Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] Logo

Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO]

Having problems with Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO]?

Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Aug 7, 2007. The latest review property # 1089244 Cabin with Spectacular View of Whiteside Mountain on VRBO is a DUMP!!! DO NOT RENT!!! was posted on Jul 28, 2021. The latest complaint won't allow negative honest post was resolved on Sep 08, 2014. Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 203 reviews. Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] has resolved 32 complaints.

Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] Customer Service Contacts

+1 877 202 4291 (Customer Service)
Suite 300, 1011 W. Fifth Street
Austin, Texas

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] Customer Service. Initial Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO]. Discuss the issues you have had with Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] Complaints & Reviews, Page 5

VRBO / Vacation Rentals By Owner — hilton head island 205 the greens shipyard

On June 1 at 6PM I was told that my grandson who was shot by a pellet gun in the neck was unable to travel...

VRBO / Vacation Rentals By Owner veronica & karim vrbo property id #1038976

We checked in at approximately 5.30 pm on Friday May 18 upon our arrival the property maintenance outside was not kept. Once we walked into the property there was a very strong sewer odor coming from beneath the house. One of the landings in the dock were broken with visible rusty nails to get on to the dock you had to go thru the other entrance behind the garage. Upon check out all dishes were washed and put back all bed linens were put on top of the washer and towels were put in the Master Bath tub as requested. Veronica even asked if we could start a load of Laundry (this property charges $135.00 cleaning charge) Kitchen was cleaned before leaving only leaving a small stain in the freezer drawer where a bottle of beer leaked. The grill was used only one night to grill ribs. According to the property owner she says that there were heavy grease splashes all over the wall no grease was used only the actual grilling of the ribs. Per her cleaning crew there was a black stain on her couch, towels and bathroom floor rugs were stained. Only a hand towel was stained due to the poor quality of the water that would come out orange from the pipes. This property is priced pretty low at $168.00 a night with a cleaning fee of $135.00 plus the booking fee. Refundable deposit which I believe which is not refundable in their case is $500.00. I am under the impression that they use all these fake claims to keep that deposit. This is my second time using VRBO/HomeAway. This was not a very good experience I think I will stick to traditionally using Hotels to not have to go thru this Dishonest exchange of services. I would like to see my refundable deposit be refunded to me. Myself and all other guests that stayed will be giving Beware notice Reviews to all future victims that stay in this property.

PS If I were VRBO I would not allow this property owner to rent home due to the Huge Liability exposure it has on the property with that broken dock. Also front and back of home property is extremely unkept.

VRBO / Vacation Rentals By Owner problem of payment

Hi,
    I'm very disappointed. I've called 4 times VBRO about a problem of payment the property I've reserved. I've also called my credit card MC.
    It seems the problem is the adress doesn't match with the adress of the card.
    However, I verified several times and I'm sure I wrote the good adress.
    I think that the web site has a problem.
    I won't reserve anymore from VBRO! It took me 2 hours and nothing is solved!
    Lyna

VRBO / Vacation Rentals By Owner — first and last time using vrbo

First time booking with VRBO, as I usually use Airbnb. Let me tell you, I will be sticking with...

VRBO — my security deposit was not returned

On April 1st my granddaughters and I rented a cabin in Gatlinburg TN. We checked out on April 4th and left...

Thorntown

VRBO Contract ID Contract ID #: 21043no return of security deposit upon death in the family!

My husbands siblings, their spouses and our kids live all across Canada and had rented a large home to meet and vacation together in Arizona. A few days before leaving on our trip, his father had a sudden massive heart attack and died. He was either the father-in-law, father or Grandpa of everyone on the trip. We immediately cancelled everything and flew to his family. We had already paid via wire transfer a 600USD dollar damage deposit (which worked out to over 800 dollars Canadian). It was supposed to be mailed back after the trip when the house was found undamaged but never appeared. That was almost a year ago. I finally contacted VRBO and told them since we never made it, we obviously never damaged the property and I wanted my deposit back. They said they would contact the owner and get back to me in 1-2 business days. That was a month ago and they have just chosen not to respond to my last two e-mails.

VRBO / Vacation Rentals By Owner rental of property #1043335

I am writing a formal complaint about property # 1043335. We have been in contact with the management team and they have ignored our emails. The unit was filthy upon arrival, it was filled with bugs, cockroaches and rodents. Infested! We alerted them to the issues while onsite and they left chocolates and a starbucks card on our door. We spent 5800 dollars to rent this "presidential suite". We have always stayed with VRBO and always been satisfied. We want them to refund our money. We would never provide a place like this to anyone nor refuse to reply or reimburse for conditions that were beyond abysmal. My son, who is five years old, was bitten while sleeping and still has nightmares that he is getting bitten by bugs. This is Unacceptable. Please help

VRBO / Vacation Rentals By Owner payment not in displayed currency

Booked property 4747883 February 8, 2018 for 6 nights in Cape Town.

