YMCAdiscrimination

P

The YMCA have a Discriminatory policy in place whereby if your forced to stay in one due to being made homeless you may not apply to work in the building. Even if they have Jobs advertised on the notice board when you go in.

The YMCA promotes itself as being a Christian Charity but it doesn't seem very christian to tell a homeless person who's in dire need of employment they may not have a Job because they're staying in the building!

Discrimination means treating some people differently from others. It isn't always unlawful - after all, people are paid different wages depending on their status and skills. However, there are certain reasons for which your employer can't discriminate against you by law.

• Ga
    Gaurav Singal Sep 26, 2008

Content and website are good http://www.uponnet.com

promethius Sep 26, 2008

From providing housing, training and community health and fitness facilities to supporting young people and their families, YMCAs in over 250 communities in England encourage, support and challenge young people to become all that they can.

ROFL, yeah, just don't apply for a Job if your staying in one because they'll tell you that you cant have one!

promethius Sep 26, 2008

As of 11:58 GMT I have received no reply from their Deputy CEO with regards to this complaint. I would imagine the proverbial 'Cat' has got his tongue.

promethius Sep 26, 2008

Question "Can I apply for that Job?"
    Answer "Do you live here?"
    Reply "Yes!"
    Answer "NO"

promethius Sep 26, 2008

How Charitable and Christian of them...

• Be
    Berks County YMCA Dec 18, 2009

Well, at least they allow you to stay there. I have experienced discrimination from the Berks County, PA YMCA, to wit: Kim Miller, housing director, because I file a complaint against her earlier this year. My claim is that because I am not a christian, she is also using that against me. She has misrepresented the programs offered at this Y and truly does not hold any strong values that the Y is known for. She will not give a reason for this denial to allow me in a homesless assistance program and she has been saying that I am not a resident of this county. This is not true, I have been a resident of this county since 2006, and I am also a registered voter. She has come up with many excuses which do not hold any weight. This is a "funded" program, makes one wonder where the money really does go!

• Va
    Van legend Jul 04, 2010

I just went to YMCA today . This is my first time going there. I can't beleave it. They are so discrimated just because I'm Asian . The staff in there was given me attitude.

• Jp
    JPasqual123 Nov 19, 2019

@Van legend I'm Italian, but look Middle Eastern and they treat me like crap. I'm not surprised by the way you were treated.

• Qu
    Quiet42 Nov 16, 2010

Was severely discriminated against at my local YMCA because of my disability. NICE CHRISTIAN VALUES YOU Schmucks.
    "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians, they are so unlike your Christ". ~Gandhi

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices