Menu
Carnival Cruise Lines
reviews & complaints

Carnival Cruise Lines
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

1042 complaints
758 resolved 284 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claimed
This account has been claimed by Carnival Cruise Lines customer service / representatives through our verification process.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Carnival Cruise Lines. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
5:54 am EDT

Carnival Cruise Lines - everything about the cruise

Date: August 5-10, 2018 - ID #: SID46863664

There were three of us. Myself, my husband, and my 75 year old mother in law. We were woken up every night by loud screaming adults right outside our room at all hours of the night and morning.

There were two dining rooms and one was regular seating. We couldn't go in there even though we were given a table number when we arrived. When I asked the reception area they couldn't explain why.

My room- The black out curtains in our room had numerous holes and the morning light shines thru.

Luggage- My mother-in-law's luggage didn't show up until after dinner on the first day.

Shore Excursions - Very disorganized. One of our Shore Excursions time was incorrect. Luckily there were three spots left for the time we wanted. They managed to book that time, but not until they charged me again and we were charged more since it was on the ship. We waited for an hour outside in the heat before we actually left. And honestly the excursions could have been anywhere - there was nothing special about them.

Pool - My pool sandal literally got stuck to the floor it was so sticky. There was an adult pool - however it was ten feet away from the only other pool on the whole ship!

My facial - All I wanted was a relaxing facial. She insisted on asking me a bunch of questions about my daily skin care. This of course was so they can try to sell me overpriced skincare products. After the least impressive facial I ever had she told me to wait in the room. After five minutes I left the room to use the restroom. She was at the front desk helping out another customer. So I waited there for a few minutes while she helped another customer. When she saw me she seemed quite annoyed and said " I told you to wait for me in the room". I advised her that I needed the restroom. Then she still insisted that we go back to the room so she can try to sell me products.

Casino - the casino allowed smoking. It was unavoidable as we had to go through the casino to register for the dinner in the dining room. From there we could walk down two flights of stairs to the dining room.

Guest Services - I tried calling them a few times during the week and not once did anyone pick up the phone.

Food - was okay. The drinking water out of the fountain did not taste right. I could only drink bottled water that I had to pay for.

You're asking for a resolution. I would like a refund. We saved for along time to take this cruise. And we decided to take my husband's mother with us as she just lost her husband. We thought it would be relaxing and of course enjoyable. But it was anything but that.

