Amazon.comamazon placed my account with debt collection agency

A

My boyfriend used my account (with my permission) and ordered a pack of CDs from a buyer through Amazon.com. We got the CDs just fine, the seller got his payment, and everything was hunky-dory.

Then, a couple of weeks later, I started getting these calls from this debt-collection agency, but they wouldn't tell me what it was about because they were using my boyfriend's name, since he placed the order. I got my boyfriend to call them back and we found out that an amount of $27.24, the exact amount of my boyfriend's CD purchase, had been placed with a collection agency in Alabama.

They could not tell us anything more than the amount owed and how to pay it (a lot about how to pay it). We told them that we did not owe the money because all my records showed that the guy got his payment (and we got the CDs). The agency told us that they didn't know anything about it. They didn't even know it was Amazon. They just knew they were supposed to get money from us.

We hung up and called Amazon. Of course, we all know that Amazon does not post its number on its site, for whatever reason so we had to google up a number. Amazon told us that everything was fine in their systems, too, just like my records showed. We told them we thought so, but this agency won't leave us alone (they called me about 5 times a day for almost two weeks - from 7:30 am to 9 pm and would not tell me why!).

Bottom line is, this collection agency has my name (though they have stopped calling) and amazon will not tell them that I don't owe them anything. I don't know how to get the two companies to talk to each other. We gave the agency Amazon's number, but they said they will not call amazon to verify that my account is fine. I don't even know how the agency got the number, unless amazon gave it to them, which they said they didn't!

So, I'm totally confused and I don't really trust Amazon very much anymore. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

• Vo
    volynn Sep 04, 2010

I have thee exact same problem right now. I don't want to give this company $75 for some prodcut they supposedly sent me (and I don't have anything in my Amazon records that match that amount), but can't tell me what the item is. It doesn't make sense because funds should be cleared before items are sent out to customers. On the other hand, I don't want to owe any money to collections. Also, if I give the $75 to the collection agency, they might take out more funds at a later date from my account. It all sounds shady and doesn't make sense.

• Bi
    bill bradley Dec 13, 2007

Tell them to stop calling, and leagally they can't call anymore.