I booked this property on the Canadian web site for a displayed price of $315 Canadian. Once booked,.. I was charged $310 US.
          When I went to the US web site just after booking, and put in the dates that I booked, it showed a price of $250 US and showed the property unavailable. Also, on the Canadian web site it showed a price of $315 Canadian (I have screen shots of both).
          I submitted a complaint to VRBO #[protected] and talked to a representative several times. He said the screen shots are just an average price not reflecting the actual price, yet when I went to the web site to check prices of the dates before or after our booked dates, I got the same rates of $315. Canadian and $250. US. Now, after a few weeks, I check the web site again and the Canadian rates have changed to $392 per night.
          VRBO said this a client issue and the client would have to lower their rate and unfortunately VRBO cannot do anything. They washed their hands of the issue. I contacted the homeowner and he was very helpful, but also doesn't understand why the difference in pricing. He said he didn't know what he could do.
          The VRBO representative told me that I can cancel the property and book something else. This is totally unacceptable as I would loose the exchange rate difference in buying and selling.
          I find this whole situation very frustrating and costing me way more than what was quoted on the web site. VRBO is not helping me at all. Very disappointing.

payment not in displayed currency
          payment not in displayed currency

VRBO / Vacation Rentals By Owner — vrbo.com #297082 rental

We are both seniors (69 and 71) and saw a rental unit at North Coast Village that looked very nice for a...

VRBO / Vacation Rentals By Owner — vrbo not user friendly for the owner

Booking ID HA-3M0D5P·695856 A renter booked my villa on January 31, 2018 using a credit card. She completed...

VRBO / Vacation Rentals By Owner — vrbo 451-073

Date of VRBO rental 451073 was 11/13-11/27, 2017. Waikoloa colony villa #2101 I contacted you regarding a...

Puako

VRBO / Vacation Rentals By Owner your website being used to scam people

I was scammed out of £830 via your website. I contacted yourselves straight after paying the scammer and was NOT advised correctly by your employee. I have claimed using the basic rental guarantee but you are only offering to pay me back £700 and not the full amount that we scammed from me. I am now officially complaining to yourselves to again give you the opportunity to use your discretion and decency to return all my money before I take further legal advise and also contact the media in regards to your employee not advising me correctly. If your employee had done so then payment could have been stopped and I would not be £830 out of pocket. I also supplied your company with a copy of payment receipts yet again your employee did not advise that payment had been made incorrectly (you didn't get paid your fee?). I was the one who in fact advised your company that this listing was fake yet I am now financially out of pocket! Here is case reference etc VRBO # 8375082 Case # [protected]. Have a look at ALL the evidence yourself. I have already spoken with a solicitor here in Scotland and have been advised I do have a strong case against your company. I will also have no hesitation in alerting the media and will also provide them with ALL the evidence to prove your employee failed me on more than one occasion.
            I am awaiting your timely response to this official complaint.

[removed]

VRBO.com — vacation home rental

I reserved a home in mid-August 2017 on VRBO.com for a week beginning on July 21, 2018, VRBO #487010, near...

Vacation Rental By Owner — price gouging during hurricane

I was trying to rent a guest home in Homestead, Florida for dates 9-23-17 through 10-23-17 at a rate of...

Homeaway/VRBO — home rental

I rented a home - 1100 6th Ave. Broomfield, Colorado, on Feb. 13 for a first payment of $1, 306.00 and on...

VRBO / Vacation Rentals By Owner unfair review from owner

I get an email saying an owner has reviewed me as a renter. (Didn't know that feature was available). I left the property in top notch condition with one exception: the last thing I did before leaving was use the bathroom. Well the toilet obviously stopped up when I was already out the door. So she just destroys me in her review of me in every category. What to do?

VRBOproperty rental at hilton head

I just rented a property today for $199 and when I went back to look at the property online the price had been lowered to $160. I feel like I have been duped. If I had waited a few hours I would have been able to rent the same property for $39 less per night for a week. The cost difference is $273. I called customer service requesting an adjustment. They told me they would email the owner. Since they are the ones who handled this transaction I feel they should be the ones to make the adjustment. I am waiting for a response. If I don't get an adjustment then not only will the owners and VRB/ Home Away get a bad review but I will never do business with your company again. This is not the first time I have rented through your company. This is poor customer practice to change the price within hours of reserving a property. My reservation # is HA-FLP5HW. The property number is 192607. I hope the owner or the company will extend this courtesy to me. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Mrs Paula Gossett