2 comments
Sep 26, 2018 11:11 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I don't even know where to start, I guess I'll just start by saying that this is not my first cruise with your company; however it was the worse cruise I've taken with any cruise line.
The ship, Carnival Dream, was filthy. Our cabin was musty and curtains were coming apart from the top so we had to be careful how we closed them. People were smoking in their cabins and we complained. All they did was sprayed some flowery smelly spray down the hallway. The food was horrible. We had room service several times because it didn't make any difference and at least we could eat in peace. They allowed people to smoke in the Casino, what difference does it make? We were still breathing the filthy air that circulates to the adjacent areas.
To make our trip even more disagreeable we had the most horrific experience in our last stop, Conzumel. My husband and I decided just to take a walk around the port. We stopped at a restaurant (I will provide names if needed) and had two Tecate each and guacamole with chips. There was a lady selling jello shots and another young woman selling jellos in the form of fruits. I wanted one, she told me it had Tequila. I said alright, I paid $3.00 and once I finish the "watermelon slice" we proceeded to get it up and pay. We wanted to get back to the ship. As I'm walking towards the exit something came over me and I completely blacked out. I could hear my husband and other tourists saying to pick me up and take me back to the ship. I also heard in Spanish someone saying, call an ambulance. This happened within seconds! As per the EMT I was out .30 seconds! How did they get there so fast? My husband requested that I be taken to the ship. I asked to be taken to the ship. The EMTs refused and told me they had to take me to the hospital. They gave me an IV. I felt better but I was taken to the hospital where
immediately I was surrounded by doctors and nurses all talking at once. Also a young man asking for my insurance card, social security number and debit card. I was confused and my husband was scared. We kept asking to please take us to the ship. A woman came in the room and she said she was the liaison between the hospital and the ship. She told me the ship wouldn't take me. She said that Carnival Cruise and "them" have an agreement. That when tourist get sick on land the hospital takes them and the ship wont take me back. They told me I could die. That I had a syncope. They called a cardiologist and I told him I wanted to go back to the ship. He repeated the same words almost verbatim. The cardiologist proceeded to do an EKG, the cardiologist said the results were "not conclusive" that he needed to do an ultrasound. Again I heard my husband asking for a telephone to call the ship. He was told the phone was for hospital use only. I heard my husband telling them that they were keeping us against our will. The cardiologist did the ultrasound. The results were "not conclusive". He order another test were they have to inject a dye. At this point my head was not as foggy. I had more strength. I asked the doctor what happens if you find that my arteries are blocked, - surgery?- The doctor said yes, we'll have to do surgery. I couldn't believe this, I screamed and told them I wanted to leave right away, my husband demanded a taxi. We were still scare, we didn't want them to call the police and accuse us of disorderly conduct. Two thousand dollars later they called a taxi that took us to our ship. The ship doctor requested the hospital to send the results to them. The ship doctor review the results and asked us to sign a waiver. Back home I went to my doctor. I am fine. I don't have a heart problem. What I have is a big disappointment that we were not cautious against the perils of unethical people. I am angry with your company for not advising us NOT to purchase food items unless its from well known establishment.
I wont be taken a cruise with your line ever again.

Sep 24, 2018 11:19 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I would like to start off by saying that this was my first cruise and not only that but it was my wedding cruise. I was traveling with 16 passengers with us. My 3 kids which one has allergies and is allergic to dairy eggs and milk and peanuts. This was notified well before we sailed. My son did not get the accommodations as he was promised at all. I was not notified that the Dr Seuss breakfast was only on sea day or I would have switched my wedding day. I was very upset to get on the ship to be informed of this. I feel like carnival just takes your money and doesn't explain anything. My party did not sit together at dinner like I was promised. The whole Wedding part was rushed I don't even feel like I got my moneys worth for the time given I felt it was rushed. My mother in law is vegan and she did not get accommodated for her food choices as well. I was suppose to have special embarkation and debarkation and did not get this either. My mother in laws ceiling part of the tiles were falling she requested a different room no one ever got back to her. When I got to my room my wedding dress was all over the hall opened out of the bag. I called guest services immediately and they never did anything about it. I was promised a lot of things that were not even possible example I was not told about my picture price until after I had paid for my room so me and my travel called carnival and they said they would make an exception and I could buy my proofs. So I told my photographer this as well he said he never heard of this. So I called my travel agent and the photography manager at the same time and he said that he wasn't giving anything for free first off I didn't ask for anything for free he was very rude and told me that he wasn't going to sell me my digital proofs. I kept explaining to people this was my wedding not just a cruise this is something you can never replace or fix it its a once in a lifetime experience. Since I was booking as a group I was able to get gifts for my guests for coming to my wedding carnival couldn't even get my gifts right. When I was disembarking off the ship some bags didn't get put out the night before remember it was my first cruise I was told no one would help me off the ship I had to put my 15 month on luggage and roll it out with him on top to try to get it off the ship. I was very disappointed my honeymoon dinner its the same dinner steak and lobster you just don't pay the 20.00 I told the hostess I don't eat that can they make me something else no give it to your husband then. The breakfast in bed was a joke its the same menu as anyone can order it didn't make me feel special the champagne for the wedding was so gross. I felt they used the cheapest alcohol on board they could possibly get. I was very disappointed with this and guest services doesn't help at all. my husbands aunt had a handicap room and she didn't even get a wheel chair on board a few nights she missed dinner because she couldn't walk that well. we have saved up for this special vacation for a long time and I want a refund. carnival has been notified they have not helped rectify the situation yet. still waiting

