Menu

complaints

Avis Complaints Summary

65 Resolved
398 Unresolved
Our verdict: With Avis's very poor resolution rate, careful consideration is needed. Research their service comprehensively, and read up on how they handle customer disputes. If you face issues, be prepared for potential challenges in obtaining resolutions and explore other service providers as backups.
File a complaint
Verified
The authenticity of the customer service contact information for Avis has been meticulously verified by representatives from ComplaintsBoard using our proprietary verification system.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Avis. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
Claim Your Business
Take control of your profile: address complaints and engage with reviews

Avis complaints 463

Sort by:

Newest Avis complaints

8:31 am EDT

Avis they wanted to get really large sum. but they wanted to overcharge us

We got the letter and bill from the company Aviscar Inc. We were shocked, when we saw the price, which we needed to pay. These jerks decided to fool us and asked to pay really large sum. We called them and tried to explain for what was this sum, but the rep immediately stopped to communicate with me. I have no idea what to do now and of course we are not ready to pay such sum. Please, help us.

D
8:03 am EDT

Avis fake check, impossible to reach these jerks

I got the letter from the company AvisCar Inc. They enclosed the check for $2, 000 and some ### was in the letter. I was really shocked and have no idea what to do now. I tried to find the contact info of these scammers, but nothing. I want to clear this situation and get some answers, so please maybe someone can help me. Post comments and share your views about them. Thanks.

11:18 am EST

Avis charged for erroneous cleaning

I have been renting from Avis for 25 years averaging 10+ rentals a year and have rarely had any problems. Imagine my surprise when I got a letter after my most recent rental saying there was a stain in the car and they were charging me a cleaning fee. I called customer service and they told me they had photos (which they refused to send me) and that the stain was in the back seat. Now I knew something fishy was going on since I had rented the car for less than 24 hours and never even opened the back door of the car. I was on an overnight trip with a single carry on that I put in the passenger side foot well.

When I pressed the customer service agent on the issue and asked to speak to a supervisor they told me the evidence from the Ft. Lauderdale location was enough to warrant the cleaning fee and they were sticking by it. I explained that I had not even opened the back door and told them about my history with Avis. The supervisor removed the fee but in a way that made me feel like it was my fault.

Just a warning the locations are not corporate owned and can say whatever they want and corporate will back them up. Take pictures of the state you return you car because there is obviously something fishy going on down there in Ft. Lauderdale. Not the way I would treat a loyal customer who has been renting from them of 25 years.

T
8:22 am EDT

Avis refund of wrong debit

I had rented a vehicle from Avis in April. on arriving in Jhb, whilst driving on the motorway, a truck was changing lanes and accidentally knocked me on the back corner. this caused the car to start spinning and got knocked by the truck .

Despite the police report confirming that the fault was that of the truck, AVIS has unilaterally debited my account for all the charges. since then i have been trying to get AVIS to reverse the amount yet till date this has not happened. it has been over 4 months and countless emails, yet my emails go unanswered.

They have unilaterally debited my account, simply due to the fact that you have my credit card details and have used this at their discretion without any communication.
I need total accountability as per my various emails sent to them, for which I am yet to receive any feedback or response.

This accident was caused by the third party and all damages should be billed to their insurance. This has specifically been mentioned on the police report. This was also confirmed by Avis that the amount will be claimed back from 3rd Party insurance company.yet despite this, they have debited my account and are refusing to entertain my correspondance and or respond.

Please help me

9:32 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Avis cheating on gas charged

I recently rent an AVIS car through priceline.com and paid in full, from June 24, 2014 and returned onJuly 1st, 2014
with a full tanks of gas !
Usually when i returned the car there was attendants who check out the cars, but this time I saw none on the parking, and everyone have to lease their cars hope to get back to the airport,
Suddenly, today I saw a charged on my credit card of 35.62 $ I called credit card Company to dispute, and Avis response was for the gas !
So why I returned the car on July 1st, and 17 days later they decided to charged me on the gasoline ? that is totally FRAUD,
So the lessons learned here is: ALmost all the big rental care are in the shady businesses, they are out to rip off the consumers
I had a similar FRAUD with HERTZ couple years ago and they back off after the complaints when i filed,
No apologized at all ! very surprised with a big company like that !
very disapointed

