Menu
YMCA
reviews & complaints

YMCA
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

231 complaints
38 resolved 193 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of YMCA. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

The contract says you have to give 30 days cancellation. What it doesn't say is they are going to charge you one more full month after the end of the month you have paid for when you turn in your cancellation request. If you give 30 days notice in the middle of a billing cycle, you still have to pay for the rest of that billing cycle PLUS one more full one...

View 0 more photos
I
5:33 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I currently work at a school, and I applied for several jobs so I could work during the summer while I am off from my regular job. After being offered a summer camp position at The Bridgeport YMCA, and filling out all employment paperwork, I then discussed a preplanned vacation that I had that I would take without pay and that I scheduled several month...

Read full review of YMCA

YMCA - terrible and rude pool staff

The YMCA pool staff are terrible in the area that I live in. My children attended swimming lessons and I recently took them out because of rude pool staff (lifeguards and instructors). I don't know if it is the same at the YMCA where you live but my children came home with a story about how the instructor was unfair and did not teach them anything. I would not advise you to continue swim lessons at the YMCA because you will probable end up disappointed with the results. After all it's teenagers teaching!

K
10:25 pm
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

YMCA - not honoring date of contract termination

Early November of 2014 I had to withdrawal my membership due to my physical illnesses & inability to attend the gym. I pointed out to the woman that I had only used my membership about 4 times & was wasting my money. I was also in need of future surgery that would not be done for a proud of time. So, I with Drew my membership that was $45.00/month. Then on Jan 15 2015 I noticed that I had charges on my account from the YMCA for Dec/Jan & Feb . But the worst was the I didn't catch it sooner bc my fees were no longer $45.00 but increased to $60.00 /month. Which I had no idea of. Needless to say I called. Talked to a Shannon on 1/15/15 about the matter. They logged I called to cancell my membership that day! In no way was that correct! I cancelled it in November before Thanksgiving. Long before my mother died in December of 2014, I put my dog to sleep on the 15 of Jan not visiting the YMCA! & the woman said I'd be responsible for Novembers fee then nothing there after!
So, I ask shy is the YMCA TAKING MONEY from a disabled person on a very low income living on SSIDI? That has very little money to feed herself let alone afford the proper health services needed? I can't prove why the date on the membership was not put through until January nor can I understand how the date of 11/15/14 got changed to 1/15/15 but this is almost too much to bare!

6:06 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Ymca in surbiton surrey are employing convicted men (inmates from prison) volunteer and become personal trainers to only abuse there roles and neglect young females with low self esteem!! This is where we the public should be asking our self's.. are we safe? With these convicted men being aloud to run around abusing people. A top prime example is of victor...

8:16 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I was quoted a monthly membership fee of $20.38 and agreed to an automatic bank withdraw from my checking account. When the bank withdraw was made $52.55 was charged to my account. When I contacted the corporate office and the membership director at the Y, they refused to credit my account back the difference. They have ignored follow up emails, voice...

S
4:39 pm

YMCA - staff rudeness/theft

I went in to the North Spokane YMCA to sign up. I was given a Guest Pass to see if I like the equipment and I was able to use the equipment one time and thought I would give it a shot. A few days later, I came back in and signed up officially. I specifically asked on my tour if I could lock my stuff up, I was told I could. I came in the following day and worked out and left brand new shampoo, conditioner, body wash, deodorant, face wash and Nike flip-flops in my locker when I left. I became very sick and was out of work and working out for 2 weeks. When I went back this morning, I was informed my lock was cut and my stuff was gone. I was told I would receive a call this afternoon. Since I heard nothing, I called back and spoke to MEEGAN, who laughed at me and said my stuff was all donated. I explained I was never told the policy and there were no signs up in the locker room stating the policy. To no avail. I will never go back there!

10:25 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

There is aok is on its highest level.ection ymca who blasts the zumba session music waaay too loud. The zumba instructor at the bronx castlehil to ymca staff several times about a zumba instructor named erika blasts the music at its highest level. A few other members complain each time she does zumba because it is extremely loud. We cannot hear each other...

A
8:06 am

YMCA - bullied, discriminatory and threaten

The Ymca have a Discriminatory and Threaten policy inlace whereby if your forced to stay one due to being made a deaf.

We attend 5am-7am to play basketball every wed and friday.

I am very disappointment with YMCA Staff Because when Somebody say that he going punch in my face and Staff Didn't careless but Laughing at me. Stab my back that I can't hear them. But i Can read the lip. One person who start threaten me then Everybody start theater me. Either Staff doing nothing but walk me out of the door. I didn't do anything wrong in every week. I alway get pick on and Im weak link on the Basketball court. when I try to work it out and move on with other player, They like to play the game with me and saying, " Huh, Im deaf, and Laughing front other people" The Ymca Staff just sat down and Listen to conversation and laugh along with them. Staff threaten me that If I get into argument and they will suspend me that i didn't do. They never warn other player that to leave me alone or stop bullied. Not even one time. It goes on and on. I ma very loyal with YMCA more than 4 year and I dont have any problem with people and staff. I was minding my business and do my thing. I am different and I need make a change. I want YMCA Staff to do better job before they let it happen and make it worse. I need your support and what Should I do?