T
4:22 pm EDT

Carnival Cruise Lines - station steward using our cell phones

Tonia and Earl Scott
877 Marymount Ave
Norfolk, VA. 23513

I had the pleasure of cruising on Carnival Sunshine from June 29, 2018 to July 7, 2018. Since I have returned home, I became aware that my cellphone and my husbands cellphone were used when we left them in our room to charge. On July 2 @ 3:40 pm and 3:54 pm our cellphone was used to call [protected], on July 5, @11:52 pm and on July [protected]@8:28 pm and8:46 pm. Each call lasted one minute, but it cost me $29.95. I was under the impression that when I left my room it was secure. The only person who had access to my room was the stateroom steward, Komang. If this the type of service that will be offered on your cruises I will find myself sailing on your competitors cruise lines.

Tonia L. Scott

11:49 am EDT

Carnival Cruise Lines - carnival victory cruise booking 3vdj73

This is my second attempt to lodge a complaint with no formal response from this cruise line. Sail date was 08/20/2018 to Bahamas out of Miami . We experienced waste coming up from the floors in our bathroom on the last morning. Unable to take a shower due to the horrible smells that accompanied the waste; we actually had to put towels down to do in and brush our teeth, throw water on our faces and left to go into a family members stateroom because of the smell. Also, during this trip we endured marijuana smells permeating our floor at night. As a travel agent I am finding it very unprofessional that no one has called or followed up with an email to date. Pictures are attached.

L
2:28 pm EDT

Carnival Cruise Lines - internet pricing

I booked a cruise on the internet and later when I got a booking confirmation I never took notice of the price I was charged which appears in the right hand corner at the bottom of the page. I only glanced at the date, room number and itinerary. Later when I went to the e-mail to book some shore excursions did I notice the price charged. I had made notes of the cost of the cruise when I booked it and it was $619 plus $130 tax and port fees for a total of $1498. The total charged on the booking confirmation was $1626.80. $128 more than I was quoted online. I went back online and the same midship room type on deck 7 was now only $1427 total. I phoned customer service and asked about the price guarantee and was told that room I had booked on deck 9 was now priced at $1626 and would not be going down in price as the ship was nearly sold out. She said she had no way to confirm the deck 7 price as it was now sold out as well. I told her this was my fifth trip with Carnival and that I had never encountered a price difference from the internet to what was actually charged. Her only solution was to put me in the rear of the ship on the 6th level. I want the price of my cruise to be reduced by $200 either by bringing the price down or an onboard credit Or I will never book a cruise on Carnival again and will do my best to discourage anyone from doing so.
Cruise booking is on Horizon, Jan 26, 2019 and booking number is 3PVJ64

1 comment
P
Sep 14, 2018 3:13 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

So you got a confirmation and didn't bother to read it to make sure it was correct? The problem is with you.

F
4:03 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

SILP-SS-IS-[protected]-2 Carnival Inspiration 06/01/2018 2TGJ09 R137 I needed ER services after dialing 911 it took over an 1hr to get any assistance. I was charged for the "services". After complaining on the lack of service the below was sent "We truly regret Ms. Mendez's impression from this cruise was so unfavorable. While we too share in her...

T
9:28 pm EDT

Carnival Cruise Lines - service

My cousin, friend and I just returned from a 4 day cruise from Jacksonville Florida to Nassau and Freeport Bahamas. This is not my first trip on Carnival and I had raved to my cousin in our friend how great my previous trips had been. We had booked a junior suite as there were three of us and according to the website this is a roomier Suite. upon entering our suite I was shocked at how small it was. Not only was it small but it was overcrowded with furniture. I understand having the couch in there as it turned into the third bed but there was alsoa chair that did not need to be there and a coffee table that did not need to be there. We push the coffee table under the vanity and move the vanity stool into the corner to make more room. Are stewardess Asus upon arriving hot if we wanted our clean room cleaned once or twice a day and we responded to her once a day would be fine. we did not realize that this meant she was not going to clean our room until evening other than cleaning bathroom, making beds and emptying trash the cleaning was not up to par. Dirty drinking glasses were left on the desk and 2 out of the 4 days my friend bed was not made properly. The service we received in the dining room was slow( not busy at the time) and when our dinner came it was luke warm at best. We did enjoy the comedy shows but overall, I will most likely not cruise with Carnival again.

