exceptional credit. He suggested that if we couldn't pay the total upfront then to just do one room first and that came to about almost $1100. The estimator was really pushy trying to get us to purchase the carpet even after I told him we'd think about it several times. He said that we lived far and he drove 40 miles to come out, etc. He also kept saying how Home Depot give incorrect quotes and they're more expensive.

I was really upset with Empire. I hate people that try to push me to buy something I don't want to.

We then had the Home Depot estimator come out and estimated the same area. It came out to be $1400 ($1100 less than Empire).

In the end we went with Home Depot. I don't recommend Empire to anyone. I should've listened to my co-workers in the first place. I hope you don't have a nasty situation like I did. Boy, was it hard to get rid of the guy. He was turning red and sweating right before he left, which told me he was mad.

• Pe
    Peaches1379 Nov 02, 2011

LMAO! Consumer Advocate Team? SERIOUSLY? You are right up their with the non-existent Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager who DOES NOT EXIST! Hey, about that wonderful Tim Sherwin ... you know the brand ambassador of Empire Today?!!! I ONLY PRAY THAT THIS COMPANY FAILS MISERABLY. PACK OF CON ARTISTS WHO NEED TO BE IN JAIL.

[Resolved] refund/terrible customer service

Well, it is now 15 days after I cancelled my order with Empire and I still have not received a refund or, for that matter, heard anything from them, even though I've called their customers service department several times. The law in this state says that they must give me my money back within 10 days. Yeah, right. They keep me on hold for up to 10-15 minutes each time I try to call, then someone tells me they processed it, then when they transfer me to the refund dept., they tell me they just got it and it will take another 10 to 15 business days. I have sent emails (thru their website) and left voice mail messages to no avail. They won't give me an email address, physical address of their corporate offices (or any other office), phone number, nothing. They say it's not their policy to give that out. What???? What kind of crooked company won't tell you where they're located or give you any way to get ahold of anyone except by their jingle phone number? What a freakin' ripoff these people are!!!

• Lg
    lgarner216 Mar 20, 2009

Empire Today has the worst customer service department I have ever encountered. A representative came out to my house to measure for window treatments. I gave her a check for $328 as a deposit. She never told me that they would be cashing it, she led me to believe they would hold it until the order was actually placed. Since it was evening, and I called first thing the next morning to cancel (after checking online and discovering that the blinds they were trying to sell me could be found for a third of the cost, including installation, and they were a better quality). A few days later I discovered that they had cashed my check. I called right away and they said that they would be issuing a refund that day. Well, it's almost 2 weeks later and I still don't have my money. I've called the customer service/refund department several times only to be treated very rudely and put on hold for over 15 minutes at times. They also, 3 times, told me that they would have someone call me to discuss the issue and I never received even one phone call. Their customer service representatives were EXTREMELY rude; they just kept repeating the same thing over and over and wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise. I will never, ever do business with them again, and I encourage anyone considering them to think twice. It's not only the money, if they were to apologize or offer something in the way of satisfaction or compensation, that would be a different story. But they were extremely rude and discourteous. This company is a total ripoff. If you do go ahead and go with them, I would also check with their competitors on prices and selection, as they may advertise low prices, but that is mostly because they use their own brands so you can't compare.

• Ti
    TIM OCONNOR Mar 22, 2009

YOU SHOULD NEVER NEVER WRITE A CHECK AND ASSUME IT WONT BE CASHED, THATS YOUR FIRST COMPLAINT, AND BE HONEST, YOU ARE IN THE WRONG.REGARDING THE REST OF YOUR COMPLAINT I AGREE WITH YOU, I AM A FORMER SALESMAN, NORMALY YOUR PUCHASE PRICE IS ALWAYS LOWER THAN LOWES OR HOME DEPOT YOUR SALESMAN WAS UNETHICAL AND HE WILL SUFFER IN THE NEXT WORLD, IF THATS ANY CONSOLATION.

• Ti
    TIM OCONNOR Mar 22, 2009

empire does have good prices and installers, corporate is with out question copletely wrong regarding their policy towards sales people after they train salespeople, and 60 days after we are in the field 10 people quit every month for the last 2 years, because they pay 4% commission, and we have to pay our own taxes and fuel, for every $100 turned in, after taxes and fuel and 12 hour days i get to keep $2, empire corporate likes it that way, they are very very smart.every month they have on going training and try to recruit at least 10 new people, who, when they realise whats going on will also quit.

