Bell Mobility / free phone = 350.00 bill

1 Langley, British Columbia, Canada Review updated:

I have been a loyal customer of Bell Mobility for about six years. I payed the higher rates than all of my family and friends because everytime I had an issue, customer service was there to respond positively and efficiently to resolve my problems. Just before christmas my phone fell out of my pocket in a parking lot, was run over and damaged, but somebody took the time out of their busy holiday schedual to return my phone to the Bell store in our local mall. When I called in to report that I had lost my phone, customer service gladly informed me of where it was and I was thrilled to collect it.

I wasn't surprised when I saw the screen damage on my old phone and mentioned casually that my contract was almost up anyways. The gentleman behind the counter offered me a surprising deal. Because I had paid for my last phone by cash, I had a great rebate on my account for a new phone. That plus a new 3 year contract and a couple of promotions they had meant that I could get an iPhone for no charge, no activation, and a free case. My plan, he said, would stay the same and then drop once my original contract expired in a couple of months.

Free phone, free activation, free case, same bill.. sounds like a no brainer, right?

Until I got my 350.00 bill the next month! Now I can understand a couple of fees to change over the old number to a new account, etc.. but this was ridiculous, and no matter who I spoke to or emailed, they all assured me that the charges were all valid. Minus some 50.00 in overages for holiday chatting and Long Distance, everything else was service charges and plan fees. You can hear the shock and confusion in every rep's voice when I try to explain to them what happened, and some have even said "well that can't be right", but it is always followed by a long wait on hold while they consult their supervisor, followed by a scripted apology and "there's nothing we can do".

Beware the bait and switch, I could have had a much cheaper plan elsewhere and now I'm paying the 400.00 cancellation fee just to get the hell away from these cheaters.

Comments

• Ri
      16th of Jun, 2011

purched a blackberry storm with voice an data, all my e-bills from bellmobility goes to one of my e-mail accounts but they all went to my junk mail so never actually saw or recieved them finally viewed it an IS $3200.00 ... Why was i not notified by voice mail as well for arrears. A whole lot of intrest being wasted at my expence !! ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

• Cr
      24th of Sep, 2011

you can get any fee or charges waived by asking to speak to CRA, even if they are valid usage charges. You may not get CRA if you ask for a supervisor, that might only get you a more experienced representative...just keep asking to escalate until you get to CRA to get anything waived. they can even send you out a free demo phone sometimes.