D
6:30 pm EDT
Carnival Cruise Lines has left an official reply on this complaint.

Carnival Cruise Lines - no air conditioner in the room for over 2 days.

On August 28, 2019 I was going on vacation on carnival horizon, booking # 1PVD72. There was no air conditioner for 2 day with four people in the room, It was terrible. I gave complain twice to guest services and nothing was fix. The room temperature was 78 degree. We would change and we would be sweating. The room the booked us was also in deck one no good. The first deck you feel all the movement of the boat ugh horrible.

10:50 am EDT

Carnival Cruise Lines - refund

Hello- I was scheduled (single) on a 5 day cruise from Tampaon 9 / 10/18. I fell August 30 th and broke my hip and had an emergency partial replacement. On aug 31, 2018. I called carnival on 9/2/18 my first day homesnd I was told I would have a refund of $158.00 of a $1198.00 amount. I was hoping someone could review and maybe increase my refund, $500.00 was a gift card from my son and grandkids. I don't want to tell them I lost the money for the trip they sent me. I did not buy insurance as this is my first broken bone and I am never sick and did not want it. I will include a photo of the surgical site.

N
2:13 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My family planned a trip to Cuba on September 26 th. Before the cruise, Carnival sent me an email to register for the cruise. While registering, Carnival allow me and gave me the option to use either a Passport card or Passport card. While continuing to register, I submitted my daughters Passport card not to my knowledge that it wasn't going to be accepted...

J
8:13 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

These are the events that occurred on Tuesday August 28th upon the Carnival Glory where I was assaulted. Let it be known that when I did the Carnival Cruise survey they have all of this information which I also sent them. And I still have not heard back from them. This was our first cruise we had ever taken. We were travelling with other family members, 14...

8:49 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

September 2017 I went on an excursion, in which the bus driver did NOT drop us off at our location. This made us almost an hour late and we did not receive the correct/proper training. I could not successfully scuba dive. We skipped over a lot of stuff. Therefore, I mentioned this and still did not get what I was told to expect as far as a refund. Fast...

2:03 am EDT

Carnival Cruise Lines - unauthorized credit card charges

Hi
Almost 2 months ago me and my son were on one of your cruises to the Bahamas.
You charged my credit card 100$ as a deposit saying I will get it back a week after the cruise is over . Two months later and nothing, I filled out the form on your web site twice, I went personally to the Bank and they know nothing about any refund .
This charge is illegal because I did not get any service for it and you never gave it back .
I want to get it back as a credit on my credit card, the same card you charged me over a 1, 000$ for the cruise, a.s.a.p

Oren Dann
Booking #: 3JHV54
E-mail- [protected]@msn.com

9:27 pm EDT

Carnival Cruise Lines - toilet back up

Spent the last 7 days on the Breeze, most disgusting spell in our spa room 11222. Toilets backed up, in shower. Smell was horrible, called our Stewart he kept apologizing, I know it wasn't his fault but it was so nasty for a vacation! Then people on our floor started talking everyone's were backed up and carnival gave some rooms credit, some back packs, we all had the same issue, and we didn't get even a room freshener! Why would you not do the same for everyone that had the same issue? Very disappointed differently not the fun time with best vacation garentee we experienced!