• Ab
    **AB** Apr 22, 2009

i happen to work w/ the cancellations dept at empire today and yes they do scam people i do agree to that but also its not our fault about the refund, we wish we could just press a button and you could have your money right then and there but we cant and we have to follow all these damn stupid procedures but anyway the point is that we have to sent the request to cash management, and they are some really lazy ### people and the cash management office is located in north lake, IL at corporate and when you talk to the cancellations dept u speak w/ someone in Kansas... all i can say is i am very sorry about your unpleasant experience and don't recommend the company to anyone which i'm sure u wont anyway...
    sorry
    a disgruntal empire today employee

[Resolved] rip off-very bad service

Never ever go to Empire today even if you have to pay a little more at some other place for Carpet Installation. I dont know why I missed reading all the compain report before getting the installation done.
When we fisrt had the associate come for giving us a quote we were very happy since he was very nice and courtious and cool guy. The quote he gave was also couple hundered less than couple of other we had talked to and he bargained a little for us also. On the day of installation the installers were right on time with everything they need and they installed the carpet very nicely. They were very friendly and good natured. We thought we got our moneys worth, but we were wrong. After the guys left when we looked at the carpet more closely the next day we found missing loops every couple of feet in the carpet. We contacted Empire today and told them about the damage. The customer service rep send couple of people to inspect the carpet over next couple of days. They approved the damage and asked us to reinstall the carpet at no cost. We told them that we will keep the damaged carpet if they give us some refund since we have a small kid in the house and we have to make baby sitting arrangement for him at the time they come for installation. They said that they need the damaged carpet to be sent ot the manufacturer for full refund so they have to reinstall. We agreed thinking that mistaked happen sometime. But we were wrong again. The next time they brought the new carpet upstairs (after ripping off the old carpet) it had the same problem - even worse. There were big loops missing every couple of INCHES. We were so mad and furious. We tried to call the customer service to get us a new carpet and everthing but because it was a weekend nobody answered our calls. They also damaged walls of our house while ripping the carpet off. We called them againg on Monday and they said that they will not give us a refund back but reinstall the carpet and upgrade it to a better one. We told them about damaged walls and the stairs and they said that they cannot do anything about it. We told them to give us atleast a partial refund back because it was their mistake not to check the carpet the second time. Also again we have to go through the hassle of moving all the furniture and keeping my son with the baby sitter (hard on a weekend) and all that kind of mental tension. Now they are not replying to our calls at all. We have been keeping messages but no reply. I regret calling empire today for my new carpet so badley.
Now we are at a loss from everywhere - broken walls, damaged carpet, no refund. Please, pleae, think hundred times beofer going to empire today and even better never think about going there.

[Resolved] quality and service

Worst company I have ever dealt with! It has been four years and I am still having problems with them and our product. Everytime you call you get a different person in a different state. No one cares in the company! The guy who finally showed up, had no idea what he was doing, they had very little to choose from. When they came to install both our floors and carpet, the installers spoke no english and it made it very frustrating to get things done. They then installed both carpet and floors wrong and thus begun a year of trying to get them to come back out and fix it. They actually left huge staples sticking out of the floor for my daughter to cut her feet on. I cannot figure out for the life of me how these people are still in business. They over charged us also by about 2000.00!!! To say I hate Empire is an understatement! I am so happy to find this site to pass on this information. If it stops even one person from giving them there business, it is worth it!

• Updated by Company Response · Mar 16, 2009

• Di
    diana Mar 14, 2009

I experienced the same. Over priced junk carpet and pad. Empire saleperson attempt to compare the junk carpet with big box store of the same.Well its far from the same. I had my pad replaced due to feeling lumps under the carpet. They use cheap recycled pad. It has hard lumps of plastic that are quit noticable when you walk on it bare foot. They replaced the main walk areas. However now every time I vaccum I get a canister full of grey dusty FIBER material obviously from the pad under the carpet.I dont have pets or childeren. Anyone who enters the house takes shoes off ot the entry way.Also they refused to give me a break down of the cost of the carpet, pad, and installation. They told me it was a package deal. I took a peek at an invoice the sales person had. They had everything broke down on the invoice. From removing the furnature to removing a toilet. Yet they denied me a copy of this service. They have little to choose from and used installers that speak little english. When I asked about the great price discount they said I was given the discount.Then attempted to show me the $$$avings. After doing some more reserch I found that I could have had the same product and job done for about 2500.00 less. Buyer beware. ASK FOR SAMPLES of carpet, pad, tile and underlayment products. Take it AND COMPARE. Word of salesperson means nothing. They are the middleman getting the overpayment. An then after they charged me over 8000.00 they had the nerve to call me and tell me there was a mistake in the billing and I owed then an additional 25.00. I told them to come out and pick up the over ordered supplies they said I could keep and subtract it from my bill. Lesson learned. If it sounds too good, keep walking.

• Pv
    PVaj May 11, 2009

This my complaint to you/Manager.

The contract to me was mispresentation, the guy sole the carpet to me two years ago, he failed to disclosure the fact that his business with me was a contracted with credit card service, which it will increase of finance charge, interests and other fees for each month.