VRBOour listing on their website

For the past 10 years we have had our property listed on VRBO same listing, same picture and same info.. Without any problems.. this year we were contact by VRBO that our listing was expiring. Did we want to use their online reservation service or continue to advertise and handle our own reservations. We chose the latter as we are in a remote area and need to have contact with guests.We received a bill for $549.00 but when we received our visa the charge was $756.17 . the VRBO /Homeaway did not mention the fees were in US Funds. However because we had success with this company in the past we decided to pay the amount and use the service Mistake!!!We found that VRBO/HOMEAWAY were reading our emails from our guests wanting to reserve accommodation, and censoring them!!!..now it is impossible to have any contact with this company.. any info that is sent to you is in a from letter, there is no telephone contact .
                  We then were told our listing had been cancelled as it did not meet their compliance? What compliance.. we had an agreement that we would be handling our own correspondence and that we would taking our own reservations!, After numerous form letters nothing was resolved we tried to change the original listing to one unit only to find that we were unable to edit the rates nor the calendar. Plus we could not find the listing anywhere in our area. Since VRBO has become part of the HomeAway organization and has turned into nothing more that a booking agency, , save your money and frustrations go with AIRBNB !!

• Da
                      Danalev Aug 27, 2017

Most everyone on our lake will be pulling their listings. I privately own a 2.4 mil dollar home that I rent 7 times per summer to pay the taxes and upkeep at around $4000 per week. We are very picky to whom we rent and speak to them at length before committing. VRBO/Homeway now wants to hold our rental money we get in say, November, for a rental in July or Aug until after renter moves in. NOT going to happen. Spoke to someone there yesterday who could not tell me what kind of account my money was to be held in, whether interest bearing or not, insured and if so by who, etc. Only a [censor] would do this. Sounds like the makings of a class action law suit

• Da
                      Danalev Aug 27, 2017

I will be canceling my home on VRBO. How dare them keep my money from my rentals on my home until after someone checks in. That is ridiculous. VRBO/Homeaway has given themselves the power to even give your renters their money back making all the decisions. Who keeps the interest on these said rentals? I worked hard to have a multi million dollar home paid for, Ill be damned if VRBO gets to hold MY money for My rental.

• Ar
                      A rip off Aug 27, 2017

@Danalev WE have been on the VRBO web site for the past 10 years, never again! They are trying to copy Airbnb but not giving the service ! After 17 years in operation we will NOT be relisting next year and will be submitting a complaint to the BBB... talked to 3 other vacation rentals. all NOT relisting with Homeaway VRBO

VRBO (Vacation Rentals by Owners)non-transparency of service fee calculation

When I reviewed rental accommodations on the vrbo website, there was no indication of the service fee that VRBO charges, which would add to the expense of any rental agreement. Knowing the service fee in advance would be helpful in deciding which accommodation is affordable. I had contacted the owner of the condo and committed to the reservation before I discovered the hefty service fee charge. It wasnt until I confirmed the booking on the VRBO website that I was informed of the extra cost. In addition, there was no indication as to HOW the VRBO service fee is calculated - And no indication that there would not be a partial refund of the service fee if the reservation was modified. The website indicated that the booking deposit was 100% refundable upon cancellation.

The website technology did not allow me to modify my reservation to change from a 14 day rental to an 8 day rental. The owners had to make the modification. When there is a modification to the booking, the computer system does not re-calculate the service fee.

When I reviewed the VRBO help center it indicates that service fee charges vary from 5% to 12%. Shouldn't travellers be advised in advance whether they are going to pay 5% or up to 12%? When I spoke with a VRBO supervisor I was told that the computer has a formula to determine the percentage charged. Employees, owners and travellers should be aware of the formula.

The computer system will allow me to cancel my reservation of 14 days and rebook for only 8 days - but I dont know if that will result in a higher percentage service fee being charged. Will I take the risk of cancelling and hope that I can rebook only to find that the percentage of the service fee increased and I am paying the same fee for an 8 day stay as for 14 days?

The service fee is supposed to protect renters in the event that a property is not legitimate. With the response I received from VRBO it does not reassure me that they would assist a traveller who finds that their rental agreement is breached.

VRBOlast minute cancellation

I reserved a small apartment in San Francisco for the Memorial Day holiday and for my husband's 60th birthday, May 29-31, 2017. This reservation was confirmed on March 6, 2017. I checked in with Pillow almost until the day we were to check in. I received the code to access the key that morning and saw no cancellation email. The key worked and we entered the apartment to find it a complete disaster. Trash on the floor, dishes in the sink. I called the owner and she was horrified that we were in her apartment. I told her the VRBO did not call to tell me she cancelled. I contacted VRBO and learned that they had EMAILED the cancellation 2 hours before check-in time. They did NOT CALL. I told them they should have called and kept calling. I told them if someone had been home when we entered and not expected us, we could have been hurt, or worse. I was sick to my stomach. It was a total nightmare. At the very least, for safety purposes, someone needs to be responsible for making calls and speaking directly to a customer when these "emergency cancellations" occur.