Complaints & Reviews

[Resolved] quality and service

Worst company I have ever dealt with! It has been four years and I am still having problems with them and our product. Everytime you call you get a different person in a different state. No one cares in the company! The guy who finally showed up, had no idea what he was doing, they had very little to choose from. When they came to install both our floors and carpet, the installers spoke no english and it made it very frustrating to get things done. They then installed both carpet and floors wrong and thus begun a year of trying to get them to come back out and fix it. They actually left huge staples sticking out of the floor for my daughter to cut her feet on. I cannot figure out for the life of me how these people are still in business. They over charged us also by about 2000.00!!! To say I hate Empire is an understatement! I am so happy to find this site to pass on this information. If it stops even one person from giving them there business, it is worth it!

• Updated by Company Response · Mar 16, 2009

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience, and our team would like to work with you to explore a resolution. Please contact us at [email protected] so that we may be able to assist. You can also visit our online customer center at http://www.empiretoday.com/Customer-Service.

• Di
    diana Mar 14, 2009

I experienced the same. Over priced junk carpet and pad. Empire saleperson attempt to compare the junk carpet with big box store of the same.Well its far from the same. I had my pad replaced due to feeling lumps under the carpet. They use cheap recycled pad. It has hard lumps of plastic that are quit noticable when you walk on it bare foot. They replaced the main walk areas. However now every time I vaccum I get a canister full of grey dusty FIBER material obviously from the pad under the carpet.I dont have pets or childeren. Anyone who enters the house takes shoes off ot the entry way.Also they refused to give me a break down of the cost of the carpet, pad, and installation. They told me it was a package deal. I took a peek at an invoice the sales person had. They had everything broke down on the invoice. From removing the furnature to removing a toilet. Yet they denied me a copy of this service. They have little to choose from and used installers that speak little english. When I asked about the great price discount they said I was given the discount.Then attempted to show me the $$$avings. After doing some more reserch I found that I could have had the same product and job done for about 2500.00 less. Buyer beware. ASK FOR SAMPLES of carpet, pad, tile and underlayment products. Take it AND COMPARE. Word of salesperson means nothing. They are the middleman getting the overpayment. An then after they charged me over 8000.00 they had the nerve to call me and tell me there was a mistake in the billing and I owed then an additional 25.00. I told them to come out and pick up the over ordered supplies they said I could keep and subtract it from my bill. Lesson learned. If it sounds too good, keep walking.

• Pv
    PVaj May 11, 2009

This my complaint to you/Manager.

The contract to me was mispresentation, the guy sole the carpet to me two years ago, he failed to disclosure the fact that his business with me was a contracted with credit card service, which it will increase of finance charge, interests and other fees for each month.

Second of all, he failed to tell me that the contract is a credit card, which I will not accept the contract for the first place.

Third of all, I have been making payments in the amount of $50.00 for the last 6 months and if I continue making payments like this I will not able to pay off this debt. I was laid off from my job, which prevented me to pay off the deal and I am struggle...Need Help...

This is a BAD Company...

PV: Milwaukee, WI

• Ph
    phil borgo Jan 09, 2010

They wasted two hours of my time and then wouldn't give me the estimate as my mom was not present ( it was for a rental). I'm 50 years old, the general contractor on the job and quite capable of making the final decision, but nothing.
    Then they hooked me into their auto dialer to harass me with recorded messages. When I called to ask to be removed from their system, I was told it would take ten days. Bull.
    Never again, and because it's a slow saturday I'm going to find every complaint line I can and suggest good folks go somewhere else.

[Resolved] tub liner

BBB Complaint about Empire Today

No, this is not acceptable. Empire has not addressed the complaint made to the BBB. We paid for a professional installation of a custom-fitted bath liner. We got a bath liner installed that has a 1/2" gap that extends 8" to 12" in length along one side of the liner. We have acknowledeged removing the caulk and the new caulk not holding. By removing the molding caulk, we uncovered a mistakenly measured product and/or major installation error made by the Empire Today installer. Empire Today refuses to acknowledge and address the problem of an inaccurate measurement or poor installation of what is supposed to be a bath liner that fits perfectly over my existing tub.

Empire is offering to replace the liner at the discounted price of $938.47.

tub liner

Empire Today

• Updated by Company Response · Mar 16, 2009

Bill Mar 23, 2009

It was already out of warranty was the calking was removed. A proper installation of tub liner should be no more than a 1/4" gap along all sides. You are just using my do diligence as a home owner doing general maintenence (removing old moldy caulk and replacing with new) as your excuse not to have to admit the initial install was done below standards and just flat out a poor job. I can just sse you guys throwing your hands in the air saying - the home ower removed the the caulk not our problem now. Great way to do business Empire Today.

On March 20, 2009, the business provided the following information:
    Thank you for bringing William Klingbeil's concerns to the attention of Empire Today LLC (''Empire''). The liner installed by Empire Today was properly installed. The Klingbeil's only experienced issues with the liner after they attempted to service the liner and removed the caulking. The Klingbeil's actions voided the warranty on the liner. Empire has offered to discount a replacement liner in the interest of customer service.

[Resolved] hardwood floor installation

In December 2008, I purchased engineered hardwood flooring from Empire for the living room and master bedroom...

[Resolved] overcharged

January 2007 I had a salesperson come to our home to give us an estimate on laminate flooring for our family room, Hallway and Bathroom. Her name is Marcia.

