Menu

I
Author of the complaint
10:31 pm EDT
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I signed my son up for swimming lessons at my local YMCA. From the first week of lessons we experienced many concerns. In hopes that we would see improvements within the program and the fact that my son was having fun, I let a lot of issues slide. What happened to us tonight was the final straw. Here I am asking for help! I do not know of another avenue to have my issues addressed! We had a makeup class tonight due to inclement weather. We received an email from the aquatics director on instructions on the makeup lesson information and commented, if anyone had questions or concerns to please call or email her. To confirm and also touch base with her, I reached out both via email and voice-mail (did not answer her direct line). Tonight comes for the makeup class. We invited grandparents to attend and had planned a pizza get together with the families afterwards. We are all excited and proud of how well our children have done. We wait and wait and wait. It is now 10 mins past our start time and there is no instructor..? So my husband and I go to check in with the front desk to find out what was going on. She couldn't give me an answer as to why no one was here. she proceeded running around borrowing peoples phones to try to get an answer. She came back and said she was sorry but the instructor was running late and they would be here asap. Awesome! So we wait and wait and wait. No one shows. Again, I ask for an update and she runs around AGAIN looking for answers. She returns to tell you us that the instructor said she is not coming.. what? So what are we supposed to do? We are all here with our small children dressed and excited for swim class.. how do you explain that and comfort the disappointment of something out of your control? I asked to speak to the aquatics director, whom I had called and emailed earlier in the week and had not yet received any form of communication back. She went back into the office for a few minutes. Came back and said she was unavailable and that I could email her or call her on Monday. There was nothing she could do to further help me. This was the most unprofessional experience I have EVER had. Is the YMCA in the business now of taking families money and not providing the services we have paid for. The management of the Yadkin YMCA needs serious attention. I do not think this was at all acceptable and I will be sharing my experience with everyone in hopes someone else's child does not experience this disappointment again.
Please someone in upper management contact me. I have gotten zero communication with the Yadkin YMCA management staff returned to me.

Also this to note:
1. Class started late and ended early most days
2. Had a new instructor each lessons.
3. Teenage boys splashing and cursing in the swimming lesson areas.
This was addressed with the life guard and the front desk manager. They informed me that as long as they are not disrupting the class, that it is allowed. WHAT? You bring your 1 yr old and 3 yr old to the YMCA for swim lessons and this is acceptable behavior the YMCA stands by? This is where you have to be concerned your children are getting exposed to cursing and disrespect!?
4. Another child, mother and grandmother swam beside swim class and preceeded to have their own swim lesson using the swimming teaching materials and our classes swimming area.

More YMCA complaints & reviews

YMCA - unprofessional director
YMCA - terrible value for the money
YMCA - personal trainer abusing his role
YMCA - discrimination by lisa/membership sales against a member
YMCA - Outdoor swimming pool access
YMCA - complain in regards unfair procedures
1 comments
T
Nov 15, 2021 2:05 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Feedback of swimming instructor for group lesson in East el camino. We drive around 30 mins to be there and have spent 300$ to learn swimming. But those lessons have not been useful at all. We are close to completion of session and have still not learnt anything. Instructor is punctual and means well but he is not able to teach swimming or techniques to practice. Initially we thought it could be us but this weekend we took help from a friend and he was able to help us better in a 40 mins session than the time in total we spent at YMCA. It feels such a waste of time and money to be there in cold to learn nothing. I am really disappointed in these sessions and will never recommend it to others.

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

243 complaints