B
3:50 pm EDT

Avis flat tyre

I filled the Avis rental car with fuel some 15 kilometres from Schipol Airport as the car was full when I received it 6 days earlier. Within a kilometre of leaving the busy garage on the A4 towards the airport the car seemed to be wobbling a little initially I thought it was the road surface until a driver waived at me as he passed. I pulled over and one of the rear tyres was flat. Fortunately I managed to inflate it ok and continued to the airport. I was asked by the Avis agent if I was happy with the car which I replied yes as it had been. I mentioned to him about the tyre and was then charged the princely sum of €330. P****d off to say the least! He said this was their minimum charge, what a rip-off for a flat tyre, wished I'd kept my mouth shut instead of being honest. I will never use Avis again.

S
4:09 pm EDT

Avis does not care about customers

This well known car rental company kicks it's customers when they are down! After having her purse stolen while out of town (car key included), if that wasn't devastating enough, listen how hard this company tried to help this customer. She was told that not only did they not have another key to the car (B.S.), but she would be charged not only to replace the key, but to change all the locks on the car. Then after she had to pay to have the car towed to their closest rental car lot, she was charged with not returning it to the same location. AFTER LEARNING ABOUT THIS AVIS DECIDED TO DO NOTHING! THEY FIGURED DOING THE RIGHT THING WAS NOT RIGHT FOR THEM. YOU SUCK AVIS!

12:07 am EDT

Avis the worst customer service ever!

4/7/2014 The worst customer service ever! The most discussing car which I didn't rent had stains on seats. Avis charged my visa card transaction went through when I looked at car I was shocked. I didn't leave lot! I waited for customer service rep to cancel my bank transaction which took them one hour cause they had other clients so I waited. My bank account is still pending even though I never rented Avis car. I called Customer service which they told me to call back on 4/8/2014 billing dept. I walked to another rental location which I thank God had clean non damaged cars. I have several pictures of rental car which Avis should know better then to rent a car like this.
My name is Alice C I'm disappointed on how Avis treated me.

Read full review of Avis and 5 comments

5 comments
Richard
Jul 29, 2009 5:02 pm EDT

Having recently hired from Avis I was disgusted to find they billed my credit card for a larger amount than quoted. My mistake was not reading the fine print prior to signing. Avis automatically bill its customers with travel insurance for personal effects even though I had my own insurance.

Nov 28, 2013 4:08 am EST

ALL AVIS-BUDGET RENTAL CAR HAVE BUILT-IN A TRACKING TRANSMITTRE, GPS SYSTEM, THEY KNOW EXACTLY ANY MOMENT WHERE THE CAR IS, PRICAY ISSUE? OR MORE? YOU DECIDE, ALL CARS, NO EXCEPTION, A YOUTUBE VIDEO WILL BE PRESENTED, WATCH IT

MkStItCh
West Seneca, US
Apr 08, 2014 2:47 pm EDT

Avis car rental has gone WAY down in customer service and quality of product... I did a rental last summer and I had a $100 gift certificate. When I went to pick up car they told me the gift certificate could not be used because I already had discounts on the rental. The gift certificate was a CASH purchase from a friend and had nothing to do with any discount.

chowur
Aug 14, 2011 10:19 am EDT

I initialed to insure my rental car. I thought it was $28 a day for 3 days. That's the only amount that I read. That was reasonable. I got a $182 deducted from my account. They said it was 28 for one kind of insurance, another $ amount for another kind, and another $ amount for some more.

$182! I am pissed! I don't know what I am going to do. I needed this money in my account right now.

L
L
LPK
Feb 12, 2010 7:53 am EST

I had the exact same thing happen to me at Avis in Tucson. The guy was so chatty and joking around so much, he failed to clearly explain what he was putting in the contract. Of course everything is done in initials so it's so easy to overlook. I paid over $300 of insurance that I didn't need. The refuse to do anything about it and could care less that people are getting mislead and ripped off. It's very sad when companies care nothing about the customer. I will never use Avis ever again no matter what.