10:53 am

YMCA - handicapped lifts

Their handicapped lift chairs to get handicapped people in and out of the pools are in need of repair. One one the far side by the slide pinched my fingers told and asked for this one to be fixed since last 2 years. its the cool pool best for some one with my handicap to be in. The 94 degree pool that lift chair is tilting to much to bring people in and out with out help from life guard. These to chairs are close to 10 yrs old time to be replaced after all, the equipment in fitness room gets replaced more. Ignoring how many handicapped people use these chairs during the week.
I looked into what one brand new one costs 2500-4500 dollars and professionally installed. I even have pamphlets on it.
Tried calling cooperate which i got 713 659 5566 but turns out to be a residence.
Email. [email protected], 281 730 1849

S
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Incessant, daily noise all summer long at ymca camp Housed at prek montclair nj (Corner of church street & orange rd) Screaming on megaphones, or yelling and chanting - sounds like Nazi nuremberg rallies. Ongoing... Constant... Daily. Town refuses to enforce noise / nuisance laws. I have called Essex co, dep. Governor's office... You name it. Stephanie wood orange rd montclair [email protected] Montclair. Edu

D
11:49 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Stephanie DobsonAssociation Aquatics Director This women is racist and said horible name calling about me being fat in my swimming suit and being too black "Big=boned" bcause im a black women an my boobs are too big.. My swimming suit covered up my whole body and nothing was showing. I was assulted by her and a staff person on my way out. when i was leaving...

A
4:33 am

YMCA - unbelievably rude on the phone to me for no reason

I am writing about an important issue that I feel maangement at YMCA needs to recognize...I called to inquire about a small room and the guy told me the system was down to call back in a few hours when its up. I did so, and he said he had a small room available then. I said ok I would like to know if I can stay the max stay for a month, then he tells me there might be a few days in the small room but not for a month, then he proceeds to say there is a bigger room thats available. I said ok for how long, and he acts all quiet, barely even responded, and was just overal rude. He didnt give me any details, asked for all my information, my personal name, my address, my birthdate, , everything that I gave to him. I told him you you know what, I dont like your attitude right off the bat on the phone, I remember his name I beleive might have been John if I recall, and instead of reporting him to management at the YMCA, I just told him im not interested and was totally turned off by his attitude, now just picture how they must treat people who choose to stay in there rooms if this is how he is talking and treating me like this on the phone. It was so disrespectful, a turn off, rude, and just unprofessional at its best. ...and the funny thing is, is I was nothing but being understanding and polite when Asking and inquiring about the rooms and stuff that I did not deserve to recieve not one ounce of what this man showed towards me in terms of hositlity and rudeness. I will never stay at the Greenpoint YMCA and im glad I Never stepped foot into it after this phone call and the way this guy spoke to me. I feel bad I gave my information out and then he talked to me this way, but Its ok. I do not care either way. Just want to let everyone know this is how I got spoken to for no reason, and all i was doing was being polite and just inquring and then he was acting like Iwas being rude, accusing me and going Sir i told you earlier this that, etc it was just unbelievably rude and normally id report him to management but I do not care. I just hung up and said sorry your too rude for me im not interested no thank you. Just wanted to let you now how disappointed and mad I was at the way I was talked to. This occured on June 21, 2014 at about 4:15 A.M. in the morning, So if that can help to identify who was working there at that time in case the name is incorrect, Then I hope it is of help. Once again, I am not mad at YMCA at all but I will not stay at that branch and I apologize for any inconvience this might have caused you by sending you this E-mail. If you need tocontact me any further, you can do so by E-mail at [email protected] Once again, im sorry but I felt you neeeded to know and also how fuirious and mad I felt being talked down to so rude and inconsiderate the way he did to me. Take care.

Sincerely, Anthony J. of Brooklyn NY

1 comment
Jun 21, 2014 5:34 am

Well... I never heard once how he was being rude.
It was just you saying things like " I said ok for how long, and he acts all quiet, barely even responded, and was just overal rude. "
That is an assumption or conclusion on your part. It does not say how he was rude.
You did say how you were rude and hostile to him which I find ironic since you needed something from him.

Maybe you need to NOT call places like this at 4am when the staff is at a minimum level and 1 person is doing a lot of work.

I
1:18 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

The folowing are my opinions and beliefs only: I was at this YMCA in coon rapids, MN. I was alone in the locker room with a strange looking black woman who hovered around a mirror that was near my locker. I believe that She was kind of heavy set, had bow legs. wore tight clothing, had medium or long black hair. She always had her back or side to me so I...

Y
1:57 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I was a member of Surbiton ymca gym for over a year when ive had the most horrific time with the way I was treated and how the situation wss dealt with... I have been badly treated by the Surbiton ymca, as they are still employing a man that works and personal trains there. This horrific man trys grooming his clients... by becoming more than a personal...

Read full review of YMCA

YMCA - liars and kidnappers and child molseters

The YMCA st.catharines hires prostitues that sell drugs to children they allowed someone other then the parent to pick up a child that got kidnapped and sexuall abused by their employee Colleen. They allow this to go on because the managers Mimi and Allen help with the kidnapping and sexual assault to take place at st.catharines family YMCA

5:03 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I was lifting wieghts at 3 pm like i always do when one of the hourly employees tells me disrespectully to take it easy on that bar. She watched me for a few minuets and kept following me aroung the weigh lifting area. She said for me to stop dropping the weights then i told her there is weights on it its not going to just barley touch... Some lady with...

11:16 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I was recommended by my friends to try the one week pass before signing up as a membership. My friend tried this promotion last month and she just got the membership a day ago. We called them before we head there, and they said the promotion is till available. In October 8th, 2013 10:20pm. We were served by a staff named "David" at the YMCA in Markham...

11:04 am

YMCA - rude members

In the female changing room, some Armenian women sit on the bench talking and spread their belongings all over the bench. The bench is supposed to be shared. Some signs should be posted in the changing room and remind them not to be selfish.

G
2:34 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Aldo rocha Director of sports and recreation West valley family ymca 18810 vanowen street, reseda, ca 91335 (p) 818.774.2840 ext. 3319 (f) 818.776.0153 (c) 818.438.2679 (e) [email protected] (w) www.ymcala.org The y: we're for youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Dear mr. aldo I am the father of two children, playing in...

YMCA contacts