ADT Security Services / adt & their "authorized dealer"

1 United States

An ADT "authorized dealer" contacted my 90 year old mother with his speil about changing her current contract with another security company. She agreed to change to ADT because it would cost less (it was actually $1 and change higher). She would get new equipment which it wasn't, it was an older pad that you had to punch on many times to get the number entered. They programmed her life alert necklace that she already had instead of giving her a new one. The system also had no glass break sensors as her other system had. She changed to ADT without any of our knowledge; we found out after the fact. It turns out ADT was not buying out her contract with her current security company which left her with 2 security company bills. She and I contacted ADT and let them know that she did not need or want their service and that she was canceling her contract. She sent a certified letter informing them she was canceling her contract due to misrepresentation by their certified dealer and it was returned. I have spent a lot of time on the phone with ADT even asking for a supervisor to call me back (which never happened) to resolve the issue. They wanted her to buy out the contract for about $900. We had the automatic payments stopped at her bank. They are still calling and sending her bills. Any company that would prey on an elderly person like this is scum of the lowest order. They know when contacting people that they have a current contract. My mother did not understand that her current contact was not being bought out.

ADT has horrible business practices; preying on the elderly is as low as it gets!!

Mc