W
2:59 pm EST

Avis etoll fradulant charges

For the second time Avis charged me for using their Etoll device, even though I never used it and paid cash for the one toll booth I go through. The first time they asked me to submit a receipt (fortunately I had asked for one), then wouldn't except the receipt as there was a 20 minute differential between my receipt and what their system showed me going through the toll booth. I had to escalate the issue to someone at corporate and eventually they gave me a refund. So now it happens again, and I get to go through the wonderful process of convincing them I didn't use that device. What's more interesting is that the first thing I do when I get in my rental car is tear the etoll device off the windshield and throw it in the glove box, so have no idea how it picked it up.
My advice - don't rent from Avis or if you have to make sure you get rid of that Etoll device.

3:52 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I rented a from Panama City Beach car after barely missing a bus to New Orleans. As I was pulling out of the rental location I noticed the air was low on one of the tires. I returned to the location to have them inspect the vehicle. They filled up the tire and told me not to be concerned about it; I wish I hadn't listened. I had to stop no less than 6 time...

11:05 am EST

Avis suspicious employee behavior

I had rented an Avis car online before I left for Liberia, Costa Rica. When we arrived at the Avis office, the two male emplyees took a long time drawing up the agreement for meto sign, then after some discussion in Spanish, they put an X through it and wrote up another without providing any explanation. Thenew agreement charged me double what I had agreed to online. The real deal breaker was when they wanted meto sign a BLANK agreement to pay whatever charges they would bring against me to the car listed on the paper. This was blank. When I filled in the licence number of the car, they ripped it up and said I had to leave it blank explaining to them that I was not signing a blank agreement. They would not even let me write the licence plate number on the bottom of the paper. I refused and left to go back to the airport where I rented a car from another car rental agency for $100.00 less and no blank agreement to sign.
I called my. Car insurance agent when I got home and she said I was very lucky to walk away from that.

6:14 am EDT

Avis refund/overcharged

On the 15 August i paid Rental carsCom R1225.17 and paid Avis directly on the 16 August 2013 a further amount of R1100.00 as a deposit before taking the car in respect of Booking Ref No:[protected]
On the 25 September i paid RentalcarsCom amount of R1177.61 and Avis R1200.00 in respect of Booking Ref No: [protected]. I was charged 426km instead of 126km, i booked this car on 200km free per day for 3days.
As at todate i have been send pillar to post by rentalcarscom and avis regarding my refund on both Bookings, it is already more than 8weeks now.I wrote several letters to Rentalcars com but they dont seems to be interested in solving this matter.Why do i have to wait more than 2months to get my refund? Who is benefiting the interest on this amount? When will my refund be paid back to my account, ?Why i was charged 426km by Avis instead of 126.I Rentalcarscom offices were in South Africa surely i would have visisted their offices and insist on being served in dignified manner.
Quicker to debit our account by it takes ages to be refunded!

2:46 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Avis car broke down, slow assitance

I rented a car for a conference. The care broke down on me. I called Avis. They sent a tow company but they did not show up for almost 3 hours. Then when they brought me a new car, it was pitch black outside so i could not check it for liabilities. They went to the wrong hotel intitally and were calling me continuously saying they were out front...they were at the wrong place. A tow company thats contracted through Avis showed up. They were carrying guns. I am sure it is for their own protection but it was alittle unnerving to me. They dropped the car off and left...not much interraction at all.
I did send a complaint to Avis through their customer care...they never responded. No attempt to rectify or even apologize is very disturbing and unappreciated.

B
6:41 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

August 9, 2013 Dear Avis Corporation, I would like to commend you for two of your employees at the Avis National Call Center. These two employees, Roni (employee # 31660) and Yuli (employee # 21550) both did an outstanding job assisting me with a car rental for my daughter. On August 9, 2013, I telephoned Avis @[protected] and spoke to Roni in an...