She started out by Showing me the different style of hardwood and laminate flooring telling me that the price was the same for either. Then she began to tell me that type of product used, the quality and warranty. On the laminate flooring, I was told that it is the top of the line, only sold through Empire, scratch resistant, waterproof and resistant, with a 25 year warranty.'water can stand on them for up to 5 days'. I shouldn't of believed her but wanted to see what the price would be for my living room and hallway. She promised she would give me the bottom line price for our products. She pumped up the company's reputation, their superior quality products and service. She proceeded to tell me that they NEVER used sub-contractors or day laborers and could have the floors in the next day.

I loved the look of this sample she had it was 4in wide planks that looked like they came out of an old library in europe somewhere and even had indents in the top as if they had stood the test of time and had scars to prove it. They were a deep dark warm color I picked for the living room and hallway. For the bathroom I picked a square laminate that was a sandy marble look with a hint of lavender to go in my small 5x5 guest bathroom. I told her my concerns about putting the laminate in the bathroom and if it would really hold up. She said jokingly that unless there was a flood the floors would be fine.

She also assured us that when they started the install, if we were unhappy with the product, to call them and they would make it right. That and the scratch resistant, water resistant qualities of the product. I have cats and two children who does spill things. She assured us it would be fine. That was the assurance I needed to agree to the sale.

She then measured the rooms and gave us our quote. $9000, 00 for the laminate. I was shocked to say the least!!! The price of the laminate was extremely high, in my opinion. She told me that with labor costs and the carpet removal then they have to move and replace our furniture it is a bit expensive. So I said fine I'll move the furniture and keep the carpet. She said that would bring it down to $6, 700.00. I told her that was out of my price range. However they had the financing options we were looking for, and as my family would be in town next week so them being able to install the product quickly was a benefit. We decided to only go with the laminate for now. We agreed on the pricing, and She checked with the office on the financing.

They came to Install the floor and non of them spoke a word of english and they all spelled bed. But I needed the flooring done ASAP. I had removed all the furniture the night before and even the toilet and sink. All they had to do was install the floors. It was fast and when they were done I inspected the bathroom. The trim wasn't on the wall behind the sink I pointed and asked why. He they don't have, someone will fix. That was the best english I could get out of him. He told me to sign the papers and that someone would come fix. So i signed then they left. I was already upset that I was spending so much money of floors that wouldn't be done when my family got here. Then I would have to find someone with a truck to help me take the carpet that was now taking up my garage space, to the dump.

As my friend and I was putting the furniture back in the couch scratched the floor 4 inches of a scratch. Now I was really pissed the floors weren't even an hour old and they got a scratch how would they hold up to my kids. Well a month later the classic glass of water on the dinner table spilled on the floor. I grabbed a towel and got it up right away but the trim got wet and started to swell looking like a swollen piece of cardbord with a sticker clinging to it. I went around inspecting the other parts of the floor and sure enough the floor in the bathroom was swelling and the trim was ruined even after all my best efforts of keeping it dry and clean. I followed all the instructions in that manual they gave me with the floors.

I called Empire to see if I was correctly quoted the correct price for the product I received. The woman said she didn't know she would have to forward that question to the area representatives that did the service. But she could make the appointment to have the floors fixed. A week later a english speaking guy came out to replace the pieces of the trim and floor then shook his head saying that the other crew never chalked the bathroom to seal it. I got a call from Jackie due to my concern about the pricing. She said that I was quoted the correct price for the floors and got a good deal.

I asked her if she felt good about them charging me $200 a box for cardboard with pictures of a tree glued on it. She said they used 30 boxes. I then asked her where. Then she asked if there was anything else I needed. I asked to speak to her manager. She said he was sitting behind her and wouldn't talk to me that I was quoted the correct price and I would get no refund on the product. Then I asked what about the warrenty? We can send someone out to fix the floors. So I asked Every 6 months? She said no after a year they fall under a different warrenty.

So I told her to make the appointment to come pick up the floors I don't want them and to get them out of my house. She said she could do that but I would get no refund. So I called the # on the tv asking for a number to the district office. Brian said that there isn't one and that if there was a problem with the floors that I would have to talk to the local people that put them in. I told him I wanted to speak to the person above him that I felt I was being lied to and I was riped off about the floors. He said he could not help me.

We all need to get together about this and START a class action Lawsuit about Empire Today. This is crazy that they can charge what ever they want for a crappy product then threaten us to keep it. Email me lets get this taken care of.

• Updated by Company Response · Mar 04, 2009

• Ro
    rowdy8888 Aug 11, 2009

CLAREN... THESE PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE A STORE THEY DO NOT HAVE ANY EMPLOYEES IN THE FIELD THEY ONLY HIRE SUB STANDARD CONTRACTORS...

DID YOU REALLY THINK THE WORKERS SPOKE ENGLISH WHEN YOU SIGNED THE CONTRACT ...??????? COME ON

WHEN SPENDING YOUR MONEY THEIR ARE NO "OFF LIMIT" QUESTIONS...

JUST A REMINDER IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT MORE THAN LIKELY IS... TOO GOOD

[Resolved] no show for estimate

I contacted Empire Carpet and scheduled an appointment for an estimate on 2-14-09. I was assured at the time that installation could take place on 2-16-09. These dates were set due to the fact that I would need to travel out of state to be at the home where the job would need to take place. The estimate was scheduled for 2-14-09 between
1-3 p.m. At approximately 12:15 p.m. the sales rep called me to confirm my location. At the time he told me that he was about 2-1/2 hrs. away and would need to call me back. At approximately 12:30 p.m. someone else from Empire called me to say that they would not be able to make the appointment and would I like to reschedule. I explained that I had made special arrangements to travel from Pennsylvania to Maryland to be at the home that particular weekend. I was told again that they had nobody in the area to come that day and that they could reschedule "maybe" on
2-16-09. I told her that I did not want to reschedule and that this had caused me an inconvenience. She told me that they would give me a $50 credit toward my purchase. Again, I told her that I did not want to reschedule and they had lost my business.