C
10:35 am EDT

Carnival Cruise Lines - poor organization skills

I just returned home from a 7 day cruise Carnival Glory leaving August 25, there were several occasions that caused me to lose over 6 hours of my cruise in a line waiting to speak to someone from customer services. We were a total of 14 traveling together, the purpose of our trip was to spread the ashes of my deceased wife.
Four of my family members had errors on their cards throughout our cruise where they could not make purchases because their information was recorded incorrectly.
Then on day three my 60yr old brother gets attacked by a 20 yr old drunk that jumped him from behind punching him in the head and face. How the security team handled the incident was poorly done while our family was fearing for our younger members not knowing if they may get jumped as well, left us all uncomfortable and ruined most of the trip.
Then I see the arcade room and saw the price for young children to play arcade games, then getting charged for gratuities on my credit card without my consent which put my credit card company in alert mode causing all my sign and sail cards unusable. until I was able to contact my credit card company and rectify, though had the Carnival people simply contacted me first this would have been avoided.
Not to mention the fact that automatically charging gratuities gives the servers and bartenders their tips regardless of their performance.
There were a number of servers that were rude and ignored our requests making us wait, I say us because it happened to more than one in our group.
overall I think Carnival should change it's name to "Carnival Greed"
My family and I will be sharing our experience and my brother and his wife will be contacting a lawyer as well as local newspapers to make others aware of how Carnival treats their passengers.
and will never travel with "Carnival Greed" again.

Update by Carnival Greed
Sep 17, 2018 1:15 pm EDT

So I get an email from Carnival customer service asking me to call their 1-800 number to assist me with my recent terrible cruise experience, against my better judgement I called. After being placed on hold for over 20 minutes I gave up, just another sign of how uncaring and greedy Carnival Greed is...

7:05 am EDT

Carnival Cruise Lines - beds in our rom

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

last week (24.8.-27.8.18) we were on a Carnival Victory cruise (3 adults) from Miami to Nassau. Actually we have booked a room for three people and three bed of course. But the third bed was only a folding bed, not in the same size as the others. This was really uncomfortable and therefore a really disappointing occurence for us. We told the guest service, but there were no kind and helpful at all. We wish you to compensate this confrontation.

Kind regards,
Ahmet Oeylue

Update by medicus96
Aug 30, 2018 7:14 am EDT

This complaint ist not valid!

G
7:23 pm EDT

Carnival Cruise Lines - airfare

Booked airfare with cruise thru Carnival, Thought it would be easy to book airfare with cruise, Part of return flight was cancelled and I filed a claim on July 4th. Was just informed Carnival does not refund airfare. Its in the fine print and was not told of this when flight was booked. What a Scam, total dishonesty and basically I paid for a service that was refunded to them but not to me per American Airlines.

2:55 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I was charged $883.00 because I had to cancel a cruise that was paid in full in march of 2018. I just talked to an advisor from phone number [protected] she asked me to email you all at carnival so that I can get a 1 time credit towards another cruise next year. I went on carnival conquest last year. My booking number is 8bg4n7. I thought the insurance wa...

C
2:25 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Order of itinerary was changed after excursions where booked. Was told information would up date and match no order. My excursions still reflect old order causing an issue with being able to book other excursions. Also price of some of the excursions is higher then when I booked my excursions. Instead of Carnival correct my information customer service...

2:39 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Just returned on 08/24/2018 from Carnival Victory out of Miami to Nassau for our 18th anniversary needed a quick getaway. It was for the most part a decent trip. Ride was smooth, check in process great, food good. My major complaint which I was unable to lodge with the housekeeping because no phone was answered and Guest Service was just too long --was on...

N
10:16 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

We had to cancel our cruise because of a unforeseen problem at our home. We had a major leak in our upstairs bathroom. Our shower pipe was cracked as well as the tub, which leaked down into our kitchen ceiling and light fixtures. The cost was what we were taking our cruise with. I can provide photos and the cost of repairs for your review. We were refunded...

Carnival Cruise Lines contacts