Second of all, he failed to tell me that the contract is a credit card, which I will not accept the contract for the first place.

Third of all, I have been making payments in the amount of $50.00 for the last 6 months and if I continue making payments like this I will not able to pay off this debt. I was laid off from my job, which prevented me to pay off the deal and I am struggle...Need Help...

This is a BAD Company...

PV: Milwaukee, WI

• Ph
    phil borgo Jan 09, 2010

They wasted two hours of my time and then wouldn't give me the estimate as my mom was not present ( it was for a rental). I'm 50 years old, the general contractor on the job and quite capable of making the final decision, but nothing.
    Then they hooked me into their auto dialer to harass me with recorded messages. When I called to ask to be removed from their system, I was told it would take ten days. Bull.
    Never again, and because it's a slow saturday I'm going to find every complaint line I can and suggest good folks go somewhere else.

[Resolved] tub liner

BBB Complaint about Empire Today

No, this is not acceptable. Empire has not addressed the complaint made to the BBB. We paid for a professional installation of a custom-fitted bath liner. We got a bath liner installed that has a 1/2" gap that extends 8" to 12" in length along one side of the liner. We have acknowledeged removing the caulk and the new caulk not holding. By removing the molding caulk, we uncovered a mistakenly measured product and/or major installation error made by the Empire Today installer. Empire Today refuses to acknowledge and address the problem of an inaccurate measurement or poor installation of what is supposed to be a bath liner that fits perfectly over my existing tub.

Empire is offering to replace the liner at the discounted price of $938.47.

tub liner

• Updated by Company Response · Mar 16, 2009

• Bi
    Bill Mar 23, 2009

It was already out of warranty was the calking was removed. A proper installation of tub liner should be no more than a 1/4" gap along all sides. You are just using my do diligence as a home owner doing general maintenence (removing old moldy caulk and replacing with new) as your excuse not to have to admit the initial install was done below standards and just flat out a poor job. I can just sse you guys throwing your hands in the air saying - the home ower removed the the caulk not our problem now. Great way to do business Empire Today.

On March 20, 2009, the business provided the following information:
    Thank you for bringing William Klingbeil's concerns to the attention of Empire Today LLC (''Empire''). The liner installed by Empire Today was properly installed. The Klingbeil's only experienced issues with the liner after they attempted to service the liner and removed the caulking. The Klingbeil's actions voided the warranty on the liner. Empire has offered to discount a replacement liner in the interest of customer service.

[Resolved] hardwood floor installation

In December 2008, I purchased engineered hardwood flooring from Empire for the living room and master bedroom...

[Resolved] overcharged

January 2007 I had a salesperson come to our home to give us an estimate on laminate flooring for our family room, Hallway and Bathroom. Her name is Marcia.

She started out by Showing me the different style of hardwood and laminate flooring telling me that the price was the same for either. Then she began to tell me that type of product used, the quality and warranty. On the laminate flooring, I was told that it is the top of the line, only sold through Empire, scratch resistant, waterproof and resistant, with a 25 year warranty.'water can stand on them for up to 5 days'. I shouldn't of believed her but wanted to see what the price would be for my living room and hallway. She promised she would give me the bottom line price for our products. She pumped up the company's reputation, their superior quality products and service. She proceeded to tell me that they NEVER used sub-contractors or day laborers and could have the floors in the next day.

I loved the look of this sample she had it was 4in wide planks that looked like they came out of an old library in europe somewhere and even had indents in the top as if they had stood the test of time and had scars to prove it. They were a deep dark warm color I picked for the living room and hallway. For the bathroom I picked a square laminate that was a sandy marble look with a hint of lavender to go in my small 5x5 guest bathroom. I told her my concerns about putting the laminate in the bathroom and if it would really hold up. She said jokingly that unless there was a flood the floors would be fine.

She also assured us that when they started the install, if we were unhappy with the product, to call them and they would make it right. That and the scratch resistant, water resistant qualities of the product. I have cats and two children who does spill things. She assured us it would be fine. That was the assurance I needed to agree to the sale.

She then measured the rooms and gave us our quote. $9000, 00 for the laminate. I was shocked to say the least!!! The price of the laminate was extremely high, in my opinion. She told me that with labor costs and the carpet removal then they have to move and replace our furniture it is a bit expensive. So I said fine I'll move the furniture and keep the carpet. She said that would bring it down to $6, 700.00. I told her that was out of my price range. However they had the financing options we were looking for, and as my family would be in town next week so them being able to install the product quickly was a benefit. We decided to only go with the laminate for now. We agreed on the pricing, and She checked with the office on the financing.

