University of Phoenixdeception and verbal telling of policies to students that are unwritten in student handbook

I want to be in a class action lawsuit against UoP. I feel terribly wronged by them and am looking for other people who want to join a class action lawsuit.

Please contact me at [protected] or [protected]@att.net with your story and support for a class action lawsuit against UoP.

-Elizabeth

My story:

I've been wanting out and UoP is basically wanting to hold me hostage by telling me to "stick with it". They've even threatened me with having to pay for MTE 508 (Models, Theories, and Instructional Strategies).

According to the HELP pages there's supposed to be a withdrawal form if I go into 'PROGRAM' and then 'SERVICES'. However, there is NO form. I feel terribly deceived.

I've been to numerous colleges and universities and had no problem withdrawing from a class or the institution itself. Now, all of a sudden, it seems impossible to get ahold of people and start a formal disenrollment process from the university itself.

A letter was sent to me several months ago telling me when UoP was getting their disbursement and when I was getting mine and my financial aid counselor, /name removed/, even called to inform me that they had their money to cover 'x' amount of credit hours (classes). As far as I'm concerned, they already got the money to cover this course and now I owe the loan people back.

I'm in terrible financial straights and am on the verge of going bankrupt (been 6 months now since I've been unemployed.) I don't know if I'll be able to afford to pay them anything if they come back at me and say I owe 'x' amount of dollars and what's worse is iIf I don't pay whatever they say I owe in 90 days, it goes to collections, who I hear is merciless. Absolutely merciless.

My financial aid cousnelor said we discussed how it all works if I ever had to disenroll and what would happen if I did when we first spoke after my initial enrollment in January. That's nice, but these things need to be covered in writing in their handbook and it's not. There's no written policy outlining withdrawal from the university and the fact you'll eb stuck holding the bag and paying something to them. THIS IS WRONG!

Through some online searches last night, I found numerous complaints against UoP:

I've read numerous things online about how they engage in unethical business practices and it sickens me to no end. I now realize I made a horrible decision by enrolling in UoP.

• Ri
    Rip Off Jun 18, 2009

Kikwy whatever you say thief. Don't choke trying to swallow your sausage. I know you are one of them sitting in your butt getting our money. If you call Axia Online "College" than you are so full of it because the name is not University of Phoenix. Maybe if you get some knowledge then you will not be a ### trying to explain hundreds of students why they have problems with Axia Online. You should get a job with them in ripping students off. Let it be heard, first amendment the right for freedom of speech. Don't try to silence us, Liars Liars you won't shut us that easily.

• Ty
    tyler789 Jun 13, 2009

`Financial Aid covers withdrawal? Is this new? 6 months unemployed? So you’re not working? Why are you not going to college? How many colleges have you been withdrawn from? I see this a lot coming from University of phoenix former students. Elizabeth it sounds like money is the issue. You are currently unemployed and I don’t see how college could not benefit you right now. In this economy you can’t afford not to get a degree. I advise you to stay on top of things and remember the benefits of investing into a college education.

• Ni
    nikwy Jun 10, 2009

You said it yourself, "I've also withdrawn from classes from EVERY college and university I've ever been to and have NEVER had to pay for a class I withdrew from. My financial aid has ALWAYS covered withdrawn classes and I've been left to eventually owe financial aid back if it was paid for in the form of a loan." I am not sure why you bother to enroll in school at all if you do not have any ambition in finishing. Then you want to file a suit against a company for motivating you to, for once, stick with it! If I were any institution I would never put you into my school to begin with. You are a person full of excuses and full of a lack of ambition!