Citizens Bank / overcharged

Last November Citizens Bank hit me with over 500$ in over draft fees on three purchases all equaling less than 10$. They took my direct deposit Social Security Disability Check and canceled out the fees, regardless of the fact that I did not want that. I nearly became homeless because of that.

I left the account to mold while I opened a checking account with a much better (and more popular) bank. Recently a charge of $3.99 was made via paypal for some arbitrary purpose to the Citizens account by mistake. I made a call to their customer service to ask that the fee be removed as a courtesy, which they agreed to. They then stated my account balance was 'fine' and 'in the clear'.

Well, I though they meant the account was POSITIVE in balance, so I did nothing.

I went in today to deposit 50$ to keep it from happening again, and my account was 100$ NEGATIVE.

They will not waive the fees, or even work with me on the fees. Instead until i make the account positive, I will incur another 39.00 charge every 7 days. No one told me this before. The seven day limit to deposit after the fee was refunded was YESTERDAY, and they will not make an exception!

I am on Social Security, I make 637.00$ a month! I cant afford to lose another 100$ of my income!

I called the bank where I opened the account (Willow Grove) since i live 150 miles away from it now, and the manager (Debbie) was EXTREMELY rude and treated me like I am an idiot who cant manage my money. She told me to practice my money management skills and then hung up.

I have NEVER had an account overdraw at ANY other bank. Citizens Bank should be ashamed of its self. Bad customer service and insane fees will make this bank one of the next to sink!

Ni

Comments

Ti
  7th of Apr, 2010

I feel very sorry for you. Citizens Bank is a TERRIBLE bank and they do NOT care about their customers. This is clearly a case of predaotry lending. The bank wants to make you think they did you a favor by allowing the charges to go through, while at the same time charging you outrageous fees for the "convenience" (their word, not mine).

Gone are the days when banks looked out for their customers. Banks like citizens are looking out for their bottom line. They are simply looking out for ways to increase their profits and revenues for their share holders. They also don' want the "average" customer. They want people with lots of money

I am a former of the bank and am all too familiar with their poor business practices. Sorry to hear about all your trouble. I left them and went to Bank of Ameirca. At least I was given the option of opting out of this practice. I hope Citizens bank goes belly up, and that their CEO, Larry Fish, knows what it's like to have someone abscond with his money - like what his bank has done to so many unfortunate people.