They came to Install the floor and non of them spoke a word of english and they all spelled bed. But I needed the flooring done ASAP. I had removed all the furniture the night before and even the toilet and sink. All they had to do was install the floors. It was fast and when they were done I inspected the bathroom. The trim wasn't on the wall behind the sink I pointed and asked why. He they don't have, someone will fix. That was the best english I could get out of him. He told me to sign the papers and that someone would come fix. So i signed then they left. I was already upset that I was spending so much money of floors that wouldn't be done when my family got here. Then I would have to find someone with a truck to help me take the carpet that was now taking up my garage space, to the dump.

As my friend and I was putting the furniture back in the couch scratched the floor 4 inches of a scratch. Now I was really pissed the floors weren't even an hour old and they got a scratch how would they hold up to my kids. Well a month later the classic glass of water on the dinner table spilled on the floor. I grabbed a towel and got it up right away but the trim got wet and started to swell looking like a swollen piece of cardbord with a sticker clinging to it. I went around inspecting the other parts of the floor and sure enough the floor in the bathroom was swelling and the trim was ruined even after all my best efforts of keeping it dry and clean. I followed all the instructions in that manual they gave me with the floors.

I called Empire to see if I was correctly quoted the correct price for the product I received. The woman said she didn't know she would have to forward that question to the area representatives that did the service. But she could make the appointment to have the floors fixed. A week later a english speaking guy came out to replace the pieces of the trim and floor then shook his head saying that the other crew never chalked the bathroom to seal it. I got a call from Jackie due to my concern about the pricing. She said that I was quoted the correct price for the floors and got a good deal.

I asked her if she felt good about them charging me $200 a box for cardboard with pictures of a tree glued on it. She said they used 30 boxes. I then asked her where. Then she asked if there was anything else I needed. I asked to speak to her manager. She said he was sitting behind her and wouldn't talk to me that I was quoted the correct price and I would get no refund on the product. Then I asked what about the warrenty? We can send someone out to fix the floors. So I asked Every 6 months? She said no after a year they fall under a different warrenty.

So I told her to make the appointment to come pick up the floors I don't want them and to get them out of my house. She said she could do that but I would get no refund. So I called the # on the tv asking for a number to the district office. Brian said that there isn't one and that if there was a problem with the floors that I would have to talk to the local people that put them in. I told him I wanted to speak to the person above him that I felt I was being lied to and I was riped off about the floors. He said he could not help me.

We all need to get together about this and START a class action Lawsuit about Empire Today. This is crazy that they can charge what ever they want for a crappy product then threaten us to keep it. Email me lets get this taken care of.

• Updated by Company Response · Mar 04, 2009

• Ro
    rowdy8888 Aug 11, 2009

CLAREN... THESE PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE A STORE THEY DO NOT HAVE ANY EMPLOYEES IN THE FIELD THEY ONLY HIRE SUB STANDARD CONTRACTORS...

DID YOU REALLY THINK THE WORKERS SPOKE ENGLISH WHEN YOU SIGNED THE CONTRACT ...??????? COME ON

WHEN SPENDING YOUR MONEY THEIR ARE NO "OFF LIMIT" QUESTIONS...

JUST A REMINDER IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT MORE THAN LIKELY IS... TOO GOOD

[Resolved] no show for estimate

I contacted Empire Carpet and scheduled an appointment for an estimate on 2-14-09. I was assured at the time that installation could take place on 2-16-09. These dates were set due to the fact that I would need to travel out of state to be at the home where the job would need to take place. The estimate was scheduled for 2-14-09 between
1-3 p.m. At approximately 12:15 p.m. the sales rep called me to confirm my location. At the time he told me that he was about 2-1/2 hrs. away and would need to call me back. At approximately 12:30 p.m. someone else from Empire called me to say that they would not be able to make the appointment and would I like to reschedule. I explained that I had made special arrangements to travel from Pennsylvania to Maryland to be at the home that particular weekend. I was told again that they had nobody in the area to come that day and that they could reschedule "maybe" on
2-16-09. I told her that I did not want to reschedule and that this had caused me an inconvenience. She told me that they would give me a $50 credit toward my purchase. Again, I told her that I did not want to reschedule and they had lost my business.

I called Empire on 2-16-09 and requested to speak to someone in charge so I could make a formal complaint. However, I was told to give them my phone number and someone would get back to me in
1-3 days.

Based on this experience, I would never use this company or recommend them to anyone else.

• Updated by Company Response · Mar 04, 2009

Dear D Hery,

Thank you for bringing your sales experience to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience this situation may have caused for you. Our customer care team is reviewing your concerns, and a team member will follow up with you directly within one business day to work toward a resolution.

[Resolved] an absolute nightmare

I had an absolutely nightmarish experience with Empire installers in Pittsburgh. I had just spent a great...