I called Empire on 2-16-09 and requested to speak to someone in charge so I could make a formal complaint. However, I was told to give them my phone number and someone would get back to me in
1-3 days.

Based on this experience, I would never use this company or recommend them to anyone else.

• Updated by Company Response · Mar 04, 2009

Dear D Hery,

Thank you for bringing your sales experience to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience this situation may have caused for you. Our customer care team is reviewing your concerns, and a team member will follow up with you directly within one business day to work toward a resolution.

[Resolved] an absolute nightmare

I had an absolutely nightmarish experience with Empire installers in Pittsburgh. I had just spent a great...

[Resolved] overpriced and condescending

EMPIRE IS A JOKE!

I read about all of the negative publicity before I had the Empire salesman come out to our home, but I wanted to see for myself that they were truly a rip-off company. Based on the salesman they sent to our home, they have no interest in keeping a positive image of their company. He was condescending, unfriendly, and to put it simply, he was a used car salesman. At one point he said the cost per square foot would be $14 -- this was for laminate flooring! When we expressed our concern about the high price, he said he needed to run the numbers again. When he "ran the numbers again" he came back with a price of $9/square foot. Again -- USED CAR SALESMAN. $9/square foot is still outrageous.

We ended up hiring local flooring installer who was friendly, experienced, answered all of our questions in a non-condescending manner, and he did a beautiful job of installing the floor. On top of that, he referred us to a specialty flooring store where we could buy quality flooring at a discounted price. For just under 500 square feet we paid $1700 for labor and materials. Empire wanted us to pay $6000 for the same job -- until they lowered their price to a "bargain" cost of $4500.

DO NOT do business with Empire. Empire doesn't care about getting repeat customers -- they are only looking for one-time customers. My advice is to hire locally, as we did. In general, local installers have their reputation on the line. Local installers rely on word of mouth advertising and good references to maintain their business -- NOT commercials with catchy jingles that you see every time you turn on the TV.

• Updated by Company Response · Feb 11, 2009

Thank you for bringing your sales experience to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience, and our team would like to work with you to explore a resolution. Please contact us at [email protected] so that we may be able to assist. You can also visit our online customer center at http://www.empiretoday.com/Customer-Service.

• My
    Mystic27 Jun 05, 2010

I completely agree with your dismay with Empire Today. In 2005, I had just purchased my house and wanted to replace the carpet with laminate floor. The saleslady was unfriendly (never smiled) and, yes, condescending. I was completely taken advantaged of because she knew I was on time constriction due to our moving date. For convenience purpose I agreed to have them installed the laminate floor, stair carpet, and blinds. The stair carpet measurement was all wrong. The laminate floor that this sales rep raved about, (she stated that their product is top quality and better than other dealers like Home Depot!), began developing bubbles in certain spots within a year of installation. The sales rep did not even return my call and I only got to speak to a telephone rep who told me that I would be partly responsible for the repair/replacement job. I demanded that they replace and take care of the matter, which they did, but sent their men to replace the floor with a completely different color from my original choice! At that point I did not have the energy or the patience to argue with Empire anymore that I just went along with the color of their choice. From the sales rep to the phone rep, I can certainly say that the company left a very bad taste in my mouth that I discouraged everyone I speak to or know from going with the company. NEVER AGAIN!

[Resolved] shedding carpet

In February of last year, we had Empire Today install a frieze carpet in our home at twice the cost of what another competitor was offering. We decided to go with Empire because of their promised service and quality. It is now nearly January, almost a year later, and our carpet is still shedding, significantly shedding. We called Empire, and they sent an independent inspector out to review the carpet and take samples. He observed the shedding, even vacuumed a small section of the floor and observed the vacuum completely fill with the fibers from the carpet. After a week, we received a report in the mail indicating that the shedding is normal and may continue for some time, and that nothing will be done.

In all of my experience with new carpet in my home and relatives homes, I have never seen a carpet shed like our carpet is doing. We have a one year old baby that plays on the carpet, and he has actually learned that he can pull on the carpet and pull up fibers and eat them. This is very disturbing.

I understand that new carpet may shed for up to one to two months, but carpet should not be shedding after nearly a year! The carpet that we purchased was a Beaulieu Coronet in Tempting Gardenia. I would warn anyone thinking of having Empire install carpet in their home, that they do not back up their service claims, and that the carpet I purchased was twice as much as a competitor and of inferior quality. We are going to have to purchase new carpet now to replace the carpet we purchased from Empire. So disappointing. We should have researched Empire prior to our purchase.

• Updated by Company Response · Feb 11, 2009

Thank you for bringing your carpet experience to our attention. We encourage you to contact us directly by either visiting our online customer service center at http://www.empiretoday.com/Customer-Service or e-mailing us at [email protected] Our team looks forward to working toward resolving your issue immediately.

• Ca
    CarpetBot May 20, 2009

Hi Amanda, Sorry to hear about your carpet problems.

Here are some suggestions.

Since Empire is such a large company, they may be contracting for their own carpet inspectors. (The inspectors are supposed to be independent but the reality is that if they process too many complaints against the Carpet Retailer for installation or against a Carpet Mill for whom they do work; they will lose that business.)

You can hire your own carpet inspector. It will cost some money. If you contact your Homeowner's Insurance Agent, he/she can probably recommend an flooring inspector. Or refer you to a claims adjuster who will surely know an inspector. They may even be willing to submit your carpet for classification as to (like ; kind : quality). Inspectors who work for Insurance Companies are vested slowly over time. It can take years to become fully vested. It has to do with developing integrity.

You can also contact the Carpet Mill to find out if the carpet style you purchased is still manufactured. If not, find out when they stopped producing the carpet. If they stopped producing the carpet before your purchase date, that could be a red flag that you recieved (seconds) instead of first quality goods.

If the carpet is still manufactured, request a sample swatch in 2 or 3 colors and compare them in behavior to any scraps you may have left over from the original installation.

Also check you invoice for a sidemark. Unfortunately, they are not always shown. If the carpet was not a stock item and they had to order the carpet. The sidemark would trace the carpet back to a lot#. And the mill will know if the carpet was sold as a second or even a third! This may help if you get litigious. The mill probably won't disclose this information at a corparate level to you.

If the carpet is private labeled to Empire ie. : Style Name & Color Name. Have a friend or relative call Empire and request some color swatches. Tell them they are for paint selection. Make sure it is a good friend, Empire may never stop bugging them.

Finally, you can insist that a mill representative inspect the carpet and write a report. Sometimes, a carpet retailer will sell a carpet pad that does not meet manufacturer's warranties. In such an instance, the mill would deny a warranty replacement because it can be reasonably argued that a carpet pad that is too thick, or too thin or less than 6 to 6-1/2 pounds results in undue wear to the backing of the carpet; is the cause of the excess shedding.

If the Carpet Retailer sold you pad that voided the Carpet Mill's and Fiber Producer's warranty. The retailer would be on the hook for the full cost of replacement. (Provided: They did something like this and failed to disclose that information). This would obviously a big finacial insentive for a multi-state flooring retailer or franchiser to hire their own carpet inspectors.

• Wa
    Wary consumer Jun 21, 2009

Hi Amanda!

You are dead on with your complaint against Empire. We had carpet installed by them and within a few months the carpet was matted down and showed significant wear in traffic areas. The sales person and written warranty info specifically stated that this type of wear was covered. We called Empire and they sent a representative out to our home. The rep came in, looked around, took pictures, talked with us at length about our care of the carpet. We told the rep that we were urged to install this particular carpet because it was their most expensive with the highest rating. The carpet was thick, plush, and dense. It was sold to us as the carpet for "high traffic areas". The rep shook his head and stated "I know exactly what the problem is" and left. Empire called a few days later and let us know that the report showed that all it would take to fix my carpet was vacuuming. My husband and I lost our faith in Empire. It is obvious that an independent rep is NOT going to keep his job if he calls for Empire to reinstall carpet at Empire's expense; the rep clearly saw what the problem was, but his report did not reflect his conversation with us.

We recarpeted at our expense, with a different company, and we were very happy with the replacment carpet. Now here is the kicker...

Fast forward a few years and it's time to carpet again. We decided to use another carpet company. We went with a different type of carpet. This carpet had a manufacturing defect and within 30 days was loosing backing and having issues. The new company sent THEIR rep out with forms, questions, pictures, and a lengthy conversation about what was happening. Within three days we had a call from the company and we were told that our entire house would be recarpeted at no expense! The company sells Stainmaster carpet and it was Stainmaster that took care of us... Go with a Stainmaster carpet and use a company with roots in the community and a reputation for customer care.

I would never use Empire again and you should never have to hire your own carpet inspector. If a company is legitimate and they stand behind their product then issues get resolved with no expense to you. I will never buy anything but a Stainmaster carpet and I will pay a little more to go with a carpet sales company that has roots in the community and a reputation for taking care of their customers. Empire is cheaper than most, but you pay for that savings in the long run. Sometimes the best deal isn't the cheapest deal and I had to learn that the hard way. Stay away from Empire!

damage done to my living room hallway and cherry end and coffee table

On the morning of my instillation, I was never called first off, when the two non english speaking men came into my home they called my credit card into the office but did not mark the imprint on their paperwork therefore I was charged twice, that took almost a week to correct, they did damage to my walls after we had recently painted and the company never offered a discount. Last friday dec.12, 2008 I got a phone call stating that they reviewed the pics (Not mine) and were offering me $100.00 in damages (I agreed sort of as I was sound asleep when they called) , I realize money is tight for us all but I am on disability and cannot paint my living room it costs alot more than $100.00 to replace drywall and to paint a large living room, now I find out thru complaints that another was offered an $800.00 discount!!! I am livid all the aggravation I went through not knowing if I were ripped off, worrying how to fix what they damaged... I have to say I will call my attorney on monday never deal with this company

never use empire for any of your household needs!!

In October of 2006 we purchased carpet in 2 rooms and it had a 5 year warranty. In May 2008 we noticed that our carpet started to look worn down and started to come apart in the traffic areas. We called empire and they sent out a inpection company. They came out and said it was normal wear and tear. We feel that our carpet should not look like that after being only 2 years old. It is getting really worse. It looks like its 20 years old not 2 years old. The salesperson who sold us the carpet said it would never look worn. I would never trust anyone from empire ever again. They have terrible sales people and customer service.

• Wi
    Willie57 Mar 15, 2010

I agre -- they're the biggest crooks in America. Go to the Federal Trade Commission's website and file a complaint. First, get all addressews and info for Empire.

terrible experience

Our order of laminate flooring and stairs was installed on 9/26/08. Immediately we saw a problem that the stair nose was about 1/2' higher than the stair itself - quite dangerous for a busy stairway. After approximately 6 more appointments where we took the day off work only to have installers not show up, show up with the wrong product, show up to repair our 'carpet', or show up and shrug, we were able to FINALLY speak with an Installation Manager, 'Bill', who agreed to replace the stairs with a wood/oak product as they did not have a laminate product for the stairs.

After scheduling several more futile appointments where nothing was done, an installer came with wood products. The stair color/model we ordered looks wonderful and matches the floor. The nose of each stair, is a different model, different color and does not fit.

