Direct TV / unauthorized charge/inaccurate billing

I sign up for a "promotional" offer for $35/month for DirectTV. They charge $75/month - after 15+ phone calls (HOURS on the phone with "customer service" only offering to "upgrade my package"). Then they disconnect the service after 60 days - despite having sent payment. My payment returns 10 days after it was sent saying my account didn't exist. (I had to send a check because I needed to reset my password for their website and - according to customer service - they can't help with that either. They eventually transferred me to another department in which I was promptly disconnected.) WTF?!?! I try yet again to call back - all I want is basic service!!! Now, on Christmas Eve, I see that they charged my primary checking account without any prior notice or authorization for $786. I can't call them or my bank until after the holidays to get everything sorted out. How could they debit my account when they returned a check that had the EXACT SAME INFORMATION ON IT?!?!

I can't imagine the poor saps they do this to that wouldn't have the money to cover such [censored]. We'll see how the Better Business Bureau and my lawyer would like to resolve this. I've heard horror stories of people having issues with satellite TV, but this is WAY BEYOND anything I ever imagined feasibly possible.

Km

Comments

• Ho
      31st of Dec, 2010

I thank you and everyone else that has posted here about DTV. I was going to have an install done in about 2 weeks and just cancelled it. I am going to stay with Dish. I called them and told them (dish) I was going to change to DTV and they gave me a great offer and my contract expires in 2 weeks. I have the offer from Dish for 1 yr with no contract. Now thats customer service!!! I hope you get things worked out and get your money back plus some. Try and have a happy New Year. Being a woman and single I truly understand your agravation.