Read full review of Avis and 4 comments
2:06 am EDT

Avis rude customer service

This rental location is a family operated branch. The husband Zahi is rude disorganized and very short tempered. It is not a surprise that his son mimics the sawn demeanor. They literally ignore calls and customers and drag out the rental process. I have literally waited at the counter for over 40 minutes and then approaches with a negative attitude. They lack customer service, and organization skills. I have rented each wk for the last 2 yrs and the cars have a distinct odor, I find hairs, trash, and stains in upholstery almost 4/5 times. I have chose to rent from a different company entirely due to the above concerns

Read full review of Avis and 2 comments
2 comments
Nov 28, 2013 4:05 am EST

All Avis- Budget cars have built-in tracking transmitter, they know exactly where is the car, No privacy whatsoever, shame!

Nov 28, 2013 4:08 am EST

7:04 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Never use them. I wasted 2.5 hours of trying to call their local branch to see if they could pick me up (The reps on the 1-800 number offered me this service and confirmed it through the numerous customer service reps I spoke with). Since no one at the local branch could pick up a single phone call over the 2.5 hours, I spent the rest of my time calling the...

Read full review of Avis and 1 comment
4:12 am EDT

Avis scam rude managers and agents liars dont honor coupons

me and my husband planned a trip and booked for avis. we had a coupon they AGREED to honor but when we went to the counter they REFUSED to honor it due to stupid reasons. we asked to speak to a manager and this disgusting jerk named woodler came out and began yelling at us and arguing with us. he was SO unprofessional and rude..such a RUDE person and he did nothing to help us but just frustrated us more. avis has the WORST customer service and with the WORST managers ever. beware of this place and do NOT rent from them!

2:47 pm EST

Avis deposit refund

I mrs c claassen just want to complain about the 2 deposits that was not refunded to me when I rent a car from avis rental cars from youre branch in paarl, cape town. I have send a couple of emails and got only one feedback that I should submit the details, and after doing so nomore responds from youre company. I feel that youre service is very bad. I read about youre companies vision and values about honesty, humanity and empathy but have not received any of that. I hope that after this email that I will receive responds. I can be contacted at the following email address. [protected]@hotmail.com. Thankyou

7:03 am EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Avis they take the money and give no car

My husband had an interview in Oklahoma and we live in Ohio. I ordered a car to be waiting for him at the airport. Avis confirmed the order, took the money OUT of our account (we used a debit card), and sent us a confirmation. When we confirmed the rental the night before he left, we were told the only thing he needed was his return ticket and ID. He gets in in the middle of the night, goes to the counter and they would not give him the car. They first told him they do not accept debit card (oooops on their part, the website says they do, not to mention they already took the money!) They when he showed them the confirmation receipt (which states it is accepted with w return ticket). Then they told him he did not pass the credit check (him since when is 790 bad credit?). He ended up having to take a taxi for the 219 miles to his hotel room. Then of course to his interview and back to the airport. When I called to demand the money back they made the comment of keeping 100 dollars for not showing (ooooops sorry, he was there, they refused to give him the car.) and 100 dollars for last minute cancel (one, he showed up they refused to give him the car that was PAID for and two if they refuse to give you a car how are YOU the one canceling?) My advice...go somewhere else. Or have a major credit card that you can be ripped off on. They have the WORST customer service I have EVER run into. They left him stranded in a strange city, with no recourse and did not so much as loan him a phone book. When I called they tried putting all the blame on us while we had the proof they breached contract. One rep even asked me if I could read! We have received most of the money back now, but who knows about the rest.

G
9:54 pm EST

Avis refer a friend

hi my name is linda i refer two people to your company who purshace a car there and i was told that i would recive something for that .i spoke with a salesmans who ask me a series of question one question was my social sectuiry number witch i thought was very personal and he was very rud when i didnt give it to him . if that .s your policy then i don.t give that personal information out thank you

Overview of Avis customer experience

Avis, the car rental company, has received numerous consumer complaints regarding their services. Customers have reported issues with the company's customer service, billing practices, and vehicle maintenance. Many have complained about being overcharged or charged for services they did not receive. Others have reported receiving dirty or poorly maintained vehicles. Avis has also been criticized for their lack of transparency and communication with customers. These issues have led to a negative reputation for the company and have caused many customers to seek alternative car rental options.
Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

Avis contacts