After scheduling several more futile appointments of people showing up with exactly the same wrong product that they installed on our stairs, 'Bill' the installation manager was supposed to PERSONALLY come out and resolve the problem (he didn't show), he told us he would personally instruct the installer and make sure this was finally resolved. Of course, on yet another Saturday after spending an entire day waiting for the installer - he again showed up with the wrong product. Bill is no where to be found, of course. Christy Caputo, the helpful, perky customer service representative genuinely tries to cover for Bill - but he's hopeless. She promised that Bill would AGAIN call us first thing Monday morning. Still waiting.

The last installed advised us that the manufacturer of the stair color/model we ordered does not make stair noses!!! They've been wasting our time, messing with us for nearly TWO MONTHS - did they think we wouldn't notice!!!

We've received weekly 'customer satisfaction survey' phone calls from Empire, who appear to be concerned with customer service - in reality, there is no manager that will speak with you or resolve your problem or issue. You will deal with nice people at Christy-level who are polite but can do nothing but again take down your information.

Calling the Corporate headquarters and leaving messages for the VP of Customer Relations doesn't appear to do any good.

If you want to take alot of time off work, be extremely frustrated, throw away money, and spend several months doing it - then Empire is THE place for you!

• Tb
    TB1 Feb 26, 2009

I spent almost $8k on laminate floors and had a piece of trim that had been repaired from the original install fail again. Meaning, the trim piece will not stay flush on the floor. I was told that I will have to pay $125 dollars for something that should have been repaired correctly to begin with. Also, the customer service representative noted in their comments that Empire had been to my residence multiple times which is not true. With that said, I feel like I have been mislead on what falls under a warranty and will not consider Empire for future projects.

One other note in regards to this. Don't let them fool you with their warranties. Make sure you get the details because they will not hesitate to charge you outrageous labor fees for work that should have been taken care of under warranty or previous repairs. Very misleading and does not consider repeat customers to be important in my opinion.

MaxinePyd Jul 13, 2011

I have scheduled appointments with Empire Carpets that are then canceled on the day of, the excuse being that there is no representative in the area.
    "Why make the appointment in the first place?" I asked them?
    "Because we never know whether there will be reps in the area until the morning of the appointment."
    "Meantime I have taken half a day off work. Is this really how you do business?"
    "I'm sorry, but there are no reps in the area, we will have to reschedule."

And so on with the broken record technique. No attempt was made to send a representative and they defended their lack of integrity like it was perfectly normal business practice.

I don't know how a business that doesn't honor its appointments or respect its customers is able to still be in business. It is disgusting behavior.

If anyone can shed light on this matter I would be immensely grateful.

• Bu
    Business Response. Jul 20, 2011

Maxine, we’ve read your postings from last year and apologize for your experience as this type of miscommunication shouldn’t have happened. I understand that you spoke with our Marketing and Communications Team last year and that the situation was brought to our attention in customer service. As our National Customer Service Manager, I’d be happy to address any further questions or concerns you may have. Please feel free to email me at [email protected] or call me at 888-588-2315 x4195. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

[Resolved] awful everything

I used Empire to install 6 blinds in my small one bedroom apartment. It seemed like a very easy job but it has taken more than 2 months and 6 different visits for them to install the blinds and they STILL aren't finished!!! The first installer that they sent to my house damaged my kitchen window when he tried to force a blind that was too big for the window in. He then asked if I had left over paint so he could cover up the damage. He incorrectly installed the blinds in my bedroom and told me that it was the only way for them to work (which was untrue). In the living room you could see that the valance on the top of the blinds did not match up and there was a one inch space between the spot where they should have met. I called Empire and they sent someone to come and look at the job. He agreed that the job was poorly done and told me that Empire had fired the installer that they sent to me in the past but brought him back because they needed more help. The second installer also told me that he constantly had to fix the other installers jobs.

The second installer seemed very knowledgeable and tried to fix the mess that the first one created. Problem is, he isn't finished with the job yet. He measured the windows and came back 3 times because every time the blinds weren't cut correctly. He also ripped the paint off my bedroom walls when removing the blinds to install them correctly, so now I have 4 large holes and white paint spots where the blinds used to be.

Whatever you do, DO NOT use Empire. They lie when they say they have great customer service and knowledgeable installers. They will send you someone who has no clue what they are doing and tell you that they are great. Don't believe there lies!!! I spent more than $1, 300 on blinds and they act like they are doing me a favor by installing them correctly.

• Updated by Company Response · Apr 16, 2009

• We
    Wendy Mar 17, 2009

I had laminate flooring installed a year ago and it has been a series of problems ever since. The floor keeps separating in different places. The company never told us about this stupid looking molding that was installed around our baseboards. The transitional pieces from the flooring to the carpet keeps breaking because there's no support under it. The transitional pieces have been replaced 2 times already because they are crooked or the seams are so off you can trip over them. The customer service is the WORST I've ever dealt with. You sit on hold forever. They transfer you from person to person, then you get disconnected. They don't return any phone calls, but yet mark in your account that they have. The want me to pay $75 for a transitional piece that they have had to replace 2 times now. I will NEVER use ET again and would NEVER, NEVER recommend them to anyone. They are awful.

• Ka
    Kat211 Aug 12, 2009

Beware of Empire Today! They will rip you off!

Bill Crane Mar 02, 2017

I had two appointments confirmed with Empire the past week. They never called to say they weren't coming and both times I had to call back. Talk to customer service and given excuses of the first salesman never got the message and the second one was the Lady's day off!!
    I asked customer service rep what in the world would she feel like? She said, yes it's bad, but my supervisor can't talk to you right now because he is in training. I mean, training for what? he never called. It's just pathetic. I took day off to be home when they were supposed to be at my house.

