[Resolved] Alamo Rental Car / oversells then overcharges!

1 FL, United States Review updated:

We arrived on Saturday afternoon at Orlando Airport and had a reservation for a compact car from Alamo Rental Car. The price of the rental was $108.00, I also prepaid for a full tank of gas which for the compact car was $30.00. We were staying at one of the Disney resorts so would not be driving more than about a 100 miles in total, but the $30.00 was worth it to not have to stop and fill up on the way back to the airport. When we got to the area to pick up the car there were about 2 dozen people waiting and there were no compact cars left... a gentleman was directing people to other vehicles and we were told to just take a Chrysler Pacifica and go... we thought wow, what a great rental company..they oversell but don't hold people up because of it. At the Orlando airport when you pickup the vehicle you go through exit stations where they record the license plate of the vehicle and check your paperwork. The gentleman there said not a word and we were on our way.

When we returned the vehicle after only having driven it a grand total of about 80 miles (3/4 tank still full), we were shocked to learn that the prepaid gas cost was $80.00. When I complained to they guy checking in the car he said that that was the cost to fill up a chrysler pacifica. He said to go see the manager in the booth. This guy was really bad (talk about crappy customer service). When I told him that you oversold and GAVE me a larger car and that I would not pay $80.00 for the gas he looked me straight in the face and said "Oh! Yes you will". When I again said I had reserved a compact car not the Pacifica he said "But you enjoyed that Pacifica!". Oh My... are you kidding me - you forced it on me. Then he said you were going to prepay anyway, I said yes but for $30 because that was convenient for me, not $80... I asked for a customer service 800 number and walked away. When I called the 800 number from the airport lounge I found out he gave me a bogus 800 number...

I found the real number myself and even their corporate customer care was unwilling to adjust the prepaid cost...

I eventually resolved it through my credit card company... but I will never rent from Alamo again... what a scam... offer great rates on compacts, oversell and force a larger vehicle on the unsuspecting consumer and then tell them they enjoyed it and would have to pay for it!!! ARRRGGGHHH!

• Resolution statement

• Alamo Rent A Car Customer Care's Response, Dec 02, 2014

Vincent Delgado, customer service and satisfaction are very important to us at Alamo. I would like to follow up with you. Please email me at care@alamo.com with the complete details, exact renting location, and any rental agreement numbers. Please reference #141202-003032. I look forward to hearing from you soon, thank you. Chris, Social Monitoring Coordinator, Alamo Rent-A-Car

Comments

• Co
      23rd of Apr, 2008

Alamo is great!! The customer service is amazing especially at St.Pete/Clearwater Airport. The employees there are so nice and helpfull with anything the customer needs. I seriously recommend PIE Alamo if traveling in the Tampa Bay area.

17th of Oct, 2008

People beware. Alamo is a big scam. They will rip you off, one way or another. They stole a $100 from me. Pay a few dollar more and go to another, but professional, company,

Just say no to alamo.