I would NEVER use these people.

installation

I've use Empire before in Chicago and they were fabulous so I expect the same service in Kentucky, unfortunately this was a joke.
No one ever confirmed my suggested appointment and just showed up at my door ready for the sales pitch. I was able to pick quickly and the deal was sealed with incentives of (can we start this weekend, its a 3 day project, blah blah blah). They did start that weekend but now the project is going on its 3 weekend straight.
I have damage to my home, tile is cracked and was installed, air pockets in the grout, my carpet is ruined, and the hoses to the washing machine were broken causing mess in my laundry room.

I will NEVER refer them again! DO NOT USE THEM...THEY ARE HORRIBLE!

they lied to me

I wish I knew about this website before I dealt with Empire in August 2008. There were issues from the beginning. First, they sent out a salesman who gave us an estimate. There was a question about the estimate, so they sent out another guy to double check it. The second guy didn't even measure, he just gave us a price undercutting the first guy. We contacted the company to notify the manager about the unprofessional conduct that was going and they apologized. We decided to go with the first guy simply because we liked him. He seemed so honest and genuine and when he came several times to do paperwork with us he stayed for a couple hours after and hung out. I wish we had known what we were in for, but we were enticed by the offer of credit, the warranty, and the convenience. They assured us that we were buying a superior product and that was why it was more expensive. As a young, first time homeowner I didn't realize I was getting ripped off. The floor was installed and looked great for a few months. Then we started noticing areas that looked like they were buckling at the joints and other areas where the picture was coming off of the edges of the tiles. As the problem worsened we got concerned and called to let them know what was going on so we could have the issues corrected. They sent out an inspector who came at the wrong time and could barely speak english. He kept saying that my refrigerator, which is only a few years old, must be leaking. The floor in the living room, kitchen, and hallway are messed up, how could the refrigerator do that! I received a call from a customer service rep a few days later to let me know the problem would not be covered by my warranty because it was water damage. Since I knew there was no way that it was water damage, I am very careful not to let the floor get wet, they agreed to send out an "independent" inspector to reassess the situation. He confirmed that we did not have water damage and that the floor was properly taken care of. Using this report the regional customer service manager in the Philadelphia Market told me that I must have caused the damage from high traffic in my home, which is ridiculous since there are only two adults and four miniature dogs. He said they would cut me a deal. He offered to "only" charge me $2100 in addition to the $5975 line of credit we had already taken out with GE through Empire and they would put the same product down again. I told him no way was I paying more money for a floor that didn't last a year. He said he was sorry that I was disappointed but that was all they could do for me. I am still trying to resolve this huge issue! It has been and continues to be a nightmare!

• Je
    Jerry Gardner Oct 29, 2008

Sounds like you were sold an inferior grade product at an inflated price. You should have done some
    homework, learned about the product you were interested in and the various price points and
    product quality. Not all laminates are equal. You also need to understand the manufacturer's
    warranty terms. Manufacturer's only warranty the surface finish against wearing through for
    a certain time period, usually 5, 10, 20, 25 or 30 years. Secondly they only warranty against
    defective product PRIOR to installation.
    Before signing any contract be sure to obtain and READ the mfgr's warranty and installlers
    warranty. Do not accept verbal assurances as to product quality or warrantys.
    And don't be fooled by the "you have to sign now to get the sale price" claim, any reputsable
    company will hold the price rather than lose the sale.

• Li
    LizM2154 Nov 03, 2008

I am glad to have found this site. I just set up an online appointment with this company for 2 rooms and now I am going to cancel it. I don't want to deal with a company like this, and don't have time for 'games'.

Thank you for sharing your experience and I'm sorry you got ripped off. I hope they rectify the situation for you. You would think reputation and repeat business would mean something... especially in this ecomony.

• Pr
    Priscilla Nov 15, 2008

I thnak you for sharing a most painful experience and yes, I will look elsewhere for my blinds.

cashed check for cancelled service

I will tell you that this is by far the WORST company ever to do business with. I'm going to keep this short and simple. They send out their most friendliest representatives that woo you into thinking that they are giving you the best deal ever on their cheap ### carpet. We thought he was giving us a super deal...called his manager and so on to ask if they could make this one exception to give us their CHEAP ### carpet for the special low price of $750. ###! My husband went on the internet the day after we signed the check over to them thinking we were getting a 60% off deal and found that no one is satisfied with Empire Today so, we cancelled the carpet installation. That oh so friendly representative tells us that he is writing CANCELLED on the check right at the moment we were talking to him. We called the company to cancel the order as well. They said, NO PROBLEM. 2 weeks later to no surprise...they cashed the check ANYWAY. Now my account is negative waiting for their so-called refund check in the mail that will take 10 business days to arrive. DON'T EVER DO BUSINESS WITH EMPIRE TODAY. They will cheat you out of your money. We read the reviews and found that they are absolutely true. If you need carpet installation go straight to Home Depot or Lowes. They have a way better quality selection and their whole house installation is only $199. They don't hassle you...they don't send out LIARS because they have a name to up hold. I have no idea how Empire Today is still in business. PLEASE don't waste your time or your money with those crooks!!!

• Un
    unhappy customer100009 May 05, 2015

agreed the worst carpet we ever got. We are constently getting static shocks due to the poor quality. Go anywhere else.

[Resolved] fraud and scam

Bought high priced carpet, not even four months later our carpet is JUNK! Supposed to warranty it, but two months after my initial call, we still have no new carpet. This is a *** company, managers are a joke, and I was actually told by the manager that I purchased UGLY carpet! Please do not buy their carpet. I've been placed on hold to eventually be hung up on, or have been hung up on while hearing laughter in the background. I just got off of another call from the guy who was supposed to show up tonight, and BIG surprise!!! NO ONE IS SHOWING UP!!! We have friends who have spent WAY less from local carpet retailers, and have SUPERIOR carpet compared to Empire's CRAP!!!

• Empire Today's response · Nov 04, 2019

Valerie, we take your concerns seriously, and would like to follow up with you to start working on a resolution. Unfortunately, we're unable to locate your account with the information provided. Please email [email protected], with your order information. We look forward to hearing from you.

jon lane Nov 04, 2019

I am in the business and the company Empire Carpets gives legitimate folks a bad name...Anyone who "tricks" the public into thinking they can carpet a room for $50.00 is a fake and a crook. If you advertise 80% off "special" your also a fake and a crook. Empire Carpet stop embarrassing yourself!

[Resolved] terrible experience

Today was the second time that I had a scheduled appointment with Empire Today AND the second time that I was stood up without so much as a courtesy call. We're building a home so we are in need of flooring for the entire house. This would have been a huge sale for Empire Today. I'm pleased to say that it WILL NOT be a sale for them and that their competitor will reap the benefits of Empire's lack of courtesy and poor, poor customer service.

When I made the appointment I told the agent that this was new construction and therefore my home phone number is not at the location. I gave them two cell-phone numbers to use instead. I also asked that the salesman call us on one of the cell #'s 30 minutes prior to arriving.

I called Empire Today as instructed at the beginning of the two-hour time frame on the day of the appointment to determine when the salesman would arrive. I then drove out to our building site to meet him. Approximately 1/2 way into the appointment time, he called my home (again NOT where we needed him to call) and told my daughter that he was on his way. 45 minutes later he hadn't arrived so I called him on his cell (got the number from my daughter on our home's caller ID). The salesman had the gall to tell me that he needed better directions so he turned around and went home. He then asked when a better time to reschedule would be. Since this was a second chance for this so-called business, I informed him that there wasn't a better time and hung up.

When I called the 800# for Empire Today to tell them what happened. I was told that they would make the report and that we would hear from the sales manager within 3 business days. Yeah, right! NOT!!! I want nothing to do with a company that stands up their customers without so much as a call.

I beg you not to let them waste your time as they obviously make a habit of wasting peoples time.

• Empire Today's response · Oct 09, 2012

We’re disappointed to know of the problems that occurred with your friend’s installation. We can assure you that we are committed to providing our customers with world-class service and working with them until they are satisfied. We would very much like to speak to you and your friend about any concerns that you may have. Please contact us at 888-588-2315 x4195 or [email protected] Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

• Le
    let'sbereasonable Mar 28, 2009

Consider yourself very lucky they never came out. They are some of the largest scammers out there.

• Jd
    J. DeAngelo Oct 01, 2012

I had carpet installed in 4 rooms. I had a good experience with my installation...
    Now comes the complaint, I made the terrible mistake of refering EMPIRE to a friend.
    My friend wanted wood flooring installed in two rooms. When the installers came to do the installation they never called prior to notify that they were on their way. They attempted to do a quick switch of the flooring that was agreed apon at the time of sale with a cheap brand. Lucky my friend was there to call them on their SCAM and put a stop to all work. When he tried to explain the situation the next day to the customer service person he received nothing but excuses and out and out lies. He demanded his money be returned immediatly and has no intention of being SCAMMED by EMPIRE . Also dont let your sales person tell you that their installers are exclusive to Empire because they are not. They hire any "JOHNNY COME LATELY" that they can get to do their work. Had I known this, I would not have them working in my home, and will not do any future buisness with them. Disappointed and feeling deceived. I wonder if I really got what I paid for. Guess its to late for me. Dont get ripped off by EMPIRE.

[Resolved] terrible experience

I 'm headed to court. After reading all these complaints I found to be true. My alarm wiring was damaged...

damage to floor

5 years after they installed a carpet I removed it and found a row of deep gouge marks in the oak floor, obviously from the installation as these were newly finished floors before the carpet installation and the marks are all in a row and from the installation. There is no way I could check this when they installed it as I wasnt here. When I called to complain they said there was nothing they could do about it, now I see why, they are a fraudulent company - do not do business with these scammers.

Sam O'neill Aug 23, 2009

Empire is being sued for a hit and run worker who is illegal. Owner non cooperative with police. For both these reasons do not use them and the tax dept shold get on them for hiring undocumented wokrers.

• Ix
    IXpectTheBest Jan 10, 2015

Empire Today LLC, Milwaukee Complaints & Reviews - Sold us Contaminated Carpet/Pad thatvis Destroying our Home & Health
    Empire Today LLC Contacts & Informations
    Empire Today LLC
    Posted: 2015-01-02 by IXpectTheBest
    Sold us Contaminated Carpet/Pad thatvis Destroying our Home & Health
    Complaint Rating: 0 % with 0 votes
    Empire Today LLC
    May 2014 we purchased & had installed carpet in our new reckroom. Got a 50/50/50 sale for Memorial Day. The salesman came showed us samples. Said we were getting free pad upgrade with our 25 year warranty carpet that is waterproof and stain resistant. We were excited!! ( Until we Weren't) The installers were to arrive the next morning & didn't show. I called Empire and the installers were being rescheduled.( Not very Professional!) When they did come, the men went about their install. I tried asking a couple questions but quickly found out that this crew speaks little to no English. To their credit?, the job was done quickly and they vaccumed upon completion. BUT, The installers left a pile of carpet & padding in our basement & the only one that spoke just Broken English said they'd be back. We asked about the smell and he said it was fumes from the carpet and it would go away in a couple days. By June, I called about the garbage left behind & the smell. I was told someone would call back. NOTHING! By July & August, the smell is getting worse. I called and was told that we need to hire a professional carpet cleaner to clean odor. $129 and Still it stinks! I realize that the smell was coming from the ENTIRE perimeter having what appears to be male cat spray which is drawing my cats to the spots. Believing my carpet was waterproof & stain resistant, and because its not recommended, we did not have the ckeaners saturate the carpet. We have spent Months on Carpet cleaning, enzymes to destroy, even had other carpet installers pull up areas, for Viewing ONLY!) To find entire perimeter as well as Enclosed Closet ALL have Urine/Spray & also that they used Cheap wood tack strips as well. I have spoken with numerous people at Empire Today who have either said someone would return our call or finally, that we can PAY THEM $400.00 for Labor to have this Toxic Carpet removed and replaced. ( We aren't sure seeing as we were told carpet was waterproof). I argued that why only remove carpet when the pad may have been the issue & that BOTH need to be removed Immediately from my home. Helen at Empire became the contact person after vickey. She has held our home hostage by lying. First insisting on the $400.00 labor fee, then saying I need to sign an agreement form. The form turned out to be a Full and Final agreement stating all releases to from everything and everybody including that I can't post reviews, comments etc. I called Helen and disputed the Hold HARMLESS CONTRACT after filing my complaint. It is now January 2015 and they have not removed them Stinky carpet & pad from my home. We have not been able to finish our "New" Reckroom, our drywall has been damaged, I have spent close to $600 on carpet cleaning and enzymes and countless hours of my life cleaning, waiting for cleaning, on the phone with them talking, arguing, have had LUNA Carpet come to give quotes, all the time spent writing back and forth and have even had 2 hospital visits because of illness that flared up due to Empires Poor quality Products & Service. I requested they remove these products, pay for the costs incured, and at one point, I was going to trust them to replace. They have offered NOTHING but the Cost we paid minus the deposit. This business sells you a product using salesmen full of lies, in hopes that you'll be so excited by the price that you won't notice the lack of quality, the fact you've been lied to, that you actually have overpaid and that once they have installed your flooring, that Empires Warranty and Customer Service is pretty much Absent! Almost 8 months and I am still being held hostage by Helen at Empire! I have NEVER, in my Life, done business with such a Shady Company! And the Fact that they have SO Many BBB listings and are ALL the Same company Nationwide... Over 1100 complaints on just one Listings in Northern IL.; and they have an A? Really? You'd be better off doing it yourself from a Big Box store, at least their would be a Real human that Cares and is Local instead of trying to find a Lawyer from Whatever State You're in that is Licensed to Practice in Illinois. Good Luck! This is how Empire gets away with ALL of this! You think they're local and they Don't even have their own crews! Everybody is Subbed out so you don't even know what type if person will show up at your home. Had I known this I would NEVER had Allowed Empire Today into my home for ANY reason! I want this Crap out of my home and I want my money back!! BUYER BEWARE!! This Company not only Bait & Switches, they Lie, Scam & they dont care because NOBODY can stop them. They deserve an F on their rating!!

fraud

This was not the first time I purchased carpet for my offiice so I knew exactly what I needed was high wear carpet with a very thin dense padding so the wheels of my equipment could work. The salesman assured me that that would be possible. That was a lie and he knew it. The company only offers one type of padding. After the installation by totally non-English speaking workers, I found they installed a big, fluffy padding. When I called to have the padding switched they said they could if I purchased an entire roll of padding since they do not carry it and pay for a reinstallation. I have also found that their prices are grossly inflated and one would be a fool to not negotiate with them. I think one would be a fool to deal with them at all.

• Te
    teri jones Nov 23, 2008

I purchased flooring from Empire Carpet on a deferred could payall or part during the "free" year, but if I did not pay all in that time I would be charged interest. No problem. When I asked what the payment would be, I was told the full amount was due at the end of the promotional period. I said I would not have that much. I was told that was okay, I could make payments. I thought that all was well and good, until I recieved the first bill after the promotional period. It said that I was in an over limit status. When I called they said that when the accurred interest was added on it put me over limit. I told the person that this was never mentioned to me. I said I was told I could make payments. The person yes that was correct but until I paid the $1, 800.00 in interest I would be charged a $39.00 over limit fee. I checked my contract. No where in my contract did it say that if the interest, at the very least was not paid in the promotional period the account would be in over limit status at the end of the promotional [period. This is fraud and flase advertising in my eyes. I tell everyone I can if you considering doing buisness with a company that uses GEMoney Bank do not do it. GO some where else for the product or service.

• Te
    teri jones Nov 23, 2008

I made a mistake in my complaint. It should have read that I was told that I could to pay all or part during the free year and I was NOT told that if I did not pay the all interest during the promotional period it would put me in an over limit fee and I would be charged a fee of $39.00 until the $1, 800.00 in interest was paid.

Sam O'neill Aug 23, 2009

Empire is being sued right now for a hit and run accident by an illegal worker. DO NOT USE THEM FOR BOTH REASONS. The owner is not cooperating with police on the matter.

bill wight Jul 25, 2011

i also called empire and was also told that it was the last day of the sale. after i got a quote from them i told them another company quoted me more the 3000 dollars less, he called his boss. he said then he could do it now for 100 dollars less. why ? the carpet is crap !!! all the seams are showing and now when i vaccum it tears up the carpet plus i have carpet balls that look like cat balls every day and need to vaccume it every day. my brother also called them and has the same complaints. when i called them about the runs in the carper LESS THEN 6 MONTHS LATER ) THEY SAID THE WARRENTY WAS OVER!! and i needed to buy different carpet because my carpet was no longer in stock BE AWARE DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!!

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices